PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a cell phone service provider

thinnerair
12-08-2007, 10:28 AM
Im looking to end my long, painful relationship with Nextel and move onto a better company. Something that is affordable, won't drop my calls and allow me a shit ton of text messages, emails, etc with a smartphone.

Im thinking of going AT&T but have also considered Verizon.

Suggestions? Comments? Do it.

Courtney
12-08-2007, 11:12 AM
I have Verizon currently. I have also had Sprint and T-mobile. I'm happy with it, but I would think that it really depends where you'll be using your phone the most, in terms of getting good reception without dropped calls and such. That seems to be more of a locally-determined thing.

bug on your lip
12-08-2007, 11:14 AM
which one has the exclusive Metallica ringtones ?

thinnerair
12-08-2007, 11:18 AM
i ll be moving to the Bay Area in January then returning to NYC in May. I know that AT&T and Verizon are both great here in NYC, but I dont know how they do in California.

Derekx
12-08-2007, 11:21 AM
I have AT&T and I hate it. More than half my calls are dropped.

keriann
12-08-2007, 11:22 AM
Verizon worked well for me in the Bay. I've generally heard people be more pleased with Verizon's service in CA than AT&T's.

arie117
12-08-2007, 12:20 PM
i have at&t and they are horrible with what they charge. their plans suck!!!
The only good thing is there service. my parents live up in the mountains and it seems that at&t is the only company that gets service in that area. thats why im stuck with em or i would change

suprefan
12-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Do not get Sprint. I dont have Sprint, just saying.

miscorrections
12-08-2007, 12:55 PM
I've had AT&T and Verizon; both seem to be about equal.

wmgaretjax
12-08-2007, 12:58 PM
i have had 0 problems with cingular/att. they replace my phones when they go bad pretty easily. they don't charge me for bullshit. and all my calls seem to go through.

granted I'm not a huge cell phone user, but they have worked well for me.

bballarl
12-08-2007, 01:13 PM
Sprint drops my calls at school and where I live down here like nobody's business. It works okay at home and at the Polo Fields.

TomAz
12-08-2007, 01:33 PM
I used to have Sprint and they sucked. I have T-mobile now and they work well enough.

mountmccabe
12-08-2007, 01:39 PM
I have only had Sprint and I don't have any problem with dropped calls. Which is to say that sometimes calls get dropped and I don't have any problem with that. It gives you a chance to stop and breathe and say what the fuck?

Wait that's not right. What I really mean is I use Sprint and have for several years and I don't have any significant number of dropped calls. And the service is fine. So if you're going to be in Phoenix, yay.

thinnerair
12-08-2007, 02:19 PM
I probably wont go with Sprint because they've merged with Nextel and assume they're just as crappy as Nextel has been.

I like the phones that AT&T is offering with their plans, but they do seem to be a bit costly.

T-Mobile seems to get a bad rep here in New York and I don't want to get a Sidekick, which seems to be the only reason most people that I know have T-Mobile.

I used to have Verizon, but for other services. I was turned off immediately by their atrocious customer service when trying to resolve internet connection issues. I went about 20 days without internet and called twice per day. They just kept bouncing my issue to someone else and it wasn't getting resolved until I began canceling my account. That is when things got better.

I don't think I know a single person with Altell or any other service.

wmgaretjax
12-08-2007, 02:20 PM
the poll says
2 40%
2 40%
1 20%
1 20%

dontfeedthebird
12-08-2007, 02:42 PM
I have Sprint. Rarely a dropped call, even in Cali. And my brother pays the bill.

prettydirtything
12-08-2007, 03:07 PM
sprint has the worst phone selection in america by far....

Tmobile and ATT have the best handset exclusives...

I have tmobile, and they have been great as far as customer service. They gave me a WM6 Dash as a free replacement for a malfunctioning and discontinued SDA. Score!

When I get free of the contract, I will switch to att for the IPhone unless the jailbreaks get a lot easier.

as long as your in a big city, coverage seems the same between all the major providers. if your rural, be very careful and coverage will decide your carrier of choice.

roberto73
12-08-2007, 03:19 PM
I've had zero problems with Cingular/AT&T in the five or six years I've owned a cell phone. And four of those years I lived out in the desert where you'd think service would be spotty.

JustSteve
12-08-2007, 03:32 PM
just an fyi, t-mobile and at&t use the same cell towers, so most likely if t-mobile has crappy service in a particular area so will at&t. also, you can go to the cell company webpages and check the coverage maps. they usually seem to be pretty accurate. i have t-mobile and have spotty reception where i live, but i can go about 1/4 up or down the road and have full bars, and that is exactly what the map shows.

crazzz2007
12-08-2007, 04:28 PM
T-mobile usually always has the lowest prices.

I don't know about NY, but in L.A. I have great coverage.

The customer service is also great, and they usually come out ahead in all the customer service studies.

betao
12-08-2007, 05:15 PM
dont get Sprint - i have them, and their service sucks. I'll be on roaming/no service in the most common places. its quite pathetic.

PassiveTheory
12-08-2007, 05:18 PM
Sprint is alright, the only places I get no service is like underground and all... But just don't get AT&T, it's annoying.

mvanwinkle
12-08-2007, 05:19 PM
i have had 0 problems with cingular/att. they replace my phones when they go bad pretty easily. they don't charge me for bullshit. and all my calls seem to go through.

granted I'm not a huge cell phone user, but they have worked well for me.

pretty much summed excactly what I was going to say.

samiksha
12-08-2007, 06:01 PM
i have verizon, and i haven't had any problems. the only bad thing i can say is that their phone selection sucks right now. a friend of mine works for at&t and they give him a lot of neat phones and toys and he gets service everywhere i do, so at&t is looking more and more appealing.

menikmati
12-08-2007, 06:49 PM
I don't use cell phones enough to participate in here.

orbit
12-08-2007, 09:24 PM
T-mobile usually always has the lowest prices.

I don't know about NY, but in L.A. I have great coverage.

The customer service is also great, and they usually come out ahead in all the customer service studies.

Yeah, I've had T-Mobile for the past 2 years and it has been a good service so far.

bmack86
12-08-2007, 10:16 PM
I've heard Verizon is going to start allowing all phones to be used as of 2008. If so, they'll be the way to go. I've got consistently great service with them. Never run into a problem.

amyzzz
12-11-2007, 10:53 AM
I use Qwest for obvious discount reasons. I used to like the quality of All-tel a lot, but they were very expensive.

thinnerair
12-11-2007, 10:58 AM
I have heard excellent things about Sprint's internet speeds....almost at broadband speed.

orbit
12-17-2007, 11:38 PM
People wanting to get out of Sprint might want to read this (http://consumerist.com/consumer/cell-phones/sprint-mails-customers-a-get-out-of-sprint-free-card-332782.php)

Sprint Mails Customers A "Get Out Of Sprint Free" Card

Sprint has mailed postcards to its customers saying that, beginning January 1st, it will stop charging so-called "recovery" fees and create new fees to replace (or possibly exceed) them. Sprint customers are now asking themselves whether or not this is a change to the Terms & Conditions—if so, then they should be able to cancel their contracts without paying an ETF, or early termination fee.

One Sprintusers.com forum member posted that a Sprint CSR read the following to him:

Sprints current policy as read by account services: "On Jan. 1st 2008 Sprint customers who have been affected by the fees, [consumer and IL customers], will have their ETF waived if they wish to terminate their contract. There will be no post-dating of cancellation where the ETF will be waived as only customers affected by the new surcharges will be eligible."

There's some debate on the loooong forum discussion, but a reader wrote us to say he just used the pricing change to get out of his Sprint contract ETF-free, "staying on as a customer OOC, and receiving retentions deals and perks the same day."

kitt kat
12-18-2007, 12:20 AM
I have heard excellent things about Sprint's internet speeds....almost at broadband speed.

this is true.

i have a sprint phone and a tmobile sidekick. the tmobile one gets the shittiest reception ever in los angeles. i've never had any problem with my spring reception across california and the country, for that matter.