PDA

View Full Version : Pot Luck

ShyGuy75
12-12-2007, 08:02 AM
Anyone have any easy dishes that they make when work puts a gun to your head and forces you to bring something in for pot luck? I don't think a bag of chips will cut it again.

amyzzz
12-12-2007, 08:03 AM
We have a pot luck Friday. I fuckin HATE them. I usually don't participate. I'll bring in cookies on some random day so everyone will love me.

bug on your lip
12-12-2007, 08:04 AM
one dood once brought the "White Trash smorgasboard"
it included Funyuns, Pringles and Pork Rinds

he got in trouble..... Corporate world

J~$$$
12-12-2007, 08:11 AM
bags of skittles.

bug on your lip
12-12-2007, 08:13 AM
how about a Pot full of skittles

J~$$$
mmmmmm....taste the rainbow.

amyzzz
This is easy:

KELLOGG'S RICE KRISPIES TREATS

1/4 cup butter
1 (10 oz., about 40) pkg. regular marshmallows or 3 cups miniature marshmallows
6 cups Kellogg's Rice Krispies cereal

In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add the marshmallows and continue to stir until the marshmallows have completely melted. Remove from heat.
Stir in the Kellogg's Rice Krispies cereal coating them well with the melted marshmallow mixture.

Using a buttered or silicone spatula, press the mixture evenly into a 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan which has been buttered or sprayed with non-stick spray or lined with wax paper.

Cut into squares when the mixture cools.

Makes 24 squares.

MICROWAVE DIRECTIONS:

Microwave butter with marshmallows on high setting for 2 minutes in a microwave safe mixing bowl. Stir together when melted. Microwave again on high for 1 additional minute. Stir in cereal, mixing until well coated. Press into pan as above.

ShyGuy75
12-12-2007, 08:15 AM
I'm leaning towards just going to Ralphs before it starts and getting something from the deli.

For some reason, I want to cook something though. I blame the hang-over.

I should make pot brownies for everyone, watch them all freak out and think they are having heart attacks, and then end up on the national news. I would just blame it on this board.

bug on your lip
12-12-2007, 08:17 AM
can't you just be the guy who brings the 2 liter of Coke ?

Courtney
12-12-2007, 08:24 AM
You could just bring a salad or fresh fruit or something. That's easy. And potlucks always have too many starchy carbohydrate dishes and desserts.

amyzzz
12-12-2007, 08:24 AM
Could you be the plate/napkins/utensils guy?

miscorrections
12-12-2007, 08:27 AM
DEVILED EGGS

ShyGuy75
12-12-2007, 08:29 AM
The plate/napkin idea is already on the list, and we have a 2-Liter guy here who thinks it is his f'cking duty to bring in the pop, so I don't want to step on his toes.

hmmmm...maybe some sort of salad.

canexplain
12-12-2007, 08:30 AM
Could you be the plate/napkins/utensils guy?

when we have those things, i always like to do something sort of off the hook ... one year it was a deep fried turkey (before they became popular), or super super spicy chilie that peeps will talk about for a week, or weird things like peanut butter stuffed jelepenos sp yummmy ... go for it and stick out like a sore thumb ... canx**

Melanie.Dawn
12-12-2007, 08:40 AM
You could just bring a salad or fresh fruit or something. That's easy. And potlucks always have too many starchy carbohydrate dishes and desserts.

I love stachy carbohydrate dishes. Amen for too many. Although , I agree with too many desserts... but that's probably because for some unknown reason, I'm not into dessert. I always think there is too many vegetable and fruit platters. Give me some real food!

when we have those things, i always like to do something sort of off the hook ... one year it was a deep fried turkey (before they became popular),

Also, deep fried turkey is popular because it tastes so awesome. Yay for the popularity of deep fried turkey... even though I know you wern't bashing it for being popular...
Deep fried turkey injected with franks red hot sause. mmm.

Can you tell it is close to my lunch break and I'm starting to digest my own internal organs because I am so hungry... like those salmon do when they swim up river.

Every time I have to bring something to a pot luck, I always bring mashed potatos. They are easy and everyone likes them. But I also make them a secret but amazing way, so that's the real reason everyone likes them.

J~$$$
12-12-2007, 08:46 AM
How do you know they really like them? Maybe they just say they like them. You should put a check box next to your mashed taters.

Do you like mashed potatoes?
Yes []
no[]
maybe[]

Courtney
12-12-2007, 08:48 AM
The plate/napkin idea is already on the list, and we have a 2-Liter guy here who thinks it is his f'cking duty to bring in the pop, so I don't want to step on his toes.

I like doing a big waldorf salad for potlucks because it holds up somewhat well and people like it. Just get a couple bags of pre-washed salad greens and throw on top some seedless red grapes, toasted walnut halves, sliced celery and a sliced apple. The traditional dressing is mayo-lemon juice, but I usually just use whatever sort of vinaigrette I have lying around and bring it separately so it doesn't get soggy.

Another one that looks gorgeous and is really quick if you have a food processor is to grate up a bunch of peeled carrots and beets (uncooked) and toast some pine nuts. Wait till the last minute to throw everything together because the beets with turn everything pink if it sits for too long. Toss with some lemon juice and olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Totally yummy.

TomAz
12-12-2007, 08:55 AM
a crock pot full of chili. really hot chili. teach 'em a lesson.

Melanie.Dawn
12-12-2007, 09:01 AM
How do you know they really like them? Maybe they just say they like them. You should put a check box next to your mashed taters.

Do you like mashed potatoes?
Yes []
no[]
maybe[]

I probably should. I just assume because everyone always eats them. I could be wrong though, for all I know, they are just throwing them out. Who knows. I like them... I guess really, that's all that matters. I kinda wish less people would eat them so I could just take them home and eat them myself.

ShyGuy75
12-12-2007, 09:06 AM
a crock pot full of chili. really hot chili. teach 'em a lesson.

That is a great idea. Throw a little colon cleanser in there too.

bug on your lip
12-12-2007, 09:08 AM
That is a great idea. Throw a little colon cleanser in there too.

RotationSlumWang has a little colon cleanser as well, you could bring him.
But after 5 mins of his yapper movin you'd have to start swearing you don't know who he is

J~$$$
12-12-2007, 09:09 AM
I probably should. I just assume because everyone always eats them. I could be wrong though, for all I know, they are just throwing them out. Who knows. I like them... I guess really, that's all that matters. I kinda wish less people would eat them so I could just take them home and eat them myself.

You sold me. I would like to try your mashed potatoes.

marooko
12-12-2007, 09:10 AM
I'm leaning towards just going to Ralphs before it starts and getting something from the deli.

For some reason, I want to cook something though. I blame the hang-over.

I should make pot brownies for everyone, watch them all freak out and think they are having heart attacks, and then end up on the national news. I would just blame it on this board.

you could buy the stuff yourself and make a cheese and meat plate. that way you kinda cook, or prepare anyway, and you bring something decent.

this will work exactly the same. and it will be good.

PotVsKtl
12-12-2007, 09:25 AM
7xpIlgjUmvM

J~$$$
12-12-2007, 09:29 AM
lol cinnamon bobkah.

SFChrissy
12-12-2007, 09:33 AM

trader joes has dried hibiscus that are great with dried blueberries tossed into a real veggie salad...with vinagrette on the side

menikmati
12-12-2007, 03:37 PM
DEVILED EGGS

I always use to think they were called 'doubled eggs'.

arie117
12-12-2007, 03:41 PM
DEVILED EGGS

mmmmmm. this is what i always bring(=

amyzzz
12-12-2007, 03:43 PM
I :pulse deviled eggs, even though I don't usually like mayonnaise or mustard on anything.

gaypalmsprings
12-12-2007, 03:43 PM
Avoid pasta casseroles

http://www.pest-controls-services.co.uk/cockroach.jpg

arie117
12-12-2007, 03:45 PM
ROACHES!!! nice and crunchy!

thelastgreatman
12-12-2007, 04:14 PM
RotationSlumWang has a little colon cleanser as well, you could bring him.
But after 5 mins of his yapper movin you'd have to start swearing you don't know who he is

My semen doesn't actually clean your colon, Bug. It was a clever ruse.

kitt kat
12-12-2007, 11:31 PM
in these types of situations, i usually bust out the martha stewart in me and whip up a pie.

i make a mean berry pie.

there's these mini cheery cheesecake things you can make that are super easy and super delicious. google it.

ShyGuy75
12-13-2007, 08:48 AM
in these types of situations, i usually bust out the martha stewart in me and whip up a pie.

i make a mean berry pie.

there's these mini cheery cheesecake things you can make that are super easy and super delicious. google it.

How bout you just come make it for me. I will even let you do my laundry too :thu

prettydirtything
12-13-2007, 03:59 PM
Anyone have any easy dishes that they make when work puts a gun to your head and forces you to bring something in for pot luck? I don't think a bag of chips will cut it again.

I had pot luck once. I paid for a half and got a zip.
:sorry

Mr.Nipples
12-13-2007, 04:04 PM
I had pot luck once. I paid for a half and got a zip.
:sorry

fucking hilarious!

Snakeface
12-13-2007, 04:43 PM
Avoid pasta casseroles

http://www.pest-controls-services.co.uk/cockroach.jpg

Can I get that recipe from you?

VOTE PLUMP DJ's '08!!!

ShyGuy75
12-14-2007, 10:02 AM
Since I know everyone is dying in anticipation to know what I brought...I brought in little boneless bbq chicken fingers from the grocery store. I know, I know....a huge cop out. :(

Thanks to everyone who offered their suggestions.

amyzzz
12-14-2007, 10:32 AM
I avoided my pot luck today. I don't have time for this shit.

Melanie.Dawn
12-14-2007, 10:59 AM
Boneless Chicken Fingers are awesome ... and probably better than what most people cooked and brought anyway.

gaypalmsprings
12-14-2007, 11:16 PM
http://www.thebiglug.com/images/crap.jpg