PDA

View Full Version : So I am looking to maybe move to Arizona...

Deviate_420
12-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Scottsdale or Tempe.Any Arizonians have any advice? Tips about the area? What there is to do anything?

bballarl
12-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Pizzeria Bianco is in Phoenix.

psychic friend
12-04-2007, 01:42 PM
hang out with amy and her husband

ruetheday
12-04-2007, 01:42 PM
don't go to arizona. It sucks and everyone is ugly.

J~$$$
12-04-2007, 01:43 PM
Thats a given. Maybe thats why 420 is moving there.

Deviate_420
12-04-2007, 01:44 PM
hang out with amy and her husband

This is my secret motivation for moving....

Deviate_420
12-04-2007, 01:44 PM
Thats a given. Maybe thats why 420 is moving there.

I have always wanted to be the coolest person in a state...

TomAz
12-04-2007, 01:47 PM
tempe is full of hot college chicks

the really good looking ones move to scottsdale after graduation to become trophy wives.

Deviate_420
12-04-2007, 01:48 PM
tempe is full of hot college chicks

scottsdale is where their hot MILF moms live after breast enhancement surgery.

I am looking at apartments on the boarder of both!! FUck yeah. Maybe I should ditch the Fiance.....

TomAz
12-04-2007, 01:51 PM
If you have a "fiance" then I wouldn't think you'd be interested in chicks or MILFs. but you might want to hang with amy's husband.

J~$$$
12-04-2007, 01:54 PM
If you move there TomAz will provide you with the top 10 glory holes in town.

Deviate_420
12-04-2007, 01:56 PM
lolz To both. Tom, whereabouts do you live in AZ? I tend to think of you as a Queen Creek kind of guy.

full on idle
12-04-2007, 01:58 PM
My first piece of advice is to use your spacebar (once) after punctuating a sentence. <-- see example.

My second piece of advice is to be careful of wolves.

TomAz
12-04-2007, 02:02 PM
I am looking at apartments on the boarder of both!! FUck yeah. Maybe I should ditch the Fiance.....

the area where tempe and scottsdale come together is a shithole.

lolz To both. Tom, whereabouts do you live in AZ? I tend to think of you as a Queen Creek kind of guy.

uh, no, not Queen Creek. No pickup, no gunrack, no guns for me.

full on idle
12-04-2007, 02:05 PM
"I don't even own AH gun.

What...am I gonna do...with a gun rack?"

Deviate_420
12-04-2007, 02:08 PM
That seems to be where all the red necks live who still think bush is gods gift to this country. Someone was telling be that Scottsdale is alot like Orange County. Whats a nice area that I should look into?

TomAz
12-04-2007, 02:12 PM
Flagstaff.

luckyface
12-04-2007, 02:13 PM
Scottsdale all the way. Tempe might be a little more affordable, but try to live in Scottsdale if you can. So much to do there.

J~$$$
12-04-2007, 02:16 PM
let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack.

Deviate_420
12-04-2007, 02:20 PM
I was looking into Tempe but it looks a little trashy. Flagstaff is too far from where I will be working. Are there nice places in Phonex. Chandler even...

amyzzz
12-04-2007, 02:21 PM
I agree with rue. But hey, the weather is pretty fine right now.

full on idle
12-04-2007, 02:22 PM
let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack.

<3<3

luckyface
12-04-2007, 02:24 PM
I was looking into Tempe but it looks a little trashy. Flagstaff is too far from where I will be working. Are there nice places in Phonex. Chandler even...

Whereabouts will you be working?

Deviate_420
12-04-2007, 02:26 PM
Tempe.

TomAz
12-04-2007, 02:26 PM

I suggested Flag because that's where all the hippies are.

where are you going to be working?

and Frank Caliendo lives in Chandler. it's like the capital of Pointless. even by Arizona standards.

luckyface
12-04-2007, 02:43 PM
Tempe.

You could easily do Scottsdale, Mesa (extremely boring), or Phoenix proper in addition to Tempe. I personally would choose Scottsdale and make the 15-20 minute drive, but that's me. You will be fine with Tempe though if you choose to live there.

ruetheday
12-04-2007, 02:50 PM
Actually idle it is proper to use two spaces after punctuation. <--- like this.

PotVsKtl
12-04-2007, 02:52 PM
HTMLwned.

thelastgreatman
12-04-2007, 02:52 PM
Rueger has a point.

full on idle
12-04-2007, 03:01 PM
HTMLwned.

mountmccabe
12-04-2007, 04:44 PM
Tempe is a college town. Mill Avenue north of the university used to be a cool place to hang out but they've sucked the life out of it by filling it with chains. Trendy chains, I guess, but whatever. There are some good venues in Tempe and there's plenty of life. There are areas that might be considered "trashy" but there are also nicer areas. Most of it is entirely liveable.

Scottsdale is the richer, snobbier neighbor. It is much more expensive - from the rent to the gas, restaurants, bars and nightclubs. There are only a few worthwhile venues in Scottsdale and they don't even regularly have good shows. I wouldn't live in Scottsdale unless I could afford to throw money away. And in that case I wouldn't live in Arizona anyway.

Depending on what part of Tempe you would work in a place in Phoenix might work. Traffic wouldn't be so bad going East from Phoenix. Downtown Phoenix is growing. There are a lot of great, mostly small, venues there. Most of my favorite restaurants are there. That's where the baseball stadium and basketball arena are.

Now I gotta go.

amyzzz
12-04-2007, 04:55 PM
I wish I still lived in Phoenix.

Deviate_420
12-04-2007, 04:57 PM
That was exactly what I was looking for, thanks..

thelastgreatman
12-04-2007, 04:59 PM
You guys all missed the most important question: which is the best town in Arizona to be a bullshit junkie in?

gaypalmsprings
12-04-2007, 04:59 PM
Avondale is nice

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-04-2007, 06:43 PM
maybe I missed it but from where are you moving from?

Deviate_420
12-04-2007, 07:08 PM
San Diego. I am selling my condo because prices are falling on home values and I wanna have a new beginning if you will.

captncrzy
12-04-2007, 07:27 PM
Tempe isn't trashy; it's just older. It's near the University so it's pretty pricey-rent is high because of the college students. They've built some really nice condos and apartments along the Tempe waterfront, but they're even more expensive than the older apartments. I love Tempe though-I like the vibe.

Scottsdale is pretty snotty. I hate pretty much everything about it. It's nice, but seriously, I hate going to a Target there in the middle of the day and seeing bimbos with bad facelifts walking about like they're headed to the club.

I love the Arcadia area of Phoenix-older neighborhood, small bistros, etc. Still snotty but not as bad.

Ahwatukee may be a really good option for you-not as expensive as Scottsdale, nice but not snotty, and really close to Tempe. Plus, it's along the South Mountain range, and the scenery is very nice out there.

pdhow
12-04-2007, 07:38 PM
I would move to south phoenix...nice growing area. Good proximity to downtown and tempe, great mexican restaurants, and culturally one of the most diverse areas in Phoenix. And not one of you better say "and gangs galore" cause we all know thats the westside now.

M Sparks
12-04-2007, 07:50 PM
I suggested Flag because that's where all the hippies are.

The weird thing about Flagstaff is that most of the hippies don't actually LOOK (or smell) like hippies. It seems like 5, maybe 10% on the surface. Then after you live here a while, you realize it's more like 50 or 60% They've just assimilated into society...they own businesses and homes and get elected to city council, rather than just squat on the street.

Which is fine with me, because I tend to side with them politically, at least on local-type issues. And most people are really nice, though traffic is awful, so their asshole sides come out on the road. But the music scene sucks. I've only been to 4 or 5 local shows in the last 4 or 5 years. And most of those I wouldn't have bothered to go to Phoenix for.

It's too bad no one can afford to move here any more. I really do love this area.

and Frank Caliendo lives in Chandler. it's like the capital of Pointless. even by Arizona standards.

Genius. Seems like Glendale and Chandler used to be tied for city with the least personality, but now Glendale has all the new arenas and stadiums, so at least there's a reason to go there occasionally. Though for me, I hate Mesa most of all. It just goes on and on and on.

I had a job last week on the 34th floor of the Chase building downtown. It was really disorienting looking out the window. There was a lot of personality in the few blocks surrounding it...what with the ballpark & arena, and some building with tennis courts on the roof...at least it looks like a city around there. But then you look off in the distance and it's just infinate suburbia. Ick. I'll take my overpriced hills and trees.

M Sparks
12-04-2007, 07:57 PM
I would move to south phoenix...nice growing area. Good proximity to downtown and tempe, great mexican restaurants, and culturally one of the most diverse areas in Phoenix. And not one of you better say "and gangs galore" cause we all know thats the westside now.

My friend lives in south Phoenix in a really nice neighborhood (nice LOOKING, anyway), and she still has bullet holes in her garage and gets a car stolen every couple years.

But she has a white supremacist next door, so that balances things out. :rolleyes

M Sparks
12-04-2007, 08:00 PM
You guys all missed the most important question: which is the best town in Arizona to be a bullshit junkie in?

Kingman and Prescott are the biggest Meth towns. Kind of the opposite of being a junkie, but I'm sure they could learn to live together in harmony.

captncrzy
12-04-2007, 08:01 PM
South Phoenix may look nicer because of all the new buildings, but in the end, it's still a ghetto.

M Sparks
12-04-2007, 08:05 PM
but try to live in Scottsdale if you can. So much to do there.

Like what? I'm not mocking, just asking. I haven't been there since they closed the Cajun House. When I was a kid, I used to go to The Works, but that's long gone, and I'm too old and too married for that scene anymore.

Is Andersons 5th Estate out there? Can't remember...

pdhow
12-04-2007, 08:07 PM
South Phoenix may look nicer because of all the new buildings, but in the end, it's still a ghetto.

Reason being.....no bookstores. Characterizes ghettos unlike any gang or junkies could ever do.

luckyface
12-04-2007, 08:15 PM
Like what? I'm not mocking, just asking. I haven't been there since they closed the Cajun House. When I was a kid, I used to go to The Works, but that's long gone, and I'm too old and too married for that scene anymore.

Is Andersons 5th Estate out there? Can't remember...

It's all about Old Town, my friend. Cajun House (now Venue of Scottsdale) and Andersons (yes it is out there) are complete trash. There is a shit ton in that area though now... Devil's Martini, Dos Gringos, Martini Ranch, Pussycat Lounge, and my favorite... Drift. There are probably 10 or so bars in the area that are worth going to and you can walk to them all. The restaurants around there are real nice too. There is also mid-Scottsdale (not sure what it's called) that is starting to develop a bar scene. Sandbar is one in particular that is sweet. Sapporro is my favorite restaurant in the world, and they also have a nice little bar there.

Basically, the best nightlife is in Scottsdale, if you ask me.

Deviate_420
12-04-2007, 08:51 PM

You're just pissed because you are to much of a broke piece of shit to be a junkie. To get your fix, you have to play one on this board.....

mountmccabe
12-04-2007, 09:34 PM
It's all about Old Town, my friend. Cajun House (now Venue of Scottsdale) and Andersons (yes it is out there) are complete trash. There is a shit ton in that area though now... Devil's Martini, Dos Gringos, Martini Ranch, Pussycat Lounge, and my favorite... Drift. There are probably 10 or so bars in the area that are worth going to and you can walk to them all. The restaurants around there are real nice too. There is also mid-Scottsdale (not sure what it's called) that is starting to develop a bar scene. Sandbar is one in particular that is sweet. Sapporro is my favorite restaurant in the world, and they also have a nice little bar there.

Basically, the best nightlife is in Scottsdale, if you ask me.

I think we have very different tastes in nightlife. Dos Gringos is good and I'll suffer Martini Ranch if there's a good show but I'll be at Mickey's as much as I can.

I just went to Sapporro and had one of the best meals I've ever had so you're on to something there. Though for what you pay, it'd better be that good.

luckyface
12-04-2007, 10:23 PM
I think we have very different tastes in nightlife. Dos Gringos is good and I'll suffer Martini Ranch if there's a good show but I'll be at Mickey's as much as I can.

I just went to Sapporro and had one of the best meals I've ever had so you're on to something there. Though for what you pay, it'd better be that good.

I am more of the laid back type of bargoer, but sometimes I enjoy going to the bars that make you dress up a little. The scenery is very nice. And Mickey's. Is that the place with the fake patio door? If it is, I like that little place.

Have you ever been to Drift? It is a tiki themed bar. Very chill, awesome atmosphere, great music. That is by far my favorite bar in the land.

I am convinced that Sapporo has the greatest fried rice in the world. I presume you did the teppen?

smoke
12-05-2007, 12:06 AM
someone once told me that if you are a failure in your home state...you move to Arizona.

anyway...just got back from Tucson. its really amazing. the Sonoran Desert is beautiful. I didn't get to see downtown Tucson, but wherever I was was pretty nice.

ruetheday
12-05-2007, 12:53 AM
well living in a pile of shit is nicer than riverside. so your comment is kind of pointless.

captncrzy
12-05-2007, 07:59 AM
Yeah, see, I really hate the atmosphere in scottsdale-bunch of posers posturing for position to be seen. At the same time, my very favorite sushi restaurant (Blue Wasabi) is in N. Scottsdale and my very favorite day-drinking bar (Coach House) is in S. Scottsdale. If you're sure you want to live in Scottsdale, I'd pick S. Scottsdale over N. Scottsdale. Just not quite as snobbish. But I still recommend Ahwatukee to live in-it's quiet, and everything is nearby.

C DUB YA
12-05-2007, 08:08 AM
Arizona is too hot for me - I like colder climates - but Tempe is ok I guess.

C DUB YA
12-05-2007, 08:08 AM
someone once told me that if you are a failure in your home state...you move to Arizona.

I thought that was Florida?

BROKENDOLL
12-05-2007, 08:14 AM
I had to go to Riverside for court yesterday. Talk about a clusterfuck of a freeway! It actually seemed to give you the opportunity to escape before getting there! Anyway, no one has mentioned Sedona, Arizona. Is it as beautiful as they say?

captncrzy
12-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Arizona is too hot for me - I like colder climates - but Tempe is ok I guess.

This was the worst summer I can remember; it didn't finally cool off until about 2 weeks ago...it was mid-Nov. and 90 degrees out. It's the first time I've ever considered moving.

captncrzy
12-05-2007, 08:40 AM
I had to go to Riverside for court yesterday. Talk about a clusterfuck of a freeway! It actually seemed to give you the opportunity to escape before getting there! Anyway, no one has mentioned Sedona, Arizona. Is it as beautiful as they say?

Yes, its very beautiful, but very touristy. No jobs other than retail/service and it's very expensive to live there.

downingthief
12-05-2007, 08:44 AM

Mickey's is my favorite "bar" in Scottsdale. Much more laid back, and it generally doesn't have the plastic people in it.

There are things I like about where I live, and things I don't. I live about 2 minutes away from old town. I hate the fake people, so I avoid those places (OR, get to those places early. Kyoto is a prime example...great food, and the plastic people get there late). Kazimierz, too.

I also like that it is central valley now. I'm about 10 minutes away from downtown Tempe, 15-20 minutes away from downtown Phoenix, or Chandler Mall.

luckyface
12-05-2007, 08:51 AM
Yeah, see, I really hate the atmosphere in scottsdale-bunch of posers posturing for position to be seen. At the same time, my very favorite sushi restaurant (Blue Wasabi) is in N. Scottsdale and my very favorite day-drinking bar (Coach House) is in S. Scottsdale. If you're sure you want to live in Scottsdale, I'd pick S. Scottsdale over N. Scottsdale. Just not quite as snobbish. But I still recommend Ahwatukee to live in-it's quiet, and everything is nearby.

Yikes, Coach House is your favorite bar?

luckyface
12-05-2007, 08:52 AM
Mickey's is my favorite "bar" in Scottsdale. Much more laid back, and it generally doesn't have the plastic people in it.

There are things I like about where I live, and things I don't. I live about 2 minutes away from old town. I hate the fake people, so I avoid those places (OR, get to those places early. Kyoto is a primeexample...great food, and the plastic people get there late). Kazimierz, too.

I also like that it is central valley now. I'm about 10 minutes away from downtown Tempe, 15-20 minutes away from downtown Phoenix, or Chandler Mall.

Oh man, I got blackout drunk at Kyoto one time... crazy night. Anyway, I was so drunk, I was convinced Kyoto was the best restaurant I ever had been to. When I went back sober, I thought it was pretty bad. It is all about Sapporo.

downingthief
12-05-2007, 08:58 AM
Oh man, I got blackout drunk at Kyoto one time... crazy night. Anyway, I was so drunk, I was convinced Kyoto was the best restaurant I ever had been to. When I went back sober, I thought it was pretty bad. It is all about Sapporo.

Eh, to each their own. I prefer Kyoto. Also, best Indian place is in Scottsdale...Tandoori Times on Indian School and 68th st.

TomAz
12-05-2007, 09:04 AM
I am convinced that Sapporo has the greatest fried rice in the world. I presume you did the teppen?

I can name at least two sushi restaurants in Scottsdale that are better than Sapporo. Sushi Ko and Hiro Sushi. decor nothing to remark on, but the fish is as good as any I've had in the US.

my very favorite sushi restaurant (Blue Wasabi) is in N. Scottsdale

see above.

also the comment about bimbos with facelifts (and boob jobs) at Target is not an exaggeration.

TomAz
12-05-2007, 09:06 AM
Eh, to each their own. I prefer Kyoto. Also, best Indian place is in Scottsdale...Tandoori Times on Indian School and 68th st.

we've had this discussion. Taste of India, on Bell & 16th in Phoenix, is the best Indian food in town.

luckyface
12-05-2007, 09:10 AM
I can name at least two sushi restaurants in Scottsdale that are better than Sapporo. Sushi Ko and Hiro Sushi. decor nothing to remark on, but the fish is as good as any I've had in the US.

I actually don't like seafood, so sushi doesn't matter to me. I am talking about their other food.

downingthief
12-05-2007, 09:11 AM
we've had this discussion. Taste of India, on Bell & 16th in Phoenix, is the best Indian food in town.

Go to the Times. Seriously...do it now. You will see the light.

TomAz
12-05-2007, 09:21 AM
I was just about to reply that I have been there, but I looked it up and it's not the place I was thinking of. so no I have not been. I think I'll give it a try.

captncrzy
12-05-2007, 09:47 AM
Yikes, Coach House is your favorite bar?

No. I'ts my favorite day drinking bar. It's fun during the day....guys reading the paper after playing golf, people just hanging out watching football, crackheads, etc. I love people watching there.

At night it just turns into plastic people like the rest of them.

amyzzz
12-05-2007, 11:34 AM
QFT

Someday I am going to go eat at the Tandoori Times and go dancing at Anderson 5th Estate afterwards. A girl can dream anyway.

mountmccabe
12-05-2007, 11:48 AM
I am more of the laid back type of bargoer, but sometimes I enjoy going to the bars that make you dress up a little. The scenery is very nice. And Mickey's. Is that the place with the fake patio door? If it is, I like that little place.

Have you ever been to Drift? It is a tiki themed bar. Very chill, awesome atmosphere, great music. That is by far my favorite bar in the land.

I am not sure if Mickey's has the patio door you're talking about. It is right across the street from Martini Ranch and has a lot of couches and such. It is definitely a laid back bar; it does not feel at all like Scottsdale.

I can understand the desire to occasionally go to a bar where you have to dress up nice but going somewhere packed and loud like those places tend to be isn't my idea of fun.

I have not been to Drift but it sounds like it could be cool.

We did do the Teppen at Sapporo and yeah, that fried rice was probably the best fried rice I've ever had. I am generally not a fan of fried rice, though.

And though I love sushi I did not get any there. I will have to note down those places you mentioned Tom and hit them up.

Deviate_420
12-05-2007, 12:08 PM
I just wanna know if the weed is good, or if I am going to have to start bringging itfrom San Diego...

captncrzy
12-05-2007, 12:44 PM
No. It's the desert-the lack of moisture in the air produces "dirt weed".

Deviate_420
12-05-2007, 12:56 PM
So if I started to sell weed from California, would I be able to make a killing?

TomAz
12-05-2007, 01:04 PM
you would be the first to have had that idea, I'm sure.

captncrzy
12-05-2007, 02:51 PM
No self respecting weed smoker would purchase dirt weed anyway....you can find decent stuff but you need to find a good supplier.

rage patton
12-05-2007, 02:57 PM
So if I started to sell weed from California, would I be able to make a killing?

I live in BC. I could hook you up...

pdhow
12-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Scottsdale is alright. You all should venture out to Avondale. I hear they have this place called Westgate. Its the bomb! That's of course only if you can make it when you drive past the huge spaceship in the middle of the desert.

gaypalmsprings
12-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Avondale has NASCAR too!

Deviate_420
12-05-2007, 09:31 PM
I live in BC. I could hook you up...

PM me prices and names and we will figure out how to get from point A to point B.

luckyface
12-05-2007, 10:45 PM
I am not sure if Mickey's has the patio door you're talking about. It is right across the street from Martini Ranch and has a lot of couches and such. It is definitely a laid back bar; it does not feel at all like Scottsdale.

I can understand the desire to occasionally go to a bar where you have to dress up nice but going somewhere packed and loud like those places tend to be isn't my idea of fun.

I have not been to Drift but it sounds like it could be cool.

We did do the Teppen at Sapporo and yeah, that fried rice was probably the best fried rice I've ever had. I am generally not a fan of fried rice, though.

And though I love sushi I did not get any there. I will have to note down those places you mentioned Tom and hit them up.

I think I have Mickey's confused with another bar like it down there. Whatever bar I am thinking about, there is a door that supposedly opens to a patio, but it is just this door that blasts loud sirens when opened. It is put there for people to trick their friends into opening it and making them feel like a jackass.

Definitely hit up Drift! Seriously, best bar in town. It seems like it should be high class, but you can wear t-shirts and sandals. Awesome environment and a manageable number of people on weekends.

And I am glad you know where it's at with the fried rice.

captncrzy
12-06-2007, 07:49 AM
Avondale has NASCAR too!

MOre importantly, it's where I live.

amyzzz
12-06-2007, 11:32 AM
I have no idea where the fuck Avondale is.

Jerm05
12-06-2007, 12:27 PM

you pass right by it when taking the 10 to coachella

captncrzy
12-06-2007, 12:51 PM

Yeah, it's west of the 101; you go through it on your way out of town.

amyzzz
12-06-2007, 01:41 PM
I thought that was Buckeye. Where is it in relation to Buckeye?

anti-square
12-06-2007, 01:41 PM
San Diego. I am selling my condo because prices are falling on home values and I wanna have a new beginning if you will.

Which is why right now is NOT the time to sell. Rent it out and wait for prices to stabilize in 2009 if you wish to make $.

captncrzy
12-06-2007, 01:55 PM
I thought that was Buckeye. Where is it in relation to Buckeye?

Buckeye is about 30 miles west of Avondale.

TomAz
12-06-2007, 02:04 PM
avondale is near litchfield park. they have bombs there.

amyzzz
12-06-2007, 02:15 PM
east side > west side

captncrzy
12-06-2007, 03:08 PM
West side > Mesa

amyzzz
12-06-2007, 03:09 PM
Hey, we got mesa amphitheatre! I just wish they'd turn that shit up.