PDA

View Full Version : Should I move to Honolulu?

garrett222
11-27-2007, 07:26 PM
My company would like me to transfer to Honolulu for 2 years for a temporary assignment.

Should i take it? Please list pros and cons. And, this will not stop me from attending Coachella '08

gaypalmsprings
11-27-2007, 07:38 PM
http://www.anselmart.com/student_gallery/cg_student_work/fall_2004/project_1/rogers/image/leave.jpg

http://allthingschill.com/img/COME_BACK_AND_VISIT.jpg

Courtney
11-27-2007, 07:40 PM
PRO: you'll get to explore new places and try new things, beautiful weather, beaches, nice/friendly people, clean air

CON: hassle of moving, inflated cost of living, isolated, lack of live music, you'll be far away from friends/family

shakermaker113
11-27-2007, 07:46 PM
go for it. especially if it's not permanent.

Cpt. Funkaho
11-27-2007, 07:56 PM
DOOO IT

It's actually a little liberating living thousands of miles from the Lower 48. Once you get over the fact that there are never any good shows, ever. That said, it's almost certainly better in Hawaii than here, concert-wise. Not to mention the weather.

idrive1life
11-27-2007, 08:00 PM
PRO: you'll get to explore new places and try new things, beautiful weather, beaches, nice/friendly people, clean air

CON: hassle of moving, inflated cost of living, isolated, lack of live music, you'll be far away from friends/family

Yeah, listen to her.

Honolulu is awesome. It looks like a paradise to me (even McDonalds is heavenly cool there. I would only eat at McDonald's again if I come back to Hawaii lol naaaah, I'm serious).

GO!

Wheres the beef?
11-27-2007, 08:08 PM
Pro: Hawaii
Con: None.

full on idle
11-27-2007, 08:10 PM
Seriously, what are the cons here? It's really really expensive to move to/live in Hawaii, isn't it? If you have an opportunity that they'd pay for the move I'd say do it! How old are you? Where do you live now? What is the job?

thinnerair
11-27-2007, 08:13 PM
i have a friend who moved out there and landed a teaching job within a few weeks of being out there. She's been absolutely loving it and the few times she has come back to visit, she has had nothing but great things to say about it. She also came back with a new outlook on life and discovered a ton of new things she probably would've never been exposed to here in New York. It's been a few years already and I think she is starting to get the bug to come back to NY though...more so because I think she misses her family. I dont think it hurts that she landed an incredible 2 bedroom apartment a block from the beach that was subletted for very cheap.

kitt kat
11-27-2007, 08:26 PM
If you love high gas and utility prices and angry white-hating Hawaiians, go for it.

captncrzy
11-27-2007, 08:38 PM
If they're willing to give you a salary differential to offset the higher cost of living, you'd be crazy to not go. Not many people get the opportunity to live in Hawaii, even if it is temporary.

Seriously, beautiful weather, clear serene water, clean beaches, friendly people, clear sweet smelling air, fresh pineapples....I'd do it in a nano second.

ThomThom
11-27-2007, 09:11 PM
It depends on what kind of a person you are. I could never live there because of the following reasons...

1) I am not much of an island person from the weather to the people.
2) There is absolutely nothing to do, which I don't mind while on VACATION.
3) If you thought gas and utility costs were high in California, brace yourself.
4) I would be too close to my grilfriend's family. (see island people on #1)

bmack86
11-27-2007, 09:15 PM

That sounds like Bishop, where I grew up. In the middle of the mountains, and a tourist town to boot, so it's extremely expensive. When we go to Hawaii, the groceries are cheaper than at home. It's a marvel.

goodgrl
11-27-2007, 09:25 PM
Will work pay for your moving expenses?
whats the wifey say?
is that whats holding you back? would you be able to come back to your current position if you absolutely hated it?

Wheres the beef?
11-27-2007, 09:34 PM
Also, you can't forget the tourist pussy. There will be tons of that.

ThomThom
11-27-2007, 09:37 PM
Also, you can't forget the tourist pussy. There will be tons of that.

Yes Hawaii is like Vegas in that sense. ALOT of tourist pussy.

roberto73
11-27-2007, 10:16 PM
Just beware of temporary moves that become permanent. When I moved to California from Ohio, I was only going to stay here for a year. That was in 1995.

bigc1
11-27-2007, 10:29 PM
i have family over there that complain about the traffic... but that's usually all. one of my friends was forced to move back to the mainland due to the cost of living, so if you have a good paying job then it should be ok.

anti-square
11-27-2007, 10:32 PM
I lived on the island of Oahu for 4 years and I would recommend it if you are willing to change your current lifestyle. You will have to learn to love the island life. Meaning, love beaches, snorkeling, fishing, and surfing. Take advantage of all that Hawaii has to offer while you are there. Otherwise, you will get homesick and dread your time there. The locals are cool, as long as you don't act like a fish out of water. Recognize that it is their island and you are just visiting.

anti-square
11-27-2007, 10:36 PM
i have family over there that complain about the traffic... but that's usually all. one of my friends was forced to move back to the mainland due to the cost of living, so if you have a good paying job then it should be ok.

That's true. Get used to driving about 20 mph slower on the freeways than out here. Plus, for some reason there is an abundance of shitty drivers out there.

Mr.Nipples
11-27-2007, 10:37 PM
i heard the meth is top shelf over there...

Courtney
11-27-2007, 11:16 PM

That's true about the traffic. If you move here, for god's sake don't live west of town. And for that matter, if you can afford it, don't live east of town either -- just live in town itself.

Courtney
11-27-2007, 11:18 PM
i heard the meth is top shelf over there...

I can't speak to the quality, but there's definitely a higher visibility level than on the mainland.

Courtney
11-27-2007, 11:18 PM
angry white-hating Hawaiians

No.

Courtney
11-27-2007, 11:19 PM
That's true. Get used to driving about 20 mph slower on the freeways than out here.

It's ok. You're on island time. There's no rush. You're not going very far.

Also bonus: you won't get a heart attack at age 35.

anti-square
11-27-2007, 11:30 PM
That's funny. I think I spent the first six months there reprogramming my road rage. It took me a while before I learned to say fuck it, and cruise.

Courtney
11-27-2007, 11:35 PM
I <3 Honolulu drivers. They always let you in if you're trying to merge, they eat saimin with chopsticks while driving, and will pull over and ask if you need help putting on your spare tire. And no one ever honks. I even caught myself giving someone a shaka the other day for letting me change lanes in front of them.

kitt kat
11-27-2007, 11:56 PM
No.

maybe not so much honolulu/oahu

but i have a timeshare on kauai, and i've gotten yelled at for being a dirty haole and that i should go home :(

anti-square
11-27-2007, 11:58 PM
Quit being dirty then.

Sorry I had to.

kitt kat
11-27-2007, 11:58 PM
HAH.

anti-square
11-28-2007, 12:00 AM
Seriously though, assholes come from all walks of life. I met my fair share of locals that were pricks just because I wasn't from there. For the most part though, they are good peeps in Hawaii.

tessalasset
11-28-2007, 12:52 AM
I <3 Honolulu drivers. They always let you in if you're trying to merge, they eat saimin with chopsticks while driving, and will pull over and ask if you need help putting on your spare tire. And no one ever honks. I even caught myself giving someone a shaka the other day for letting me change lanes in front of them.i've only spent about 9 days total in oahu, but i seriously LOVE driving there. it slowed me down immediately and chilled me out. when i got back home to la, i found myself driving the speed limit, and i brought my max volume on my stereo from 20 to 15. now i cant believe i used to listen to it at 20. but i think if i lived there i'd just stalk matthew fox every day.

fatbastard
11-28-2007, 12:56 AM
3AHMZ5cZ7eU

Courtney
11-28-2007, 09:19 AM
but i think if i lived there i'd just stalk matthew fox every day.

Ohh that is another pro for the OP to consider. Although sadly, so far the only filming I have seen is for Japanese hair commercials. But I'm working on it!

J~$$$
11-28-2007, 09:31 AM
good weed. good vibes. great weather. top 5 surfing destinations. go.

The only thing that drove me crazy was realizing that you are on an island and flying standby home to the mainland is the worst idea ever. There is a homeless beach where families go while waiting their turn for an open seat.

SFChrissy
11-28-2007, 09:49 AM
go if your company will pay for the moving expense there and back. It's beautiful there and there's the island ferry that you can take to other islands.

If you are white...plan to be surrounded by Japanese and to get heckled by the local mokes. Cost of living is gnarly with $5-7 for a gallon of milk and gas is easily $4/gal.

But it's one of the most beautiful places in the world...Go dude!!!

canexplain
11-28-2007, 09:57 AM
ya, i think it all comes down to money ... i lived there for two years on a dime, but i can be pretty laid back, esp back then ..... and if you dont like the outdoors, then Ha is a waste of time for most peeps ... its always good for new adventures, upside, but again, money is always an issue .... if you are coming from NYC or the bay area, you will say "what" but anywhere else and you might get sticker shock ... and dont plan on buying a house or condo, even for the short time ... canx**

canexplain
11-28-2007, 09:59 AM
Oh and if you are a surfer, then it is a no brainer .. if not the very best, top notch surfing all over the islands . Go to the north shore and wet your wiskers lol .. I was a dj at a radio station and make jack, but during the day, I would head to the beach, and then I knew why I lived there . Canx**

SFChrissy
11-28-2007, 10:04 AM
ya, i think it all comes down to money ... i lived there for two years on a dime, but i can be pretty laid back, esp back then ..... and if you dont like the outdoors, then Ha is a waste of time for most peeps ... its always good for new adventures, upside, but again, money is always an issue .... if you are coming from NYC or the bay area, you will say "what" but anywhere else and you might get sticker shock ... and dont plan on buying a house or condo, even for the short time ... canx**

Well said...the cost of living is about the same as it is here but the income is definately 1/2 of what we make here.

Courtney
11-28-2007, 11:15 AM
Cost of living is gnarly with $5-7 for a gallon of milk and gas is easily $4/gal.

I guess it depends where you're shopping, but at the fairly nice supermarkets in good neighborhoods in Honolulu, my milk costs around $3.99-$4.70 per gallon. Gas is more like $3.30-$3.80 per gallon.

mountmccabe
11-28-2007, 11:16 AM
What is the exchange rate for the Hawaiian Dollar to the US Dollar?

Courtney
11-28-2007, 11:21 AM
Duh we don't have a currency here. We just trade in pineapples as our unit of exchange.

mountmccabe
11-28-2007, 11:31 AM
Mmm, fried units of exchange

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i269/mountmccabe/Avatars/46e42ffb.jpg

Courtney
11-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Fried pineapple? That's almost as disturbing as ham and pineapple on pizza.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-28-2007, 03:19 PM
Honolulu is always ranked as the most livable city in the US. I would do it as long as I was paid accordingly. It does suck not have a live music scene..but hell just do it....

gaypalmsprings
11-28-2007, 04:16 PM
How much does a lei cost in Hawaii?

ThomThom
11-28-2007, 04:40 PM

I always get them for free from the airport when I arrive.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-28-2007, 04:42 PM
I guess it depends where you're shopping, but at the fairly nice supermarkets in good neighborhoods in Honolulu, my milk costs around $3.99-$4.70 per gallon. Gas is more like $3.30-$3.80 per gallon.

Do you need a car to get around Honolulu? Or do they have good public transport...

Courtney
11-28-2007, 04:43 PM

Depends what kind.

I always get them for free from the airport when I arrive.

Clearly I am doing something wrong, because I have never heard of or experienced free leis being given out by the Honolulu airport. Usually it's either travel companies or hotels or tour groups or something giving them to their customers.

ThomThom
11-28-2007, 04:44 PM
Depends what kind.

Clearly I am doing something wrong, because I have never heard of or experienced free leis being given out by the Honolulu airport. Usually it's either travel companies or hotels or tour groups or something giving them to their customers.

My bad, it is probably the airline employees.

Courtney
11-28-2007, 04:48 PM
Do you need a car to get around Honolulu? Or do they have good public transport...

We have crap public transport. There's a bus system, but no subway or train or anything. You can use it to get the basic places, but if you want to go anywhere off the beaten path ever, you really need a car/moped/something. Google Maps has the Honolulu bus system, so you can enter in a few sample trips and click the "take public transportation" option to see for yourself.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-28-2007, 04:50 PM
how about by bike?

Courtney
11-28-2007, 04:51 PM
A bike would be fine for in town, but I wouldn't try using it to get from Waikiki to the North Shore or anything outside of Honolulu.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-28-2007, 04:59 PM
A bike would be fine for in town, but I wouldn't try using it to get from Waikiki to the North Shore or anything outside of Honolulu.

I did hear that they are planning a light rail system for the near future...hopefully it works out....I would love to visit Honolulu...since you can find all sorts of asian cultures there...

tessalasset
11-28-2007, 07:31 PM
you can take the bus for like $2 around the entire circumference of the island.

garrett222
11-28-2007, 07:50 PM
Ok, they do pay all costs of moving, and they give you a 50% increase in pay (cost of living adjustment). I don't surf, but i like the beach and snorkeling etc..

I'm pumped they have a 24 hr fitness, and two chilis restaurants. Those are big pluses for me since i'm in nowhere right now with nothing like that.. I just have a Big Kmart right now.

It looks like i'm probably going..those who live in honalulu, what will i pay for rent of a 2 bdr apartment in a nice area? Is it less on Waikikki than Ewa Beach or Pearl City?

gaypalmsprings
11-28-2007, 07:55 PM
will they pay for you to attend Coachella?

garrett222
11-28-2007, 08:02 PM
i get one free flight to the states each year..so of course i'll use the free flight to get to coachella..but that's it.

garrett222
11-28-2007, 09:40 PM
Courtney from Honolulu...Where should i live? I want a 2 bedroom apartment that allows a cat, has air conditioning, washer/dryer connections, and something that isn't infested with bugs..Are bugs a real big issue?

If you know a real reputable complex that ranges from 1000-2000/month rents, let me know!

captncrzy
11-29-2007, 07:28 AM
I don't live there, but I would say to try to avoid living in Waikiki. To crowded, tourists, etc.

tessalasset
11-29-2007, 08:56 AM
Try to move to Kailua.

Courtney
11-29-2007, 09:13 AM
Courtney from Honolulu...Where should i live?

Where would you be working? That's a pretty important factor in determining where you live.

Bugs aren't a big issue. We do have centipedes that bite sometimes, but depending on where you live there are people who will come spray around the perimeter of the property which pretty much works to keep things away. I'd say mostly I just see the occasional tiny gecko who manages to sneak into the house.

canexplain
11-29-2007, 09:16 AM
Where would you be working? That's a pretty important factor in determining where you live.

Bugs aren't a big issue. We do have centipedes that bite sometimes, but depending on where you live there are people who will come spray around the perimeter of the property which pretty much works to keep things away. I'd say mostly I just see the occasional tiny gecko who manages to sneak into the house.

i have always heard this, but i have no real proof .... hawaii is the only state in the US that does not have any snakes (well cept the human ones of course) ... canx**

J~$$$
11-29-2007, 09:21 AM
do they still have the frog problem?

Courtney
11-29-2007, 09:23 AM
The super loud non-native coqui frogs? Yeah, they're still around although if you hear them you're supposed to call the authorities so they can come remove them which seems crazy to me. I haven't heard any in my neighborhood.

J~$$$
11-29-2007, 09:29 AM
I hear fire ants are the next big invasion.

Courtney
11-29-2007, 09:36 AM
Yup. The Department of Agriculture works hard to make sure that sort of thing doesn't happen, but it seems sort of inevitable to me.

They just quarantined a huge shipment of Christmas trees because there was some invasive species of wasp hiding in them. Guess some people will be getting fake trees this year.

canexplain
11-29-2007, 09:49 AM
I know one past good thought about Hawaii (well there are many) … when we used to go from Japan to Hawaii on vacation, you could actually get real cow’s milk … in japan at that time, we could only get canned milk or coconut milk ….. yuck …. Canx**

mimi3000
11-29-2007, 09:59 AM
The super loud non-native coqui frogs? Yeah, they're still around although if you hear them you're supposed to call the authorities so they can come remove them which seems crazy to me. I haven't heard any in my neighborhood.

They are all over the BIG ISLAND, I don't think they are on Oahu yet.

TomAz
11-29-2007, 10:01 AM
BIG ISLAND must always be in all caps.

mimi3000
11-29-2007, 10:15 AM
Courtney from Honolulu...Where should i live? I want a 2 bedroom apartment that allows a cat, has air conditioning, washer/dryer connections, and something that isn't infested with bugs..Are bugs a real big issue?

If you know a real reputable complex that ranges from 1000-2000/month rents, let me know!

As Courtney said it depends where you work... traffic gets pretty bad here. People are terrible drivers. Everyone drives so slow.

Courtney
11-29-2007, 10:54 AM
They are all over the BIG ISLAND, I don't think they are on Oahu yet.

Oh that would make sense. I definitely heard a lot of them on the Big Island last time I visited. They are loud!

garrett222
01-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Ok, i'm here! I was very suprised that there are no apartment complexes like in the states, everything is privately owned condos. That was weird, but craigslist was a perfect solution to find a place. $1400 rents a roach motel apartment. $1650 gets you your average mainlaind apartment.

So far so good. The weather is perfect, and the people all seem nice. I'm looking forward to the pro bowl, but sad that radiohead isn't playing Honolulu. Upcoming shows are incubus, the police, and motion city soundtrack. Not the end of the world.

There are tons of jamba juice and chilis. That's good.

Courtney
01-09-2008, 08:55 PM
Welcome! What neighborhood did you end up moving to?

full on idle
01-09-2008, 09:00 PM
I got attacked by fire ants near Atlanta Georgia, once, on acid. It was less funny the day after.

I want to go to Hawaii.

garrett222
01-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Mililani Mauka. U?

Courtney
01-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Cool. My old marathon training group used to do a lot of runs out in Mililani. I heard they have been doing some more filming for Lost at the lychee farm there too?

I'm in Manoa Valley.

BROKENDOLL
01-09-2008, 11:50 PM
Ok, i'm here! I was very suprised that there are no apartment complexes like in the states, everything is privately owned condos. That was weird, but craigslist was a perfect solution to find a place. $1400 rents a roach motel apartment. $1650 gets you your average mainlaind apartment.

So far so good. The weather is perfect, and the people all seem nice. I'm looking forward to the pro bowl, but sad that radiohead isn't playing Honolulu. Upcoming shows are incubus, the police, and motion city soundtrack. Not the end of the world.

There are tons of jamba juice and chilis. That's good.
ALOHA! I am soooo envious of you right now! I went to the BIG ISLAND almost 4 years ago and still haven't gotten over that place! An old friend took me as a guest during his 4 day convention there at a 5 star resort and when he decided to get back to the mainland a day early, I decided to give him a ride to the airport and stayed by myself for another 10 days! Found a reasonable little hotel in Kona, cruised the whole island, met locals, and found what I considered my "peace of mind" place in life. Good move, my friend!

John Peel is My Co-pilot
01-10-2008, 12:51 AM
i have always heard this, but i have no real proof .... hawaii is the only state in the US that does not have any snakes (well cept the human ones of course) ... canx**

No snakes in Alaska, Ron.

Oh, and BTW, your comment about being laid back earlier on in the thread is an early contender for the Captain Obvious Awards 2008.

:thu

Stay loose, bro!

anti-square
01-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Mililani Mauka. U?

That's where I used to live. I believe the complex was called Ridge at Launai. Might have misspelled that. It's funny how similar apartments like the one I used to live in are selling for around the same price that I sold mine back in 2005.

goodgrl
01-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Congrats garrette222! Hope everything works out.
Have you met the people you are working with yet?

garrett222
01-10-2008, 11:43 PM
goodgrl, are you in Hawaii as well? I've met my co-workers and they're OK fellas. We're planning on the pro bowl already, so that's cool.

Any recommendation on the perfect beach that is easy getting a parking spot and has a great setting for just relaxing and studying or whatnot. Waikiki was nice, but parking seems to be a possible issue...The beaches on the east coast above waikiki were very rocky and more geared toward fishers and campers...North shore had poor parking availability..

I'm hoping that Ewa Beach is the ticket...?

xxxxxxxxxx
01-11-2008, 02:42 AM
I went to Maui a few weeks ago and I really didnt want to come back. Going back again in a few months but thinking about staying like a year this time.

Courtney
01-11-2008, 10:01 AM
Any recommendation on the perfect beach that is easy getting a parking spot and has a great setting for just relaxing and studying or whatnot.

I would tell you, but then I would have to kill you.

Lanikai is nice. Also Kailua and Bellows. And Sandy Beach although you can't always swim there unless you're a REALLY strong swimmer because it's dangerous.

canexplain
01-11-2008, 10:45 AM
garetttttttt22222222222, glad you made it and i hope all is working out fine for you .... courtney, how much is gas these days ? canx**

anti-square
01-11-2008, 10:53 AM
Keep driving past Waimea Bay and you should eventually find something not to crowded. Just stay away from pipeline.

anti-square
01-11-2008, 10:54 AM
Haleiwa is also a great secluded beach.

goodgrl
01-11-2008, 09:23 PM
goodgrl, are you in Hawaii as well? I've met my co-workers and they're OK fellas. We're planning on the pro bowl already, so that's cool.

Nope. I am in Chicago. I find it fascinating that some people can just get up and move away from home. I dont know if I can to that. Wow, meeting new people & discovering new places. I really admire that. Good luck!

garrett222
01-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Well, work helps me in that respect...they say - 'hey garrett, we've got a great opportunity for you...we're moving you to hawaii'...and that's that. Usually it ends up being crap towns like Ukiah CA, Barstow, CA and such. Yuma was fun. Nick Papageorgio from Yuma Arizona i kept thinking the whole time i was there.

IRSCOTT
02-01-2010, 03:32 PM
my mom moved out to maui when I was 17. I thought about going too, I decided that it was a cool place to go vist but I wouldn't want to like there. Nothing to do I ended up getting bored on vaction, however I'm no surfer and the ocean like anything more powerful than myself scares me a little bit. but thats maui it's kinda more touristy

nolanisbomb
02-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Mililani Mauka. U?
Reprazent!!!!