PDA

View Full Version : Best Portable GPS system? / aka also help PF choose one

algunz
11-27-2007, 08:54 PM
I want to get my husband a system for Christmas. I was hoping to get some insight as to which one would be the best.

ThomThom
11-27-2007, 08:57 PM
Get a TomTom, seriously.

Deviate_420
11-27-2007, 09:06 PM
I have Tom Tom and I love it....

mvanwinkle
11-27-2007, 09:18 PM
i have a garmin. i payed like 240 for it. it is really easy to use. it doesnt have bluetooth or mp3 player like others. but those things cost like 200 more bucks. thats what i would get if you want reasonable price and easy use.

goodgrl
11-27-2007, 09:29 PM
where in the world did you find a garmin that cheap?
we rented a garmin this summer- it was awesome!
I wanted to find a waffle house in WA. & I couldnt believe
how easy it was to use. I wanted to buy one when we got
back home but there was no way I could dish out 500 bucks
at the time.

GARMIN all the way.

Courtney
11-27-2007, 10:28 PM
I really wish I had a photo of gaypalmsprings to post here.

Sorry I don't have any actual insight or advice.

mvanwinkle
11-28-2007, 02:09 AM
where in the world did you find a garmin that cheap?
we rented a garmin this summer- it was awesome!
I wanted to find a waffle house in WA. & I couldnt believe
how easy it was to use. I wanted to buy one when we got
back home but there was no way I could dish out 500 bucks
at the time.

GARMIN all the way.

its the lower model garmin but like i said before its lower because its not mp3/bluetooth/photo/ect. it tells you when to turn and says the street names so thats all that really matters. and c. city

mozabilly54
11-28-2007, 12:32 PM
I have a Tom Tom and it's amazing.

Tylerdurden31
11-28-2007, 12:49 PM
gotta get a garmin

algunz
11-28-2007, 08:27 PM
So, I guess we've narrowed it down to a Garmin or a Tom Tom. Thanks a bunch. I knew you'd all be a fountain of information.

bmack86
11-28-2007, 08:31 PM
http://www.stanleylondon.com/compass.jpg

algunz
11-28-2007, 08:36 PM
Nice. I must say that is quite a beautiful golden compass.

marooko
11-29-2007, 07:09 AM
GPS is portable?

invisiblerobots
11-29-2007, 07:18 AM
I wanted to find a waffle house in WA.

Did you find this waffle house?

1litro
11-29-2007, 01:13 PM
I used my garman in the coachella parking (set a way point) on my car. and after the show, when all the poor soles with there car alarm key fobs out pushing the the panic button, I just "back tracked" to the car!

algunz
11-29-2007, 02:10 PM
Get a TomTom, seriously.

Which one? I was on-line today doing some research and there are quite a few. Obviously cost is a factor. He is a salesman, so he drives a lot. He just needs a basic one to go in his car that would help him get from A to B and also find a coffee shop in an unknown neighborhood with little hassle. Is the TomTom One a pretty safe bet?

gaypalmsprings
11-29-2007, 04:22 PM
I really wish I had a photo of gaypalmsprings to post here.

Sorry I don't have any actual insight or advice.

You're right. I'm portable.

wmgaretjax
11-29-2007, 04:58 PM
I want to get my husband a system for Christmas. I was hoping to get some insight as to which one would be the best.

you might wait until a Q1 release by Garmin next year... HINT.

algunz
11-29-2007, 08:39 PM
Why is it worth the wait?

goodgrl
11-30-2007, 09:06 PM
Did you find this waffle house?

I meant to say DC. Sorry had a fucktard moment.

instinct
11-30-2007, 09:44 PM
So, I guess we've narrowed it down to a Garmin or a Tom Tom. Thanks a bunch. I knew you'd all be a fountain of information.

Haha, those are the only two companies that i know makes them.

wmgaretjax
11-30-2007, 09:49 PM
Why is it worth the wait?

I can't say anything but... Garmin is a company, they make these GPS devices.

CES is a pretty cool convention for product announcements.

algunz
11-30-2007, 10:13 PM
Well, that's just silly. If I don't have any concrete incentive, I don't see the point in delaying a gift. Besides, Jim (my husband) won't know the difference, nor would he really care. I hope. He just wants a system in his car that works and can be transferred to another vehicle.

Thus, I think I'm gonna go with the TomTom One - unless anyone else has further advice. I'll probably get it next weekend, so I am still open to more opinions.

algunz
12-29-2007, 10:03 PM
It's a hit. Jim uses it to find the bathroom. Awesome.

Thank you for the good advice.

marooko
12-31-2007, 07:01 AM
GSP is totally the best. he's gonna dominate the 170lb. division for a long time i think.

JustSteve
12-31-2007, 07:47 AM
i purchased the garmin nuvi 260 for my girlfriend, she is a realtor here in newport and it has already come in handy. haven't gotten any phone calls asking me to go look up directions on google maps. the best feature is that it speaks the street names. it was $300, but i used a few giftcards to get the price down to $200 out of pocket.

psychic friend
12-11-2009, 11:30 AM
As in a Global Positioning System, not our lovely queen of photo posting. (love that one too). A GPS for my car.. the kind that you stick on the window.

I am just now reading about all the different features. Please advise if you have one and what you like about it, or don't like or wish you would have got or what it has that you dont use. Please note my car does not already have bluetooth or ipod adapter.

Things I "think" I might want?

multidestination route creation <-- this would be useful

iPod compatibility <-- wish but not required

text-to-speech functionality <-- is this necessary or is touch screen fine?
text- and voice-guided turn-by-turn directions

traffic capabilities <-- Tell me better routes in real time!!!

larger, 4.3-inch display <-- I want to be able to see it easy

Bluetooth hands-free calling / compatible with my verizon phone <-- wish but not required.

Google searches <-- does this cost money?

antitheft lock <-- ?? does that even work?

Ability to get directions that I like such as telling it to avoid certain ways or the freeway or that certain road, etc.

Find Alternative route button and/or
automatic recalculation

I am learning some features may require a paid service that you might get initially for free. Does anyone pay or would pay when their free ran out?

Thanks for your input peeps..
xxoo
PF

suprefan
12-11-2009, 11:43 AM
Check out TomTom? (had to with the name pun) www.tomtom.com looks to have lots of different types with functions you mentioned.

emtgreg
12-11-2009, 11:45 AM
I have a Magellan, and old one, and it has served me for a long, long time. Most of my friends have also purchased various Magellan branded GPS' and have had amazing luck with them.

Do you have AAA? If so, given my experience, I would probably suggest the Magellan Maestro 4700. I have been slightly looking and it seems to fit what I needed, which is alot of the stuff you mentioned plus It has connectivity with AAA (details I don't know offhand, maybe someone else here does).

http://www.amazon.com/Magellan-4-7-Inch-Widescreen-Bluetooth-Navigator/dp/B002DMK1R0

bobert
12-11-2009, 11:50 AM
I've got a TomTom and it has been great, much better than a lot of the other brands some of my friends have tried. It's a couple years old too, the new ones have some pretty crazy features and and are really slim/compact.

algunz
12-11-2009, 11:51 AM
Use the search button, you noob!!

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13027

:) I ended up getting the TomTom and it's been great.

psychic friend
12-11-2009, 12:00 PM
thanks algunz, im going to merge these two threads if you dont mind.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-11-2009, 12:01 PM
surely there have been many innovations since 2007 though

psychic friend
12-11-2009, 12:05 PM
As in a Global Positioning System, not our lovely queen of photo posting. (love that one too). A GPS for my car.. the kind that you stick on the window.

I am just now reading about all the different features. Please advise if you have one and what you like about it, or don't like or wish you would have got or what it has that you dont use. Please note my car does not already have bluetooth or ipod adapter.

Things I "think" I might want?

Bluetooth hands-free calling / compatible with my verizon phone <-- wish but not required.

Ability to get directions that I like such as telling it to avoid certain ways or the freeway or that certain road, etc.

automatic recalculation

I am learning some features may require a paid service that you might get initially for free. Does anyone pay or would pay when their free ran out?

Thanks for your input peeps..
xxoo
PF

reposted for clarity of what im looking for. a generic recommendation for "tom tom" isnt as helpful. there are tons of tom toms.

YES I HAVE AAA and checking out that magellen link thanks

algunz
12-11-2009, 12:07 PM
You didn't have to do that. I was just being a pain in the ass.

mountmccabe
12-11-2009, 12:11 PM
I have a Garmin Nuvi 205. I love it. I depend upon it for life.

It does this quite simply.

Mine does not. This may be an option for higher end Garmins.

Mine will say "Turn right in one hundred feet." The step up - Nuvi 255 - would say "Turn right at Sunset Boulevard in one hundred feet." Saying the street names is very nice if you are somewhere with heavy traffic.

I can get an add-on FM tuner to give me traffic information (if I wanted to subscribe.) Some higher end units have this built in. It will rate traffic for the route you have programmed.

It can calculate your route so that you arrive in the shortest time and, if a new traffic jam appears it will automatically recalculate for you. You also have an "Avoid Traffic Delays" button. You can also switch to a traffic map, showing conditions.

They make widescreen Garmins. I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Again, higher end Garmins will do this.

I dunno?

You can set a Garmin to require you to enter a pin when you turn it on. Someone can still steal it but they won't be able to use it or get any of your addresses.

I would love this. The Garmins do not have that fine of control right now. You can program in avoidances - toll roads, freeways, U turns - but nothing quite so useful as "avoid the 101."

automatic recalculation

The Garmins have these.

The "Detour" button is a little useless because it will generally just offer a quick jog out of the way and then put you right back on the road you wanted to get off.

And you will hear "Recalculating" - or whatever the word is in the language/accent you choose - a fair amount. It will automatically, and, usually, quickly, give you a new route if you turn off. Again it will tend to try and send you right back where it had in the first place, but, yeah.

mountmccabe
12-11-2009, 12:13 PM
I really haven't seen what Tom Toms or Magellans do. I forget why I picked a Garmin.

JorgeC
12-11-2009, 12:24 PM
what's wrong with Google maps on your iphone?

malcolmjamalawesome
12-11-2009, 12:32 PM
I have tomtom and it makes my day

psychic friend
12-11-2009, 01:51 PM
what's wrong with Google maps on your iphone?

I dont have an iphone nor would i want to be holding and starring at it while trying to drive.

JOHN thank you, your descriptions are what I need. I was exploring the Garmin nuvi 660. It sounded awesome until I go to "Traffic information is provided by Clear Channel's Total Traffic Network and can alert you to any upcoming congestion or road construction. With the purchase of the Garmin Nuvi 660, you get a complimentary three-month subscription to the service. After that, you'll have to pay $60 for three more months." that is a bit steep of a price. $20 a month.. sheesh.

I feel I am getting warmer though. to finding something i want.

mountmccabe
12-11-2009, 02:28 PM
I agree, that price has always seemed way high to me. I do not, however, spend much time in traffic. And when I do there isn't much a GPS could do about it. If my commute and/or driving habits were different I can see that $20 a month being reasonable.

mountmccabe
12-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Also, question for Tom Tom/Magellan users: how do you find the route selection? What options do you have to customize how it decides?

Second, more important question: What languages/accents are available? When I really need to understand what it says I will have her speak with a British accent but when i have a bit of a clue I like mixing it up. I think mine is set to Turkish right now?

Third question, for anybody: I will pay you cash money to write/record/issue a Sarcastic/Surly mod for a talking GPS. I read too much Douglas Adams and I want my GPS to get mad at me and/or depressed if I don't take the route it suggests.

psychic friend
12-11-2009, 03:27 PM
you can do mods to gps? I want that too then. the exact thing you suggested John.

Also another downer on the Garmin, my particular phone is not on the list of compatible blue tooth thingys. Which I dont get because i have a bluetooth ear thing that works fine with my phone so it should have the technology. GRRRRR

I was looking at the megellan meistro 4700 and # Media player: No # Integrated FM transmitter: No. Real time traffic: no not for me.

I will be looking at tom toms next.

gaypalmsprings
12-11-2009, 04:01 PM
I'm the best GPS.

psychic friend
12-11-2009, 08:58 PM
ok so I was checking out the tomtom 740 Go LIve.

Has a ton of cool features.. does not go with my phone. I have officially given up on that feature.

the 740 seems otherwise pretty darn all inclusive yet I have searched and searched and can not find out how much their "live service" costs. I can only assume its high or else I could find mention of it somewhere. $5 a month? $10? $20? how the fuck much is it?

GO 740 Live Features:

* GPS Vehicle Navigation System
* 4.3" Wide Anti-glare Touchscreen
* Bluetooth Enabled but not for DANI'S PHONE
* RDS-TMC Traffic Ready
* IQ Routes Technology
* Spoken Street Names
* Turn-by-Turn Voice & Visual Guidance
* Advanced Lane Guidance
* Voice Recognition
* LIVE Services
-Local Search Powered by Google
* Preloaded maps of US & Canada
* Millions of Points of Interest
* POI Icons
* TomTom Map Share
* Automatic Rerouting
* Fast route (re-)calculation
* "Help Me!" Emergency Menu
* Speed Alerts
* iPod Compatible
* FM Transmitter
* Multi-lingual
* Rechargeable Li-ion Battery

* Access to TomTom online services
Real-time weather reports : Get a real-time overview of the weather before setting off, including 5-day forecasts for all the places you're going to be.
TomTom Buddies : Keep track of friends who also have a TomTom GO. Send instant messages, share locations and more.
Voices : download funny and famous voices for a bit of variety and fun on the road.
POI's: Thousands more POI's to download.
And much, much more. FOR HOW MUCH? SECRET

mountmccabe
12-11-2009, 09:16 PM
you can do mods to gps? I want that too then. the exact thing you suggested John.

I am pretty sure that what I was asking for is not, at this time, possible. But at some point we will be able to have a GPS with a Genuine People Personality.

Once these things are open source someone will make one.

psychic friend
12-11-2009, 10:49 PM
i found the price. $10 a month.

i will be going with the tomtom 740 (xmas gift from vinylmartyr hopefully)

i may or may not bet paying for the extra stuff, but its free the first month or so to test out, i will report back here.

for those of you who dont know me irl.. (aka most of you).. one of my many weirdness annoying things is I freak out driving to places I have never been and I also tend to freak out with traffic "for no reason" (aka, no accident.. no left turn light where there clearly should be one, spectator slow down, living in LA). I get lost in area's I frequent when streets turn from EW to NS , i get "turned around" in my head. (i do better in square grids) so I think this GPS could be like my new BFF. fingers crossed.

boarderwoozel3
12-11-2009, 10:50 PM
Hi PF, *waves*

Monklish
12-11-2009, 10:55 PM
You really should make a left at the TomTom. No, wait, a U-turn. Shit, I think we passed it. Get on the freeway. NO NOT HERE!

boarderwoozel3
12-11-2009, 10:59 PM
... fail?

gaypalmsprings
12-12-2009, 06:24 AM
Men don't need GPS systems. We inherently know directions without seeking help.

gaypalmsprings
12-12-2009, 06:27 AM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/funny-pictures-cats-cannot-be-gps-receivers.jpg

disgustipated
12-12-2009, 06:53 AM
I like the different downloadable voice overs that TomTom has. Snoop dog tells me where to turn next.

justinaqui
12-12-2009, 07:34 AM
I don't really need a GPS system, but the features that you listed of that 740 sound awesome. When I was looking up how much it was, I noticed that it's currently a hot deal on Amazon for $287.

psychic friend
12-12-2009, 04:34 PM
right. I dont think I would get it at it's orig. price. I will report back after I have been using it a while in case anyone is interested. Algunz if you are reading this how did your gift for hubby work out? did he like it? any comments?

Suffacated
12-13-2009, 12:21 PM
I run a Tom Tom in my work truck. So far its been OK but if I don't pay attention it could and has routed me to places that would be easy to maneuver in a car but disastrous in an 18 wheeler. One thing I recommend is that you update your Tom Tom at least once a week. This is to update the units ability to quickly find the satellites needed to navigate. If not, while looking at the screen you will find yourself driving off route. Scan times will also be slow. Out of the box, it was about 2 weeks before an update was needed.

JustSteve
03-26-2010, 12:28 PM
"i pity the fool who doesn't turn left at the next intersection"

menikmati
03-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Did Dennis Hopper ever die, or were those reports of him being gravely ill just bullshit (as I was expecting)?

TommyboyUNM
03-26-2010, 12:32 PM
I would encourage you to choose Burt Reynolds if it was Norm MacDonald doing an impression of Burt Reynolds.

As it stands, you're in asshole if you don't choose Mr. T.

BlackSwan
03-26-2010, 12:36 PM
So I just bought a TomTom cause my job requires lots of driving and there's no equivalent to Thomas Guide for Jersey.

Did Pizza Hut at least pay for part of it?

Blinken
03-26-2010, 12:43 PM
Pizza Hut does deliver.

mountmccabe
03-26-2010, 01:02 PM
I am ready to sell my GPS. I doubt I will ever use my standalone GPS now that my phone has one. It reads street names and finds things on the internet, too.

It does not (yet) talk like Mr T, though.

leo01g
03-26-2010, 01:05 PM
Google Maps is all you people need