PDA

View Full Version : Pick My Console

Neutral Milk Hotel
11-26-2007, 11:14 AM
For Christmas I'm thinking of getting a next-gen video game console. However, I'm not sure which one to get. There are pros and cons for all of them:

XBox 360: My whole interest in getting back into videogames began with thinking Bioshock looks amazing. However, I'm not sure how many other XBox games I would be interested in playing beyond that. And, I could always clear out my computer to make room for the PC version, although it would be inferior.

Wii: I played this a few days ago at my friend's house and it's a hell of a lot of fun. Plus, most of my friends are Nintendo people, so the Wii would be the best console as far as hanging out with my friends goes. However, playing a shitload of Wii sports probably won't be as rewarding as playing Bioshock.

PlayStation 3: I'm a film major at college, so obviously the combination of a blu-ray DVD player and a gaming console is enticing. In addition to that I have a Playstation and Playstation 2, and am more familiar with this line of consoles than any other (Nintendo being a close second). However, none of the games on the PS3 entice me as much as Bioshock, and there would be no Mario games either.

So there are compelling reasons to buy all of these consoles, as such I decided to make a poll.

J~$$$
11-26-2007, 11:15 AM
Kucinich 08.

Wheres the beef?
11-26-2007, 11:17 AM
J-$$$ 4 Coachella '08

luckyface
11-26-2007, 11:26 AM
Personally, I think you should go with Xbox. I loved the Wii when I first got it, but it has been collecting dust over the last few months. Xbox has the best online setup and the best selection of games. You will get all of the major multi-platform releases and you will get the top-notch Xbox only games like Halo.

BlueRay player prices are dropping like anvils anyway. Pretty soon they will be more affordable. Maybe by that time the whole "BR vs HDD" will be sorted out.

J~$$$
11-26-2007, 11:28 AM
nofriendo.

PassiveTheory
11-26-2007, 11:53 AM
Wii, with Super Mario Galaxy out now, and games like LoZ: Twilight Princess, Super Mario Strikers Charged (yes it actually IS a fun game to play), Super Paper Mario, Wii Sports, and (the best game EVER) Smash Brothers Brawl coming out in a few months, it's a no contest.

mvanwinkle
11-26-2007, 12:29 PM
gears of war-xbox 360. end thread.

Mr.Nipples
11-26-2007, 12:46 PM
sega dreamcast...

Alchemy
11-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Here are some of the exclusive PS3 titles:

uHbrc1ni2zI
This is a very very fun game.

gQHtJW_foOY
This is going to be the new Legos.

YGJwlMsNMq0
I don't know what the hell this is. No one knows what this is, but if you like Africa, there you go.

7scVjnlRVc4
This one might be fun.

l4fahAdNHpM
There is good stuff being said about this game.

invisiblerobots
11-26-2007, 01:43 PM
http://www.gooddealgames.com/articles/Game%20Consoles/5%20Atari%20Super%20Pong.jpg

Yablonowitz
11-26-2007, 01:46 PM
C DUB YA should have some super duper advice for you. Wait for his vote before buying anything.

Bosco
11-26-2007, 01:47 PM
get a wii

jedi lightsaber controls comming soon...

C DUB YA
11-26-2007, 02:27 PM
Get a 360 or PS3 first. The Blu Ray is a nice featured add on for $399 when you go Sony. The PS3 also has 3 really great exclusives right now - Uncharted, Warhawk, and Ratchet and Clank: Future. Many more are on their way (Little Big Planet, Killzone 2, Metal Gear 4 all look great)

Xbox does a have a larger library right now, but most of the newer games are going to be on both systems. If you fancy Bioshock (which you should) that's one very nice reason for a 360, the other is Gears of War. Don't buy a 360 for Halo 3... it's fun, but way over-rated, even the online play is becoming more of a bother as of late.

Get a Wii if you "game with your in-laws" and that is not a jab at Wii, it's just more of a party system than the other two. Also Nintendo's library is, and will continue to sku quite young. Mario Galaxy is fun, but I feel like I'm 12 when I'm playing it.

kitt kat
11-26-2007, 02:37 PM
i don't understand video games post 1996.

honestly.

J~$$$
11-26-2007, 02:39 PM
honestly? You were fibbing at one time?

Alchemy
11-26-2007, 02:45 PM
i don't understand video games post 1996.

honestly.

I know.

128 bits. What the fuck were they thinking?

Yablonowitz
11-26-2007, 03:22 PM
Infocom games, Summer Olympics, and Pole Position on the Commodore 64 >>>>> PS3

J~$$$
11-26-2007, 03:23 PM
Im posting from my C64 right now.

rage patton
11-26-2007, 03:30 PM
Wii. Easily. No competition. Well... perhaps there is some competition from the 360. But still, I would without a doubt go with the Wii.

As for the PS3...

Here are some of the exclusive PS3 titles:

7B-eo481cS0

Alchemy
11-26-2007, 04:12 PM
7B-eo481cS0

I'm not going to lie that the only game out for PS3 (that's exclusive) is Warhawk, but damn that game is awesome. And Drake's Fortune... But I don't have that one.

But when LittleBigPlanet comes out. It will have a competition with life itself.

Wheres the beef?
11-26-2007, 04:27 PM
I'm really liking The Agency. I think it will be the game that turns the tide.

Ill_Eagle
11-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Can't go wrong with the Wii.

menikmati
11-26-2007, 05:13 PM
sega dreamcast...

Dreamcast rocked. Had a GREAT lineup of games for it...Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, NFL 2K Series, Shenmue, Jet Grind Radio, Resident Evil 4, Sega GT, Star Wars Racer, the list goes on and on....I still have mine sitting next to my PS2. I would kinda like to start Shenmue over again.

rage patton
11-26-2007, 05:58 PM
Funny... this poll looks exactly like the console sales market.

woogie846
11-26-2007, 06:40 PM
Get the Wii for Super Mario Galaxy alone.

Bosco
11-26-2007, 06:59 PM
wii is the best value right now, hands down.

I plan to get my self a PS3 later down the road once the new GTA comes out

RotationSlimWang
11-26-2007, 07:04 PM
PS3 is already dead. I don't know why you would buy that unless you could afford two or three of them to begin with.

All That I Am
11-26-2007, 07:05 PM
I would have voted for wii and 360, but i voted 360 because of ROCK BAND.
Damn that game is fun with three other people.

Cpt. Funkaho
11-26-2007, 07:08 PM
Wii: Come for the party games, stay for the hot girls who will play them with you.

EDIT: As evidenced by the votes of PF and Ms. Funkylama. Note the absence of female votes for any other system.

kitt kat
11-26-2007, 07:40 PM
I know.

128 bits. What the fuck were they thinking?

It's ALL about the Super Ninendo, baby.

menikmati
11-26-2007, 07:54 PM
PS3 is already dead. I don't know why you would buy that unless you could afford two or three of them to begin with.

already dead?

RotationSlimWang
11-26-2007, 07:56 PM
It's dead, dude. Sony lost. There will not be a Playstation 4. This shit will be done within a year, year and a half tops.

menikmati
11-26-2007, 08:01 PM
No way. Though I do agree there won't be any next-gen (playstation 4, xbox 720whatever) for a long time...I really don't know how much further they can push stuff.

RotationSlimWang
11-26-2007, 08:04 PM
Huh? Dude, there's no problem getting better technology. The problem is Sony is going to go under. Playstation was the only division that was turning profits until this fucking disaster.

luckyface
11-26-2007, 08:11 PM
No way. Though I do agree there won't be any next-gen (playstation 4, xbox 720whatever) for a long time...I really don't know how much further they can push stuff.

I am sure the companies are wrist deep into planning and creating the next gen systems.

rage patton
11-26-2007, 08:17 PM
I have a friend who works in the gaming industry. He doesnt know much about Microsoft's or Sony's new projects... but he said Nintendo is well under way on their next system. Its apparently going to be different than the Wii... but the same kind of idea. A new gaming experience. Projected release is 2010-2011. Also, concepts for the follow up to the follow up of the Wii are also apparently being thrown around right now.

I assume the same is going on with Microsoft. Sony is probably to busy worrying about the PS3.

menikmati
11-26-2007, 08:21 PM
Yeah but what more can they do? Really? All that stuff about motion controlled controllers or whatever, that stuff never catches on in the mainstream...there may be a game or two that implement it, but it never catches on, ever (and I don't mean the Wii...I just mean companies tryiing to demonstrate their controller is sixaxis or whatever). How much better can the graphics get? For simulation, I think they're pretty good now and I wouldn't start paying outrageous amounts for anything better at the moment.

Pretty much as far as graphics and controllers/peripherals go, it's as good as it gets. And no, I don't believe in all that 3-d holographic bullshit that you see in the "future" in all the movies...let's be realistic, thats never happening.

I think the best the future holds for gaming is just a bigger online network, where most games will just be downloaded (with updates and blah blah) rather than being distributed on disc...and obviously everything will be HD, and be whatever the standard format at the time is (blu ray etc...). Other than that, I see nothing groundbreaking in the seeable future.

rage patton
11-26-2007, 08:24 PM
Not to be a Nintendo fanboy or anything... but thats what people were saying for the longest time. Before this current generation of consoles came out, people were basicaly saying all that can/needs be improved is graphics.
Then Nintendo released the DS and the Wii.

menikmati
11-26-2007, 08:31 PM
Well I know the Wii and it's motion controls have caught on (to a certain audience)....but I do have to admit that I hate that kinda stuff...I prefer a controller in my hands, nothing more....I can honestly care less about having stuff be motioned controlled on screen (call me old school)....but I also think for the big epic kind of games (more of the 360/PS3 types I guess you could say), that motion control stuff isn't A) made for those kinda games and B) Won't catch on anyway.

rage patton
11-26-2007, 08:40 PM
All I am saying is that when it comes to systems like the 360 and PS3... you are right. Not much more con be developed. However, Nintendo is finding new ways to inovate gaming.
And what do you mean you dont think it will catch on? The Wii is crushing PS3 in sales. Its has also been beating the 360 for the vast majority of this year. Also, the DS is constantly ahead of the PSP in sales. Sony, in a shameless attempt, blatantly tried to copy Nintendo by forgoing the rumble feature, and going with motion sensor technology into their controllers as well.
Also, before the Wii came out... I was very skeptical of the controllers. I was worried I would get bored of it very fast. That is not the case at all though. I was worried about mutiplayer games though... I was worried about platform games. Zelda and Super Mario to be precise. Zelda was great. A few slight problems, but it still worked and it was fun. Now, ask anyone who has played Super Mario Galaxy. The controls are SO tight for that game and they work so incredibly well. Also, Super Smash Bros Brawl is giving gamers FOUR options of controlers to use. Wii remote + nun-chuck, Wii remote, Gamecube controller, wii console classic controller. So you can choose your gaming experience.
Right now is truly Nintendos time to shine. Sony has had its day.

TheWatcher
11-26-2007, 09:53 PM
360: Bio-Shock does look really good, and I'm tempted to buy the 360, but I'll probably get the PC version.

PS3: Good system, but you might want to wait until the next price drop. Also, since you already have PS2 you have a large library of available games.

Wii: If you can find one, this looks like the one to get. I'll probably have to wait till after the Christmas season to find one though. My main reason to buy one is the downloadable games; you can get old games from the original NES up to Game Cube I believe.

Alchemy
11-27-2007, 05:48 AM
Sony isn't exactly going in debt with the PS3. The problem with the PS3 is that there weren't any great titles developed for its debut. Warhawk is an amazing game. Way cooler than Halo, in my own opinion, but its not getting out there because there is nothing else putting the PS3 out there. Next year, when all these awesome titles start rolling into the PS3, and when the prices drop some more, it will start picking up. I'm pretty confident that games like LittleBigPlanet and The Agency are going to draw in so much hype for being the greatest games out. Not to mention that any future Halo titles have a good chance on being on XBox360 AND PS3 now. Sony is not going to get kicked out of the game.

It was a stupid idea to market such an expensive system with games like Lair and Heavenly Sword in the front lines, but next year is going to fix that up.

C DUB YA
11-27-2007, 06:32 AM

This is not true.

C DUB YA
11-27-2007, 06:36 AM
Huh? Dude, there's no problem getting better technology. The problem is Sony is going to go under. Playstation was the only division that was turning profits until this fucking disaster.

You really don't know what you are talking about.

Sony's TV division (the one that deals with broadcast, broadcast rpoduction, and supply for TV networks and film alike), is a huge money maker.

Sony isn't going anywhere.

Sure the launch of the PS3 was dreadful, but it only takes a few killer apps to turns things around... and those are DEFINITELY coming.

Sony will never back down in this so called war. They have always projected a 7-10 year life cycle for the PS3. Even iof the first 2 years are sub par, doesn't mean the system is dead.

Not in the least.

Hannahrain
11-27-2007, 07:05 AM
Picking your console is a rotten habit and you all should be ashamed of yourselves.

RotationSlimWang
11-27-2007, 07:20 AM
You really don't know what you are talking about.

Sony's TV division (the one that deals with broadcast, broadcast rpoduction, and supply for TV networks and film alike), is a huge money maker.

Sony isn't going anywhere.

Sure the launch of the PS3 was dreadful, but it only takes a few killer apps to turns things around... and those are DEFINITELY coming.

Sony will never back down in this so called war. They have always projected a 7-10 year life cycle for the PS3. Even iof the first 2 years are sub par, doesn't mean the system is dead.

Not in the least.

"You really don't know what you're talking about."

You know who says that? Douchebags. Douchebags who are usually full of shit. Let's google "Sony profits" and just click like the first fucking link that comes up... OH, WHAT DO YOU KNOW? http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=11430

Officials from Sony have announced the company’s fiscal results for the three months ending September 30th, showing an expected poor result as the company was hit by fallout from its global laptop battery recall and start-up costs for the PlayStation 3.

The company’s group net profit for the quarter was ¥1.7 billion ($14.3m), down from ¥28.5 billion ($240.2m) at the same time last year. The company lost ¥51 billion ($429.9m) alone on the recall of 9.6 million batteries. The recall prevented the company from enjoying any benefit from a 8 percent rise in sales to ¥1.85 trillion ($15.59bn).

The company’s games division reported a ¥43.5 billion ($366.6m) loss, from a ¥8.2 million ($69,000) profit in 2005, thanks to research and development, manufacturing and marketing costs related to the launch of the PlayStation 3. Sales and operating revenue were down by 20.5 percent to ¥170.3 billion ($1.43bn).

A decrease in hardware sales worldwide was attributed to a drop in price for the PlayStation 2 and PSP. Software sales also decreased overall, although individual PSP sales were up on the previous year. Combined profit from the PS2 and PSP business was described as “relatively unchanged”.

Worldwide hardware shipments during the quarter were put at 5.02 million for the PlayStation 2 (up 0.01 million) and 3.89 for the PSP (up 0.14 million). The company recently cut its shipment targets for the PSP from 12 million to 9 million. Software shipments for the PlayStation 2 were 47 million units (down 3 million) and for the PSP 12.9 million units (up 3.9 million).

In the core electronics segment, Sony's operating profit shrank 71 percent to ¥8 billion, while the company’s movie business also recorded a poor three months with an increased operating loss of ¥15.3 billion.

The poor results have forced Sony to revise its fiscal year profit forecasts up to March 2007, down 38 percent to ¥80 billion ($674.0m) – a decrease of 35 percent on fiscal 2005 results. Sales, meanwhile, are expected to increase by 10 percent to ¥8.23 trillion ($69.34bn).

Feel free to research more thoroughly if you want, I know the facts, and they've been facts for going on over two years now, you dumb old cunt.

FACE. FISCALFACE.

C DUB YA
11-27-2007, 02:21 PM
yeah that last line is important,

Sales, meanwhile, are expected to increase by 10 percent to ¥8.23 trillion ($69.34bn).

Also the movie loss is based on 3 months. So, like I said, things are starting to turn around. Sony is not closing shop on this so-called (your words)... dead console.

Dead my ass cockbreath.

Yablonowitz
11-27-2007, 02:27 PM
yeah that last line is important,

Sales, meanwhile, are expected to increase by 10 percent to ¥8.23 trillion ($69.34bn).

like I said, things are starting to turn around. Sony is not closing shop on this so-called (your words)... dead console.

Dead my ass cockbreath.

Cockbreath?!

C DUB! You can't beat Randy by being Randy. BE YOU.

RotationSlimWang
11-27-2007, 02:31 PM
Sales are expected to go up? Well that certainly proves that you were right. THE FUTURE IS ON YOUR SIDE.

PotVsKtl
11-27-2007, 02:32 PM
Yeah but what more can they do? Really? How much better can the graphics get?

http://www.lumiere.net.nz/reader/media/images/img_kingkong3.jpg

Cruel Runnings
11-27-2007, 02:37 PM
360 first, Wii second, PS3 third in a year maybe.

But yeah 360 is pretty much the best gaming machine on the market right now.

Daft Fro
11-27-2007, 03:42 PM
I'd get a Wii, but it would all depend on what games you like to play, and how you like to play them. I wouldn't get a PS3, there isn't much incentive, unless you really want some Blu-ray.

Wii or 360, both have damn decent libraries so far. People talking about most of the "good" PS3 games right now, won't be considered good a few years down the line when the PS3 gets a decent library of killer apps.

Plus, you know how much raw fun this is going to be? :D

C DUB YA
11-27-2007, 04:15 PM
SSBB = awesome

menikmati
11-27-2007, 04:27 PM
I'd get a Wii, but it would all depend on what games you like to play, and how you like to play them. I wouldn't get a PS3, there isn't much incentive, unless you really want some Blu-ray.

Wii or 360, both have damn decent libraries so far. People talking about most of the "good" PS3 games right now, won't be considered good a few years down the line when the PS3 gets a decent library of killer apps.

Plus, you know how much raw fun this is going to be? :D

What's the incentive of getting a 360?

rage patton
11-27-2007, 04:39 PM

EsHY0LnbDDw

Wheres the beef?
11-27-2007, 07:57 PM
This post has purposefully ignored the Wii. This is an xbox vs playstation comparison.

When the Xbox first launched in 2001 it had a piss poor selection of launch titles (save for Halo). Now it is the PS3 that is suffering from quality launch titles.

Launch Titles for Xbox:
First-party

* Halo
* Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee
* NFL Fever 2002
* Project Gotham Racing
* Fuzion Frenzy

Third Party

* Dead Or Alive 3
* Madden NFL 2002
* NASCAR Thunder 2002
* Cel Damage
* NHL Hitz 20-02
* NASCAR Heat 2002
* TransWorld Surf
* Test Drive Off Road -- Wide Open
* Mad Dash
* Shrek
* 4x4 EVO 2
* Dark Summit
* Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2X
* AirForce Delta Storm

In 2001 in was the PS2 that had been out for a year and had all the games. In 2007 it is the Xbox.

In 2001 it was the Xbox launching a year late. In 2007 its the Playstation.

In 2001 it was the Xbox that was the superior machine that couldn't sell. In 2007 its the Playstation.

Sony needs to do three things or the PS3 will not win this generation:
-cut out the different price models bullshit
-do whatever it takes to get third party apps out (free SDK's, whatever, etc) that showcase the machines superiority to xbox
-get exclusive titles to the machine

But it looks like history will just end up repeating itself and unless microsoft blows it huge or sony has an ace up its sleeve, the xbox will maintain its momentum and win.

That being said, I still see few reasons to buy an Xbox except for Bioshock and a solid online network. But there are plenty of reasons not to buy a PS3 and they are all correctable (to a degree).

Also, if EA drops the ball on The Orange Box port for the PS3 it will be a huge blow for the PS3. It could be a make or break.

sonofhal
11-28-2007, 01:45 PM

Games that are written for the system (and then ported to PS3), an online service that actually works (with 8 million active users), a machine that can do 1080 and actually uses it for something other than loading screens, updates that don't make your machine crash, the biggest range of games on any next gen system, a ton of quality downloadable content (Hi def movies + TV etc), pads that rumble, the potential to be an anchievement whore and , ultimately, the red ring of death thrown in for good measure.

I have all three. I only play galaxy on my Wii, i play nothing on my PS3 (at least until Haze shows it's face over here) but the 360 gets a ton of use.

PrettyRagdoll
11-28-2007, 02:27 PM
I just got an xbox 360, I'd say go with that

rage patton
11-28-2007, 03:28 PM
Games that are written for the system (and then ported to PS3), an online service that actually works (with 8 million active users), a machine that can do 1080 and actually uses it for something other than loading screens, updates that don't make your machine crash, the biggest range of games on any next gen system, a ton of quality downloadable content (Hi def movies + TV etc), pads that rumble, the potential to be an anchievement whore and , ultimately, the red ring of death thrown in for good measure.

And Bioshock.

algunz
11-28-2007, 09:52 PM
I love my abacus.

C DUB YA
11-29-2007, 07:37 AM
For what its worth... Bioshock is my favorite game in the last 2 years.

RotationSlimWang
11-29-2007, 05:34 PM
Hey C DUB, did you ever find any data whatsoever to support your claim from the other day aside from the "projections for the future?" Or are you willing to concede that you went and acted like an asshole without knowing what you were talking about and you should just admit you were mistaken?

C DUB YA
11-29-2007, 06:44 PM
Hmmm - there is only one asshole in this my friend, it ain't me.

What do you want me to look up? Actually... don't bother - I ain't got time for you, or your silly internet arguements. I have other things to focus on, lots o deadlines.

Bottom line - I like all 3 systems. I don't like people who slag like fanboys, the PS3, like the Wii and 360 is NOT dead. That is what started this whole thing... your silly "dead" statement. When you know that's not true.

Thats all.

Wheres the beef?
11-30-2007, 01:38 AM
Hmmm - there is only one asshole in this my friend, it ain't me.

What do you want me to look up? Actually... don't bother - I ain't got time for you, or your silly internet arguements. I have other things to focus on, lots o deadlines.

Bottom line - I like all 3 systems. I don't like people who slag like fanboys, the PS3, like the Wii and 360 is NOT dead. That is what started this whole thing... your silly "dead" statement. When you know that's not true.

Thats all.

*rubs hands together in gleefull anticipation of Randy's scathing response"

C DUB YA
11-30-2007, 05:08 AM
You have to much time on said hands then.

You know what I kinda have this rule - if I disagree with someone, I don't automatically go to the insult card. I don't call people an asshole (or stupid fucker) just because of a different viewpoint (right or wrong). If your waiting on Randy to "shock me" with some insight or insults, then fine, I'm glad it's entertaining.

What is more entertaining though is watching him respond to someone, who he claims has no idea what they are talking about.

The fact is this... he made a dumb statement (the PS3 is already dead), I simply called him out on it. I may have made a dumb statement (Sony's TV/film divisions have always made a profit), untrue according to the article, he called me out on that. I also said Sony was fine and not going anywhere (the same article says their projections will be up 10% from the drop) so all in all it comes back to... is the PS3 dead? The answer, despite that article, is no.

done.

Steez
11-30-2007, 09:39 PM
the wii is lame as fuck, i got bored of it so easy, unless you are an older person who knows nothing about games, or just a really trendy person.

hop on that 360

Wheres the beef?
11-30-2007, 09:52 PM

You know what I kinda have this rule - if I disagree with someone, I don't automatically go to the insult card. I don't call people an asshole (or stupid fucker) just because of a different viewpoint (right or wrong). If your waiting on Randy to "shock me" with some insight or insults, then fine, I'm glad it's entertaining.

What is more entertaining though is watching him respond to someone, who he claims has no idea what they are talking about.

The fact is this... he made a dumb statement (the PS3 is already dead), I simply called him out on it. I may have made a dumb statement (Sony's TV/film divisions have always made a profit), untrue according to the article, he called me out on that. I also said Sony was fine and not going anywhere (the same article says their projections will be up 10% from the drop) so all in all it comes back to... is the PS3 dead? The answer, despite that article, is no.

done.

Dont take it the wrong way. The reason I posted that was a sarcastic comment towards Randy's usual response (as you have pointed out) which is to insult and claim superiority regardless of facts or arguments presented to the contrary. I agree with everything in said post.

thelastgreatman
11-30-2007, 10:04 PM

done.

You know, C DUB, for someone who supposedly makes their living as a writer you have the reading comprehension of a fucking illiterate. Let's take the paragraph in question here:

The poor results have forced Sony to revise its fiscal year profit forecasts up to March 2007, down 38 percent to ¥80 billion ($674.0m) – a decrease of 35 percent on fiscal 2005 results. Sales, meanwhile, are expected to increase by 10 percent to ¥8.23 trillion ($69.34bn).

First of all, it's important that we distinguish between "sales" and "profits." Just because their sales go up 10 percent--which is still purely theory at this point, it's nothing more than the projections they release to their shareholders and IT HASN'T FUCKING TAKEN PLACE YET--doesn't mean a 10 percent increase in profits at all. Could be more, sure, but unlikely. And even assuming that things started to turn around and they enjoyed a 10 percent increase in sales, did you notice the profits noted for the years it's following? It was down 38 percent the past five quarters, and THAT drop was from a figure at the end of a financial year in which there was a 35 percent drop. And that's profit--end result, not projection, not sales.

So, let's imagine we're not fucking idiots and do some math. Start with Sony's financial situation at the beginning of 2005 and call it a nice round 1.00 value. At the beginning of 2006, you're already down to .65. Not good. Then by March 2007, THAT figure has dropped another 38 percent, so Sony's financials are now roughly .47 going into the last three quarters of 2007. They are now projecting HALF as much profit as they were only two years ago.

Oh, but now they're saying they think there's going to be a 10 percent increase in sales, which if it hopefully translated into profits would mean they might be able to get back above the halfway mark to where they were two years ago. Oh, and that's IF they're actually right for a change, except that apparently for two years now their projections have been off by rather a lot.

FACE. NOW SHUT THE FUCK UP.

C DUB YA
12-01-2007, 10:45 AM
I don't make my living as a writer.

thelastgreatman
12-01-2007, 04:46 PM
Apparently reading and thinking doesn't factor into your life much either.

Yablonowitz
12-01-2007, 04:55 PM
You know, C DUB, for someone who supposedly makes their living as a writer you have the reading comprehension of a fucking illiterate. Let's take the paragraph in question here:

First of all, it's important that we distinguish between "sales" and "profits." Just because their sales go up 10 percent--which is still purely theory at this point, it's nothing more than the projections they release to their shareholders and IT HASN'T FUCKING TAKEN PLACE YET--doesn't mean a 10 percent increase in profits at all. Could be more, sure, but unlikely. And even assuming that things started to turn around and they enjoyed a 10 percent increase in sales, did you notice the profits noted for the years it's following? It was down 38 percent the past five quarters, and THAT drop was from a figure at the end of a financial year in which there was a 35 percent drop. And that's profit--end result, not projection, not sales.

So, let's imagine we're not fucking idiots and do some math. Start with Sony's financial situation at the beginning of 2005 and call it a nice round 1.00 value. At the beginning of 2006, you're already down to .65. Not good. Then by March 2007, THAT figure has dropped another 38 percent, so Sony's financials are now roughly .47 going into the last three quarters of 2007. They are now projecting HALF as much profit as they were only two years ago.

Oh, but now they're saying they think there's going to be a 10 percent increase in sales, which if it hopefully translated into profits would mean they might be able to get back above the halfway mark to where they were two years ago. Oh, and that's IF they're actually right for a change, except that apparently for two years now their projections have been off by rather a lot.

FACE. NOW SHUT THE FUCK UP.

This issue is that important to you, eh?

thelastgreatman
12-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Look, I'm unmedicated and testy. Sometimes being right is all I have. Sue me.

Deviate_420
12-01-2007, 05:01 PM
So I just downloded a NES Emulator and have been playing battletoads all afternoon.....

Neutral Milk Hotel
12-03-2007, 10:20 PM
Heh, funny you should mention battletoads, cracked.com just did a list today:

http://www.cracked.com/article_15696_10-most-irritatingly-impossible-old-school-video-games.html

prettydirtything
12-03-2007, 11:24 PM
Hey C DUB, did you ever find any data whatsoever to support your claim from the other day aside from the "projections for the future?" Or are you willing to concede that you went and acted like an asshole without knowing what you were talking about and you should just admit you were mistaken?

picture of RotationSW last night... via his Xbox LIVE Vision Camera (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xboxlivevision/) of course.

http://bp1.blogger.com/_iLbIaIESqrY/RkJIERZcObI/AAAAAAAAAAk/n_eG2GPWlcA/s320/bunny.jpg

thelastgreatman
12-04-2007, 02:48 PM
picture of RotationSW last night... via his Xbox LIVE Vision Camera (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xboxlivevision/) of course.

http://bp1.blogger.com/_iLbIaIESqrY/RkJIERZcObI/AAAAAAAAAAk/n_eG2GPWlcA/s320/bunny.jpg

... I don't follow this much at all. Is that supposed to be me in the picture, or is this your way of saying you want to lick my cock?

Clarify, please.

Yablonowitz
12-04-2007, 02:51 PM
I bought a 360 over the weekend. Game tag is yablonowitz. Let's play.

thelastgreatman
12-04-2007, 02:51 PM
Yab, what the hell does your handle derive from anyway?

Yablonowitz
12-04-2007, 02:54 PM
Yab, what the hell does your handle derive from anyway?

The last movie John Belushi was in before he died. Horrible movie.

mvanwinkle
12-04-2007, 02:55 PM
I bought a 360 over the weekend. Game tag is yablonowitz. Let's play.

will you be picking up rock band.
I am still dieing to play.

thelastgreatman
12-04-2007, 02:56 PM
Fair enough.

Yablonowitz
12-04-2007, 02:57 PM
I have yet to see the appeal of Guitar Hero/Rockband. But I haven't played it either.

I only have Halo 3 right now. I am planning on getting Bioshock and Lego Star Wars for my son.

thelastgreatman
12-04-2007, 02:58 PM
I should probably note that after all that arguing I don't own any of these systems.

mvanwinkle
12-04-2007, 03:01 PM
I have yet to see the appeal of Guitar Hero/Rockband. But I haven't played it either.

I only have Halo 3 right now. I am planning on getting Bioshock and Lego Star Wars for my son.

I talked mulitple mounds of shit on guitar hero. Then I played it.
also do your self a favor get gears of war it puts halo to shame. and is only for the 360.

Yablonowitz
12-04-2007, 03:11 PM
I should probably note that after all that arguing I don't own any of these systems.

You didn't need to make that admission. I assumed as much. You don't want to get all that powder in one of those systems, they'd break down.

thelastgreatman
12-04-2007, 03:12 PM
Funny. And I thought that pouring meth on the processor would make it faster. Silly Randy.

Yablonowitz
12-04-2007, 03:13 PM
I talked mulitple mounds of shit on guitar hero. Then I played it.
also do your self a favor get gears of war it puts halo to shame. and is only for the 360.

I think I'm more prone to the Orange Box. I prefer being a badass scientist to being some marine or something that kills terrorists. Or whatever the storyline is. Though I have heard that it is a very good game.

mvanwinkle
12-04-2007, 03:15 PM
I figured since you own halo. you might like gears of war
Kind of like if you like this band you might like this band

thelastgreatman
12-04-2007, 03:16 PM
Yablo HATES this band.

Yablonowitz
12-04-2007, 03:16 PM
I figured since you own halo. you might like gears of war
Kind of like if you like this band you might like this band

Oh, so you're the pandora.com of the Xbox360?

amyzzz
12-04-2007, 03:57 PM
I don't like video games, and I kinda want a Wii. My husband disdains the Wii.

rage patton
12-04-2007, 04:01 PM

You KNOW you will end up playing Lego Star Wars. It is such a fun game. Its absolutely genius.

Oh, and sometime in '08, a Star Wars game will be coming out for the Wii. And it WILL have a light saber attatchment. Yet another reason to buy the Wii...

PrettyRagdoll
12-06-2007, 12:51 AM
This just in.. Just finished playing Bioshock and you can add that to the reasons why you should get a 360

C DUB YA
12-06-2007, 07:58 AM
thats been one of the reasons from the start.

Yablonowitz
12-06-2007, 08:48 AM
thats been one of the reasons from the start.

Does the PS3 have a media player that can connect to your PC and play divx video files?

Um, I don't think so.

That's a far better reason to get the Xbox than Bioshock.

Snakeface
12-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Wii. I have to disagree with some others though, Mario Strikers Supercharged SUCKS!!! Get Super Mario Galaxy, Elebits, or either Trauma Center. There's nothing better than leaving a pixelated body on the table after a botched co-op surgery.

VOTE PLUMP DJ's '08!!!

C DUB YA
12-06-2007, 04:22 PM
Does the PS3 have a media player that can connect to your PC and play divx video files?

Um, I don't think so.

That's a far better reason to get the Xbox than Bioshock.

Nah - I don't buy it.

Yablonowitz
12-06-2007, 05:20 PM
Nah - I don't buy it.

What is it that you don't buy?

microlovebeat
12-06-2007, 05:22 PM
get PS3 and get Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, and then say goodbye to sleep.

C DUB YA
12-07-2007, 07:03 PM
I was just joshin

JeanClaudeGodFuckingDamn
12-07-2007, 07:03 PM
fuck videogames

Sexecutioner
12-07-2007, 11:54 PM
rock band is the best game ever made, so you should buy ps3 or xbox360.

Neutral Milk Hotel
12-12-2007, 03:01 PM
Well it turns out my sister is getting a Wii for Christmas, so the 360 definitely wins. Now I am trying to decide whether I want the XBox or protools.

C DUB YA
12-13-2007, 11:07 AM
Call of Duty 4 is great.

(either 360 or PS3)

Wheres the beef?
12-16-2007, 09:31 PM
I am now the proud owner of a PS3 and COD4. WOW.

Alchemy
12-16-2007, 09:37 PM
I've been playing Unreal Tournament 3 on my PS3. Fun fun fun.