PDA

View Full Version : The Orb Disaster Of 2001

Snakeface
12-07-2007, 11:24 AM
Who saw the Orb freak out in 2001? Apparently there were technical difficulties with their equipment syncing up. Alex was taunting the other guy with samples like "please hang up and try your call again". I remember Alex left the stage at least twice. He also threw records at the crowd, but not in a joyous way. Finally after they came back and got the set going, they turned on all the lights and the Orb had to end their set. I know i can't be the only one on this message board that saw it. And my recollection is a bit fuzzy. Hey GV, if you are listening, we still want The Orb.

VOTE PLUMP DJ's '08!!!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-07-2007, 12:05 PM
damn, is this how it went down?

Snakeface
12-07-2007, 12:45 PM
Who did you see close 2001? If I remember correctly The Orb was in the Mojave or Gobi tent.

VOTE PLUMP DJ's '08!!!

keep2thestreets
12-07-2007, 02:55 PM
the orb was in the mojave to close it out. i believe chemical bros were djing in the Sahara. i was way outside the tent looking in at the Orb set it was packed. and yeah it sound a little off

captncrzy
12-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Geez, that's very Guns N Roses circa 1988 of them.

TickleMeElmo
12-07-2007, 07:06 PM
He also threw records at the crowd, but not in a joyous way.

Like aggressively? That just gave me a mental image of a DJ throwing records at people, sticking them in the face Shaun of the Dead style. Sick.

shakermaker113
12-07-2007, 11:23 PM
Who did you see close 2001? If I remember correctly The Orb was in the Mojave or Gobi tent.

VOTE PLUMP DJ's '08!!!

I thought the Gobi wasn't introduced until 2003?

algunz
12-07-2007, 11:28 PM
No, I think they've always had the three tents. PF?

Boourns
12-08-2007, 12:17 AM
The Gobi tent wasn't listed in the 2002 schedule...did it exist that year?

algunz
12-08-2007, 12:19 AM
I thought so, but now you all are making me doubt my memory.

fatbastard
12-08-2007, 09:27 AM
The Orb?

blackchango
12-08-2007, 10:52 AM
my recolection of the performance is quite fuzzy as well. I remember the records being thrown out along with a plush sheep toy from the orblive 93 album.This guy and I wrestled for the motherfucker like our lives depended on it. In the end the other guys won and I remember someone coming by from the orb website at the time to takes pictures of us holding up the coveted prize.I also remember them playing UB40'S "FALLING IN LOVE WITH YOU" before their set. They were ready to give us one of their best performances ever! They were even wearing what looked to me like Mauri face tattoos to battle the crowd.unfortunately yes there were some techincal difficulties and the curfew thing but it all ended with a very positive ending as Alex broke out a bottle of Courvoisier took a swig and then handed it to the crowd! These guys to me are electronic music legends and deserve another shot at Coachella this year. Oh and by the way the new album "THE DREAM" is out in Febuary! ORB FOR 2008 !!!!

ivankay
12-08-2007, 12:38 PM
i remember the abrupt ending because of the curfew. i had not had enough and wandered the grounds with my companion at the time. We came across an impromptu drum circle that was going on in the center of the polo fields and security was doing a minimal job at trying to get people to stop and leave ("c'mon guys. stop."). That lasted for what seemed like anothe 15 to 20 before it faded and the people caually scattered with smiles on the things wrapped on their skulls known as faces. Anyone remember that?

Snakeface
12-08-2007, 12:51 PM
The Dream is an excellent return to form for these guys, and a great reason to invite them back to Coachella. It is definitely the best Orb album in a long time, Maybe since Orblivion. I'm glad to hear that someone else remembers the drama and malfunctions.

VOTE PLUMP DJ's '08!!!

Snakeface
12-08-2007, 12:52 PM
The Orb?

You must be kidding. Shame on you.

VOTE PLUMP DJ's '08!!!

Bud Luster
12-08-2007, 02:50 PM
Actually 2001 had 4 tents! Had maind stage, outdoor theatre, and the 3 tents they usually have (sahara, mojave, gobi) and another tent that was just west of the big beer garden near the main stage (bg with the tables, concrete, and white shade/tent style things) Z-trip performed in there, and I witnessed my favorite Coachella set ever in there: Kruder & Dorfmeister! They played a long set, at least an hour and a half. Really unique visuals in there, a truly blissed out groovy experience. Too bad Tosca had sound problems in 06 and was WAAAAY overshadowed by DP.

Here's a link to a photo of the K&D set/up. This photog has photos from almost all of the Coachella fests. Check it out. good shit.

*I'm not sure about the names of the tents in 01, but there were 4.

http://www.saamthing.com/photos/displayimage.php?album=75&pos=12

also, the Orb debacle has ensured they will never return...

Snakeface
12-08-2007, 03:06 PM

I agree, but I try to convince myself otherwise.

VOTE PLUMP DJ's '08!!!

menikmati
12-08-2007, 05:37 PM
Actually 2001 had 4 tents! Had maind stage, outdoor theatre, and the 3 tents they usually have (sahara, mojave, gobi) and another tent that was just west of the big beer garden near the main stage (bg with the tables, concrete, and white shade/tent style things) Z-trip performed in there, and I witnessed my favorite Coachella set ever in there: Kruder & Dorfmeister! They played a long set, at least an hour and a half. Really unique visuals in there, a truly blissed out groovy experience. Too bad Tosca had sound problems in 06 and was WAAAAY overshadowed by DP.

Here's a link to a photo of the K&D set/up. This photog has photos from almost all of the Coachella fests. Check it out. good shit.

*I'm not sure about the names of the tents in 01, but there were 4.

http://www.saamthing.com/photos/displayimage.php?album=75&pos=12

How sure are you that 2001 had 4 tents? I have a photo of a sheet that lists all the set times (probably meant for stage directors) here:

http://ebombfilms.com/coachella%5Frecordings/images/2001/coachella01_settimes.jpg

it list's 3 tents...

Botrocker
12-08-2007, 05:53 PM
I believe the 4th tent was something kinda like the do lab. Not listed, but still there

ivankay
12-08-2007, 11:42 PM
If the Orb perform at Coachella it will be a shining example to the peoples of the world and lead to that elusive state of peace. Orb in the Sahara.

Bud Luster
12-09-2007, 05:58 PM
How sure are you that 2001 had 4 tents? I have a photo of a sheet that lists all the set times (probably meant for stage directors) here:

http://ebombfilms.com/coachella%5Frecordings/images/2001/coachella01_settimes.jpg

it list's 3 tents...

Maybe I'm not as sure I thought I was. Perhaps the location of the tent I described has thrown me off.

*edit: maybe pf can confirm

Cpt. Funkaho
12-09-2007, 06:12 PM

it list's 3 tents...

Jesus H. Christ, Kruder & Dorfmeister vs. Chemical Bros. (in their PRIME) vs. The Orb? Talk about your all-time disaster conflicts. I almost came in 2001 (I was in New Mexico at the time), and that one would have destroyed me.

betao
12-09-2007, 07:10 PM
well keep in mind, it was only a DJ set by the Chems - not a live show. That helps it out a bit.

but yes, hard decision indeed.

algunz
12-09-2007, 07:26 PM
i remember the abrupt ending because of the curfew. i had not had enough and wandered the grounds with my companion at the time. We came across an impromptu drum circle that was going on in the center of the polo fields and security was doing a minimal job at trying to get people to stop and leave ("c'mon guys. stop."). That lasted for what seemed like anothe 15 to 20 before it faded and the people caually scattered with smiles on the things wrapped on their skulls known as faces. Anyone remember that?

I totally remember the drum circle. We were probably only a matter of inches from each other Ivan. Crazy!!

Snakeface
12-10-2007, 01:27 AM
It was definitely an easier decision with the Chemical Brothers playing a DJ set, and the fact that The Orb is a pretty rare set in the States. I had no idea K&D (who are great also) were playing at the same time, but my decision would have been the same.

VOTE PLUMP DJ's '08!!!

amyzzz
12-10-2007, 12:04 PM
Seeing The Orb live is rare? I saw them live twice in AZ, and we get shit here. This was in the 90's.

Snakeface
12-10-2007, 12:08 PM
Exactly. After the 90's they went M.I.A. I hope you caught the Orblivion tour. I missed it, but if I remember correctly they opened for The Prodigy here.

VOTE PLUMP DJ's '08!!!

ivankay
12-10-2007, 03:23 PM
I totally remember the drum circle. We were probably only a matter of inches from each other Ivan. Crazy!!

That's pretty cool. i wonder how many close almost encouters there have been with the former strangers who have become familiar through this, the greatest message board on the tubes that make the internets.

i'll throw a couple of Orb shows out there and see who was there:

The American Legion Hall show (94ish)

The Disney Hall show

and for good measure, Organic.

Snakeface
01-14-2008, 02:57 AM
The Orb is touring a bit, and only has dates listed until April 19th on their site.
It also mentions a February release for "The Dream" LP in the U.K., and hopefully the U.S. Come back Alex!

19 Jan 2008 Aqua - The Orb - Alex DJ
25 Jan 2008 Blue Mountain - The Orb - Alex DJ
1 Feb 2008 Hendre Hall - The Orb - Alex DJ
8 Feb 2008 Tokyo Unit - ORB DJ Sessions
9 Feb 2008 Club Karma - ORB DJ Sessions
10 Feb 2008 Club Mago - ORB DJ Sessions
15 Feb 2008 Krysha Mira - The Orb - Alex DJ
21 Feb 2008 Heaven - The Orb - Alex DJ
22 Feb 2008 Rome - The Orb - Alex DJ
23 Feb 2008 Verona - The Orb - Alex DJ
1 Mar 2008 Liverpool Carling Academy - The Orb - Alex DJ
14 Mar 2008 King Tuts - The Orb - Alex DJ
28 Mar 2008 Holland - The Orb - LIVE BAND SHOW tbc
18 Apr 2008 Rgan tbc - The Orb - Alex DJ
19 Apr 2008 Sajllin tbc - The Orb - Alex DJ

http://www.theorb.com
http://www.myspace.com/orbisms

VOTE PLUMP DJ's & 4KUBA '08!!!

Botrocker
01-14-2008, 11:28 AM
hmmmm. Very interesting.

brando4n82
01-14-2008, 12:01 PM
hmmmm. Very interesting.

agreed. Ive heard of this band many times, but never heard them. I Wiki'd them and I am very curious.

**Paging All ORB Fans**

what is some of their more accessible work that you'd reccommend?

and what is some of there non-accessible work you'd reccommend?

THANKS!

Bud Luster
01-14-2008, 02:27 PM
Orbus Terrarum (sic?) is a bit non-accesible, but so worth the payoff if you invest the time and get into it. Choose your mellow substance of choice and enjoy.

Snakeface
01-14-2008, 07:17 PM
what is some of their more accessible work that you'd reccommend?

I'd recommend "Orblivion", simply because it probably has the most accessible song structure. For a great chill-out mix try "Auntie Aubrey's Excursions Beyond the Call of Duty - Volume 1". "The Dream" is great, but only available as an import at the moment. If you like them, also be sure to check out the Transit Kings album, "Living In A Giant Candle Winking At God".

algunz
01-14-2008, 07:22 PM
I saw the Orb in about 93 in NYC, Prodigy opened. Awesome!

mimi3000
01-16-2008, 08:11 AM
My fave is "Adventures Beyond The Ultra World" which i think is the first one and my fave tune was "A Huge Ever Growing Pulsating Brain That Rules From the Centre of the Ultraworld" It was the longest and I think the last track on the album.It samples Minnie Ripertons " Loving You" And I love "Little Fluffy Clouds" That samples Ricki Lee Jones in a interview.

betao
01-16-2008, 09:37 AM
I saw the Orb in about 93 in NYC, Prodigy opened. Awesome!

... that is so not fair.

brando4n82
01-16-2008, 10:53 AM
OMG, I just downloaded The Dream, and my ears are orgasming.

why am i just hearing these guys now?

they would make an absolute perfect addition to coachella.....bummer about what happened.

brando4n82
01-16-2008, 12:18 PM
JiFjscT7ihE

blackchango
01-16-2008, 04:51 PM
A thing of beauty! Probably my favorite group after justice (just kidding)
Saw these guys several times.The video above brings back great memories!
american legion hall 95
organic 96
mayan theatre 97
lx djing at some club in hollywood 98
lx djing nocturnal wonderland 2000
coachella 2001
disney hall 2006

jazzz
01-27-2008, 11:10 PM
Bring back THE ORB for 2008!!!!!

faxman75
01-27-2008, 11:13 PM
And I love "Little Fluffy Clouds" That samples Ricki Lee Jones in a interview.

Word, it's a double album and I always wondered who that chick was or what that was from.

Little Fluffy Clouds is great.

GaragePoet
01-29-2008, 05:50 PM
i was there, but couldn't tell ya much about it... good times.

Weatherman
01-31-2008, 11:45 PM
Bad Co. were in a tent? W...weird....

jtovar21
02-01-2008, 06:35 AM
I ve seen them 3 times with Coachella '01 included. The best may have been though at Area One Festival. Even though they cleared out half the dance tent, they still put on an amazing show with the trippy samples and visuals, including throwing a up a acidic version of Wizard of Oz.

The last time I saw then was in LA at the Walt Disney Music Concert Hall. The expierience wasn't the same with out the visuals and it pretty much amounted to only a dj set, I believe it may have even been their LE PETITE ORB setup, even though it was billed as THE ORB, which was a bummer. That show was surreal though, Thomas Fehlmann and DR. Alex pretty much had a falling out on stage. Dr. A in the middle of the set, thew down his headphones and yelled something at Thomas Fehlmann then abruptly left the stage, Fehlmann then continued to dj for about 5 min, then he also left the stage, all this while the music continued to play. Eventually Dr. A came back out and took over, much of the crowd was pretty confused at this point. That was pretty much how the show ended.
I remember watching it in disbelief, people had no clue I think because most of them we're whacked out of their minds anyways. A girl who was sitting next to me watched also watched this all go down,but was quietly spacing out to the music before she realized no one was on the stage, she was like "what happend?"
Very Surreal night indeed.

jtovar21
02-01-2008, 06:36 AM
Bad Co. were in a tent? W...weird....

Oh this was the Drum and Bass Djs, Bad Company. Not the shitty rock band.

Blintz
02-01-2008, 08:26 AM
Oh my god! I'm so surprised to see that Coachella people know The Orb... I started listening to these guys a few years ago (basically going chronologically through the albums, starting with "Ultraworld"- I'd recommend first-times do the same) and would kill to see them live.
They're on tour right now- Coachella should totally pick them up, show some of these crappy electro acts who's boss!

Snakeface
02-01-2008, 09:08 AM
Did anyone ever pickup the t-shirt/vinyl combos from badorb.com? It has been shut down for a while, but was great while it lasted. I have a couple of the vinyl/shirt combos, but my shirts are fading. The vinyls were numbered and only produced in small quanities. One has a goat-headed satellite.

Snakeface
02-05-2008, 01:57 AM
The Orb - Vuja De. The new video from The Dream LP. Check it out here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqlrnPHCN_M

Cpt. Funkaho
02-05-2008, 02:01 AM
The Orb - Vuja De. The new video from The Dream LP. Check it out here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqlrnPHCN_M

I watched that earlier today and was pleased. It actually seems pretty accessible for them, which in my opinion is a good thing.

C DUB YA
02-05-2008, 06:31 AM
this is my favorite Orb song (off of Oblivion)

xTy4-OjscAQ

blackchango
02-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Would they just book them allready!! This is excellant ! I'm always trying to hype these guys up to be added on various threads every year since their last appearence and this is the first year that I have actually seen legit interest from fans and no hating on them either! Nothing but positive feedback!Even if they dont get added it's still great too know that they are still adored by many! cheers! :)

Blintz
02-05-2008, 08:36 PM
I really think Coachella, being in the desert, should get into the psytrance/rave and trippy vibe a bit more, and hold off on the snotty electro-pop acts. Sasha & Digweed is a good start... Massive Attack, Bjork, Portishead, DJ Shadow are all good for that.
That said, The Orb would rule- there's no better way to wash down an eighth of chron than Ultraworld or U.F.Orb.

Rowrrr
02-05-2008, 09:32 PM
The Orb has always been the mothership of electronic music to me, since I was 16. Their sound took a severe shift in tonality once Hughes left and Feldman took over, Orblivion being their last truly great work IMO, but I think that the kinks are worked out now and the full potential of their sound has returned again.

I would be the happiest goddamn mofo on the polo fields if The Orb were booked this year. It's been about ten years since I've seen them.

MaxPowers
02-07-2008, 01:41 PM
A thing of beauty! Probably my favorite group after justice (just kidding)
Saw these guys several times.The video above brings back great memories!
american legion hall 95
organic 96
mayan theatre 97
lx djing at some club in hollywood 98
lx djing nocturnal wonderland 2000
coachella 2001
disney hall 2006

You brought it back with Organic '96, that was the last time I saw them in the mountains when they played with Orbital, Underworld, Meat Beat, Chem Bros' - that was Bliss.

artisticcreator
02-07-2008, 02:02 PM
Let's be honest! When Goldenvoice let the group before The Orb run over time, they screwed all of us ORB lovers out of a great show. Wish I had caught one of the vinyl's that Alex through into the crowd.

I've emailed them numerous times, trying to get them to bring them back, but I doubt if Dr. Alex Patterson would be interested. They insulted him so badly! Everyone should email all the contact people listed on this site below the Message Board button and push for them to bring them back, even if they have to get on their knees and beg!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PotVsKtl
02-07-2008, 03:47 PM
OK.

kreutz2112
02-07-2008, 03:58 PM
what does Alex have a degree in?

Cpt. Funkaho
02-07-2008, 04:05 PM
what does Alex have a degree in?

Physics, specifically the aerodynamics of discs in flight and their collisions with large crowds.

Bud Luster
02-07-2008, 08:03 PM
I really think Coachella, being in the desert, should get into the psytrance/rave and trippy vibe a bit more, and hold off on the snotty electro-pop acts. Sasha & Digweed is a good start... Massive Attack, Bjork, Portishead, DJ Shadow are all good for that.
That said, The Orb would rule- there's no better way to wash down an eighth of chron than Ultraworld or U.F.Orb.

none of the acts you listed here are Psytrance. Perhaps the shitty edm genre of all time.

artisticcreator
02-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Seeing The Orb live is rare? I saw them live twice in AZ, and we get shit here. This was in the 90's.

You are so lucky! My friends saw them here in Phoenix in the 90's and had to drive to a warehouse for the show. It was put on by the then owner of Swell records as a birthday present for his wife! I wish I had been there!

artisticcreator
02-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Did anyone ever pickup the t-shirt/vinyl combos from badorb.com? It has been shut down for a while, but was great while it lasted. I have a couple of the vinyl/shirt combos, but my shirts are fading. The vinyls were numbered and only produced in small quanities. One has a goat-headed satellite.

I got about 50% of everything they've done. The BADORB shirts are awesome. I wore the one with the CAT SATELITE shirt to work one day! It just happened to be the day that an EPA inspector came into our company. She was in a bad mood for me being 5 minutes late, but saw the shirt, smiled since she is a cat lover and the inspection went very smoothly after that! Even The Orb accessories help make a better world. The BADORB coffee mugs have the same artwork and are very cool also! To me The Orb are my heros!

brando4n82
02-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Have they alreayd toured the US in support of "The Dream"?

instinct
02-13-2008, 07:03 PM
The Orb is touring a bit, and only has dates listed until April 19th on their site.
It also mentions a February release for "The Dream" LP in the U.K., and hopefully the U.S. Come back Alex!

19 Jan 2008 Aqua - The Orb - Alex DJ
25 Jan 2008 Blue Mountain - The Orb - Alex DJ
1 Feb 2008 Hendre Hall - The Orb - Alex DJ
8 Feb 2008 Tokyo Unit - ORB DJ Sessions
9 Feb 2008 Club Karma - ORB DJ Sessions
10 Feb 2008 Club Mago - ORB DJ Sessions
15 Feb 2008 Krysha Mira - The Orb - Alex DJ
21 Feb 2008 Heaven - The Orb - Alex DJ
22 Feb 2008 Rome - The Orb - Alex DJ
23 Feb 2008 Verona - The Orb - Alex DJ
1 Mar 2008 Liverpool Carling Academy - The Orb - Alex DJ
14 Mar 2008 King Tuts - The Orb - Alex DJ
28 Mar 2008 Holland - The Orb - LIVE BAND SHOW tbc
18 Apr 2008 Rgan tbc - The Orb - Alex DJ
19 Apr 2008 Sajllin tbc - The Orb - Alex DJ

http://www.theorb.com
http://www.myspace.com/orbisms

I guess I am going to Holland March 28th.

brando4n82
02-14-2008, 12:03 PM
no fair =(

humanoid
02-17-2008, 11:24 PM
The Orb disaster was heartbreaking....but then I swallowed a few more pills and ran over to the Chem Brothers...then went to a crazy hotel E party with a bunch of girls, and my heartbreak was minimized

digitalface
02-18-2008, 08:59 AM
The 2006 Disney Hall show offered mixed results. On one hand, it was an unusually heady atmosphere, given the intellectual context of the event and the venue, and on the other, the boys pulled an all-nighter and pounded the bass-weak system into the floor. It was cool and unfortunate at the same time, 'cause the system wasn't set up for the sort of bass they wanted to bring, but they didn't seem to give a shit and just pushed it until the all the bass was warped and crunchy. By morning, the music sounded like shit, but they were off the stage and partying with the crowd down front anyway. A good night, but fuckin' strange.

ivankay
02-18-2008, 09:43 AM
Diney Hall was fun. This is a clip when the song from Midnight Cowboy crept in. (http://renegademartian.buzznet.com/user/video/5986/orb-disney-hall/?p=4)

Never posted pictues from that night. Think i'll work on a few now. brb.

Now i remember why i didn't post pictures. Shitty pictures. Any way, here's a few:

http://buzznet-52.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users16/renegademartian/default/03-18-2006_The_Orb_at_Disney_Hall_001--large-msg-120336192972.jpg

http://buzznet-69.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users16/renegademartian/default/03-18-2006_The_Orb_at_Disney_Hall_005_fix--large-msg-120336193239.jpg

http://buzznet-12.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users16/renegademartian/default/03-18-2006_The_Orb_at_Disney_Hall_010--large-msg-120336193453.jpg

http://buzznet-78.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users16/renegademartian/default/03-18-2006_The_Orb_at_Disney_Hall_026_f--large-msg-120336193803.jpg

http://buzznet-00.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users16/renegademartian/default/03-18-2006_The_Orb_at_Disney_Hall_047_f--large-msg-120336194043.jpg

http://buzznet-64.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users16/renegademartian/default/03-18-2006_The_Orb_at_Disney_Hall_062_fix--large-msg-120336194251.jpg

http://buzznet-80.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users16/renegademartian/default/03-18-2006_The_Orb_at_Disney_Hall_109_fix--large-msg-120336194414.jpg

http://buzznet-90.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users16/renegademartian/default/03-18-2006_The_Orb_at_Disney_Hall_113--large-msg-120336194643.jpg

http://buzznet-96.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users16/renegademartian/default/03-18-2006_The_Orb_at_Disney_Hall_135--large-msg-120336194877.jpg

http://buzznet-76.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users16/renegademartian/default/03-18-2006_The_Orb_at_Disney_Hall_209--large-msg-120336195083.jpg

http://buzznet-31.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users16/renegademartian/default/03-18-2006_The_Orb_at_Disney_Hall_231--large-msg-120336195365.jpg

http://buzznet-13.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users16/renegademartian/default/03-18-2006_The_Orb_at_Disney_Hall_281--large-msg-120336195598.jpg

http://buzznet-83.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users16/renegademartian/default/msg-120336195852.jpg

HEADSTRUCK
03-02-2008, 08:01 AM
VOTE PLUMP DJ's '08!!!

would love that but doubtful. would love a Far Too Loud add but that wont happen either. check them out if u havent b4.

blackchango
03-02-2008, 09:43 AM
Great pics Ivankay! you managed to get me and the wifey in one of your shots. At the cafe having an $8 corona at the far right wearing a hat!

ivankay
03-02-2008, 11:28 AM
Great pics Ivankay! you managed to get me and the wifey in one of your shots. At the cafe having an $8 corona at the far right wearing a hat!

cool. That was a fun night. If you want me to send you the picture, pm me your email.

blackchango
03-12-2008, 04:12 PM
="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5wzJCjiHu-8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5wzJCjiHu-8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
new orb video! sigh! maybe next year..

shakermaker113
11-01-2008, 07:55 PM
I wasn't sure whther to post this in the tricky thread or the orb thread, but I found this (http://www.purelivegigs.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=6344) on pure live gigs and was wondering if anybody here could vouch for it? maybe this is part of the cause of the orb disaster?

I saw Tricky many times prior to 2002. Now he doesn't come to America...
At Coachella 2001, he played for 35 mins and was actually offered money from Goldenvoice not to play. Then they took some of the Orb's gear as they were disassembling their own.

I can't imagine how it got to the point where they would offer someone money to not play. I also wonder the logistics of that... was it before the performance started, or during, that they tried to cut it? hmm.

lunatic core
02-15-2010, 01:51 AM
Actually the tent was running late all day. There was some groups earlier in the day who wouldn't get off when it was time. I spent most of the day in that tent. Watched Squarepusher and Plaid back to back. Later watched Sigur Ros and Tricky leading up to the Orb. I came to see Orb and was heartbroken. However I discovered Sigur Ros and Plaid that day.