PDA

View Full Version : Shut up and Camp you freaks

faxman75
11-30-2007, 02:52 PM
Really, it's not even hardcore camping. There are so many benefits to it as well. I'm not hardcore camper either. In fact I camp once a year and it's at coachella.

Benefits to camping-

Total cost for 4 fucking nights Thursday - Sunday= $40 compare that to the hundreds you will spend at a hotel or house and then the inconvenience of parking a mile or two away.

Parking=closest parking lot to the event, you dont' have to park 2 miles away, or one mile away. You park right fucking next to the camping area.

Luxary=As far as camping goes, that is what you have here. Luxary camping. Showers, real fucking showers. If you see a line keep walking around the perimeter of the camping area there are more showers. I walked by people who waited over an hour for some reason and walked right into another shower with little to no wait. They also have portapotties everywhere, I know they suck but really. Then you have a general store where you can buy just about anything you need from ice to ibuprofin. I even found a random outlet in a shade tent to charge my phone if you don't wait to wait inside the event do do that. Tons of food places inside as well. Also, what the fuck? They had sinks??? That's right, outside the shower trailers they set up mats with outdoor sinks for you to shave, brush your teeth, do whatever the fuck you want.

Easy access=You also get to enter through an onsite camping entrance to the fest. Avoid long lines.

is it hot? yea, it's rough fom 6am-you enter the fest. Pour water on your face and head alot. Go sit in your car and run the ac. It's really the only inconvenience. Other than that you will meet tons of great people from around the fucking world. You will laugh, get stoned, sing songs, who the fuck knows. Or just put on your ipod and go to sleep. It's pefect weather at night.

Alright, so stop fretting about a freakin' hotel and the crazy california rich kid crap and just camp. It's great. I promise :)

COTTENmafia
11-30-2007, 03:28 PM
I agree. I only live about 10 miles from the field but Ive always wanted to camp anyway. There is such a cool community vibe and your night doesnt just end at 11! My sister and I are thinking about ditching the boyfriends and doing it all out this year. All Ill need is a tent and my ipod. Oh, and beer.

dontfeedthebird
12-01-2007, 12:26 AM
Not matter how many friends I made, I still had such a bad attitude from the two hours pre-festi that I wasn't happy.

orbit
12-01-2007, 12:31 AM
Put more showers please.

AND OPEN THEM EARLY.

gaypalmsprings
12-01-2007, 12:32 AM
camping will prolly be $50

dontfeedthebird
12-01-2007, 12:43 AM
camping will prolly be $50

I'm showering at GPS' even though I have a hotel. He doesn't know it.

rage patton
12-01-2007, 01:23 AM
Put more showers please.

AND OPEN THEM EARLY.

Agreed. Actually, since Stagecoach has a whole bunch of extra room for RV parking... perhaps GV will open extra space for more camping area and more showers.

Boourns
12-01-2007, 01:42 AM
The vibe is cool, the price is right, it's within walking distance of the festival, karaoke all pluses, but being allergic to grass and dust (which covered the campgrounds in an oppressive cloud every night this year) was too much this year :(

roberto73
12-01-2007, 05:53 AM
Camping was the worst part of the festival for me last year. Then again, I'm not sociable, I'm no longer a drug user, and I'd rather drink with friends. Being close to the entrance couldn't offset how irritated I was with every other aspect of the campground.

tiffdud41
12-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Hey, if you HATE camping (even Coachella camping), but want all the perks of it--like parking close, special entrance, and the cool "vibe"--just get camping tix, but don't actually camp.

That's what all the cool kids are doing who don't like tents but do like a/c.

fatbastard
12-02-2007, 08:44 PM
I'm showering at GPS' even though I have a hotel. He doesn't know it.

Don't drop the soap.

fatbastard
12-02-2007, 09:11 PM
Benefits of not camping:

There are also benefits to not camp. Imagine waking up at 7:00AM inside of a cold hotel room. Your skin is feeling a bit burned but the cold is making your nose run just a tad. Imagine getting up, putting on a pair of swimming trunks and walking 25-30 steps to a made to order breakfast bar. Watch the news or read the paper as you eat and discuss the previous days event. Walk 25-30 yards to the pool. Submerge yourself in slightly cool/tepid water. Swim for an hour or so.
Make small talk with other people who are talking about who they seen the day before. Go back to your room and watch a movie, read a book or go back to sleep. Shower around 11 or 12 and drive to a local eatery. Enjoy a beer and corned beef or a margarita and tacos. Go back to the room for the restroom (if needed) then head on over to the concert. Smile as you walked past people who lay on the ground looking like glazed donuts. Get in your car at the end of the night, drive back to the hotel, jump into cool white sheets (repeat for 3 days).

Happy camping.

orbit
12-02-2007, 11:40 PM
I imagined each one of those benefits for a non-camper, and I have to say that I'll be camping again next year.

Courtney
12-03-2007, 12:36 AM
Benefits of not camping:

There are also benefits to not camp. Imagine waking up at 7:00AM inside of a cold hotel room. Your skin is feeling a bit burned but the cold is making your nose run just a tad. Imagine getting up, putting on a pair of swimming trunks and walking 25-30 steps to a made to order breakfast bar. Watch the news or read the paper as you eat and discuss the previous days event. Walk 25-30 yards to the pool. Submerge yourself in slightly cool/tepid water. Swim for an hour or so.
Make small talk with other people who are talking about who they seen the day before. Go back to your room and watch a movie, read a book or go back to sleep. Shower around 11 or 12 and drive to a local eatery. Enjoy a beer and corned beef or a margarita and tacos. Go back to the room for the restroom (if needed) then head on over to the concert. Smile as you walked past people who lay on the ground looking like glazed donuts. Get in your car at the end of the night, drive back to the hotel, jump into cool white sheets (repeat for 3 days).

Happy camping.

I like this plan in theory. But even when I stay at a nice hotel and have big aspirations to utilize its amenities, I always end up sleeping the day away and then needing to rush out. I think I made it to the pool for a grand total 45 minutes last year. But sleeping on a comfy bed with air conditioning? So, so worth it.

faxman75
12-03-2007, 08:17 AM
I'll save the $400 + it costs to do all that comfy luxary crap at Coachella and use it in Vegas the month before for March Madness.

Seems like a huge waste of dough for a festival.

lowfront
12-03-2007, 08:29 AM
I'll be camping without a doubt

Last year camping was a breeze for me, hopefully it will work out again this year.

ArcadeParade
12-03-2007, 09:58 AM
I won't be camping, but am leaning closer to having a campground pass...Is it a literal pass? or is it a wristband that can't be interchanged amongst people?

psychic friend
12-03-2007, 10:00 AM
wristband, cant be interchanged amongst people.

MarkO
12-03-2007, 10:21 AM
Off site camping ftw ...

No restrictions within reason on area you take up. Grills/coolers of beer are a-ok. Walk 15ft to your car. Wait 10mins tops for a shower and that's likely because they're in there cleaning it.

The ride in/out isn't bad as CHP will usually trip the lights at night on Jefferson so they stay green most of the way from the fest site to I10. Getting out of parking can take a while for sure but an hour in an a/c'd car with some cool beverages isn't that bad.

Bud Luster
12-03-2007, 10:30 AM
I fully understand the perks of a hotel, have done it before and might consider it again. The problem w/ my group (when I actually have one and am not solo) is that no one stays sober to drive. So camping on site is our best option. I like it anyway. The way a music fest should be done imo.

Botrocker
12-03-2007, 11:16 AM
I love camping at coachella. It's fucking awesome.

Courtney
12-03-2007, 11:18 AM
The problem w/ my group (when I actually have one and am not solo) is that no one stays sober to drive.

This is another reason why some smart person could make a bunch of money running a shuttle service back and forth to area hotels.

BROKENDOLL
12-03-2007, 11:25 AM
This is another reason why some smart person could make a bunch of money running a shuttle service back and forth to area hotels.
While living right down the street from the venue, I've often asked myself how this could be done as well. It would be a win/win situation for many.

fatbastard
12-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Hotels offer shuttles but they charge a grip of money.

arie117
12-03-2007, 02:03 PM
i just hated waking up baking in my tent. it was literally wake and bake(= other than that i loved camping

Courtney
12-03-2007, 02:14 PM
Hotels offer shuttles but they charge a grip of money.

Which hotels? I have not heard about this. Except maybe at the Best Western Date Tree? But I didn't know that there were multiple hotels doing it.

mvanwinkle
12-03-2007, 02:34 PM
i just hated waking up baking in my tent. it was literally wake and bake(= other than that i loved camping

the only way i was able to survive that was showering in the morning right when i woke up at like 730 and not drying off and then another shower at 11 or so right before I went in to the gates. pure cold water. did not even think about touching the hot knob.

arie117
12-03-2007, 02:48 PM
the only way i was able to survive that was showering in the morning right when i woke up at like 730 and not drying off and then another shower at 11 or so right before I went in to the gates. pure cold water. did not even think about touching the hot knob.

i was waking up way before 7... it sucked beign sooo tired. i would try to sleep in back of the tents at the venue but too many people would fuck with me cuz they thought i was passed out from drugs or something

PrettyRagdoll
12-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Hey, if you HATE camping (even Coachella camping), but want all the perks of it--like parking close, special entrance, and the cool "vibe"--just get camping tix, but don't actually camp.

That's kind of fucked up though. If you don't want to camp, don't take the ticket from someone who DOES want to camp.

mvanwinkle
12-03-2007, 03:39 PM
That's kind of fucked up though. If you don't want to camp, don't take the ticket from someone who DOES want to camp.

if they want to pay 40 bucks for a less shitty parking spot, and a line that does not always get them in faster then the regular entrance line by cutting out a few less people camping. sure. besides the guy i camped next to bought his camping tickets thursday at some record shop. so they were still available.

Bud Luster
12-03-2007, 05:21 PM

The onsite camping parking lot entrace closes at 10, so you'd best be early. Also, the camper entrance to the fest took longer than the regular entrace SO not really a perk there. A waste of $50 and camping tix for people that actually wanted to camp...

amyzzz
12-03-2007, 05:52 PM
...and you can't leave the camping parking lot from 11pm to 2am I believe.

scoop49er
12-03-2007, 08:59 PM
i got my hotel room... end of story.. camping is cool if i want to be with the wildneress, but if i want to rock, i need my a/c and sleep! :)

emtgreg
12-03-2007, 09:30 PM
I enjoy my sleep as much as I enjoy my music...

I can afford the Waldorf Astoria,

So I will be found at the Waldorf Astoria...

I Camped in 07, you know, purity of experience & all that shit.

Fuck being dirty, sweaty and having no escape from the heat.

I LOVE the idea of being able to FREEZE my 2L camelback, and strap that shit to me.

Security was like "me no like camelback bad!" I was like "its empty, see!" as I wave the open tube around...

imrad
12-04-2007, 01:33 AM
i think the only real way to do music festivals is with camping. the campgrounds become communities for those few days, and you meet so many people and everyone is there to just have fun and love music. :)

blakely
12-05-2007, 04:14 PM
i think the only real way to do music festivals is with camping. the campgrounds become communities for those few days, and you meet so many people and everyone is there to just have fun and love music. :)

until i steal your shit and drink your beer

: )

mvanwinkle
12-05-2007, 05:19 PM
we got a lawn chair stolen the first day. nothing major. we just had to resort to sitting on an ice chest and the ground instead.

Mystagogue
12-05-2007, 06:07 PM
I AM a hardcore camper...but I'm booking a hotel. At the end of the day I'm just too tired and it's too freakin hot to camp. Air conditioning all the way.

scoop49er
12-05-2007, 06:50 PM
yeah i have to have my hotel room so i can chill out and relax. i put so much energy into the fest that i need a break. camping is not a option, hotel is! :) but to all of u going to camp, good luck! :)

Courtney
12-05-2007, 06:54 PM
I enjoy my sleep as much as I enjoy my music...

I can afford the Waldorf Astoria,

So I will be found at the Waldorf Astoria...

I Camped in 07, you know, purity of experience & all that shit.

Fuck being dirty, sweaty and having no escape from the heat.

I LOVE the idea of being able to FREEZE my 2L camelback, and strap that shit to me.

Security was like "me no like camelback bad!" I was like "its empty, see!" as I wave the open tube around...

There's a Waldorf Astoria in Indio?

blakely
12-05-2007, 07:47 PM
There's a Waldorf Astoria in Indio?

Yeah, they have gourmet meth there and everything.

dontfeedthebird
12-06-2007, 01:13 AM
The onsite camping parking lot entrace closes at 10, so you'd best be early. Also, the camper entrance to the fest took longer than the regular entrace SO not really a perk there. A waste of $50 and camping tix for people that actually wanted to camp...

I know what the rules say. But I know I was in and out all morning from the camper parking lot. We almost missed HOT CHIP and they almost broke our faces.

F00FIGHTER20
12-06-2007, 08:46 AM
is it easy to get beer into the camp gounds?.....am i better off bringing something clear, like vodka in water bottles?..

faxman75
12-06-2007, 08:50 AM
Well, the more stealthlike the better. they do take a peak in coolers most of the time. Nothing is 100%. It's all at the risk of losing it but I think clear would help.

paganman7
12-06-2007, 02:27 PM
I camped two years in a row...I've served my time.

Why drive all the way to Walmart to take a comfy shit when you can just do it in your hotel room? Ahhh...comfy shits whenever I want.

picks up chair
12-06-2007, 03:55 PM
You could also watch Coachella through blueroom from the comfort of your own home but I think being there actually adds to the experience a tad.

Botrocker
12-06-2007, 04:25 PM
exactly. haha

Trick Loves The Kids
12-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Coachella isn't Coachella if you don't camp.

On Sunday morning of '07 me and my friend found a hose that was turned on, near the showers. Getting sprayed by a hose was one of the most enjoyable experiences I've ever had.

Also if you stay in a hotel you miss out on the crazy people in the campsite which is worth the price of admission alone.

Wheres the beef?
12-06-2007, 08:27 PM

FALSE

ADrunkPoet
12-07-2007, 02:15 AM
I've camped two years in a row now. Coachella is not the same without
my small tent, a drum circle session and a massive hang over as soon as the
sun peaks over the mountains.

Come to think of it, I don't think I am awake at 8 in the morning at any point other than Coachella.

My advice to campsite 1st timers: Sleep a lot the days before going, and be prepared to sleep a lot the day after getting home. You're not going to get much sleep in the camp-site. However, it will be the best weekend of the year through and through.

Boourns
12-09-2007, 01:07 PM
Something like this would be really cool:
http://www.podpads.com/index.asp?ref=CONNECT07

rage patton
12-09-2007, 01:11 PM

That would be awesome! I would be willing to pay extra for it too.

Courtney
12-09-2007, 01:54 PM

Awesome. Looks like:

http://trus.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pTRU1-3348749dt.jpg

rage patton
12-09-2007, 02:18 PM
Awesome. Looks like:

Hahaha... yes... they are kinda goofy looking. But if it meant an extra hour or two of sleep, I am all for it.

emtgreg
12-09-2007, 04:14 PM
Yeah, they have gourmet meth there and everything.

hahahahahah

gourmet meth?

rad, ill get to meet lohan there then...

http://www.laquintaresort.com

Bud Luster
12-09-2007, 06:11 PM
FALSE

What's false about my statement kings?

Cancersticks1
12-09-2007, 07:55 PM

That is brilliant. Although I can see it attracting gnomes...

Wheres the beef?
12-09-2007, 11:14 PM
What's false about my statement kings?

The campers lot is open 24hours from opening until the first day. I think its only after the first day that it starts closing down at night and won't let people in until the next morning. But they aren't going to stop you from leaving.

The campers line was longer than the non-camper festival entrance tho. I will give you that one, it was bullshit.

Rap/rock Is Life
12-10-2007, 09:03 AM
gourmet meth? i wanna try dat shit!

campin is off tha hook! all i had wuz a pup tent, pillow, a kooler fulla FAYGO, febreez,e an d enuf crystal to be crunked all weekend!

chiapet
12-10-2007, 06:45 PM
The campers lot is open 24hours from opening until the first day. I think its only after the first day that it starts closing down at night and won't let people in until the next morning. But they aren't going to stop you from leaving.

Okay, from the camping FAQ: "In and out parking for reserved onsite camping parking is only allowed until 10AM each day Friday, Saturday and Sunday. (Yes also Open thursday through 10am Saturday)"

It wasn't closed down all night - there was no re-entry during specific hours, I think like 10PM-2AM or something like that. Assuming that was to make exiting traffic as efficient as possible, they could use all lanes for exiting and none for entering traffic.

Boourns
12-12-2007, 12:46 AM
Yeah, we were told on Thursday night that there was no re-entry after 10pm.

ADrunkPoet
12-12-2007, 01:53 AM
I feel bad for those camping who tried to run to the closest Indio liquor store and grab some brews. That must've been a bombshell.

Always read the fine print.

brycerosen
01-03-2008, 03:05 PM
camping was fun as shit deffanetely worth doing for he experience but theirs nothing worse than the 7:30 AM wake up by a blistering hot sun that turns your tent into a sauna. Once you get a house with a pool theres no going back

jenja
01-03-2008, 08:00 PM
So we onsite camped last year, and seriously it made the festival. The people alone are worth the meesly forty bucks we each shelled out. Given it was hot as hell, but if you get a system going youll servive...
Bring plenty of water, shade, alcohol, and whatever else... and live it up... onsite camping makes the weekend a three day party!
As for parking, I don't have much input beings the only time we went to the car was to turn on the ac and pass out for like 3 hours on Sunday morning... but I do suggest something to make you more easily able to find the car. We walked for what seemed like forever trying to find where we parked! LOL
I will add, one of the guys coming with this year has a condo in indio and we will have that option all weekend. my sister wasn't able to make it last year due to health problems, and it will be reasuring to know that she will have a comfy place to go if she takes a health bomb the weekend of coachella again... she is for sure camping but when in doubt have a backup plan! :)

brokendesign
01-03-2008, 11:57 PM
MY FIRST COACHELLA WE GOT A ROOM
THE LAST ONE WE ALL CAMPED OUT.
HONESTLY I HAD A WAAAAAAY BETTER TIME LAST YEAR.
SURE YOU GET A HOT WAKE UP CALL AT AROUND 7 BUT THE WHOLE EXPERINCE IS WELL WORTH IT
ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS SHOWER AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE
AND STAY HIDRATED.
IF YOU LIKE TO PARTY DO THE CAMPING
BECAUSE AT NIGHT ITS ON.
LAST YEAR WE SNUCK IN SOOOOOO MUCH BOOZE AND OTHER UNMENTIONABLES.
WERE DEFINATELY DOING IT BIGGER THIS YEAR.
WERE MOBING 20 DEEP

amyzzz
01-04-2008, 06:21 AM
I finally have a reserved resort room in Palm Springs, thank God. I'm so relieved.

Trailmix
01-04-2008, 07:08 AM
I happen to be a camper and backpacker but have absolutly no interest in camping at Coachella. It is way to freaking hot in the morning. I am to old to have to sneak beer and alcohol anywhere. I like having more options for food choices. I like being able to go to bed in the quiet without annoying drum circles. You also meet many cool people at the hotels not just in the campground. Most of the hotels are packed full of people attending Coachella. Sorry but camping is way overrated.

amyzzz
01-04-2008, 08:04 AM
I just wanna be able to sleep, ya know?

dontfeedthebird
01-04-2008, 09:28 AM
camping gave me a bad attitude by day three.

JJizzle04
01-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Getting sprayed by a hose was one of the most enjoyable experiences I've ever had.

Don't let R Kelly hear you say that Trick!!

anonimouse
01-04-2008, 01:42 PM

word x1000000000

suprefan
01-04-2008, 02:48 PM

Earplugs and sleeping pills. That will work.

Botrocker
01-04-2008, 04:32 PM
I feel bad for those camping who tried to run to the closest Indio liquor store and grab some brews. That must've been a bombshell.

Always read the fine print.

I had no trouble at all.

faxman75
01-04-2008, 04:46 PM

Are people trying to go to bed at like midnight or something? Once the day is done and you get back and bs for a bit and go to bed by say 2am it's not that loud. Then again, a bit of weed and my ipod put me right the fuck to sleep.

amyzzz
01-05-2008, 10:12 AM
I tried that. Did not work. If I had prescription-strength sleeping pills, maybe. Also, I was going to bed around 2am. It was just fucking loud where I was camped. The people next-door stayed up ALL NIGHT. I can't really risk that happening again.

(btw, those people next-door were nice--we hung out with them the last night, and I met breakjaw who also ended up hanging out with them)

MissingPerson
01-07-2008, 07:36 PM
Y'know, I'm a European. I've only ever camped at European festivals. And I'm reading this thread and I'm thinking "Man, I'd give a foot to have camping this good."

Last festival I camped at, the mud in the campsite was literally a foot deep, so everybody went to sleep wet and nearly everybody lost at least one shoe. As a result, people were hospitalised with hypothermia every morning. Because the mud made it so hard to move around and there weren't enough toilets, the whole campsite smelled like raw sewage. It was like The Somme with a better soundtrack.

We were sleeping right between the all-night rave tent and a bunch of bongo hippies, because it was the highest ground we could find. And we did sleep. If you're not tired enough to sleep, you have not been having enough fun.

Despite the abundance of water falling right out of the sky, barely any of the drinking water taps worked, and even when they did, a plastic bottle with a lid on it was harder to find than drugs made out of gold. There were no showers that I could see, although it did rain torrentially, nonstop all three days except for Bloc Party's set and about half an hour of Arcade Fire.

We still had a blast. All about the attitude, man.

faxman75
01-07-2008, 08:11 PM
You don't have rich Cali kids in Europe. Sweet.

Nice post. End of thread.

MissingPerson
01-07-2008, 08:18 PM
Sample photo (Not mine):

http://divillysausages.com/files/photoImages/mudgirl.jpg

Please bear in mind, once again, that some of that mud is almost certainly sewage and that this girl has another two days left without a hot shower or even a tap to wash her hands at.

boarderwoozel3
01-07-2008, 10:08 PM
The picture above is fucking gross, for her sake I hope she was really fucked up when she did this.

chiapet
01-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Yeah, we were told on Thursday night that there was no re-entry after 10pm.

This is absolutely untrue. You could not leave parking during the festival nights during the prime hours for non-campers to be leaving. You were allowed to leave and re-enter on Thursday night.

I'm positive of this, I went to the JAMC show at the Glasshouse, and most certainly re-entered after 10PM.

chiapet
01-07-2008, 10:18 PM
I tried that. Did not work. If I had prescription-strength sleeping pills, maybe. Also, I was going to bed around 2am. It was just fucking loud where I was camped. The people next-door stayed up ALL NIGHT. I can't really risk that happening again.

I am in incredibly light sleeper and didn't really have any trouble sleeping at night. No sleeping pills or other chemical assistance, just earplugs. I slept through that whole camping rage "riot", apparently too. :)

airguitarvet
01-07-2008, 10:49 PM
fuck camping- im staying at a resort in my air conditioned room and cold showers and outdoor swimming pools/ HA

boarderwoozel3
01-07-2008, 10:58 PM
fuck camping- im staying at a resort in my air conditioned room and cold showers and outdoor swimming pools/ HA

do they allow cats?

Wheres the beef?
01-07-2008, 11:54 PM
OOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo

letitbe_
01-08-2008, 08:45 PM
The only thing that scares me about camping is the horrific porto-potty stories.

However, I'm going to suck it up and CAMP!

microserfs21
01-08-2008, 09:59 PM
The only thing that scares me about camping is the horrific porto-potty stories.

Go first thing in the morning and then as soon as you get back from the festival at night. At those times the porta potties will have just been cleaned and not many people will have used them yet.

faxman75
01-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Bears shit in the woods.

letitbe_
01-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the tip.

boarderwoozel3
01-09-2008, 12:57 AM

Hot tip... DO NOT use the port-o-shitters i the parking lot, you'll be sorry.

Once in the festival go to the very back of the row of port-o-shitters, even on sunday they'll be virtually untouched, trust me. People are just impatient like that...

Zippy024
01-09-2008, 04:23 AM
I camped last year for the first time and thought I was well-prepared for the heat and the grime. I love to go camping and I don't think I'm a wuss but camping at Coachella kicked my ass!
The Heat Wake-up Call at 7am is really awful and there is no place to hide for the rest of the morning unless you are lucky enough to find a spot in the internet cafe tent or the trees by the food venders. I was no where near the drum circles at the campsite but I could hear how annoying they could be for the people sleeping nearby. Also, the portapotties run out of toilet paper early so be sure to bring your own.

This year I already made hotel reservations . It may cost a lot but its worth every penny. I'm sleeping in late and lounging by the pool baby!

First-timers - even if you think you can handle the heat, chances are you probably won't. You have been warned.

faxman75
01-09-2008, 07:13 AM
I camped last year for the first time and thought I was well-prepared for the heat and the grime. I love to go camping and I don't think I'm a wuss but camping at Coachella kicked my ass!

All the showers and prepared food was a little too much?

The Heat Wake-up Call at 7am is really awful and there is no place to hide for the rest of the morning unless you are lucky enough to find a spot in the internet cafe tent or the trees by the food venders.

Or the shade tents by the food vendors or your car with the A/C on. Sounds like a decent amount of options. :)

I was no where near the drum circles at the campsite but I could hear how annoying they could be for the people sleeping nearby. Also, the portapotties run out of toilet paper early so be sure to bring your own.

This year I already made hotel reservations . It may cost a lot but its worth every penny. I'm sleeping in late and lounging by the pool baby!

First-timers - even if you think you can handle the heat, chances are you probably won't. You have been warned.

By that advice you shouldn't even attend the festival. The peak heat is much later in the day, not on the camp site. How are you gonna watch your favorite bands if you can't handle the heat? What is the average high 103? Then get packed inside a tent watching your favorite band or standing in a crowd side by side with a few thousand people. It's hot. It's the desert. If the sun wakes you up in the morning, go take a shower, get something cold to drink and find some shade or go put the a/c on in your car and chill for a few hours. If you can't handle the heat at 7am you certainly aren't going to be able to handle it at 3-5pm when you are inside.

Zippy024
01-09-2008, 04:12 PM
All the showers and prepared food was a little too much?

Or the shade tents by the food vendors or your car with the A/C on. Sounds like a decent amount of options. :)

By that advice you shouldn't even attend the festival. The peak heat is much later in the day, not on the camp site. How are you gonna watch your favorite bands if you can't handle the heat? What is the average high 103? Then get packed inside a tent watching your favorite band or standing in a crowd side by side with a few thousand people. It's hot. It's the desert. If the sun wakes you up in the morning, go take a shower, get something cold to drink and find some shade or go put the a/c on in your car and chill for a few hours. If you can't handle the heat at 7am you certainly aren't going to be able to handle it at 3-5pm when you are inside.

All I'm saying is why deal with the heat all day when you don't have to. I can deal with the heat just fine during the festival but its nice to avoid it when I'm just sitting around waiting for the festival to begin. Sorry I'm not as hard core as you are but I actually go to Coachella to enjoy the music and camping at Coachella blows.

And the peak heat is actually from 11a-3p .

picks up chair
01-09-2008, 08:06 PM
I think the point was that if you can stand being forced between many bodies for 30-50 minutes and trying to enjoy a great set in a possibly greater heat (good bands could still play before it cools off), you should be able to relax in the camping area where you're free to comfort yourself by any means possible whilst smiling about your 45$ weekend shelter.

Doesn't it break down to how much you like to camp and hang out with new people vs homey comfort and expenses? Both great tradeoffs.

bliss209
01-09-2008, 09:01 PM
this thread has probably been the most useful thread I have read in a while. I have been 'coachellin' since 2002.

I have seen the campsites, have even sneeked in to visit friends (ssshhh dont tell no one) but I have yet to EVER camp at the festival. I have always stayed at a hotel. And since Coachella started offering camping I have told myself every year, "next year I'm gonna camp!", but i never do. The heat is the #1 reason. After rockin out most of the day at the show, partying and drinking all nite, I NEED the rest to make sure I rock out even HARDER the next day at the festival. AND the next day AND perhaps the next day after that too. :thu

I am a no doubt a camper, and I am definately a festival survivor from making it out alive at Woodstock '94 to staying dry and mud free at Bonnaroo '04 to not getting the crap beatin outta me by a hailstorm at Sasquatch in 2006. I was thoroughly weighing my options about gettin a hotel or camping........... I will admit -I have made my hotel reservations. Maybe I'm gettin old......but mmmmmmm that nice comfy clean soft bed is oh sooo nice.

So thanks guys for all your imput and sharing your camping stories!

prettydirtything
01-23-2008, 11:31 PM
bump...
:bump

Suffacated
01-24-2008, 12:34 AM
2008 campground..

nationocean
01-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Must mention (again).. Smelly hippies with their guitars. Smelly hippies dancing around 24hours. Smelly techno kids drugged out and running around 24hrs. The smell of constant maryjane. The terrible heat, you can't escape it.

No thanks. I'll take my nice warm shower every night. A silent and peaceful sleep and even a dive in the pool in my hotel.

Anyday over the 'camping' experience... BARF

aphrael
01-24-2008, 11:07 AM
To each their own: the hippies with their guitars, dancing around; the rave kiddies running around and being happy; and the smell of pot ... these make the experience more enjoyable, in my mind. :)

Jewcifer
01-24-2008, 11:48 AM
Alright, I did the camping thing for two years. I didn't last year cause i went with my girlfriend and she bought a hotel room. I'm never camping again cause nothing beats AC. I'm Jewish and when i wake up in those tents in the morning i get these eerie flashbacks from the holocaust.

nationocean
01-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Alright, I did the camping thing for two years. I didn't last year cause i went with my girlfriend and she bought a hotel room. I'm never camping again cause nothing beats AC. I'm Jewish and when i wake up in those tents in the morning i get these eerie flashbacks from the holocaust.

uh so you were in the holocaust? what does that make you, like 90yrs old?

faxman75
01-24-2008, 12:39 PM
To each their own: the hippies with their guitars, dancing around; the rave kiddies running around and being happy; and the smell of pot ... these make the experience more enjoyable, in my mind. :)

They all = happiness. I mean that's why the camping experience is pretty fucking cool if you ask me. It's people living free and making friends and stuff. So very cool.

djoz187
01-24-2008, 01:03 PM
I'm used to camping at Lake Cahuilla but I'm camping on site this year, looking forward to it, I got used to the heat the past two years but we'll see how the noise works out, the lake is pretty quiet after the show in the developed area

cindychella
01-24-2008, 01:16 PM

wtf??

cindychella
01-24-2008, 01:18 PM
uh so you were in the holocaust? what does that make you, like 90yrs old?

i have no problem with going to Coachella when i'm 90. i COMPLETELY see myself driving there with my great grandkids.

KindigerJ
01-24-2008, 02:03 PM
People be poons. If you want ALL the comforts of home, then stay there and watch the festivities from your computer. Leave the fun for all the people who can withstand the heat, the smells, the showers, the portapots, the abbreviated sleep patterns, etc. It's a fucking 3 day music and arts festival in the desert. What do you expect??

nationocean
01-24-2008, 02:53 PM
People be poons. If you want ALL the comforts of home, then stay there and watch the festivities from your computer. Leave the fun for all the people who can withstand the heat, the smells, the showers, the portapots, the abbreviated sleep patterns, etc. It's a fucking 3 day music and arts festival in the desert. What do you expect??

i'd rather go and throw bags of my own shit at you.

sounds like fun.

chiapet
01-24-2008, 07:46 PM
No thanks. I'll take my nice warm shower every night.F

I had a nice warm shower every night at the campgrounds. No lines at night.

dontfeedthebird
01-24-2008, 08:17 PM
dont' camp. it was HORRIBLE!@@@@@@@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!@!#@%()@&()7230978202

dontfeedthebird
01-24-2008, 08:18 PM

Although, Jor Jor did kinda smell alright. Kinda.

I mean, if you're into that and shit.

KindigerJ
01-25-2008, 10:48 AM

I braved the direct sun and heat to visit you in the doorway of your tent! It wasn't THAT horrible. I've come to the conclusion that your discontent with camping stems from an aversion to teepees or something. *LOVE* hahahaha

sin213
01-25-2008, 02:35 PM

If you're tired enough, you will sleep. Bring earplugs/ipod for noise control...

If you can't sleep, get up and party a bit more, then try again.

chiapet
01-25-2008, 05:47 PM
I braved the direct sun and heat to visit you in the doorway of your tent! It wasn't THAT horrible. I've come to the conclusion that your discontent with camping stems from an aversion to teepees or something. *LOVE* hahahaha

I think it was that prison jumper he was wearing. It looked really hot. And I mean warm, not sexy. sorry bird.

Trick Loves The Kids
01-25-2008, 05:48 PM
SHUT UP AND CAMP YOU FREAKS

aphrael
01-25-2008, 06:03 PM
I'm concerned about bringing my ipod (although it would be nice to listen to on the drive down/back): apple's documentation on the device claims that it shouldn't be exposed to 100+ heat, and anywhere I take it during the festival (leave it in the car? in the tent? carry it on my person?) might do that.

Have people brought ipods and have them come through unscathed? How did you do it?

chiapet
01-25-2008, 06:40 PM
I brought mine last year, and it was fine. I brought it camping and into the festival, though I didn't really listen to it while I was there (good for the drive down though). If you're worried, lock it in your car? Trunk will be much cooler than the interior of the car, glove box is probably fine too.

orbit
01-25-2008, 06:42 PM
I wouldn't recommend it.

But I've seen people with their ipods in the camping grounds. Even with their laptops.

emtgreg
01-25-2008, 08:25 PM
i lurked the forums and myspace on the campground last year lul

Death
01-26-2008, 06:52 PM
Onsite camping is the only way. Who cares about sleeping? It's a fucking three day party, sleep when you're dead. The people you meet and the things you see make great stories later.

psychic friend
01-26-2008, 06:54 PM
new for 2008

* Larger spaces (8x8)
* Additional Registration areas
* More showers and toilets
* Camping Supply Store
* Will Call at Venue will be open 10am on Thursday!
+ other goodies

sbessiso
01-26-2008, 06:56 PM
Onsite camping is the only way. Who cares about sleeping? It's a fucking three day party, sleep when you're dead. The people you meet and the things you see make great stories later.

fuck yeah dude!!

boarderwoozel3
01-26-2008, 06:58 PM
Ahhhhh gosh, you're the best PF!

More showers is greatly appreciated! Are they going to be open through monday morning though? p-p-p-please?

faxman75
01-26-2008, 06:58 PM
I brought my ipod last year and the year before. I usually keep it in my bag with clothes. No issues no problems.

Suffacated
01-26-2008, 07:15 PM
Hey P.F...
Is the layout ....parking and camping locations basically the same as last year?

NiceArthur32
01-30-2008, 12:18 PM
i'm kind of a douche bag when it comes to taking shits in dirty bathrooms, staying clean, and brushing my teeth/washing my face... but after reading 5 pages of people giving their 2 cents...

I'M FUCKING CAMPING!

Trailmix
01-30-2008, 12:57 PM
All i have to say is when i am walking by the campground it looks like a freakin refuge camp. If you can afford a hotel it is so worth plus then I do not have to drag all the crap I would need to camp across the country.

faxman75
01-30-2008, 01:10 PM
Outside the shower trailer they even have rubber matts to stand on with portable sinks and mirrors. I watched people shave by moonlight. It was pretty fucking cool to be able to brush your teeth, shower and shave.

I mean if you can't stand the idea of camping every then you have no sense of adventure at all. At least the people who have tried it and don't like it have at least tried it.

Trailmix
01-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Outside the shower trailer they even have rubber matts to stand on with portable sinks and mirrors. I watched people shave by moonlight. It was pretty fucking cool to be able to brush your teeth, shower and shave.
I mean if you can't stand the idea of camping every then you have no sense of adventure at all. At least the people who have tried it and don't like it have at least tried it.

Pretty cool to shower shave and brush your teeth? Sound like basic requirements to me.

Why would I want to spend all the money I will be spending and end up hating life the three days of the festival when I know that if I stay in a hotel I will have a great time like the previous three times?

faxman75
01-30-2008, 01:53 PM
It all makes sense. You are a Cubs fan. I understand.

M Sparks
01-30-2008, 02:17 PM
To me, trying to get out of the parking lot spoils everything. I'd rather collapse in a tent at 12:45am than in a hotel room at 3:15am.

Admittedly, it's more money than convenience that's making me camp this year...I have a huge vacation already booked over the summer, and can't afford 3 or 4 nights of a $200 hotel. I wasn't intending to come this year...it was a spur-of-the-moment thing. Camping made it possible.

BUT seriously...getting out of that parking lot is a nightmare. After camping this year, if I'm miserable, I'll try to plan ahead for a hotel the next year. But I honestly think it would be a toss up. I'd rather be miserable in the morning heat after a good nights sleep than miserable in the parking lot wishing I could just go to sleep.

mrdude5699
01-30-2008, 07:37 PM
Ok here's the coachella camping experience cause i'm bored...

You arrive on Thursday around 5 with your tent, an air mattress, and if you can ....a canopy. You settle in and it's really hot but the sun goes down and it feels great. You start to drink a little, and maybe find some smoke...People are super excited..there are cheers often traveling across the campsite. You will meet some weird and interesting people for sure. Plus there is karaoke and drum circles...and that's fun..

You wake up on friday morning and it's fucking hot. You get up...walk to a shower with a short line. Some are more private then others but there is always a short line somewhere. Shower and clean up...then go into town like 15 mins away for some sweet food and shit/AC and then park and go to the festival.

Enjoy festival and come back to your campsite. Convenient especially if you are fucked up..Follow this formula for the rest of the festival...

On Saturday night last year there was a small riot, of 250 or so people very excited to see rage against the machine. Police in full swat gear, police helicopter, and someone got tazered.. There was some guy running for "Mayor of the Riot". I was trippin...and some girl came up and grabbed me and said "It's my birthday!" I was like whoa...

Basically if you are looking for some fun after the concerts end, then go camping. Yeah it's hot, but overall camping makes the Coachella Experience!

Aphxtwinin
01-31-2008, 07:26 AM
coming from Miami the heat really ain't THAT bad...at least its not 100% humidity outside. the experience is great the people are great and I did not have one bit of discomfort in terms of being clean, and im usually a bit of a bitch as well when it comes to that. GV really gives you the basic home comforts like clean bathrooms, showers/sinks, power plugs, and even internet. For $45 er $55 its a deal that cant be beaten even with the heat just take in the vitamin d for the three days and then go back home and play video games and don't go out again till Coachella 2009.

sbessiso
01-31-2008, 07:29 AM
thats right!

go miami!

Aphxtwinin
01-31-2008, 08:15 AM
thats right!

go miami!

hey sbessiso have you made your flight arrangements yet? You going out of MIA or FTL? have i asked you this already cuz i feel like i have.

sbessiso
01-31-2008, 08:21 AM
you may have but i dont remember, no i havent yet, but i would probably be going out of FTL, i figure i can get the plane tickets sometime in mid february, im getting the coachella passed this weekend

what about you?

Aphxtwinin
01-31-2008, 02:38 PM
you may have but i dont remember, no i havent yet, but i would probably be going out of FTL, i figure i can get the plane tickets sometime in mid february, im getting the coachella passed this weekend

what about you?

nah i have not gotten my tix yet either but my mom gets them for me from her miles which he has millions of and ill probably fly out of miami since i dont have to pay

traviscanada
02-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Really, it's not even hardcore camping. There are so many benefits to it as well. I'm not hardcore camper either. In fact I camp once a year and it's at coachella.

Benefits to camping-

Total cost for 4 fucking nights Thursday - Sunday= $40 compare that to the hundreds you will spend at a hotel or house and then the inconvenience of parking a mile or two away.

Parking=closest parking lot to the event, you dont' have to park 2 miles away, or one mile away. You park right fucking next to the camping area.

Luxary=As far as camping goes, that is what you have here. Luxary camping. Showers, real fucking showers. If you see a line keep walking around the perimeter of the camping area there are more showers. I walked by people who waited over an hour for some reason and walked right into another shower with little to no wait. They also have portapotties everywhere, I know they suck but really. Then you have a general store where you can buy just about anything you need from ice to ibuprofin. I even found a random outlet in a shade tent to charge my phone if you don't wait to wait inside the event do do that. Tons of food places inside as well. Also, what the fuck? They had sinks??? That's right, outside the shower trailers they set up mats with outdoor sinks for you to shave, brush your teeth, do whatever the fuck you want.

Easy access=You also get to enter through an onsite camping entrance to the fest. Avoid long lines.

is it hot? yea, it's rough fom 6am-you enter the fest. Pour water on your face and head alot. Go sit in your car and run the ac. It's really the only inconvenience. Other than that you will meet tons of great people from around the fucking world. You will laugh, get stoned, sing songs, who the fuck knows. Or just put on your ipod and go to sleep. It's pefect weather at night.

Alright, so stop fretting about a freakin' hotel and the crazy california rich kid crap and just camp. It's great. I promise :)

I agree with this post, I've only been last year, but camping is WAY to convienent. Traffic would be shit to deal with to and from the festival 3 days in a row.

liddyloo19
02-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Ok, when you say it's gonna be hot, how hot is hot? Coming from Ireland, where the hottest it gets is if you run for the bus, I am trying to imagine it....nope, no can do. Hot at 6am???? Are you SERIOUS? WA-HEY! Stop complaining about it being hot, last year at one festival I woke up in mud and got rained on for the next 48 hours. Lap it up!

liddyloo19
02-06-2008, 12:37 PM

You have obviously never been to a festival in England. Picture this- you have issues with heat. We have issues with people knifing tents, taking shits on your tent, absolutely NO showers at all (not kidding), extremeley drunk people beating each other up, and infamous riots on the last night where everyones tents are at risk of being set alight. A bit of heat? I'll take sunstroke anyday.

liddyloo19
02-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Y'know, I'm a European. I've only ever camped at European festivals. And I'm reading this thread and I'm thinking "Man, I'd give a foot to have camping this good."

Last festival I camped at, the mud in the campsite was literally a foot deep, so everybody went to sleep wet and nearly everybody lost at least one shoe. As a result, people were hospitalised with hypothermia every morning. Because the mud made it so hard to move around and there weren't enough toilets, the whole campsite smelled like raw sewage. It was like The Somme with a better soundtrack.

We were sleeping right between the all-night rave tent and a bunch of bongo hippies, because it was the highest ground we could find. And we did sleep. If you're not tired enough to sleep, you have not been having enough fun.

Despite the abundance of water falling right out of the sky, barely any of the drinking water taps worked, and even when they did, a plastic bottle with a lid on it was harder to find than drugs made out of gold. There were no showers that I could see, although it did rain torrentially, nonstop all three days except for Bloc Party's set and about half an hour of Arcade Fire.

We still had a blast. All about the attitude, man.

Word.

fiopadp7791
02-06-2008, 01:39 PM
Pretty cool to shower shave and brush your teeth? Sound like basic requirements to me.

Why would I want to spend all the money I will be spending and end up hating life the three days of the festival when I know that if I stay in a hotel I will have a great time like the previous three times?

I don't camp except for Coachella... I had pretty low expectations for it when I went in '06. I had a friggin blast! And no... it's not a refugee camp. There's a lot of normal people that don't wanna (or can't) spend boat-loads of $$$ on an area hotel. Plus, that traffic jam in and out everyday must annoy the shit out of you.

higgybaby23
02-06-2008, 02:27 PM
I shared a hotel room with friends in 06 and it was ok. Last year I decided to camp onsite and it was awesome. The plusses far outweigh the minuses. I met great people from England, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Turkey, Spain, Mexico and lots of Canadians. It felt more like a European festival than an American one. I am camping onsite again this year, seeya there!

Wheres the beef?
02-06-2008, 08:41 PM
On Saturday night last year there was a small riot, of 250 or so people very excited to see rage against the machine. Police in full swat gear, police helicopter, and someone got tazered.. There was some guy running for "Mayor of the Riot". I was trippin...and some girl came up and grabbed me and said "It's my birthday!" I was like whoa...

That was my friend Tommy. He was trying to be Mayor of Tent City. I think we were living over on D St. by the bathrooms.

chiapet
02-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Ok, when you say it's gonna be hot, how hot is hot? Coming from Ireland, where the hottest it gets is if you run for the bus, I am trying to imagine it....nope, no can do. Hot at 6am???? Are you SERIOUS? WA-HEY! Stop complaining about it being hot, last year at one festival I woke up in mud and got rained on for the next 48 hours. Lap it up!

It'll probably be at least 35C, and has been up to 40C or so in the past. Water, sunblock, and a hat make it alright though.

chiapet
02-06-2008, 10:02 PM
i'm kind of a douche bag when it comes to taking shits in dirty bathrooms, staying clean, and brushing my teeth/washing my face

Showers were no dirtier than gym/beach/pool ones would be, and they have sinks as well (though they ran out of water a few times). Port-a-potties do get gross, but they also have some (flushing) toilet trucks inside the venue. They're nice and clean early in the day.

digitalface
02-07-2008, 12:48 AM
new for 2008

* Larger spaces (8x8)
* Additional Registration areas
* More showers and toilets
* Camping Supply Store
* Will Call at Venue will be open 10am on Thursday!
+ other goodies

This is great, PF. I love that GV learns and adapts every year. One addition that would make a huge difference would be a larger central camp deep shaded area. The area last year was nifty, with seating, tv, cell phone charger & such-- but people were still scrambling to find space far enough out for the heat for the first 3-4 hours of the day, because personal tents and shade structures were completely useless by 10am. If we have a repeat heat performance this year, we could seriously use even deeper shade mid-campsite.

Thanks for listening!

rageurmom
02-10-2008, 02:12 AM
GUYS!

camping ROCKS! especially by your lonesome. trust me. why shouldn't you???

Wheres the beef?
02-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Also, more outlets, there were so many people charging their phones on Saturday night/Sunday.

ZackQ
02-10-2008, 06:29 PM
The only time I didn't like camping was the small window after my shower and before getting in line to go into the venue. Last year, I literally spent 30 minutes each morning sitting in a lawn chair cursing the campground and watching the Australian girl next to me lay in her sleeping bag and yell "it's bloody fucking hot out here."

Why she didn't get out of the sleeping bag, I have no idea. But camping kicks ass moneywise. Also, I'm usually a light sleeper, but after a day of catching shows in the dessert, I slept like a rock each night.

stewboss
02-10-2008, 09:23 PM
As an alternative, keep in mind that you can always camp offsite somewhere like Lake Cahuilla. All of the developed sites (power, water, RV ready) are long gone but the primitive area is probably still open for booking. It's less organized than the Coachella campgrounds and requires you to endure the traffic going to and coming from the show, but it's in general it's much less restrictive (e.g. alcohol policy) and cheaper than onsite camping.

itsamemario
02-11-2008, 12:46 PM
I'll do what i want!

somahead
02-12-2008, 12:22 PM
I am of translucent hue so camping has always been an afterthought of mine. However, I feel as though it is a social aspect of the festival that me and my girlfriend have always missed out on. After buying a hotel room for cheap back in October, I kept reading the camping experiences and decided to buy a campground pass for the both of us yesterday and keep the hotel as well. That way, my spoiled ass can wake up at 6am and immediately take off to the nearby hotel room if I so choose (or stay in a hotel room all night). On top of all the expenditures every year for Coachella, another $100 does not seem all that bad, especially when it could very well increase the enjoyment of Coachella as a whole.

BROKENDOLL
02-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Damn, we live within walking distance of the venue, but camping is sounding like fun!

BROKENDOLL
02-12-2008, 12:54 PM
I am of translucent hue so camping has always been an afterthought of mine. However, I feel as though it is a social aspect of the festival that me and my girlfriend have always missed out on. After buying a hotel room for cheap back in October, I kept reading the camping experiences and decided to buy a campground pass for the both of us yesterday and keep the hotel as well. That way, my spoiled ass can wake up at 6am and immediately take off to the nearby hotel room if I so choose (or stay in a hotel room all night). On top of all the expenditures every year for Coachella, another $100 does not seem all that bad, especially when it could very well increase the enjoyment of Coachella as a whole.
Of translucent hue? Hmm, sounds like you could go anywhere unnoticed to sleep after the festival.

dontfeedthebird
02-12-2008, 12:54 PM

i know we're supposed to hate the spoiled kids, but this sounds like a plan.

somahead
02-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Only a plan for this year. I don't want to be stuck in a situation where I am miserable for the whole weekend. I tried camping at Cahuilla in '02 and hated the whole experience. Although, the Coachella grounds offer so many more advantages that I am unable to hold off any longer. Next year will be one or the other.

Trick Loves The Kids
02-12-2008, 05:34 PM
shut up

and

CAMP

Trailmix
02-13-2008, 09:23 AM
shut up

and

CAMP

No!

everlay
02-13-2008, 09:50 AM
I love this camp humor.

thomas morejunk
02-13-2008, 08:55 PM
new for 2008

* Larger spaces (8x8)

This is good news. I couldn't seem to find a "comfortable" tent for 2 people that had a <= 7ft dimension.

greghead
02-22-2008, 09:37 PM

It will be fucking HOT. I would guess that by 9AM it's every bit of 85-90 degrees, and it keeps going up to about 100, +/- a few degrees

MissingPerson
02-22-2008, 09:41 PM

Actually, I suspect we were at the same festival. Gotta love that stinky Punchestown mud.

HEADSTRUCK
02-23-2008, 06:20 PM
I understand both camping and have there own perks. I had a condo last year with 5 other people and when we got to the condo friday at about 1pm we decided to have a drink or two. The people i was with ending no wanting to go to the ground till like 6pm( even with me bitching about it), when we got there we got directed into the what i am guessing is staff parking lot. They would not let us into the fest from there, we had to get back into the car (now the ex couple that broke up a week b4 are fighting) and get back in line. i didnt get into the show after nine. Not having control of what or where i was going last year made it not as great as i think this year will be. This year i am on my own and camping so i can enjoy my one vacation of the year to the fullest. I am sure i will meet some cool people in the campground to hang out with instead of listening to 2 people bitch at eachother the entire weekend.

Trick Loves The Kids
02-28-2008, 02:38 PM
shut the fuck up and camp you freaks

ryanomalis
02-29-2008, 01:22 AM
i've done pure camping, i've also done camping w/ hotel. i have to say i didn't like getting a hotel. getting there and back was always a problem for me. it cost me so much time that i really slept less, even though i slept more comfortably. i doubt i'll ever do it again. granted, my hotel was 40 minutes away. but it was still very expensive.

anyway, my problem is always that i refuse to sleep at night. i'm normally a night person and the night scene at coachella is just not something i want to miss. many of my favorite parts of past years were at 4am in the campgrounds. so by morning, when i can finally sleep, the sun's too hot.

my solution and now-routine for festivals is to stay up as late as i want, and when it's bedtime, hit the car, turn it on, cover the windows with shades, a little a/c, pillows, blankets for cushion, radio... it's fucking heaven. i say it beats a hotel room. but i guess that's pushing it for some.

anyway, then just sleep the morning away until the time you want to get up. go catch a shower to get the film off/refresh you, head into the fest and live it up until it's time to go back to happy car land.

a lot of people also don't realize that the showers aren't very busy in the mid-afternoon. the noon rush is already gone and the evening rush hasn't started. i always find it easy to take a shower then, but granted you miss some daytime bands.

so yeah, that's my suggestion. party til you're tired, then hit the car. don't forget the shades for all the windows. ;)

just thought i'd throw that out there.

as an afterthought, before i started doing the car thing, i agreed that the worst part was waking up in the blazing tent. so what i did instead was just leave my tent at home. i brought a canopy with 5 thick tarps and layered them on the top and eastern side. then i spread out my blankets/pillows etc on the grass and just slept there, outside. that way, in the morning those thick layered tarps will keep a _lot_ of the heat out, and the other sides are open so you get the breeze and i've been able to sleep until almost noon that way, which is inconcievable in even the lightest of tents. bugs aren't a problem, or never were for me, at coachella. i guess because of the nature of the field we're in, being man-made and maintained.

so i thought i'd throw that out too for people who don't like the car idea, but want to be able to sleep through the morning in comfort.

~r

ZonkerB
03-02-2008, 09:18 PM
It's my first Coachella and I want to experience the hell out of it! :dumbo Spending the weekend driving to-and-from sounds like more of a drag than taking a chance on setting up my tent and finding out who and what goes on after the bands go away ... meet some new peeps, test my heat tolerance and hopefully not miss a bit of the music that's calling me there in the first place.

Plenty of posts make camping sound do-able. Got my pass and nothing to do now but wait and find out what it all turns out like!

dontfeedthebird
03-02-2008, 10:46 PM
it's a wonder nobody's died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Marnie
03-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Sounds like a blast.I cant wait.I'm going to get there Thursday .Has anyone been there the night b4 the fest?

ryanomalis
03-05-2008, 01:07 AM
Plenty of posts make camping sound do-able. Got my pass and nothing to do now but wait and find out what it all turns out like!

good man!

ryanomalis
03-05-2008, 01:08 AM
Sounds like a blast.I cant wait.I'm going to get there Thursday .Has anyone been there the night b4 the fest?

i've been there. what do you want to know?

greghead
03-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Is it hot at 7AM? Yes, but damn it people, use your fucking heads! Instead of boiling in your tent and bitching about it, get out and lay down on the west-side of your tent, which remains shaded and cool until about 9:00 or 10:00.

Camping is fantastic, tons of great people, great music, and great drugs. Bring water, ice (put dry ice in the bottom of your cooler to keep the normal ice frozen), and shade, and you have no problems. The night before is a huge fucking party, don't miss it.

aquarius
03-12-2008, 11:03 AM
you lot should try Glastonbury - very funny to see your tent being washed away in tidal waves of mud, Class - am camping everytime i mean this is a festival!

Trick Loves The Kids
03-28-2008, 06:44 PM
It's my first Coachella and I want to experience the hell out of it! :dumbo Spending the weekend driving to-and-from sounds like more of a drag than taking a chance on setting up my tent and finding out who and what goes on after the bands go away ... meet some new peeps, test my heat tolerance and hopefully not miss a bit of the music that's calling me there in the first place.

THIS DUDE HAS THE RIGHT IDEA

SHUT UP AND CAMP

and don't bring a tent. seriously unless you need the privacy for whatever reason (and you probably don't) just get a canopy or a makeshift tarp thing. being in a tent is nice when the sun is completely down but as soon as the sun rises it turns into a sauna.