PDA

View Full Version : Coachella Family

Bluesky
11-28-2007, 03:06 AM
Is Coachella a suitable festival to drag kids along to?

fatbastard
11-28-2007, 05:02 AM
Absolutely. Seen numerous dads with their daughters and their daughters friends.

ivankay
11-28-2007, 06:01 AM
People bring their kids, but i don't think i have really ever seen the kids at night. i talked to a friend of mine about this and she said no way could her kids (7 under) make it through the whole day. Hopefully you would have a cool arrangement for wife/husband/baby mama/baby daddy to take kids back one day, you hang out...reverse the next. Now i made a bunch of assumptions about the age of your kids. If they were older, you could all either hang together or go your seperate ways, and all have a fantastic experience (assuming your kid can hang out without you.)

There are definitely long threads about this subject on this board from somewhere in the past. Search and ye will find.

captncrzy
11-28-2007, 06:23 AM
Yeah, it's been discussed before.

I personally WOULD NOT take a kid to Coachella. Too many drunks, ravers, cokeheads, Randys (no offense, Randy), people having sex in port-a-potties to expose my kid to. Plus, I always get so floored that people want their kids to be out in the sun all day where they can get burned and cranky. Doesn't sound like much fun to me.l

amyzzz
11-28-2007, 07:22 AM
Kids under age 5 are free.

psychic friend
11-28-2007, 08:24 AM
Did you look at the photo gallery to get an idea of the festival?

http://coachella.com/util/gallery_image.php?id=9344

http://coachella.com/util/gallery_image.php?id=9149

http://coachella.com/util/gallery_image.php?id=9343

Bluesky
11-28-2007, 08:33 AM
I don't actually have kids - I just wondered whether it's right to drag kids along to it.

Courtney
11-28-2007, 08:36 AM

Is that kid ok?

Also I have seen a few kids around the festival during the day. None at night. If they're babies or very young, you would need to be especially conscientious about basic stuff like protecting them from all the sun/heat/loud noise. And yeah, as Ivankay says, you need to be prepared to take them home early and miss some of the music yourself.

For older kids, I think it would be better. Especially if they will enjoy the bands playing. But again I guess attention span/fatigue might be a factor in some cases.

Also because this is in the camping/lodging forum, it should be mentioned that onsite camping is 18+.

ivankay
11-28-2007, 08:38 AM
That kid was ok. i took the picture and his Mom was thinking the picture was as funny as i did.

SFChrissy
11-28-2007, 08:59 AM
I would love to bring my kids and have my partner take them home at night so I can play but their dad is useless.

ivankay
11-28-2007, 09:15 AM
I would love to bring my kids and have my partner take them home at night so I can play but their dad is useless.

Then i think you would have to go with another family. If it was another family with the maternal and paternal partners involved, then you could make the arrangement for all 3 nights with one parent only having to go home early one night.

orbit
11-28-2007, 09:21 AM
There was a guy carrying a kid (around 7 years old?) on his shoulders minutes before Rage went on stage this year. They were between the middle and the front center. It was crazy, I think they left during the 2nd-3rd song.

SFChrissy
11-28-2007, 09:25 AM
Then i think you would have to go with another family. If it was another family with the maternal and paternal partners involved, then you could make the arrangement for all 3 nights with one parent only having to go home early one night.

Totally...but then again this is my vacation and a great mommy break for me!!!

RotationSlimWang
11-28-2007, 09:27 AM
I'd agree that kids in the day is probably fine--Randys don't really come out until night.

SFChrissy
11-28-2007, 09:31 AM
***THE FREAKS COME OUT AT NIGHT...THE FREAKS COME OOOUUUTTT AT NIGHTTT***

brando4n82
11-28-2007, 09:37 AM
I'd agree that kids in the day is probably fine--Randys don't really come out until night.

this made me chuckle

KilwaukeePutz
11-28-2007, 09:46 AM
i remember on the night manu chao played. was gettin cooled off in the kroq tent and i fell asleep on those bed things and this two parent brought there 2-3 year old in there. collest parents ever. if only that child knew what he got to be at haha. and for the record i really miss coachella

Courtney
11-28-2007, 10:18 AM

I would want to scheme a way to be parent #4 so I didn't have to miss any nights.

rage patton
11-28-2007, 10:30 AM
At Vegoose I met this guy who had his two kids with him... 4 and 6 I think. They were FRONT row for Cypress Hill. They were also pretty damn close for all of QOTSA too.
I think thats kinda weird/messed up though.

RedThom
11-28-2007, 10:54 AM
What cool parents, seriously my first shows were at the age of 12

drugks Gillespie
11-28-2007, 01:53 PM
I really don't think I would bring my kid to coachella if I had one.

suprefan
11-28-2007, 03:49 PM
Take them to Stagecoach.

dontfeedthebird
11-28-2007, 04:18 PM
What other threads can we start based on hypothetical ideas?

gaypalmsprings
11-28-2007, 04:26 PM
If Michael Jackson appears, stay close to your kids.

chiapet
11-28-2007, 10:49 PM
Nothing wrong with bringing kids to shows / festivals as long as you're attentive to them. I see it a lot up here, and the parents are great about it -- making sure kids are comfy, have sunscreen, wearing earplugs, etc.

There were definitely people with little kids even at Rage last year, just not right up front. The kids were totally fine. Most were sleeping. :D

Bluesky
11-30-2007, 07:22 AM

That's a thread in itself.

Boourns
11-30-2007, 08:14 AM
If I had kids, I would. Of course, arriving late is far preferable to leaving early. Miss the worst heat that way and wouldn't miss the headliners. Of course, that would be past any bedtime, but I guess one weekend a year wouldn't hurt...

COTTENmafia
11-30-2007, 02:32 PM
I wish my parents had taken me when I was a kid!! Unfortunately, I havent always hailed from Indio. But if I werent living in Orange County as a kid, I really think we would have gone. Seriously, Im thinking about taking my little brother if Ive got the money. Its not as crazy as people make it out to be, imo.

traviscanada
12-24-2007, 06:21 PM

That made my day.

blakely
12-24-2007, 07:01 PM

i didnt know they were selling dead babies at coachella last year.

Boourns
12-24-2007, 10:53 PM
Baby Barbecue?

kitt kat
12-24-2007, 11:12 PM
Awwww. Not that I ever want to have children, but if I did, they're be the coolest kidz ever, and I would bring them around.

But that lady with the stroller is all sorts of crazy. I was a nanny this usmmer and had to push two kids in a stroller like that in the hot sun---albeit, not as hot as the Palm Desert---and it was brutal. I could never manage a stroller anywhere with that many people.

like Disneyland....goddamn.

thelastgreatman
12-24-2007, 11:45 PM
Awwww. Not that I ever want to have children, but if I did, they're be the coolest kidz ever, and I would bring them around.

Why wouldn't you want to have children? I've heard a couple of reasonable justifications from some smart female friends of mine, but I still don't really get it. Mostly it seems selfish.

Deviate_420
12-25-2007, 08:31 AM
Why wouldn't you want to have children? I've heard a couple of reasonable justifications from some smart female friends of mine, but I still don't really get it. Mostly it seems selfish.

Randy, there should be legislation that bans you from having offspring.....

BROKENDOLL
12-25-2007, 11:48 AM
Isn't that called masturbation?

dontfeedthebird
12-25-2007, 11:54 AM
Mmm. Masturbation.

Botrocker
12-25-2007, 11:58 AM

Because kids fucking suck you moron. Alright let me just start off by saying you have no freedom once you have children. Bye bye coachella.

I don't want kids cause I value my freedom and income as well as my lack of responsibility, my alcoholism and my drug use.

kitt kat
12-25-2007, 10:39 PM

1. It would put a huge roadblock on my career ambitions. It's hard to be taken seriously as a non-romantic comedy female filmmaker if you've got a tub of offspring running behind you all the time. It puts yourself subconciously back in the stereotype that Hollywood loves to place on top of women---especially those working in the industry.

2. It's a responsibility I am emotionally never going to be prepared for, psychologically speaking.

3. I am too selfish. I am not afraid to admit it. I always place myself first, and the thought of setting aside my life for what is essentially a parasite disgusts me. Blech.

Yeahhh childrenzzz ain't my thing.

But, I always say, if I get tricked into having one, it HAS to be cool, or else I won't like it. Haha.

algunz
12-25-2007, 10:53 PM
We have a place in walking distance from the venue this year, and we were thinking of having Isabela (2.5 yrs.) join us for a couple of ours in the late afternoon - when it's cooler and before it gets dark, a perfectly beautiful time on the fields. My mom would bring her by and we'd meet at the exit/entrance, bring her in and then drop her off again with my mom later at the same place.

Is this doable? I know there are no ins and outs, but we wouldn't be leaving.

slurpee
12-26-2007, 10:27 AM
My best friend since kindergarten has been going to shows and festivals his entire life. His parents was/are old dead heads. His mom would go to concerts when she was pregnant with him and his sister.

Both kids turned out great and love going to shows. His mom took me to my first phish concert when I was 12. I owe them big time for teaching and opening me up to so much great music.

I will totally bring my kids to festivals when I have them. Parents bring kids camping all the time. Would you rather go camping with a bunch of other lame parents? Or go camping with cool festival goers from all over the world?

BROKENDOLL
12-26-2007, 11:23 AM
We have a place in walking distance from the venue this year, and we were thinking of having Isabela (2.5 yrs.) join us for a couple of ours in the late afternoon - when it's cooler and before it gets dark, a perfectly beautiful time on the fields. My mom would bring her by and we'd meet at the exit/entrance, bring her in and then drop her off again with my mom later at the same place.

Is this doable? I know there are no ins and outs, but we wouldn't be leaving.
I think it's a great idea and when darkness came I'm sure all the lights and nite activity would keep her amused.

slurpee
12-26-2007, 11:33 AM
I almost forgot.....Bonnaroo has a specific family camping area. Although this is different because Bonnaroo camping is part of the actual festival. The Coachella festival is only open from noon - midnight. Camping at Coachella is limited and not part of the actual festival.

http://www.bonnaroo.com/2007-campgrounds-and-camping-faq
Q: Will there be a quiet camping area for families and such?

* This year, in response to your requests, we will be providing a Family Camping Area on-site. We want Bonnaroo to be a place for people of all ages, and hope that providing a special area for parents and their small children will create a better festival experience for all. The family camping areas will feature some limited amenities for young children. There will be a sandbox, and a tent manned by KidzJam, which will offer some fun activities for kids.

Please note that the family camping area is reserved for families only (Families with children 16 and under). We ask that all campers in this area respect the family atmosphere by acting in a child friendly manner and by keeping noise levels to a minimum after dark. Access into the Family Camping area will not be controlled, but there will be security personnel located at at nearby POD 7 should you have any issues that require assistance.

The Family Camping area will be identified on the maps you will receive as you are processed through the tollbooths. You will also be given a family area marking on your vehicle to show parking staff and law enforcement. The best way to get to Family Camping is to enter the site from the west either at Exit 112 from I-24 or from Bushy Branch West. You may be directed by the police to Bushy Branch East. If that happens, get the family camping marking, and then you may be re-directed to Bushy Branch West depending on traffic conditions. There will be signs directing you to the Family Camping Area. Parking staff will also direct you to those areas.

Any vehicle who does not have a Family Camping marking will NOT be allowed to park or camp in the family camping area - Even if you are a relative! Also, please note that space in the Family Camping area is limited, and spaces will be filled on a first come, first served basis.

amyzzz
12-26-2007, 01:15 PM
That's pretty awesome of Bonnaroo.

Somewhat Damaged
12-26-2007, 01:28 PM
1. It would put a huge roadblock on my career ambitions. It's hard to be taken seriously as a non-romantic comedy female filmmaker if you've got a tub of offspring running behind you all the time. It puts yourself subconciously back in the stereotype that Hollywood loves to place on top of women---especially those working in the industry.

2. It's a responsibility I am emotionally never going to be prepared for, psychologically speaking.

3. I am too selfish. I am not afraid to admit it. I always place myself first, and the thought of setting aside my life for what is essentially a parasite disgusts me. Blech.

Yeahhh childrenzzz ain't my thing.

But, I always say, if I get tricked into having one, it HAS to be cool, or else I won't like it. Haha.

I agree completely with points 2 & 3. To ensure I don't have any accidents in the future, I'm going to start looking into getting a vasectomy once my health insurance kicks in. If I managed to get somebody pregnant right now, I'd do everything in my power to reason with her to get an abortion. "You don't want to spawn somebody who's going to have my genes. Would you really want to put yourself through that? You'll have to put up with me for the next 18 years, even if it's just minimally. If you want a kid so badly, you could do much better than having mine." And if that didn't work, I'd kick her down the stairs.

crazzz2007
12-26-2007, 02:43 PM

you think you're going to make it as a Hollywood filmmaker? so do millions of others. what's your backup plan?

amyzzz
12-26-2007, 03:21 PM
yikes.

dontfeedthebird
12-26-2007, 05:29 PM
I always thought having kids was selfish. (Too many mc's, not enough mics.)

thelastgreatman
12-26-2007, 05:46 PM

Another fine pillar of feminism. "I am too selfish." Gee, don't bother trying to actually change or grow as a person or anything, Kitt Kat, just resign yourself to being selfish at the ripe ol' age of 19 and proceed forward.

thelastgreatman
12-26-2007, 05:48 PM

Depends on the parents in question. But even in the extreme cases, I don't see how you can qualify taking on the responsibility of protecting and providing for another life as selfish. Sure, you end up with the crazy soccer moms and shit, vicariously living through their children and emotionally manipulative, but still.

algunz
12-26-2007, 10:39 PM
It's definitely selfish when the "parents" are thinking somehow it's going to save their relationship, or when the parent is just looking for a companion to meet their emotional void.

kitt kat
12-26-2007, 11:27 PM
you think you're going to make it as a Hollywood filmmaker? so do millions of others. what's your backup plan?

Whoa hey. Didn't ask your opinion.

And yes, I AM going to make it. I'm not going to the best film school in the world for no reason. I also wouldn't be there if I didn't have talent and I wouldn't still be here if I wasn't performing well.

Neutral Milk Hotel
12-27-2007, 02:18 AM
And yes, I AM going to make it. I'm not going to the best film school in the world for no reason. I also wouldn't be there if I didn't have talent and I wouldn't still be here if I wasn't performing well.

Maybe you could let us see some of your films. I mean, if you ARE going to make (after all you're going to the best film school in the world omgwtfbbq), your work must be GENIUS.

amyzzz
12-27-2007, 10:25 AM
Maybe having 12 kids is selfish, but I don't see anything wrong with literally replacing yourselves with the number of kids you have (I have two).

Botrocker
12-27-2007, 11:16 AM
I like the movie Baby Genius's but that doesn't mean I want to have kids.

captncrzy
12-27-2007, 11:39 AM
I like the movie Baby Genius's but that doesn't mean I want to have kids.

You should be castrated for liking that movie.

kitt kat
12-27-2007, 12:25 PM
Maybe you could let us see some of your films. I mean, if you ARE going to make (after all you're going to the best film school in the world omgwtfbbq), your work must be GENIUS.

I'm a screenwriting major. I never said I was genius, but I am insulted he questioned my ability to be successful within the film industry.

amyzzz
12-27-2007, 12:36 PM
You're always going to get insulted here. No biggie.

thelastgreatman
12-27-2007, 01:08 PM
Whoa hey. Didn't ask your opinion.

Going to USC film school doesn't mean you're going to make it. Even if you are actually talented, which is dubious (nothing personal, just that I haven't read a single truly good script in all my time out here, including when I was at USC), that still doesn't mean you're going to make it.

But if you want, send me something you wrote and I'll tell you what you're doing wrong and what (if anything) you're doing right.

BROKENDOLL
12-27-2007, 01:25 PM
Watch it! He probably has a casting couch he wants to show you next!

Neutral Milk Hotel
12-27-2007, 02:30 PM
I'm a screenwriting major. I never said I was genius, but I am insulted he questioned my ability to be successful within the film industry.

That's right, you're a screenwriting major (I also screenwrite). And I Know you never said you were a genius, but you're confidence, shall we say, that you will definitely make it no matter what is kind of arrogant and that's what I was addressing with my post.

And for the record, crazz absolutely did not insult you, or question your ability to be successful. Did you not read what he said? He said that millions of people want to be filmmakers. Millions of people are not filmmakers. It's not a diss, it's a reality; the film industry is hard to break into. There are probably plenty of potential Apichatpong Weerasethakuls or Paul Thomas Andersons who don't get a shot, and it has nothing to do with their lack of talent or drive.

crazzz2007
12-28-2007, 03:11 PM

hey, you questioned your own ability when you implied that you would have to sacrifice having children to even have a shot at a career.

jenja
01-02-2008, 09:55 PM
just a simple reply to the original post: :)
bringing kids to coachella would be a great experiance for not only the children, but for the parents as well. If music is as much a part of the parents lives as it is for most coachella goers than those kids are going to be syked about the stimulation that there minds will endure with even just a few hours at coachella. Depending on age, different prep will be needed, as well as thought into how long of a day the child can take, but I trust that a parent asking themselves if it would even be ok to bring the kids would have the state of mind to be fully prepared. :)
also, just a little side note... my parents took all of us to concerts / festivals when we were very young. We have pic's of mom pregnant at an eagles concert wearing a tee-shirt she bought that day, and us girls wear that shirt today! If music is a part of your life, music should be a part of your kids lives, and therefore, teach them to enjoy it to the fullest everyday!! :)

75 Miles
04-07-2008, 07:52 PM
just a simple reply to the original post: :)
bringing kids to coachella would be a great experiance for not only the children, but for the parents as well. If music is as much a part of the parents lives as it is for most coachella goers than those kids are going to be syked about the stimulation that there minds will endure with even just a few hours at coachella. Depending on age, different prep will be needed, as well as thought into how long of a day the child can take, but I trust that a parent asking themselves if it would even be ok to bring the kids would have the state of mind to be fully prepared. :)
also, just a little side note... my parents took all of us to concerts / festivals when we were very young. We have pic's of mom pregnant at an eagles concert wearing a tee-shirt she bought that day, and us girls wear that shirt today! If music is a part of your life, music should be a part of your kids lives, and therefore, teach them to enjoy it to the fullest everyday!! :)

Totally! Music is such a HUGE part of our daily home life. I was thrilled to be able to take my 7 (now 8) year old daughter last year and she was MORE than thrilled that I invited her to come. We arrived early in the day on Saturday, played it smart with shade and water when we needed to, and she lasted until almost the end of RHCP's set. (I have a 5-year old boy, too, but I know his attention span wouldn't last a day at Coachella. It just depends on the kid. Fortunately, hubby is willing to forgo the show to stay home with the boy!) My daughter thinks she is the coolest kid in school when she wears her Coachella shirts to class...