PDA

View Full Version : Studying/listening project

bmack86
12-10-2007, 04:12 PM
I'm studying for a final tomorrow, and, A-La MountMcCabe, I'm instilling a listening project.

I started with the 1966-1968 Deram singles, and I'm going to listen chronologically to Bowie. All of his stuff. We'll see how far we get.

Deram Anthology was pretty forgettable. Most of the songs sounded like Mod knockoffs or quirky throwaways. I couldn't hum a single melody, and I just heard them. Space Oddity has started off much better, and i know that, as a whole, it's more entertaining.

Cpt. Funkaho
12-10-2007, 04:15 PM
This "listen to someone all day" thing seems to be taking off... I'm still waiting for someone to take it back to its roots and listen to Tom Waits all day long. Rue, I'm looking in your direction. You can amend for the errors of the past...

prettydirtything
12-10-2007, 04:18 PM
I'm studying for a final tomorrow, and, A-La MountMcCabe, I'm instilling a listening project.

I started with the 1966-1968 Deram singles, and I'm going to listen chronologically to Bowie. All of his stuff. We'll see how far we get.

Deram Anthology was pretty forgettable. Most of the songs sounded like Mod knockoffs or quirky throwaways. I couldn't hum a single melody, and I just heard them. Space Oddity has started off much better, and i know that, as a whole, it's more entertaining.
I dont know what your studying for (PS 510 at a state school for me) but it is being impeded by the following:

posting on this board
thinking about posting on this board
listening to music
analyzing the music you are listening to in the context of what kind of conversation possibilities it holds for your next posting on this board

think ambient noise: if you find yourself humming along you are automaically and uneccisarily taxing the limited and precious resource refered to as "focus"

prettydirtything
12-10-2007, 04:26 PM
i think the only band I have enough of to listen the whole day through is oasis, and doing so would surely at first tax my affection for that band, and then, right about the time the bsides from the s.o.t.s.o.g era began to play, destroy every remaining shred of positive feelings I have for said band

ie:
just getting older
the quiet ones
sitten here in silence on my own
eyeball tickler
youve got the heart of a star
carry us all
one way road

are all some serious stinkers...

bballarl
12-10-2007, 04:27 PM
I am going to stop posting on the board till after I'm done with my final this evening. Seriously. Starting...now.

bmack86
12-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Bullshit.

And, I always study with music. With no noise, my mind sometimes wanders. I need either music or the scratching of pencils to focus myself. And, the board is acting as my break area between outlines. My studying is going well so far. If I focus too hard on this, then I'm going to just get stressed out. As it stands, I'm taking in what I need.

And, Bowie is still a folky at heart. As of 1969.

wmgaretjax
12-10-2007, 04:43 PM
This "listen to someone all day" thing seems to be taking off... I'm still waiting for someone to take it back to its roots and listen to Tom Waits all day long. Rue, I'm looking in your direction. You can amend for the errors of the past...

when I was in Perguia in Italy, I got black out drunk one night. vomited in the toilet, took off my shoes, and fell onto my friends mattress.

I woke up in the morning and she had taken my ipod and plugged it into her speakers. She went to Tom Waits -> then All and just pressed play.

It was still going and I was at the beginning of Rain Dogs 8 hours later. What a way to wake up.

bballarl
12-10-2007, 05:42 PM
The Buddha Machine is my favorite musical study tool. That or jazz. I write or study to "In A Silent Way" quite a bit.

bmack86
12-10-2007, 06:14 PM
I'm halfway thru Hunky Dory.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed The Man Who Sold the World. That one never really stuck with me, but it's a cool album. Hunky Dory is fantastic, and where he came into his own.

miscorrections
12-10-2007, 06:31 PM
I wish so hard that I could listen to music and study at the same time but I have focus issues.

bmack86
12-10-2007, 08:03 PM
I'm half way thru Pin Ups. After the past few albums, this one is not so good. It's fun, but the performances are almost all throwaways. He sounds like he's fuckin' around, which is alright, but sometimes it's flailing, which is bad.