PDA

View Full Version : Late night Coachella

DaFunkyPrecedent
12-11-2007, 12:11 PM
Has there ever been any talk of "Late Night Shows" at coachella? It seems to be the one thing missing.
Lolla, Vegoose, The Roo all have late night options... why no Coachella? is their a noise restriction?

To be honest, i wasn't ready for bed after Tiesto - i dont know about anyone else. Luckily all the Aussies gave us a late night show in the camping area singing their hearts out to Queen then ensuing the riot police to come and break it all up....

other wise we should do a silent disco - that way we can dance all night with no sound at all. Brilliant!

amyzzz
12-11-2007, 12:22 PM
um. I don't think there are any venues in Indio.

faxman75
12-11-2007, 01:03 PM
I thought she was talking about on the polo grounds. Hmm. Doesn't bonnaroo have shows go through the night? You would think they could have a few special late night peformances but i'm guessing it's noise ordinances.

Dizzan
12-11-2007, 01:20 PM
yes bonnaroo has shows into the night (Sasha and Digweed went until sunrise this year). I think coachella needs a designated "up late night area" in the camp grounds so that people who want to party can have music until at least 2 or 3 AM. other campers could be sleeping on the other side of the campgrounds and no riot would ensue.

Tijuana
12-11-2007, 01:31 PM
The city will never give afterhours permits. The site was used in 2000 for Insomniac's Nocturnal Wonderland as an all night event. I think that is the last time they'll ever do that. It was a CRAZY night. A bunch of tweekers and etards running all over the place. Cars with broken windows. Drunk and drugged up people driving all over town in the early morning hours. After that the city said no more. In fact Coachella for 2001 ended later (around 1:00 am), but I guess that was even too late for all of the old farts living in the area.

ficklecycle
12-11-2007, 01:37 PM
For a second there, I thought this said Latin Coachella.

faxman75
12-11-2007, 01:52 PM
The city will never give afterhours permits. The site was used in 2000 for Insomniac's Nocturnal Wonderland as an all night event. I think that is the last time they'll ever do that. It was a CRAZY night. A bunch of tweekers and etards running all over the place. Cars with broken windows. Drunk and drugged up people driving all over town in the early morning hours. After that the city said no more. In fact Coachella for 2001 ended later (around 1:00 am), but I guess that was even too late for all of the old farts living in the area.

The rave scene would do so much better if it had more people practicing P.L.U.R. but unfortunately as it has always been. Drugs are the life and the death of parties. For some Weed, Acid, Shrooms and Pot weren't enough so you got coke, meth and hardcore users acting like hardcore losers and vandalising property.

amyzzz
12-11-2007, 01:58 PM
Oh dang. So the unruly ravers killed our party.

MeowMixer
12-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Also, Ravers might bring AIDz needles! rim-shot.

Ardentbiscuit
12-12-2007, 12:42 PM
The city actually fines the performers and Goldenvoice if they go past midnight.

That's why they had to drag Blackstar off the stage that one year.

Bonnaroo is different, it's on a private farm that AC/Superfly actually partially owns now. They can do whatever they want pretty much.

That's why Sasha and Digweed this year went from midnight to about 8 am and was so loud you could hear it for miles and they were still serving beer all night.

gunfoo
12-12-2007, 01:17 PM
So does that mean Bjork, Dj Shadow & Tiesto all got fined this past year? I'm pretty positive I remember them all going way past midnight. Shadow may have even been past 1230. Methinks maybe the cerfew has changed a bit.

faxman75
12-12-2007, 02:10 PM
I've heard many artists go past midnight. I think 12:30-1am might be the cutoff. Daft Punk played past midnight as well I believe.

Ardentbiscuit
12-12-2007, 05:24 PM
I heard they all got fined and just paid it but who knows, maybe the city has laxed the rules and I heard wrong.

Botrocker
12-12-2007, 06:54 PM
There's always lots of after parties every year for those looking to party after the show.

ADrunkPoet
12-12-2007, 07:02 PM
Haha, I was at Nocturnal in 2000...
Oh the 16 year old me high as a kite dancing around on the
Hardcore stage.

Gyrus
12-12-2007, 09:01 PM
There's always lots of after parties every year for those looking to party after the show.

True, just have to know/meet the right people!
saying that though, is there some kind of law that restricts the closure of the campground bar during the night?

JustSteve
12-12-2007, 10:11 PM
California liquor laws, most likely

Ardentbiscuit
12-12-2007, 10:51 PM
Is this a joke?

http://www.ehow.com/how_2021458_love-coachella.html

Sushov23
12-12-2007, 11:29 PM
OK GUYS, let me clear this up for you guys. Over the weekend the noise ordinance is at midnight, That being said, LATE NIGHT coachella, WILL NEVER happen, LOCALS HATE COACHELLA being there in the first place, my friends parents from there BITCH all the time.
AND yeah sad to say NOT even 1 legit venue, Red Barn is ghetto up the ass. The clubs in Palm Springs are more top 40 hip hop oriented. So yeah, late night would not work in the area.

JustSteve
12-12-2007, 11:48 PM
it really does suck having millions of dollars pumped into the local economy over a few days helping to fund improvements that would otherwise be up to the residents to cover.

Sushov23
12-13-2007, 12:10 AM
The problem is this, most of the Coachella Valley, with the exception of maybe the City of Coachella, does NOT need the money that Coachella Fest brings in. The cities in that area have A LOT of investors, and some of the most rich people in the US own some kind of property there, or live there.

Ardentbiscuit
12-13-2007, 06:11 AM
Just because it does wonders for the economy doesn't mean the people are smart enough to know that.

One time when I went to the Hyundai Pavilion in Devore a group of local residents got together and stood on that road that goes in and out of Devore basically saying, "Get the fuck out of Devore assholes, you are ruining our city".

Realistically, if that place wasn't there no money would ever go into that economy except for the occasional stop of people rushing to and from Vegas and other cities out there.

The residents of Indio just don't realize how lucky there. There are other festivals at that Polo field but none as popular.

I hope that tumor doesn't ever come true of the Polo field being sold to developers and turned into condos. The Real Estate market is not great right now and it would be a monumental mistake.

Too bad Goldenvoice/AEG doesn't purchase part of the field like AC/Superfly did with the farm in Tenn.

The reason I could see they wouldn't do it is either because the people won't sell it or they are afraid eventually Coachella will out grow that location. Who knows?

If Coachella ever did move I suppose they could move further into the under developed parts of Coachella valley.

thelastgreatman
12-13-2007, 06:19 AM
The people want to retain control of their town. What's wrong about that? They're rich desert folk--they didn't move there to listen to racket. I understand why the old whores don't like it, although it sucks.

Boourns
12-13-2007, 10:04 AM
So does that mean Bjork, Dj Shadow & Tiesto all got fined this past year? I'm pretty positive I remember them all going way past midnight. Shadow may have even been past 1230. Methinks maybe the cerfew has changed a bit.

Oh there's definitely fines. That's true for most everywhere. I remember in Virginia Beach it was $10,000 if you went even a minute past 11pm. A lot of bands just got unplugged after midnight at Coachella like the Libertines and Black Star. Maybe it depends on how big the crowd is? Only an idiot would unplug Daft Punk or Tool, for the polo fields would have been torched.

it really does suck having millions of dollars pumped into the local economy over a few days helping to fund improvements that would otherwise be up to the residents to cover.

Maybe they just don't appreciate how all their meth dealers are working the festival and are otherwise unavailable that weekend.

Gyrus
12-13-2007, 04:27 PM
Is this a joke?

http://www.ehow.com/how_2021458_love-coachella.html

That's golden, fuck I'd love to hit up a mansion party hahahahah

Sushov23
12-13-2007, 06:34 PM
I love that Coachella is in my home town, but I will say the Coachella Valley would be MORE THAN fine without Coachella's boost. That said I hope Coachella stays in the same place for a while.

joppy-slow
12-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Any place with the name Empire Polo Fields can easily handle the death of a 3day music festival. Coachella is a blip on their radar screen compared to the revenue they get in property taxes..
It would be interesting to get a take from all the locals there? I'm sure some love it and some loathe it... If you live in Indio ask grandma what she thinks of the festival.