PDA

View Full Version : profits for supre and delta looking grim

kreutz2112
12-06-2007, 12:34 PM
Bands Seek Piece of Ticket Scalpers' Action (http://www.wired.com/entertainment/music/news/2007/12/ticket_sales)

Yablonowitz
12-06-2007, 12:55 PM
That makes as much sense as a three-legged ballerina.

Ill_Eagle
12-06-2007, 01:20 PM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/128295333672657500richarddreyfuss.jpg

ruetheday
12-06-2007, 01:25 PM
that is probably the greatest thing I have ever seen.

Sexecutioner
12-06-2007, 02:00 PM
i think its kind of dumb. it doesnt do anything to actually stop scalping, just puts some of the money back to the music industry. what they need to do is just make all concert tickets sold linked to a cc/photo id that must be presented at the door.

fatbastard
12-06-2007, 02:12 PM
Prepare for higher prices.

shakermaker113
12-06-2007, 04:20 PM
I don't understand how they expect to enforce a tax on ticket reselling. most of it's done on the black market anyway. what will this change?

what they need to do is just make all concert tickets sold linked to a cc/photo id that must be presented at the door.

that makes reselling tickets extremely difficult. and there are valid, non-scalper reasons for reselling. we've all been in that position, I'm sure.

suprefan
12-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Wait a minute, how did I get thrown in here? Im still getting crucified over $40 a year later?

ok..............................................

thelastgreatman
12-06-2007, 04:40 PM
I don't understand how they expect to enforce a tax on ticket reselling. most of it's done on the black market anyway. what will this change?

that makes reselling tickets extremely difficult. and there are valid, non-scalper reasons for reselling. we've all been in that position, I'm sure.

Actually I'm beginning to think that most of it isn't done on the black market. Most of it's done through companies like mine.

Alchemy
12-06-2007, 05:02 PM
i think its kind of dumb. it doesnt do anything to actually stop scalping, just puts some of the money back to the music industry. what they need to do is just make all concert tickets sold linked to a cc/photo id that must be presented at the door.

I don't think they are exactly trying to stop scalping. The artists just want to be compensated. Sort of like the writer's strike stuff going on right now with internet videos.

shakermaker113
12-06-2007, 07:40 PM
Actually I'm beginning to think that most of it isn't done on the black market. Most of it's done through companies like mine.

really? hmm. well I take back what I said.

I don't think they are exactly trying to stop scalping. The artists just want to be compensated.

that doesn't make much sense. if they wanted compensation then why wouldn't they just increase the face value of the ticket?

woogie846
12-06-2007, 08:13 PM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/128295333672657500richarddreyfuss.jpg

I lold.

Sexecutioner
12-06-2007, 08:19 PM

but reselling would still be possible. ive thought about this, and here is my idea. they have some website that is like an escrow for tickets, so if you want to resell your tickets, you have to do it through this website, which makes sure the transaction is for face value. the buyer pays the site face value, and once he receives the tickets, it transfers the money to the seller, and puts the tickets under the new owners name. i know, its a little rough around the edges, but i think something similar to that would be a good idea. i mean, they do this for glastonbury, and other big events in europe, dont they? (not the whole escrow thing, just making the ticket connected to your name and showing ID when you enter)

that doesn't make much sense. if they wanted compensation then why wouldn't they just increase the face value of the ticket?
because they know they wouldnt sell as many tickets if they increased the value that much. not everybody would pay scalper prices...only the rich, desperate, lazy fucks do. you think radiohead would sell out hollywood bowl if all tickets were 500 bucks a pop? well, maybe, since its radiohead, and its in hollywood, so everybody is rich and lazy. bad example i guess, but hopefully you get my point...

shakermaker113
12-06-2007, 10:24 PM
but reselling would still be possible. ive thought about this, and here is my idea. they have some website that is like an escrow for tickets, so if you want to resell your tickets, you have to do it through this website, which makes sure the transaction is for face value. the buyer pays the site face value, and once he receives the tickets, it transfers the money to the seller, and puts the tickets under the new owners name. i know, its a little rough around the edges, but i think something similar to that would be a good idea. i mean, they do this for glastonbury, and other big events in europe, dont they? (not the whole escrow thing, just making the ticket connected to your name and showing ID when you enter)

glastonbury does it. but that means everyone must commit to going at the time tickets are purchased, and if anything else comes up and you can't make it then you're money's gone.

your idea sounds like it would work, but it would take some effort.

because they know they wouldnt sell as many tickets if they increased the value that much. not everybody would pay scalper prices...only the rich, desperate, lazy fucks do. you think radiohead would sell out hollywood bowl if all tickets were 500 bucks a pop? well, maybe, since its radiohead, and its in hollywood, so everybody is rich and lazy. bad example i guess, but hopefully you get my point...

right. so if they are $50 a ticket face value, as it is currently, the sell out instantly and scalpers charge $500 or whatever. if they tried to charge $500 face value it wouldn't sell out, and everyone loses. but there is some medium (maybe $120 a ticket? $150?) that will reduce the demand just enough to fit the venue. the re-sell value will be minimally higher than face, if at all higher, and there will be demand remaining that the concert just sells out.

it would sucks for the fans, because it would make the concerts more exclusive to richer people. but if the biz was just concerned about the potential revenue they are losing with the current low price/high re-sale scheme, just raising the face value would be a lot easier than trying to tax grey-market activity.

Sexecutioner
12-06-2007, 10:31 PM
it would sucks for the fans, because it would make the concerts more exclusive to richer people. but if the biz was just concerned about the potential revenue they are losing with the current low price/high re-sale scheme, just raising the face value would be a lot easier than trying to tax grey-market activity.

well thats probably the point, they want to take money away from the scalpers, not the average fan. im glad they are going the harder route to try to save the fans from paying more. i doubt it will be very successful, but good for them for trying.

Ill_Eagle
12-07-2007, 03:08 AM
I lold.

So did I. AWESOME.

shakermaker113
12-07-2007, 12:39 PM
well thats probably the point, they want to take money away from the scalpers, not the average fan. im glad they are going the harder route to try to save the fans from paying more. i doubt it will be very successful, but good for them for trying.

oh. yeah. ha. well I guess I almost answered my own question then. ok, I'm cool with this idea now. though I still think it will be ridiculous trying to enforce it.