PDA

View Full Version : A Serious Discussion About LA

apostle2
12-11-2007, 09:45 PM
So I've been a lurker on this board for roughly four years now (the entire time I've been at school.) I'm getting to the end of my tenure at college, and I have to decide what to do next. A major part of this decision is of course where I will be spending my future, and in the industries I am going into, there are really only two choices - NYC and LA.

I have always lived on the East Coast, but I know that there will be more jobs for me out in the territories...and I knew from all my years that this board was a place where people would certainly carry opinions about LA, good or bad. So could anybody tell me straight up how they feel about LA?

Anything, anything at all. What it's like to live there, what it's like to have a job there, how much is wildfire insurance, anything.

Also, I'm going to coachella for the first time this year, FINALLY. but that's beside the point.

algunz
12-11-2007, 10:02 PM
LA sucks, stay in New York.

Alchemy
12-11-2007, 10:02 PM
NYC.

tessalasset
12-11-2007, 10:04 PM
I am a huge huge fan of Los Angeles. I kind of have an advantage cause I was born and raised here, so I never feel overwhelmed by how expansive the city is. I love that there are so many different areas - much like New York. I was raised on the West Side (read: west of the 405 freeway) so I actually think it's gorgeous where I live. If you can afford it, definitely live on the west side. It's cleaner, the traffic goes in the opposite direction, and it's much nicer than the rest of Los Angeles, not counting Beverly Hills. I like being able to go back to a quiet part of LA to sleep and then take a trip out to the heart of LA if I need to. You obviously have to have a car to fully enjoy what the city has to offer. So you're looking at monthly insurance payments and gas fillups at the very least.

I want to say so much more but I have to get back to Squirrel Nut Zippers. I will finish this tomorrow maybe.

full on idle
12-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Both cities are famousist for the fake as hell people within em. If you've lived in LA for four years an haven't found a real spot I'd say go back to NYC. A much realer place overall, even if the richest people have been richer longer than the richest people in LA.

Basically, move to Minneapolis.

Hannahrain
12-11-2007, 10:08 PM
When it's that small and just out of the corner of my eye when I'm reading the main post, the No Country for Old Men cover looks like Hitler. The man running is the mustache.

That is all.

luckyface
12-11-2007, 10:23 PM
I moved out to LA a year and a half ago and I pretty much hate it. But I am more at ease in a smaller big city. The live music scene is unparalleled and there is always a lot to do. The weather can't be beat, either. But there are way too many people and the majority of them are asshats. Oh and don't worry about wildfire insurance if you are in the middle of the city. If you decide to live around a forest or in Malibu, then you can worry about that.

I have been to NYC once and I really enjoyed my time there. With that said, I think I would hate it a lot more than LA. Way too crowded, claustrophobic, and the weather is abysmal.

suprefan
12-11-2007, 10:31 PM
I want to say so much more but I have to get back to Squirrel Nut Zippers. I will finish this tomorrow maybe.

Please dont tel me Andrew Bird is going to show up at this show.

And I love L.A. I live in the valley, its nice and quiet and you could probably find a place around here for not so much $$. Its easy to get aroudn to places if you want to use public transportation to its fullest extent. Of course its not as expansive as NYCs metro, but the subway here takes you lots of places you would want to go, and then you save money on gas and parking. The only thing is that the trains stop at about 1am so you better not be out too late or you gotta grab a cab. The music scene is equal or better than NYC and you have access to the entire state of Cali, oh and Mexico and Vegas are a mere 2 or 3 hour drive away. How can you beat that? Sin City and real mexican food at your beck and call. Also San Francisco is a 5 - 6 hour drive away so you can feel like you are in NYC again when you see that town.

kreutz2112
I have nothing to contribute to this except that I went to a science meeting at UCLA and that was cool. I also saw Pearl Jam in New York and that was cool.

Dont move to Utah. I drink weak beer and have 7 moms.

bmack86
I really like both. Why not cut your losses and just go to Chicago? Calmer than either, and there's some great stuff there.

bballarl
12-11-2007, 10:32 PM
San Francisco.

suprefan
12-11-2007, 10:33 PM
I have nothing to contribute to this except that I went to a science meeting at UCLA and that was cool. I also saw Pearl Jam in New York and that was cool.

Dont move to Utah. I drink weak beer and have 7 moms.

Well I like SLC, its quiet and the air is clean, people are nice to me there.(not to say they are not nice here) Oh and I snowboard, so of course I have a bias. And SUNDANCE.

San Francisco.

Ill second that if you are considering cali in general.

apostle2
12-11-2007, 10:33 PM
this is all really really helpful, including but not limited to the hitler optical illusion.

There are a bunch of things influencing my decision, but some of them obviously can't be changed, like job availability, proximity to family, etc. I think I would really rather be in a smaller big city like Minneapolis or Austin or something, but I'm just not finding jobs in those places...haha.

What I don't really like about NYC is that I feel claustrophobic, there are too many people, it's a little dirty, I like to be able to drive, and sometimes I want to just get away, which can't be done there. Also, people are kinda douches.

also, things like live music scene are very important to me. And like transportation out (airports, etc.)

wmgaretjax
12-11-2007, 10:35 PM
i'm applying to a great PhD program at USC, but I dont want to live in LA. I kinda hope I don't get in. I probably won't, so it doesn't matter.

apostle2
12-11-2007, 10:38 PM
I would definitely do Chicago (one of my favorite cities in the world) or San Francisco (heard amazing things) if I could, but I am going to be doing television/film (would be doing music industry if I could) so they aren't really possibilities

suprefan
12-11-2007, 10:38 PM
I am calling USC to have them let you in there for school. Hello, hollywood Bowl shows all summer man!!! $2 tickets!!! Radiohead more than once in your city!!!

luckyface
12-11-2007, 10:39 PM
What about Seattle or Portland? Could you do one of those cities? They have great music scenes and they are smaller big cities.

And USC rules!

bballarl
12-11-2007, 10:39 PM
I love West LA. There's a lot of charm amidst LA's sprawl here. LAX is literally 5 minutes from the condo I share with my roommate. It's away from most of the hustle and bustle, which is nice. Commuting to and back from the valley for work (I intern at Warner Bros. Records) is a bummer, but good tunes make the drive bearable.

What I've learned in my short time here is that the broad generalization that "LA sucks" is totally untrue. I will always love the Bay Area more, but LA is so big that you will discover the little pockets of it that are cool/have character/you are comfortable in. Yes, there are fake people, etc, but there are plenty of awesome people as well. There is plenty to do here, especially if you love music.

apostle2
12-11-2007, 10:41 PM
Some of these endorsements are actually sounding great to me. Alas, I am going to prove my ignorance here and state that I have no idea about where things are located in LA. If I were to move there, I would most likely be working in the burbank/studio city/ van nuys area. So what does that do for me?

bballarl
12-11-2007, 10:43 PM
That's the Valley. That's where Warner Bros is, etc. I am not super-familiar with it beyond commuting to work, but I'm sure other people can help you out.

xbnmx
12-11-2007, 10:50 PM
Both cities are famousist for the fake as hell people within em. If you've lived in LA for four years an haven't found a real spot I'd say go back to NYC. A much realer place overall, even if the richest people have been richer longer than the richest people in LA.

Basically, move to Minneapolis.

I agree, LA is the fakest of the fake. The pretention capital of the world.

apostle2
12-11-2007, 10:57 PM
I do have a big problem with fake people, but I guess there are a lot of fake people everywhere. Also, I should probably not be doing entertainment stuff if I don't like fake people...hahaha

keriann
12-11-2007, 11:00 PM
I love West LA. There's a lot of charm amidst LA's sprawl here. LAX is literally 5 minutes from the condo I share with my roommate. It's away from most of the hustle and bustle, which is nice. Commuting to and back from the valley for work (I intern at Warner Bros. Records) is a bummer, but good tunes make the drive bearable.

What I've learned in my short time here is that the broad generalization that "LA sucks" is totally untrue. I will always love the Bay Area more, but LA is so big that you will discover the little pockets of it that are cool/have character/you are comfortable in. Yes, there are fake people, etc, but there are plenty of awesome people as well. There is plenty to do here, especially if you love music.

I pretty much agree with this. I grew up in Northern California where people pretty much vehemently hate LA. I never thought I would move here and like it. I sincerely believe LA is what you make of it. I live on the Westside as well so I'm a little bit spoiled and don't know if I'd like living here as much if I lived in the middle of the city or in the valley. But the music scene is awesome, the weather is fantastic, and you can find just about anything here that you'd find in any other city as long as you're willing to look. Besides good public transportation. If you have to work in Burbankish, you could live on the Eastside (Silverlake, Echo Park, Los Feliz), where there is a bit of a bohemian, arty, hipstery community. If that's your thing.

I'd say probably the hardest thing about moving to LA is making good friends in the beginning because there are a lot of shitty people here. But once you have that, I think life is pretty good.

bballarl
12-11-2007, 11:04 PM
I do have a big problem with fake people, but I guess there are a lot of fake people everywhere. Also, I should probably not be doing entertainment stuff if I don't like fake people...hahaha

You might be surprised. In my very limited experience at WBR, I've found the people around me to be awesome. But I get your point.

algunz
12-11-2007, 11:06 PM
"What I've learned in my short time here is that the broad generalization that "LA sucks" is totally untrue."

Yes, you're right, b. It's an easy out for some of us. Honestly though I have learned to enjoy LA. After returning to SoCal from 4 years in NYC, I had a VERY hard time transitioning and relearning to tolerate the quirks of the area. I worked in LA as a PA for television and driving around the city for hours at a time, at all hours of the day and night was horrible. But now that my ventures to LA consist of only entertainment and shopping, I have learned to greatly appreciate what the city has to offer. Although driving around it is still torturous.

I guess my point is that no LA doesn't totally suck. My biggest beef would be that everything is so spread out and just not as easy to access as NYC. But it's got so many great music venues and cool little neighborhoods for shopping and people watching.

bballarl
12-11-2007, 11:09 PM
I pretty much agree with this. I grew up in Northern California where people pretty much vehemently hate LA. I never thought I would move here and like it. I sincerely believe LA is what you make of it. I live on the Westside as well so I'm a little bit spoiled and don't know if I'd like living here as much if I lived in the middle of the city or in the valley. But the music scene is awesome, the weather is fantastic, and you can find just about anything here that you'd find in any other city as long as you're willing to look. Besides good public transportation. If you have to work in Burbankish, you could live on the Eastside (Silverlake, Echo Park, Los Feliz), where there is a bit of a bohemian, arty, hipstery community. If that's your thing.

I'd say probably the hardest thing about moving to LA is making good friends in the beginning because there are a lot of shitty people here. But once you have that, I think life is pretty good.

I think this is true of any place, but LA is what you make of it. A friend of mine (one of maybe 5 true friends I have at LMU) is transferring. He is from the Bay Area too, and one of the main reasons he cites for leaving is the traditional LA stereotype: the people are fake and image-centric, etc. The fact is, there are plenty of awesome people here. My friend has made himself miserable because he has made NO effort to try and find things he enjoys in LA. Granted, he hasn't had a car here. But he has decided that he hates the entire city based on the LMU campus. He looks for reasons to hate LA. If you do this anywhere, you will be miserable.

So the point is, if you make the effort to find things in the city, the city will give back to you. You will find the places you are comfortable and people who you enjoy being around. There is plenty of awesome stuff here: you just have to go out and find it.

apostle2
12-11-2007, 11:12 PM
this part of the discussion can actually probably help me quite a lot, seeing as how if I go to LA, chances are very, very good that I will be a PA for television. I'm just not sure if I will be able to be a gopher for as long as I will need to be to break in.

apostle2
12-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Yeah, I definitely understand the point about a city being what you make of it. Another side question: never been to LA before, and I am flying out for 4 days in early January...what should I do there to best get the feel?

wmgaretjax
12-11-2007, 11:16 PM
What about Seattle or Portland? Could you do one of those cities? They have great music scenes and they are smaller big cities.

And USC rules!

yeah. i love seattle. i also love san francisco. there just isn't much about LA that I enjoy (besides all the music). At least, not much that I can't find somewhere else.

Side note, how is public transport in LA? Every time I've been there I've had a rental car...

algunz
There is plenty of awesome stuff here: you just have to go out and find it.

And that's the biggest problem. LA takes a lot more effort than other cities. Not only with getting around, but with dealing with the "element." The element being the falseness that is so prevelant.

bballarl
Drive around aimlessly. It's a huge place. Plus, you'll get stuck in traffic and have to deal with the fuckhead drivers. That is one thing that is absolutely, 100% true about Los Angeles: driving down here sucks le ballsack.

apostle2
12-11-2007, 11:21 PM
haha yeah, at least I love driving. Also, it's a totally different kind of shitty driving where I'm from: crazy, crazy snow.

Maybe I will just get myself lost for a couple hours and see where that takes me.

ruetheday
12-11-2007, 11:26 PM
L.A. blows. I lived there for a short period of time. I became an alcoholic within days. There is nothing to do but drink and the bars are expensive.

luckyface
12-11-2007, 11:27 PM
yeah. i love seattle. i also love san francisco. there just isn't much about LA that I enjoy (besides all the music). At least, not much that I can't find somewhere else.

Side note, how is public transport in LA? Every time I've been there I've had a rental car...

On the westside, it is pretty much nonexistent. There are buses that run everywhere and don't give a shit about the other drivers on the road, so they can get you where you need to go quickly. But I personally have yet to try them out, as there isn't a pickup that is super close. To get where I need to go, I would need to take 2 or 3 buses, which will not work as I like to roll into work as close to when I am supposed to be there as possible.

Other parts of the city have trains you can take, which I hear are nice. But there are none near me, so I am SOL. So yeah, in short, I have no idea hahaha.

apostle2
12-11-2007, 11:49 PM
How is it driving within individual neighborhoods? Like, I know it takes forever a lot of the time to get from one neighborhood to one farther away, but could I just get into my car and drive to a restaurant in my area no problem? I'm sure it's very neighborhood dependent.

Also, what is most of the parking like for apartments? On street, big lots...?

tessalasset
12-12-2007, 12:07 AM
Parking for apartments totally depends on the area. If it's an apartment-centric area, the parking can absolutely blow and you'll end up parking four blocks away depending on what time you get home. Try to find a place with a parking spot included.

Whenever I have friends come to town for the first time, I'll bring them to Venice Beach, the Getty Museum, and cruise down the Sunset Strip at night. (Sorry, Jennie, I know that's exactly what we did, but I'm not that creative). You should definitely go to the Getty Museum and find the southeast upper patio that will give you 270 degree view of what you're getting in to.

You can definitely find restaurants in your neighborhood no problem. If you end up living in Burbank or Studio City, there are actually some really nice areas of both, depending on your budget. If I had to live in the valley (shudder) it would be in one of those two places. Gabe (schoolofruckus on the board) used to live about five minutes walking distance from Warner Bros in a really really cute residential area of Burbank that had big quiet streets with lawns and single family homes. I liked it a lot. Now he lives in the ghetto of North Hollywood. Try to stay out of Van Nuys if you can. It's pretty depressing. The whole valley is depressing to me but Burbank/SC are definitely the nicest parts of it. And yeah I wouldn't want to live on the west side and make that commute every day. (Andrew, how do you do it???) That would murder me.

After spending 20 years of my life here, I have come to the conclusion that an overwhelming majority of the fake people in Los Angeles are not actually from Los Angeles, but rather moved here to be in the "industry" and are just living up to stereotypes they read about growing up. And honestly, even myself working in the industry now, it's not hard to avoid the fake assholes. I have quality people in my life right now. And you know what? A large portion of them are from this very message board. Basically, you just gotta look to make friends/gfs/bfs in places that make sense. Bars aren't going to cut it. If you go to bars in trendy parts of town, you're going to meet the fake assholes. Find your own little dive bars where people don't give a shit how you're dressed. Don't fall into the "I know someone who can get us into Hyde" crowd cause who wants that shit? It's disgusting. I stay as far away from that as possible.

Apostle, the more I read your responses the more I think you'd actually make a very good fit in Los Angeles.

thelastgreatman
12-12-2007, 12:53 AM
Alright, Apostle, here's the real deal:

First, it's important that we consider where you're coming from. I know you've lived in New York for a few years now, but where did you grow up? Also, you say the peopl in NY are douches. What didn't you like about them exactly?

Here's the difficult thing about LA--how committed are you to the tv/film industry? You say you'd rather do the music thing, so why aren't you doing it? Cause honestly, if you want to enjoy your life, don't do it. This isn't just some bullshit talk--DON'T FUCKING DO IT. Unless you absolutely love moving picture art and can't envision doing anything else with your life, don't do it. You will meet nothing but horrible people and you basically HAVE to live in LA to do it. Yeah, people say you don't, but you do. Almost the entire industry is based here, if you live anywhere else in the country your job prospects are going to be a tenth what they are here, you have to live here. And it blows.

If you move here and you live on the westside the neighborhood looks nice but the people are all rich assholes. Working in Burbank/Studio City is actually kind of nice--the apartments are affordable and there's actually parking everywhere. You only really face annoying parking situations when you're going to Hollywood or the westside. And living in the Burbanki area means you'll be a tolerable commute from Hollywood and the east side which is where all the kinda cool stuff happens.

The other really important question is do you already have some friends that live in LA? If you don't, you better be prepared to have your soul killed. I'm not kidding, either--having to start over in this town without any existing friends will fucking destroy you. You better be self-sufficient socially and a very strong person, because it's going to be brutal.

That said, the advantage to LA is that aside from the people it's a pretty decent place. It's the mecca of entertainment so there's always cool shit to do, just no one worth talking to to do it with. As long as you don't have to make a cross-city commute for work you can pretty much always live around the traffic. The weather's great, things are generally fairly pretty.

You need to consider just how good the job you're going to be moving to is, how much you want to work in this industry, and whether you have some people you really want to spend time with out here.

xbnmx
12-12-2007, 01:03 AM
LA has bangin' parties with the tons of great talent every night of the week, no on disagrees. But the scene and people suck. Not in a lackluster, uninspired San Diego way, but in a god awful pretentious, showing, in your face way. I say do music and do it in San Francisco.

R3d Snapper
12-12-2007, 02:20 AM
San Francisco, hands fucking down. I came to la from SF and regret that decision every. single. day. I agree with everything LGM said. If the music scene in la is a big part of your decision, all the acts you'd want to see will play the bay area anyway.

fatbastard
12-12-2007, 05:35 AM
When it's that small and just out of the corner of my eye when I'm reading the main post, the No Country for Old Men cover looks like Hitler. The man running is the mustache.

That is all.

I seen this movie on Thanksgiving. It was quite enjoyable.

TomAz
12-12-2007, 06:18 AM
my favorite US cities, ranked:

1. NYC
2. San Francisco
3. Chicago
4. Austin
5. Boston
6. Seattle
7. San Diego
8. Houston, but only cuz I lived there for a long time and know where all the cool places are.
9. DC
10. Phoenix (see #8)

not on the list, for good reason, are Dallas, Atlanta, Tampa, Kansas City, St Louis, and Los Angeles.

not on the list, because I don't know them at all, are Portland, Minneapolis, and Detroit.

not on the list because why would anybody think of them, are San Antonio and Milwaukee.

gaypalmsprings
12-12-2007, 06:23 AM
The west coast, especially during the holidays, baby!

http://www.cannabinoid.com/boards/marketplace/media/125/125960.jpg

thinnerair
12-12-2007, 07:01 AM
Also San Francisco is a 5 - 6 hour drive away so you can feel like you are in NYC again when you see that town.

I am gonna go ahead and say that I am sure that you don't really know what you're talking about.

New York and San Francisco are TOTALLY different.

It also depends on what part of New York City you are planning on moving to.
The five boroughs all offer something different and are accessible as fuck through the subways. Living in Brooklyn is a totally different experience than Manhattan. As far as being 'crowded' and all that, just avoid Times Square and other touristy crowded areas and you are fine.

TomAz
12-12-2007, 07:08 AM
my dream is to hit lotto and buy a place near Washington Square and go see bands every night.

J~$$$
12-12-2007, 07:12 AM
Isnt Montreal or Toronto the hollywood of the great white north? Those might be cool options.

marooko
12-12-2007, 07:13 AM
the first couple posts got it down. NYC baby.

shakermaker113
12-12-2007, 07:21 AM
I loved LA, but then again I went to college there. if I moved there after college, knowing no-one, then it might have been more like LGM says. oh, and you can't really survive there without a car. you can, technically, but it sucks.

LA is a place some people love and others hate with a passion. as you can see from the responses to this thread. I guess you can have both positive and negative experiences in that city. mine were all positive, but that's not the case for everyone.

arbouler
12-12-2007, 08:13 AM
i thought LA sucked cuz i lived near USC area for four years. then i moved to we-ho/ beverly hills area this past summer and now i have a great time here! great neighborhood, more centralized, better food, less ghetto people. also i dont see cop cars pulling over someone's driveway and handcuffing some dude near SC area anymore.

except the drive around town is a bit annoying. it used to take 20 minutes to get anywhere in LA (according to Clueless) but now it takes about 30 minutes. however, due to my terrific driving skills, i get to and from LAX area from Bev Hills in about 25 mins average.

Courtney
12-12-2007, 08:36 AM
I've lived in both New York and LA, and I'd say that how much you like living in these cities is largely contingent on:

1) whether you can find/afford a decent place to live in a good neighborhood
2) whether you have/make friends with good people
3) whether you are willing to make the effort to get out and explore the city
4) whether you refuse to let big city life and crime scare you

In Los Angeles, I'd add a fifth:

5) whether you can afford to have a car

Seriously, both cities are pretty awesome, for entirely different reasons. It's win-win.

Benis23
12-12-2007, 09:18 AM
I lived in LA for four years in college, and one thing that no one has mentioned yet is that LA has the worst air quality in the country. I'm from san diego, and even driving back and forth between LA and san diego, I could notice a big difference in the air. They built this huge, populated city in a valley, which makes the air quality just horrendous.

There are also plenty of superficial people here, who are very concerned with their appearance, their clothes, going to the gym all the time, etc. But like other people have said, there are plenty of cool people here too - it can just be hard to find them sometimes.

LA is also pretty racially diverse, and there's a fair amount of racial tension. I mean, there's a reason that movie Crash took place in LA.

I've had customer service jobs in LA and san diego, and people are easily more friendly in san diego. And from what I've heard, people in new york are much more friendly than people in LA.

apostle2
12-12-2007, 09:23 AM
ok, awesome. I guess I will answer some of these questions since everyone really seems to have a grasp on what they are talking about.

I grew up in Syracuse, which is a small, cold city with nothing but college basketball and two good concerts a year. Never lived in a big city, but always wanted to consider myself a "big city person" whatever that might mean. What I didn't like about the people in NYC is that everyone seemed to HATE everyone else. No one seems cool, and everyone seems like they are worried that the person next to them is going to pick their pocket.

I would rather be doing music industry stuff, the reason I'm not is because when applying to school's, I didn't get into the big recorded music program and I did get into the television radio film program, and that pretty much made my decision. Now I feel like it would be much, much harder to break into music. But I DO love tv/film, don't get my wrong. It's just my number two.

As far as neighborhoods, I actually have to friends (more like acquaintances) living in a complex in burbank, and I was looking at being there. It's where Chyna lives, but that was one of the places I was looking at because I am definitely a little short on $$.

I am not super strong and self-sufficient socially, but I will already know some people there, and have maybe 4 friends there, mostly people from my major. I will also be moving out with a roommate friend if I go. Also, I will have many posts on this board by then and be going to concerts, so I figured I could meet people that way. None of the people I will know are into music, but that's kind of how it has always been.

Also, I have a shitty neon. It's lame, but it's a car. You've actually given me a lot to think about LGM. Thanks a lot.

I will definitely want to explore the city. But big city crime does scare me.

SFChrissy
12-12-2007, 09:30 AM
San Francisco.nelllmmpppp!!!

apostle2
12-12-2007, 09:44 AM
Also, more importantly, I keep hearing about in and out burger from my friends, but I don't eat red meat (not to save the animals, to save me a couple pounds) do they have any good chicken stuff there?

Benis23
12-12-2007, 09:51 AM
No, don't think so. Just burgers and grilled cheese.

canexplain
12-12-2007, 09:52 AM
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/canexplain/2liveanddie_1.jpg

i lived in La Habra for 3 years and worked in LA .... i loved it but my ex hated it .... she won ... canx**

apostle2
12-12-2007, 09:53 AM
If everything else comes out really close, that might be the make or break right there...haha. Also, can someone tell me how long the drive actually is from LA to Indio, not how long mapquest says it is?

ShyGuy75
12-12-2007, 09:54 AM
If everything else comes out really close, that might be the make or break right there...haha. Also, can someone tell me how long the drive actually is from LA to Indio, not how long mapquest says it is?

2 hours 4 minutes 37 seconds

tessalasset
12-12-2007, 10:19 AM
yeah it takes about 2 hours without traffic. i'd say around 4 hours if there's terrible traffic. all depends on when you leave i.e. don't leave in late afternoon on thursday.

if you live on the west side your air quality will be significantly better than the rest of los angeles cause we get the ocean breeze and marine layer fucking shit up all the time and it rules. that's why i love the west side so much is it always feels so clean. it's coolest in the summer and warmest in the winter.

also i never am afraid about people robbing my shit. i seriously couldn't live like that.

thelastgreatman
12-12-2007, 10:32 AM
ok, awesome. I guess I will answer some of these questions since everyone really seems to have a grasp on what they are talking about.

I grew up in Syracuse, which is a small, cold city with nothing but college basketball and two good concerts a year. Never lived in a big city, but always wanted to consider myself a "big city person" whatever that might mean. What I didn't like about the people in NYC is that everyone seemed to HATE everyone else. No one seems cool, and everyone seems like they are worried that the person next to them is going to pick their pocket.

I would rather be doing music industry stuff, the reason I'm not is because when applying to school's, I didn't get into the big recorded music program and I did get into the television radio film program, and that pretty much made my decision. Now I feel like it would be much, much harder to break into music. But I DO love tv/film, don't get my wrong. It's just my number two.

As far as neighborhoods, I actually have to friends (more like acquaintances) living in a complex in burbank, and I was looking at being there. It's where Chyna lives, but that was one of the places I was looking at because I am definitely a little short on $$.

I am not super strong and self-sufficient socially, but I will already know some people there, and have maybe 4 friends there, mostly people from my major. I will also be moving out with a roommate friend if I go. Also, I will have many posts on this board by then and be going to concerts, so I figured I could meet people that way. None of the people I will know are into music, but that's kind of how it has always been.

Also, I have a shitty neon. It's lame, but it's a car. You've actually given me a lot to think about LGM. Thanks a lot.

I will definitely want to explore the city. But big city crime does scare me.

If you didn't like NY because of the rudeness then you're probably more likely to like LA. Everybody acts like they're nice here, nobody makes fun of anybody--in other words, they're all fucking lame. But being from small town in NY state I can see how you probably value pleasant interaction. Problem is everybody's nice only because everybody is insanely concerned with people liking them, emphasis being on THEM. At least in NY people don't expect anyone to think much of them because everyone treats everyone like the jerkoffs they are. Here EVERYBODY expects you to think well of them just because they pretend to be nice.

Holy shit, wait a minute, I think my buddy lives in that complex. It's on Tujunga Ave, right? That would be a funny coincidence as he's one of maybe five friends I have here. That area's nice enough, don't have to worry about getting mugged or anything, decent availabilty of shops right nearby, street parking usually available within a block at the most.

marooko
12-12-2007, 11:12 AM
the town i grew up in had a higher violent crime rate per capita than philly. we had less than half the people and twice the crime. big city crime shouldnt be factor in this decision, especially considering how much NYC has been cleaned up.

thinnerair
12-12-2007, 11:24 AM
You're damned if you do. You're damned if you don't.

apostle2
12-12-2007, 12:34 PM
What areas are considered the west side, and would it be an insane commute from there to the valley?

Also, it's not as much the small town thing, as that if I HAVE to talk to somebody, I would rather have it be pleasant. But I don't know if I would rather have that and fake, or the opposite. Also, I don't really care if people like me, so does that give me an advantage? haha

Also, I lived in London for a couple months, and the crime there was totally doable for me - there was an insane amount of petty crime, but violent crime is pretty much nonexistent. As long as I feel physically safe, I am fine.

ruetheday
12-12-2007, 12:36 PM
Well if you want to stay physically safe I would recommend Lynwood or Watts. Those are probably the two safest areas of Los Angeles. The drive to the Valley is a little further but it's worth it for the comfort.

thelastgreatman
12-12-2007, 12:41 PM
The west side is anything west of the 405--Santa Monica, Venice, and also West LA, Brentwood, Beverly Hills--fucking nightmarish hellholes of traffic. Trust me, don't fucking live on the westside. The 405 alone is reason to stay as far away from there as possible. That fucking freeway has made me contemplate suicide more times than I can count and I'm not even kidding. It will make you despise living there. With the exception of Tessa who's a lovely person, the westside is mostly beloved by rich assholes who think LA is really neat. In other words, they suck. Live near where you work, it's perfectly nice there--again only rich assholes have that whole complex about how horrible "the valley" is (again, not counting Tessa). Living a reasonable commute away from work is essential as rush hour is pretty much unbelievably bad here, like nowhere else in the country. Plus for me that's the place to live anyway in terms of affordability/parking/easy access to cool stuff on the east side and in Hollywood.

thinnerair
12-12-2007, 12:50 PM
I had a friend that lived in Hermosa Beach. I went to visit and it was really nice. He loved it there. He fucked, like, a thousand girls in Hermosa Beach.
He loved it.

ShyGuy75
12-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Lots of bitter misinformation on this thread. Interesting.

I love living out here. Never had much of a problem with much of anything that is written about on this thread.

"The west side is anything west of the 405--Santa Monica, Venice, and also West LA, Brentwood, Beverly Hills"

Ummmm, not so much. West LA and Bevely Hills are east of the 405, no?

Stop being a Bitter Betty east coast *** greatman. You live in the valley dude. Step one is recognizing the problem. Step two is washing it off :winkiss

apostle2
12-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Yeah, I think at this point the valley seems fine to me, especially parts that are affordable. I know I already asked this once, but does anybody else have suggestions of things I should do in the four days I am going out for in january?

tessalasset
12-12-2007, 01:23 PM
West LA and Bevely Hills are east of the 405, no?

is "West LA" even an actual location? I always thought West LA was synonymous with Westside. My favorite areas are Pacific Palisades, Brentwood, Santa Monica, Mar Vista, Venice Beach, Marina Del Rey, and Playa Del Rey. I'm seriously considering finding a place in Playa Del Rey even tho the commute would suck.

I think I don't have such a problem with the traffic because of three reasons:

1) I leave for work at 9 am from the west side to go to the Miracle Mile and leave around 7:30/8 pm to go from Miracle Mile to west side. Traffic is against me both ways. I always always feel bad for the people on the other side of the freeway stuck in bumper to bumper traffic.

2) I've found all the side streets to get to most areas I need to get to in LA which severely cuts down on the amount of freeway driving I do.

3) I've grown up in this traffic and learned to drive in this traffic. It is pretty much all I know. So I'm used to it. I just have plenty of good music in my car at all times and I know if I leave work at 6 pm on a Friday to go out to the Glasshouse I'm gonna have to give myself an extra 2 hours or so to get there.

If you can learn to live with the traffic and plan accordingly, it's not that bad. It sucks that you can't sleep in more or do other things in that time, but it's manageable.

And I love this thread.

tessalasset
12-12-2007, 01:28 PM
Go to the Getty Museum, go to Venice Beach, maybe Third Street Promenade, Sunset Strip at night if you've never been, go to a show, go ice skating in the middle of downtown at Pershing Square (altho coming from Syracuse thats probably the last thing you want to do), go to Bossa Nova, drive up to Zuma if you want to go to the beach, check out the park overlooking the beach on the cliffs in Santa Monica, go to the Pier, check out upcoming.org to see what events are going on during the days you'll be out here.

thelastgreatman
12-12-2007, 01:30 PM
Lots of bitter misinformation on this thread. Interesting.

I love living out here. Never had much of a problem with much of anything that is written about on this thread.

"The west side is anything west of the 405--Santa Monica, Venice, and also West LA, Brentwood, Beverly Hills"

Ummmm, not so much. West LA and Bevely Hills are east of the 405, no?

Stop being a Bitter Betty east coast *** greatman. You live in the valley dude. Step one is recognizing the problem. Step two is washing it off :winkiss

Allow me to clarify the sentence: The west side is anything west of the 405--Santa Monica, Venice--but also some towns just on the other side of it but west of Los Angeles city proper--West LA, Brentwood, Beverly Hills. And West LA is actually a small town, Tessa, I was kinda surprised myself.

ShyGuy, you're from Chicago and now you live down the block from West Hollywood. You need to start choosing locations by a factor other than the highest number of cocks sucked locally. =)

J~$$$
Whats the best place in LA to flex and strut?

tessalasset
Muscle Beach

J~$$$
12-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Hot.

tessalasset
12-12-2007, 01:34 PM
That's so weird. West Los Angeles is like a 1 mile radius. But what's funny is I really never did know what to call that area. I wasn't sure if the area was Brentwood or Santa Monica or what. How interesting.

Courtney
12-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Everyone I know who is living/has lived in the valley hates LA. I'm not sure if that's an anomaly, but just sayin.

ShyGuy75
12-12-2007, 01:57 PM
ShyGuy, you're from Chicago and now you live down the block from West Hollywood. You need to start choosing locations by a factor other than the highest number of cocks sucked locally. =)

LOL! Touche' my friend.

thelastgreatman
12-12-2007, 02:09 PM
We move to the valley because LA sucks.

Derekx
12-12-2007, 02:27 PM
Cali - In-n-Out.

TomAz
12-12-2007, 02:33 PM
9TEfj_dwXVA

vinylmartyr
12-12-2007, 04:05 PM
I lived in the Valley and I love LA.

vinylmartyr
12-12-2007, 04:05 PM
Move to Hollywood btw its still cheaper than most areas.

arie117
12-12-2007, 04:08 PM
yay for la!

thelastgreatman
12-12-2007, 04:09 PM
I lived in the Valley and I love LA.

Dope's readily available in the valley.

Coincidence? =)

psychic friend
12-12-2007, 04:44 PM
I have lived in the valley and in Hollywood. I liked both for different reasons. Ultimately I am back in No Ho with a way bigger and nicer apartment in a residential area with plenty of parking and little to no traffic. I couldn't find that same combo in Hollywood, westside, east side or whatever at a price I could afford.

I'm very happy.

arbouler
12-12-2007, 06:12 PM
Well if you want to stay physically safe I would recommend Lynwood or Watts. Those are probably the two safest areas of Los Angeles. The drive to the Valley is a little further but it's worth it for the comfort.

lynwood is kinda ghetto imo...

what i think about la neighborhoods:

usc and downtown are very ghetto

old people live in brentwood, beverlywood, beverly hills

rich people own the hills

hipsters run silverlake, echo park and los feliz

marina del rey, playa del rey, venice, santa monica, p palisades, malibu: preppy

culver city: shitty urban planning.

baldwin hills is quite gorgeous, i only drive through it everyday to work.

nothing to say about inglewood, manchester and el segundo.

hancock park and miracle mile are great areas to live in.

hollywood: douchy

we ho: faggy

park la brea is just an annoyance. if the grove weren't there smack in the center of the city, traffic around it would be so much better.

menikmati
12-12-2007, 06:54 PM
I don't want to live in a big city.

goodgrl
12-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Well, since your from the east coast maybe you should find yourself a job in
NYC. You'd be near family and allow yourself to become somewhat financially stable. Make new buisness contacts which could possibly lead you into LA.

I personally LOVE NYC. If it werent for coachella I dont think I would bother
heading out west.

Also the weather thing is a little hard to get used to. People are wearing parkas in 60 degree weather. Made me laugh. I am from the midwest and would totally miss the winters.

You definetly owe it to yourself to try the eastcoast thing even if for only a couple of years.

YEAH the one thing I envy about you westcoast nutbags is your music scene.

Tylerdurden31
12-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Also San Francisco is a 5 - 6 hour drive away so you can feel like you are in NYC again when you see that town.

I know nando covered this already...but dude...you've obviously either never been to one of the two cities (I'm guessing NYC) or you're just a complete idiot

And regarding LA vs. NYC.

personal opinion: I fucking hate LA. It's fucking gross, the people are fake as shit and there's waaaaaaaaay more traffic in LA than new york.

I don't really know what the LA music scene is like, but I'll say that EVERYBODY comes through NYC. Those acts that most of the country doesn't get to see and only do a few shows a year...it's almost always NYC and somewhere else. As Goldfinger once said, "FUCK LA!" Yes...I just quoted Goldfinger...big whup wanna fight about it?

thelastgreatman
12-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Can't it be both? I'm pretty sure it's both.

JustSteve
12-12-2007, 10:35 PM
for all you l.a. lovers...

$20 "L.A." tattoo from Kat Von D to set Guinness world Record
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=554683&blogid=334747859&page=3

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q166/katvondla/LA.png

chrislasf
12-12-2007, 11:16 PM
By my approximation, 95% of you people know fuckall about this city. Seriously. Grade A fucking retards. I'll wax on this shit tomorrow.

kitt kat
12-12-2007, 11:25 PM
Los Angeles is a shithole of contradictions and hypocrites.

Then again, NYC isn't all great either. Everytime I've been there, I've gotten sick to my stomach.

I mean, it is possible to find your niche in LA...but I've determined that I'd be happier back home in San Francisco when it's all said and done.

You need to go there and explore before you make a choice, really.

kitt kat
12-12-2007, 11:28 PM
I know I already asked this once, but does anybody else have suggestions of things I should do in the four days I am going out for in january?

1. Go to the Getty.
2. Go be a traditional tourist on Hollywood Boulevard. It's a trip.
3. At 3am, go grab cheap Mexican food from El Gran Burrito on the corner of Vermont and Santa Monica. Bring cash.
4. I contend that the best shopping is in Little Tokyo.
5. PINKS.
6. Take a drive up the PCH.
7. Go to Venice.
8. Walk around Hollywood Forever.
9. DISNEYLAND (ok, it's an hour away, but fuck it)
10. Toi on sunset has yum thai food.

ruetheday
12-12-2007, 11:58 PM
"lynwood is kinda ghetto imo..."

Obviously some people don't get my humour; Watts is also ghetto. Thanks for rueining the joke

kitt kat
12-13-2007, 12:09 AM
^ i loled when i read the original post
i got it!

ruetheday
12-13-2007, 12:28 AM
^ i loled when i read the original post
i got it!

Well I'm glad someone got it.

ruetheday
12-13-2007, 12:31 AM
"3. At 3am, go grab cheap Mexican food from El Gran Burrito on the corner of Vermont and Santa Monica. Bring cash."

fuck that is so good.

kitt kat
12-13-2007, 12:57 AM
I KNOW ISN'T IT??!!!?!!!
Thank god someone else understands the cheap, delicious magic that is El Gran Burrito.

I went around 2am last week with my boyfriend and friend, and, I swear to god---never seen so many gay Mexican men in my life.

thelastgreatman
12-13-2007, 02:31 AM
By my approximation, 95% of you people know fuckall about this city. Seriously. Grade A fucking retards. I'll wax on this shit tomorrow.

Shaddup. Don't try to come up in here talking some LA's actually cool shit. It sucks and you're a whore on it's payroll. WHORE.

apostle2
12-13-2007, 08:51 AM
is el gran burrito a chain, or a single location? Because, yes, I am fitting it into the plan of what I'm doing right now.

Trying the Mexican is key.

arbouler
12-13-2007, 03:36 PM
"lynwood is kinda ghetto imo..."

Obviously some people don't get my humour; Watts is also ghetto. Thanks for rueining the joke

no shit i dont get your humo[u]r...

gaypalmsprings
12-13-2007, 03:39 PM
If you are on the down-low, go to Compton

prettydirtything
12-13-2007, 03:54 PM
If you are on the down-low, go to Compton

I saw a special on gay gang bangers (no pun intended) once... I think "on the dl" has been co-opted, and from gaypalm's perspective, probably doesn't mean your gangster in an Eazy-E sort of way.

LA is not the problem; trying to leave is... We took the compton exit by accident once... I have gone up for shows at the wiltern, greek, and hollywood bowl, and every damn time we get lost trying to leave town. Heading south should not be that difficult, and the driver was not a moron, and yet we always miss a damn exit trying to find San Diego bound roads at 2am... Forget mapquest or G.P.S, get a compass and head in any direction except towards LA.

i8 L.A....

TheWatcher
12-13-2007, 04:05 PM
I saw a special on gay gang bangers (no pun intended) once... I think "on the dl" has been co-opted, and from gaypalm's perspective, probably doesn't mean your gangster in an Eazy-E sort of way.

LA is not the problem; trying to leave is... We took the compton exit by accident once... I have gone up for shows at the wiltern, greek, and hollywood bowl, and every damn time we get lost trying to leave town. Heading south should not be that difficult, and the driver was not a moron, and yet we always miss a damn exit trying to find San Diego bound roads at 2am... Forget mapquest or G.P.S, get a compass and head in any direction except towards LA.

i8 L.A....

Actually, getting a compass and a good map of the freeways and major streets is a good idea, if you don't have a good sense of direction. One good thing about LA is that there are some large streets that just go on for miles and miles, and the freeways basically all cross at some point. So, if you select the right direction, eventually you come to a major street you recognize or a freeway.

psychic friend
12-13-2007, 04:47 PM
go elf yourself then.. GEEZ

http://www.elfyourself.com/

kitt kat
12-13-2007, 07:34 PM
is el gran burrito a chain, or a single location? Because, yes, I am fitting it into the plan of what I'm doing right now.

Trying the Mexican is key.

Nope. 100% LA Authentic non-chain Mexican food. When my friend form Canada came for a stay, I took him here for his first real Mexican food experience. He approved.

Basically, it's super cheap, quick, and yummy. You can get a plate with 3 chimichangas, rice, beans, cheese, and unlimited good salsa for $4.

And if you're direction challenged, you'll have a hard time getting around LA. Although, taking the bus for a solid year before I bought a car was a godsend. I learned what streets ran in what directions, what ones intersected each other, and where all the places I liked would fall on a map. The freeways are decently easy to navigate (sans traffic.)

Tylerdurden31
12-13-2007, 08:51 PM
while LA has good mexican and In-n-Out Burger...

NYC has good everything...every cuisine you could possibly think of...there's a good restaurant for it.

Chinese (for Americans), Authentic Chinese, Japanese, Steak, Pizza, Bagels, Middle Eastern, Ethiopian, Italian, Indian, Polish, Ukranian and on and on and on and on

we didn't start the fire

luckyface
12-13-2007, 09:08 PM
Watch out Apostle. Tyler is just trying to lure you to NY so he can fondle you.

thelastgreatman
12-13-2007, 09:54 PM
Hey Chris, where's your big talk now, huh, punk?

Yeah, that's right... keep walking.

algunz
12-13-2007, 10:01 PM
while LA has good mexican and In-n-Out Burger...

NYC has good everything...every cuisine you could possibly think of...there's a good restaurant for it.

Chinese (for Americans), Authentic Chinese, Japanese, Steak, Pizza, Bagels, Middle Eastern, Ethiopian, Italian, Indian, Polish, Ukranian and on and on and on and on

No good Mexican food though.

thelastgreatman
12-13-2007, 10:05 PM
Right, cause good mexican food comes close to making up for the utter shit of every single other kind of food.

algunz
12-13-2007, 10:16 PM
I don't think that even makes sense.

BTW, I don't like Mexican food. I'm an Italian food girl myself, and you can't get any better than NYC.

thelastgreatman
12-13-2007, 10:26 PM
Yeah, and you can't even get anything resembling decent Italian food--or a decent version of any other kind of food except Mexican--in Southern California period.

Now does it make sense?

fatbastard
12-13-2007, 10:36 PM
1. Go to the Getty.
2. Go be a traditional tourist on Hollywood Boulevard. It's a trip.
3. At 3am, go grab cheap Mexican food from El Gran Burrito on the corner of Vermont and Santa Monica. Bring cash.
4. I contend that the best shopping is in Little Tokyo.
5. PINKS.
6. Take a drive up the PCH.
7. Go to Venice.
8. Walk around Hollywood Forever.
9. DISNEYLAND (ok, it's an hour away, but fuck it)
10. Toi on sunset has yum thai food.

Chicken mole burrito!

apostle2
12-13-2007, 11:07 PM
haha the food thing is actually kind of big for me. But so is $$, at least for a few years. I feel like I am prety good with direction though, when I lived in London I managed to get around fine and some of their shit is pretty confusing. But I would much rather take it into my own hads and find my way in my car then be at a bus driver's mercy. I think.

At this point, I think it might just come down to the bare essentials of where can I get a real job interview, and that will probably end up in favor of the west. But I will make a judgement after I come out in a couple weeks. Who knows, at this point all I know is I never have another class

ever

miscorrections
12-13-2007, 11:25 PM
I feel like in LA you can find lots of really good food if you just know where to look, regardless of what other people might say. California is bountiful food-wise, and I'm a huge foodie.

keriann
12-13-2007, 11:26 PM
Yeah, and you can't even get anything resembling decent Italian food--or a decent version of any other kind of food except Mexican--in Southern California period.

Now does it make sense?

You are so retarded that it makes me want to hurt you.

miscorrections
12-13-2007, 11:29 PM
Keriann, why are we always talking about food?

keriann
12-13-2007, 11:31 PM
I was gonna start a thread for us to talk about food. I probably will once I have something good to say. Which reminds me I am going to Thousand Oaks tomorrow so maybe I will eat at Pickles.

miscorrections
12-13-2007, 11:32 PM
I'm so jealous.

schoolofruckus
12-14-2007, 06:09 PM
I agree, LA is the fakest of the fake. The pretention capital of the world.

Negative. That would be La Jolla.

full on idle
12-14-2007, 06:34 PM
For the record, I think how many fake people a person ends up around has a lot to do with how fake a person that person is her/himself. Personally, every single person I've met from LA has been radically tubular and so genuine.

miscorrections
12-14-2007, 10:54 PM

Except for us students.

tessalasset
12-15-2007, 01:48 AM
apostle check out tito's tacos in culver city too. mmmmm titos. such amazing guacamole unlike anything ive ever tasted.

Tylerdurden31
12-15-2007, 05:10 AM
No good Mexican food though.

so i missed one...i guarantee you there's at least 20 or 30 mexican places that stand up to LA quality....except it's probably made by puerto ricans...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-15-2007, 05:43 AM

I would have to disagree entirely, the world capital of fake is my hometown Las Vegas,NV....

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-15-2007, 05:44 AM
Except for us students.

UC SD is in La Jolla right? Fucking great school....

schoolofruckus
12-15-2007, 07:28 AM
Except for us students.

Except for you, student.

apostle2
12-15-2007, 09:11 AM
I'm coming for a couple weekdays, which obviously prevents me from seeing most shows, but is there anything good for Jan. 7-11? Are there usually shows on the weekdays, or is it just a packed weekend kind of thing?

thelastgreatman
12-15-2007, 09:20 AM
I would have to disagree entirely, the world capital of fake is my hometown Las Vegas,NV....

Vegas imports its fake from LA.

miscorrections
12-15-2007, 09:31 AM
apostle check out tito's tacos in culver city too. mmmmm titos. such amazing guacamole unlike anything ive ever tasted.

TITO'S MOTHERFUCKING TACOS

I haven't been there in years and each night that makes me cry a little bit.

vinylmartyr
12-15-2007, 09:50 AM
overrated

keriann
12-15-2007, 10:09 AM
I'm coming for a couple weekdays, which obviously prevents me from seeing most shows, but is there anything good for Jan. 7-11? Are there usually shows on the weekdays, or is it just a packed weekend kind of thing?

There's a kind-of-cool-sounding thing at the Walt Disney Concert Hall on Jan 8. Here's more info (http://www.laphil.com/tickets/performance_detail.cfm?id=3495)

Seems like indie shows happen on weekdays and weekends about equally.

December and January are always really slow months for shows though.

tessalasset
12-15-2007, 02:01 PM

yeah that's really cute. what you'll learn about la if you move here is we usually have about 2 or 3 quality shows to choose from every single day. i kinda think that's why our crowds get so jaded at shows. there's SO much to see that after a while, shit just takes more to impress us. i dunno. but yeah, like keriann said, january's a pretty slow month. just check out upcoming.org or pollstar to see what's coming up. i guarantee you there will be at least one good show a day for you to see.

ruetheday
12-15-2007, 02:05 PM
so i missed one...i guarantee you there's at least 20 or 30 mexican places that stand up to LA quality....except it's probably made by puerto ricans...

Bullshit, every time I have had Mexican food in New York it tastes like ass. The only places you can get good Mexican food in the United States are Southern California, Arizona and New Mexico. Everywhere else is disgusting. I once had a burrito in Vegas and I threw it on the floor because it was too gross. Oddly enough it was at the Mexican restaurant in New York New York. Coincidence? I think not.

thelastgreatman
12-15-2007, 02:07 PM
Apostle, I hope you're not expecting there to be any good heroin here cause there isn't. I'm sure that was high on your list of priorities.

keriann
12-15-2007, 02:19 PM
I once had a burrito in Vegas and I threw it on the floor because it was too gross.
I like picturing this.

apostle2
12-15-2007, 08:38 PM
I figured I would kick my junk habit before I came out. Now I definitely will.

Also, yeah, that's amazing (the frequency of good shows). At least it will take a while for me to get jaded because I won't be able to afford them all...haha. It's a big change from a place that has 2-3 good concerts a year.

bmack86
12-16-2007, 12:51 AM
There's a kind-of-cool-sounding thing at the Walt Disney Concert Hall on Jan 8. Here's more info (http://www.laphil.com/tickets/performance_detail.cfm?id=3495)=

I'm gonna go to that. Sounds great.

ruetheday
12-16-2007, 01:50 AM
I like picturing this.

I was promptly asked to leave.

BROKENDOLL
12-16-2007, 07:49 AM
While lost in Culver City once, a friend and I found Titos...Agreed!

arbouler
12-16-2007, 09:02 AM
speaking of mexican food, did you guys see the moon last night? it looked like a taco imo.

airguitarvet
12-16-2007, 12:26 PM
FROM MY EXPERIENCES- CERTAIN PEOPLE CANT HANDLE LA LIFE.
oh well.

apostle2
04-11-2008, 09:52 AM
I am a little nervous about bumping any thread that does not involve Prince in this current environment, but I'm going to do it anyway.

I had been waffling on where I wanted to be, and then a couple things fell into place, and I visited LA and really liked it, and I was leaning in that direction. It would actually be the best thing for my career. Then I said to myself, I would strangle puppies to see Radiohead again, but I can't get tickets to this tour without knowing where I'm going to be (and APW is pretty lame) So I decided that I would try for presale Bowl tickets today, and if I got them, that was it, Jesus was telling me to go to LA. And, well, I got them! So there we go.

So who wants to talk to me about the Valley and real estate? And also, who wants to escort me to the show, I will be by my lonesome.

Cammo
04-11-2008, 10:09 AM
Move to Florida

humanoid
04-11-2008, 11:05 AM
NYC is my favorite place I've ever been.....but many months out of the year, the weather is absolutely fucking unbearable.....you're either freezing your balls off....or sweating your balls off, which makes you want to commit murder......it still kicks ass though

Blinken
04-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Well good to hear you decided to come out here. I am not from LA City, Although San Pedro is LA City(We are their bitches for the port). I really like the South Bay, not alot to do but in 30 minutes you are in hollywood.

For those of you in the industry though i am looking for some advice. I really want to get into the business side of things for Film and TV. I have a business degree, but no experience in the industry. What would be the best way to break in?? I wouldn't mind being a PA for awhile, but i don't have the film degree, so i don't think that is going to happen.

Jagh20
04-11-2008, 01:49 PM
<-------- has lived in the SFV most of my life....Works for Mortgage Company(does not sell mortgages) what do you want to know?
Good places to live, spots to avoid, the good beaches...what?

BlackSwan
04-11-2008, 01:57 PM
So I've been a lurker on this board for roughly four years now (the entire time I've been at school.) I'm getting to the end of my tenure at college, and I have to decide what to do next. A major part of this decision is of course where I will be spending my future, and in the industries I am going into, there are really only two choices - NYC and LA.

I have always lived on the East Coast, but I know that there will be more jobs for me out in the territories...and I knew from all my years that this board was a place where people would certainly carry opinions about LA, good or bad. So could anybody tell me straight up how they feel about LA?

Anything, anything at all. What it's like to live there, what it's like to have a job there, how much is wildfire insurance, anything.

Also, I'm going to coachella for the first time this year, FINALLY. but that's beside the point.

I can be helpful here I am from New York and currently live in San Francisco.

If you move to Cali, move to San Francisco...

And don't let what industry you're getting into dictate everything about your life.

Blinken
04-11-2008, 02:18 PM
I can be helpful here I am from New York and currently live in San Francisco.

If you move to Cali, move to San Francisco...

And don't let what industry you're getting into dictate everything about your life.

No you can't. You are in San Fran, he wants info on LA. Of course let what you want to do dictate where you live. If he is passionate about film, than LA is the place for him. You will be much more happy doing something you love than not.

apostle2
04-11-2008, 04:22 PM
Well good to hear you decided to come out here. I am not from LA City, Although San Pedro is LA City(We are their bitches for the port). I really like the South Bay, not alot to do but in 30 minutes you are in hollywood.

For those of you in the industry though i am looking for some advice. I really want to get into the business side of things for Film and TV. I have a business degree, but no experience in the industry. What would be the best way to break in?? I wouldn't mind being a PA for awhile, but i don't have the film degree, so i don't think that is going to happen.

One of my best friends from college is from San Pedro. I visited her there, it is a beautiful place

apostle2
04-11-2008, 04:23 PM
<-------- has lived in the SFV most of my life....Works for Mortgage Company(does not sell mortgages) what do you want to know?
Good places to live, spots to avoid, the good beaches...what?

What I really want to know is nice areas vs. total shit areas, best traffic areas vs. clusterfuck areas, expensive vs inexpensive, and just anything in general I guess would be a ton of help.