PDA

View Full Version : What's so great about Arcade Fire?

andronicus
11-26-2007, 07:56 AM
I'm really curious. I don't dislike their music at all, but I've heard many people, especially those around my school, talk about how great they are.

Why and/or how are they so great? I really can't see it. I'm not trying to hate either, I'm really just curious.

beavington
11-26-2007, 08:28 AM
I didn't understand it at first either. Then I really listened to "Rebellion (Lies)" and particularly their performance of the song on the Coachella movie. Watch that and if you can't see it still then, well I do not know what to tell you. The passion and intensity behind the music, espeically live. After that I listened to "Funeral" and it then unfolded to me how epic their songs are. Their songs have some of the same intensity that Pulp's songs have.
When I saw them at Sasquatch last year it cemented it. I really think seeing them live is the best way to explain how good their are. I just stood there after "Laika" and was just stunned.
People talk about Radiohead being a religious experience, something I laugh at and do not understand. But Arcade Fire is probably the closest thing I could ever call a religious experience at a show. (Yet it still was not one because thats a ridiculous claim

To sum it up, the passion is what brings me in.

Boourns
11-26-2007, 09:15 AM
You were right on the money about everything except Radiohead not being a religious experience. It's actually something higher than religion, because religion is a lie and a way of keeping people oppressed, anyway.

betao
11-26-2007, 09:18 AM
I dont get AF either. Just not my taste.

brando4n82
11-26-2007, 09:49 AM
ah yes, the age old question. I wish i knew myself.

hypervera
11-26-2007, 09:51 AM
I'm really curious. I don't dislike their music at all, but I've heard many people, especially those around my school, talk about how great they are.

Why and/or how are they so great? I really can't see it. I'm not trying to hate either, I'm really just curious.

mmm well you hate muse and you dont understand the arcade fire, i think you have serious problems

Melanie.Dawn
11-26-2007, 09:56 AM
mmm well you hate muse and you dont understand the arcade fire, i think you have serious problems

I hate muse and dont understand arcade fire either... I think everyone else has serious problems

captncrzy
11-26-2007, 09:56 AM
It's their live show.

hypervera
11-26-2007, 10:13 AM
I hate muse and dont understand arcade fire either... I think everyone else has serious problems

you must hate radiohead, pixies, the beatles, oasis, the cure, etc, etc

suprefan
11-26-2007, 10:19 AM
Just go see them live, come back and tell us what you thought/felt.

Melanie.Dawn
11-26-2007, 10:26 AM

How can you even compare all those to one band.

Its like saying, if you like muse you must like the killers...

boyalien0
11-26-2007, 10:33 AM
It's their live show.

Exactly.

hypervera
11-26-2007, 10:42 AM
How can you even compare all those to one band.

Its like saying, if you like muse you must like the killers...

:blah young people

muse is a great band, just because you only know time is running out or starlight that doesnt mean that they are a bad band

and if you dont like arcade fire or muse that means that you dont have a good taste in music and you must not like good bands like radiohead, etc etc you must live my chemical romance or bands like that

brando4n82
11-26-2007, 11:15 AM

muse is a great band, just because you only know time is running out or starlight that doesnt mean that they are a bad band

and if you dont like arcade fire or muse that means that you dont have a good taste in music and you must not like good bands like radiohead, etc etc you must live my chemical romance or bands like that

:blah :blah :blah :blah :blah :blah :blah :blah :blah

Muse is awesome. Arcade Fire is lame. You suck.

microlovebeat
11-26-2007, 11:27 AM
i have to admit......i was disappointed by arcade fire's coachella 07 performance.

i could have had unrealistic expectations because of all the hype surrounding their live performances, but it just didn't do anything for me. i love their music, don't get me wrong. they just seemed so sloppy to me. the mixing was horrible. i know sometimes at big festivals, the mixing isn't up to par, but they even had a sound check....come on.

crazzz2007
11-26-2007, 11:36 AM
arcade fire is an elaborate prank

brando4n82
11-26-2007, 11:46 AM
arcade fire is an elaborate prank

hah *air five*

Jerm05
11-26-2007, 11:48 AM

Try looking up some performances on youtube to get a sense of the live shows...knowing their music helps too.

invisiblerobots
11-26-2007, 11:49 AM
Didn't someone else already make a thread like this? Name escapes me... Bah, never mind.

PassiveTheory
11-26-2007, 12:14 PM
I think the Arcade Fire are a good niche act, I don't think they're necessarily life changing. Their live show is pretty fucking good, but they have their limitations (namely Win's lack of a powerful voice). I also like Muse, but I like them more mainly because I think they're more artistically intricate and forward thinking than Arcade Fire, but AF really isn't going for the same things Muse is in their music, so that's understandable.

mvanwinkle
11-26-2007, 12:17 PM
if only delta was here to explain it all.

mvanwinkle
11-26-2007, 12:19 PM
I have seen both muse and arcade fire live. Muse did nothing for me. Arcade Fire on the other hand is not only one of the best bands but has put on one of the best shows I have seen.

betao
11-26-2007, 12:21 PM
Delta wouldnt explain anything. He'd just tell the thread starter that he was a failure and waste of a life, then go into capitalist/conspiracy rant.

All That I Am
11-26-2007, 12:22 PM
It's their live show.

Yup, that's it exactly. I don't think The Neon Bible is that great, but I've seen them three times on this tour.

mvanwinkle
11-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Yup, that's it exactly. I don't think The Neon Bible is that great, but I've seen them three times on this tour.

I was not a fan of neon bible at first listen. Because i loved their first cd so much. But luckilly i gave it another try and sometimes I like it more then Funeral.

mvanwinkle
11-26-2007, 12:26 PM
Delta wouldnt explain anything. He'd just tell the thread starter that he was a failure and waste of a life, then go into capitalist/conspiracy rant.

the other day just for the hell of it i did a google search on delta and found like 10,000 hits leading to all his other boards.

PassiveTheory
11-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Here's one of the results on page 10 of the google search:

migraines hair pulling sensation. migraines in children. migraines inchildren. migraines iv to cure.

jenniferrrae
11-26-2007, 01:03 PM
funeral

MissingPerson
11-26-2007, 01:44 PM
A lot of it has to do with their live show, yeah. They don't take their audience for granted, and they make a real effort to get sweaty and stinky right there with the crowd. They don't just get up and play their albums. It's hard to say what they do that a million other bands don't, but they've got something special.

Mainly though, I love that they're a bit gutsy and strange, without being indulgent. I don't think they set out to be "kooky", but at the same time, if they reckon a song needs a stringed medieval winding instrument, they'll go for it. I mean, they run the risk of melodrama or being a bit too po-faced or whatever, but for all the right reasons. I don't think they take themselves too seriously and I don't think Win Butler is necessarily comfortable having lots of people looking at him, but... I think they make really, really great songs.

Neon Bible took a while to grow on me, but now I've seen it live, I get it. And I don't think I'll ever get tired of Funeral. Ever, ever, ever.

I know, I know, I'm one of those weirdos.

hypervera
11-26-2007, 02:53 PM
:blah :blah :blah :blah :blah :blah :blah :blah :blah

Muse is awesome. Arcade Fire is lame. You suck.

Muse is awesome. Arcade fire is good. You suck :thu

brando4n82
11-26-2007, 03:00 PM
Touché!

ADrunkPoet
11-26-2007, 09:40 PM
When did this forum turn into a steel cage match between Arcade Fire and Muse?

Neutral Milk Hotel
11-26-2007, 09:41 PM
I'm so great about Arcade Fire. And grammar!

psycobetabuckdown
11-27-2007, 01:33 AM

Way to bash young people and then form an argument like a 6th grader...

faxman75
11-27-2007, 02:37 AM
I like Arcade Fire and don't like Radiohead.

Holy shit! I figured it out, music is subjective!!!

:lol:

ADrunkPoet
11-27-2007, 03:37 AM

Subjectivism negates the whole purpose of such message boards.
You should pipe down, or we may decide to do other things with our time.

:lool

hypervera
11-27-2007, 06:35 AM
Way to bash young people and then form an argument like a 6th grader...

well another stupid kid, its called logic (example: kids are idiots, psycobeta... is a kid, so psycobeta... is an idiot), i made it simple for stupid minds like yours.

hypervera
11-27-2007, 06:39 AM
When did this forum turn into a steel cage match between Arcade Fire and Muse?

this is not a match between muse and arcade, you need to read the older posts

suprefan
11-27-2007, 09:15 AM

Young? Hahaha bitch, a lot of people on here are ''young''(under 21) but the rest of us have been around.

Muse and AF are good in their own regards. Good taste in music is what YOU THINK is good, not what the consensus is in general. If YOU THINK that people have horrible taste because they CHOOSE not to listen or do not enjoy those bands, its THEIR CHOICE, not YOURS. Got it? SHUT UP also, if you want to really have somebody take you a bit more seriously, stick around and post some more ok?

hypervera
11-27-2007, 09:51 AM
Young? Hahaha bitch, a lot of people on here are ''young''(under 21) but the rest of us have been around.

Muse and AF are good in their own regards. Good taste in music is what YOU THINK is good, not what the consensus is in general. If YOU THINK that people have horrible taste because they CHOOSE not to listen or do not enjoy those bands, its THEIR CHOICE, not YOURS. Got it? SHUT UP also, if you want to really have somebody take you a bit more seriously, stick around and post some more ok?

if i like my chemical romance, evanescence, blink 182, do i have good taste in music???
you sound like a peace and love man but lets be realistic in our world exists good and bad bands.

and i just write here if somebody answers or not to me its ok i wont die if nobody answers to me

beavington
11-27-2007, 11:02 AM
well another stupid kid, its called logic (example: kids are idiots, psycobeta... is a kid, so psycobeta... is an idiot), i made it simple for stupid minds like yours.

actually i am with the person who made the comment to you. you put an argument like a 6th grader...

and no i am not another kid, i am old, and i have 6th graders in my family, so yeah, go play your blocks.

"i made it simple for stupid minds like yours" wow, that is probably one of the most immature statements i have ever read (and i have browsed this board enough to find plenty of them!!! WINNER WINNER)

beavington
11-27-2007, 11:04 AM
if i like my chemical romance, evanescence, blink 182, do i have good taste in music???
you sound like a peace and love man but lets be realistic in our world exists good and bad bands.

and i just write here if somebody answers or not to me its ok i wont die if nobody answers to me

Really if you think about what other people will think of music you like then it shows you are not really a music fan but wanting to fit in.
If you like My Chemical Romance Blink 182 or Evanessance then fine, good on you. its your choice.
Get over being cool and just start liking music because its music.
"I Miss You" is a great song by Blink 182.

Melanie.Dawn
11-27-2007, 11:24 AM

yes, thank you!
except I like radiohead and not arcade fire. haha.
Still felt the need to get that straight

hypervera
11-27-2007, 12:38 PM
actually i am with the person who made the comment to you. you put an argument like a 6th grader...

and no i am not another kid, i am old, and i have 6th graders in my family, so yeah, go play your blocks.

"i made it simple for stupid minds like yours" wow, that is probably one of the most immature statements i have ever read (and i have browsed this board enough to find plenty of them!!! WINNER WINNER)

oh my god!!! i won i won!! finally!!

and yeah i made it simple for stupid minds like yours :)
just because you dont understand it, it doesnt mean that its immature.
and now i know why you didnt understand your family have problems let me see 6th graders playing with blocks??

hypervera
11-27-2007, 12:41 PM
Really if you think about what other people will think of music you like then it shows you are not really a music fan but wanting to fit in.
If you like My Chemical Romance Blink 182 or Evanessance then fine, good on you. its your choice.
Get over being cool and just start liking music because its music.
"I Miss You" is a great song by Blink 182.

im just a fan of good music. and wanting to fit in?? i dont care if i fit here or whatever, i just want good bands in this festival, i wont go to coachella to meet people just to listen to good bands

beavington
11-27-2007, 01:11 PM
im just a fan of good music. and wanting to fit in?? i dont care if i fit here or whatever, i just want good bands in this festival, i wont go to coachella to meet people just to listen to good bands

you missed my point completely...
you werent talking about going to coachella and having good bands on the lineup you were talking about peoples taste as a whole based on fucking Arcade Fire and Muse...really?

You were mentioning Evanessshit and My Chemical Romance and Blink 182, how does that have to do with Coachella?

beavington
11-27-2007, 01:12 PM
oh my god!!! i won i won!! finally!!

and yeah i made it simple for stupid minds like yours :)
just because you dont understand it, it doesnt mean that its immature.
and now i know why you didnt understand your family have problems let me see 6th graders playing with blocks??

i think you even lost yourself there.

hypervera
11-27-2007, 01:18 PM
you missed my point completely...
you werent talking about going to coachella and having good bands on the lineup you were talking about peoples taste as a whole based on fucking Arcade Fire and Muse...really?

You were mentioning Evanessshit and My Chemical Romance and Blink 182, how does that have to do with Coachella?

well man you need to learn to read

first i wrote about good bands in the festival because you wrote about fit in music.... bla bla

and arcade fire and muse are great bands i never said that they are the center of the universe.

i mentioned those bands as an example of bad taste in music

read man read!

Melanie.Dawn
11-27-2007, 01:57 PM
well man you need to learn to read

first i wrote about good bands in the festival because you wrote about fit in music.... bla bla

and arcade fire and muse are great bands i never said that they are the center of the universe.

i mentioned those bands as an example of bad taste in music

read man read!

Usually, I try not to get offended or take seriously what I read on this board... because I know its full of people like you... but you are being so ridiculous that I cant help myself. People like you are the reason these boards are almost unbearably negative. Your attitude is what brings down such awesome events... I want to go to Coachella to have fun and listen to bands, not to be surrounded by pretentious morons, And that is how you are presenting yourself. Good thing your only going to listen to music and not meet people, because I dont know who in their right mind would look forward to seeing or meeting someone as close minded as you are.

hypervera
11-27-2007, 03:37 PM
Usually, I try not to get offended or take seriously what I read on this board... because I know its full of people like you... but you are being so ridiculous that I cant help myself. People like you are the reason these boards are almost unbearably negative. Your attitude is what brings down such awesome events... I want to go to Coachella to have fun and listen to bands, not to be surrounded by pretentious morons, And that is how you are presenting yourself. Good thing your only going to listen to music and not meet people, because I dont know who in their right mind would look forward to seeing or meeting someone as close minded as you are.

oooh i bring down events that costs millions of dollars, interesting.
well i have a bad news for you, coachella has been invaded by pretentious and ignorant people since 2005 maybe and every year would get worse because a lot of people are going because "its cool to go" and they dont even know who the f@ck is playing!!

and yes im a little close minded no problem with that and dont worry like 60 000 people will be at coachella so i think i couldnt sorround you

PassiveTheory
11-27-2007, 03:44 PM
What the hell are you people yammering on about?

radiohead727
11-27-2007, 04:31 PM
I think the Arcade Fire are a good niche act, I don't think they're necessarily life changing. Their live show is pretty fucking good, but they have their limitations (namely Win's lack of a powerful voice). I also like Muse, but I like them more mainly because I think they're more artistically intricate and forward thinking than Arcade Fire, but AF really isn't going for the same things Muse is in their music, so that's understandable.

so true. few bands can do well with such a weak singer, but they seem to get by nicely. I find it amazing that they are so good live. it's kind of the opposite of the norm in that the live show suffers less from recorded material. it just shows you how great the other aspects of their music are when they can compensate for that. Win is just horrendous.

MissingPerson
11-27-2007, 05:04 PM
?

Seriously?

Other bands may have accordions, other bands might have 4,587 members, but Win (and Régine's) voice, to me, is the real defining aspect of what they sound like. I mean... if he's having trouble with his voice again during a performance, then yeah, it'll obviously be a bit weak, but in terms of.... well,I can't imagine how the hell Power Out would work with any other vocalist. He sounds like a fucking crazy man, and he definitely belts it out on stage.

That said, I do worry that one of these days he's going to do the "HEART. OF. MAN!" bit and accidentally spit his vocal chords all over the front row.

Somewhat Damaged
11-27-2007, 05:30 PM
Wow, a flame war between noobs. The onslaught starts earlier every year, doesn't it?

licketysplit101
11-27-2007, 08:34 PM
Arcade Fire. Let me wrap it up like this... They are a collective of incredibly talented musicians all playing in their respective places, knowing exactly when is the right time and way to play each of their incredibly varied instruments. They are led by Win Butler, who is somehow able to spin magnificent and beautiful strings of words into accompanying moods in the music. The live show is incredible, each of the members holds a definite character (the stoic but powerful lead, the whimsical fairy, the red-haired passionate one) and the stage antics are often entertaining. I think the biggest thing going for them is the fact that they want to bring a more classic and signature sound to their music. They're idea is that they should go big or go home, and the end result, at the responsibility of their members, is able to create feelings of tragic desparation and beauty. The songs are moody, and Win tells stories that unfold in your head. Listening to their music, for me, is like watching a really good movie. I hope I answered your question.

hypervera
11-27-2007, 08:39 PM
Wow, a flame war between noobs. The onslaught starts earlier every year, doesn't it?

noob? sorry but i went to coachella 03-04-05
thats all

Botrocker
11-27-2007, 08:45 PM
There first album was good. The last one was well um less than what I expected.

betao
11-27-2007, 09:31 PM
AF is ok. I've heard their music and seen a few clips of their shows, but the god-like figure that is given to them on this board, well i've yet to realize the hype.

but i'm a fan of EDM at heart, so that's probably why.

brando4n82
11-28-2007, 08:49 AM
noob? sorry but i went to coachella 03-04-05
thats all

hmm, ok, well stop acting like a noob then. does that work for you?
Quick your bickering and start adding some substance to the board:winkiss :2c

hypervera
11-28-2007, 09:22 AM
hmm, ok, well stop acting like a noob then. does that work for you?
Quick your bickering and start adding some substance to the board:winkiss :2c

"peace and love, respect the bands" thats shit, if i want to say that band is shit id say that band is shit!

you want some substance mmm well this have some substance:MUSE, RADIOHEAD, R.E.M. for headliners :thu

brando4n82
11-28-2007, 09:32 AM
there ya go

andronicus
11-28-2007, 11:01 AM

i have serious problems because i don't like a band that sounds like what radiohead would've been if they kept making records like "pablo honey"?

i'm not gonna waste my time badmouthing you because that would be immature, but dude, seriously, after reading the entirety of this thread, i've come to the summation that your superiority is bothersome and stupid. so...i don't know.

andronicus
11-28-2007, 11:08 AM
thanks guys for all the responses. i will review their albums, live videos, etc. and i will come to a decision as to my opinion of arcade fire.

to explicate a bit more about the reason for this thread, i did see them at coachella and i was impressed, but had never heard their albums, and had heard much hype regarding them. after seeing their show, while the music was good, i think i may have been expecting something different from what i saw.

nevertheless, i will review. thank you.

beavington
11-28-2007, 11:39 AM
Some bands will be superior live as opposed to record just like the other way around. That said maybe Arcade Fire is one of them for you.
For me that is like the Beastie Boys, I love them live, and enjoy when they are on a bill but I would never buy an album of theirs nor would I go see them at the Forum or wherever they would play. But coachella and sasquatch hell yeah.

thanks guys for all the responses. i will review their albums, live videos, etc. and i will come to a decision as to my opinion of arcade fire.

to explicate a bit more about the reason for this thread, i did see them at coachella and i was impressed, but had never heard their albums, and had heard much hype regarding them. after seeing their show, while the music was good, i think i may have been expecting something different from what i saw.

nevertheless, i will review. thank you.

andronicus
11-28-2007, 11:44 AM
we'll see. that does seem to happen with me sometimes.

what is the best record to hear first?

hypervera
11-28-2007, 12:40 PM
i have serious problems because i don't like a band that sounds like what radiohead would've been if they kept making records like "pablo honey"?

i'm not gonna waste my time badmouthing you because that would be immature, but dude, seriously, after reading the entirety of this thread, i've come to the summation that your superiority is bothersome and stupid. so...i don't know.

yes you´re right you have serious ploblems saying that "what radiohead... blablabla"
conclusion you dont know the album origin of symmetry,etc if you dont know the band you shouldnt say they sound like radiohead balblab, that is an old shit.

and after all you´re only 18 years old wtf you know

andronicus
11-28-2007, 12:48 PM
and after all you´re only 18 years old wtf you know

what the fuck does my age have to do with anything?

you're only 23; do you honestly think that because you are 5 years older than me, you are in some way superior to me?

Melanie.Dawn
11-28-2007, 12:49 PM
I think all of Hypervera's bad mouthing must be some kind of joke. No one can seriously be that close minded... can they?

andronicus
11-28-2007, 12:50 PM
well, it is the internet. so you could be right.

Melanie.Dawn
11-28-2007, 12:51 PM
I think its just someone liking the attention. At least I hope for their sake. It would be pretty sad to truly be like that.

hypervera
11-28-2007, 12:52 PM
what the fuck does my age have to do with anything?

you're only 23; do you honestly think that because you are 5 years older than me, you are in some way superior to me?

yeah totally. 5 years more of experience:)

hypervera
11-28-2007, 12:53 PM
I think its just someone liking the attention. At least I hope for their sake. It would be pretty sad to truly be like that.

relax im just defending my points of view thats all

andronicus
11-28-2007, 12:56 PM
yeah totally. 5 years more of experience:)

fair enough. but experience in what?

hypervera
11-28-2007, 12:58 PM
fair enough. but experience in what?

our business here is music, so i have to say more experience in music, bands, cds, concerts, etc etc

andronicus
11-28-2007, 12:59 PM
our business here is music, so i have to say more experience in music, bands, cds, concerts, etc etc

i could definitely argue that, but i'll abstain.

hypervera
11-28-2007, 01:00 PM
i could definitely argue that, but i'll abstain.

yeah :)

andronicus
11-28-2007, 01:03 PM
well, for argument's sake (since this is the internet, and there's nothing better to do on the internet than to argue with strangers), let me ask: how many concerts have you been to in your lifetime?

hypervera
11-28-2007, 01:13 PM
well, for argument's sake (since this is the internet, and there's nothing better to do on the internet than to argue with strangers), let me ask: how many concerts have you been to in your lifetime?

well let me see,coachella 03,04,05, ozzfest 02,03, muse x4, radioheadx2, pearl jam, coldplay, interpolx2, yeahsx2, street scene 05, 07, silverchair, depeche mode,deftones, bloc party, the vines, jet, the strokes, kasabian, the braveryx2, oasis, franz ferdinandx2, 311, the subways, placebo,morrisseyx2, stellastar, the smashing pumpkins,well thats all i can remember

Mr.Nipples
11-28-2007, 01:25 PM
fuck the arcade fire...

mvanwinkle
11-28-2007, 01:31 PM
well let me see,coachella 03,04,05, ozzfest 02,03, muse x4, radioheadx2, pearl jam, coldplay, interpolx2, yeahsx2, street scene 05, 07, silverchair, depeche mode,deftones, bloc party, the vines, jet, the strokes, kasabian, the braveryx2, oasis, franz ferdinandx2, 311, the subways, placebo,morrisseyx2, stellastar, the smashing pumpkins,well thats all i can remember

for being 23 you havent been to that many shows. i have been to a lot more shows then you and im 18. I am not trying to rub it in your face but you say you have so much more experience. 5 years more. well you have two coachellas up on me. but besides that. and ozzfest just subtracts anything good you have accomplished in your life by ten points.

hypervera
11-28-2007, 01:37 PM
for being 23 you havent been to that many shows. i have been to a lot more shows then you and im 18. I am not trying to rub it in your face but you say you have so much more experience. 5 years more. well you have two coachellas up on me. but besides that. and ozzfest just subtracts anything good you have accomplished in your life by ten points.

you have to count the bands at the festivals. and of course you can have more shows, youre an american you have concerts everyday in every corner etc etc

the quality of the bands is the important thing

mvanwinkle
11-28-2007, 01:40 PM
yea. yea. quality not quantity for sure. i was just saying i dont think 5 years has given you that big of a lead. even though coachella 04' i will never be able to compete with.

mvanwinkle
11-28-2007, 01:40 PM
where do you hail from hypervera

hypervera
11-28-2007, 01:46 PM
yea. yea. quality not quantity for sure. i was just saying i dont think 5 years has given you that big of a lead. even though coachella 04' i will never be able to compete with.

i like your answer, but you know i was just playing with the other kid, but ok a person older than you, that person was "alive" when important things happened has an extra and the younger kid was playing with toys of something ok you might know a lot of stuff but you had to search or read the information and someone older he lived the time of the important events. well something like that

hypervera
11-28-2007, 01:49 PM
where do you hail from hypervera

mm i wish i could answer to you but mmm i dont know all the expression or slangs i know the meaning of hail but i dont know how to applicate here mmm

mvanwinkle
11-28-2007, 01:53 PM
were do you live. obviously not US of A

hypervera
11-28-2007, 01:55 PM
were do you live. obviously not US of A

mexico, im like two hours driving from san diego CA

mvanwinkle
11-28-2007, 01:56 PM
o allright. i was expecting something from the UK. do you have to go US to see shows or are some of those in mexico?

hypervera
11-28-2007, 01:59 PM
o allright. i was expecting something from the UK. do you have to go US to see shows or are some of those in mexico?

yes i have to go to san diego, LA or coachella for the concerts, the big bands go to mexico city but im so far away from mexico city.

beavington
11-28-2007, 03:29 PM
i went to ozzfest once. back in 04 i think it was, tickets were 20 bucks and it was the biggest mistake of my life.
although i did enjoy the comment when asked why someone was sitting outside the venue drinking beer when judas priest were on. He said "I dont want to watch no fudgepacker".

trashle626
11-30-2007, 10:54 PM
the arcade fire was the best thing that
happen to canada

hypervera
11-30-2007, 10:57 PM
happen to canada

thats true

nickelback, sum 41 and avril lavigne suck

frozen pilgrim
12-03-2007, 01:54 AM
let me put it this way
if arcade fire is the greatest thing to ever come out of canada, then foreigner is the best thing ever to come out of the USA.

brando4n82
12-03-2007, 05:32 AM
happen to canada

I think we are all fogetting that Kids in the Hall are from Canada

MissingPerson
12-03-2007, 02:31 PM
Despite Arcade Fire's reputation as a sporting force to be reckoned with, Win Butler apparently got his ass kicked by Damon Albarn in a game of **** Pong. I really love this sentence, because it's true.

frozen pilgrim
12-04-2007, 12:22 AM
I think we are all fogetting that Kids in the Hall are from Canada

thank you.

childfacsimile
12-04-2007, 06:48 AM
happen to canada

I thought that title went to the Weird Sisters.

Melanie.Dawn
12-04-2007, 07:49 AM
happen to canada

As much as I'd like to agree...

What about Do Make Say Think? Caribou? Born Ruffians? Meligrove Band? ... I consider all these bands to be better than arcade fire... but I guess I'm bias because I dont really like arcade fire.

Tylerdurden31
12-04-2007, 07:54 AM
As much as I'd like to agree...

What about Do Make Say Think? Caribou? Born Ruffians? Meligrove Band? ... I consider all these bands to be better than arcade fire... but I guess I'm bias because I dont really like arcade fire.

I'd put Broken Social Scene and Godspeed You Black Emperor over Arcade Fire

trashle626
12-04-2007, 08:20 AM
that's just my opinion.

i think the arcade fire has something
new to offer.

beavington
12-04-2007, 10:35 AM
I think if people got over the hype (which i did) and listened to them without prejudice, or preconceived notions (oh this band could never sound as good as the hype) they would like them.
But rarely will you ever find people who could admit to such a notion.

Jerm05
12-04-2007, 10:56 AM
yea that's true, i was lucky enough to discover them right before their 'hype' became stronger than their music (if that makes sense)

MissingPerson
12-04-2007, 04:45 PM
The thing is, I think they're the kind of band that make people genuinely nuts about them. A lot of what might, from a distance, seem to be shallow hipster hype is proper nerdy passion. Maybe it's lame, and it's probably unhealthy, but I think it's sincere for the most part. Until people start arguing over how brilliant the early stuff was, then it is just posturing, yes.

Broken Social Scene have their moments, but overall, they're a bit too self indulgent for me. It always feels like they're playing for their own/each other's benefit. Although they are a fantastic centrepoint for massive games of six-degrees-of-Kevin-Bacon discovery of Canadamerican indie.

futureperfect
12-04-2007, 05:06 PM
Broken Social Scene are a lot more fun than Arcade Fire. If i want to listen to U2 posturing I listen to them. While Neon Bible and Funeral are great albums. There are much cooler bands from canada like say Metric.

mvanwinkle
12-04-2007, 05:38 PM
metric is cool but cooler in the arcade fire?? ftw

praxis1966
12-05-2007, 05:44 AM

Well, if that's the case and experience is what counts here, then my 29 years trump your 23. In other words, because of my age my opinion is inherintly superior to yours. It's your logic, son, so you can't get mad if I use it against you.

That being said, I'm here to tell you that AF is absolutely horrible. Their music is monotonous to the point of boring. And yes, I was there to see their performance at '07, and I still didn't like them.

Oh, and for the record, I saw Blink 182 when they were on the Warped Tour back in 1996 before anyone knew who they were and I didn't care for them then or now (before you get the wrong idea). I only mention it to say this: It was an all ages show, but you still wouldn't have been able to get in because the venue planned on serving hard liquor and by Florida statute couldn't let anyone in under the age of 13.

...Now that I think of it, I actually ORGANIZED a 12 band mini-music fest/protest rally the next year, when you, oh aged wonder, were 13 or so. I had also, by then, played in about 4 different bands of my own. All while you were still biting ankles. Who's the child now?

And did I mention I think Arcade Fire suck ass?

mvanwinkle
12-05-2007, 11:27 AM
...Now that I think of it, I actually ORGANIZED a 12 band mini-music fest/protest rally the next year, when you, oh aged wonder, were 13 or so. I had also, by then, played in about 4 different bands of my own. All while you were still biting ankles. Who's the child now?

whats up bill graham

hypervera
12-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Well, if that's the case and experience is what counts here, then my 29 years trump your 23. In other words, because of my age my opinion is inherintly superior to yours. It's your logic, son, so you can't get mad if I use it against you.

That being said, I'm here to tell you that AF is absolutely horrible. Their music is monotonous to the point of boring. And yes, I was there to see their performance at '07, and I still didn't like them.

Oh, and for the record, I saw Blink 182 when they were on the Warped Tour back in 1996 before anyone knew who they were and I didn't care for them then or now (before you get the wrong idea). I only mention it to say this: It was an all ages show, but you still wouldn't have been able to get in because the venue planned on serving hard liquor and by Florida statute couldn't let anyone in under the age of 13.

first a message board wont get me mad its just a thing in a website. i use this to "play"
and its ok youre older you have more experience i totally agree with you. but i have to say that i know stupid people older than me.

oh and for the record, i saw the killers before their hot fuss was on sale (they plugged their on guitar and key board):rotfl . and yeah congratulations on your blink 182 situation. i never saw nirvana live and i wont fight with the people that went to a nirvana concert in 1992 i was like 7 years old.

its ok you are a concert promoter thats fine man i dont have problems with that. keep doing concerts the world need them!
wait a minute!!!!! in 2002 and 2003 i was 18 or 19 and i used to play in a band!!!! wow and we played nirvana, radiohead songs!!! in my city and we played with more bands!!! omg!!! im a promoter too. actually i have a band yeah!
wait a minute when i was 13 years old i was buyin the ok computer wow

yes youre older, but arcade fire is arcade fire and they played at coachella and you dont! :thu

praxis1966
12-05-2007, 09:58 PM
"whats up bill graham"

Except I doubt Billy Graham would've ever put together an anti-police brutality rally in support of the Oct. 22nd Coalition's National Day of protest, let alone the only one in the panhandle of Florida that year. But, I'm sure you'll find a way of making that beside the point.

"first a message board wont get me mad its just a thing in a website. i use this to "play"
and its ok youre older you have more experience i totally agree with you. but i have to say that i know stupid people older than me.

oh and for the record, i saw the killers before their hot fuss was on sale (they plugged their on guitar and key board) . and yeah congratulations on your blink 182 situation. i never saw nirvana live and i wont fight with the people that went to a nirvana concert in 1992 i was like 7 years old.

its ok you are a concert promoter thats fine man i dont have problems with that. keep doing concerts the world need them!
wait a minute!!!!! in 2002 and 2003 i was 18 or 19 and i used to play in a band!!!! wow and we played nirvana, radiohead songs!!! in my city and we played with more bands!!! omg!!! im a promoter too. actually i have a band yeah!
wait a minute when i was 13 years old i was buyin the ok computer wow

yes youre older, but arcade fire is arcade fire and they played at coachella and you dont!"

First of all, let's get something straight: I couldn't care less about The Killers (aka Soft Cell With More Overdrive and 10 Years Later).

Second of all, I feel there may be a language barrier here. You see, in English, there's a difference in the meaning of the words 'band' and 'promoter' (nevermind I never used the word promoter in reference to myself). You see, a promoter puts on shows professionally, I don't. Some who played in a band (as did you) is a musician (although your qualification for such a title is debatable since you admit you played in cover bands). I simply said I organized a show while you were still basically in diapers. Never said it was my career. Further, congrats on being completely unoriginal in your little cover bands. I have to say, none of the bands I ever played in performed covers. Although, I'm sure you'll say that's neither here nor there. My point? To be a true music fan, you must be involved in your local scene, which I was and still am. Not just watching, but participating. You, clearly, are involved in nothing more than hero worship.

At any rate, you have no reason to be so egotistical. Here's a thought. How about you go listen to a ranchera and leave the real music to the real fans?

P.S. I bought a copy of OK Computer about two weeks after it came out, can't say I liked it much, though. At any rate, I'm not sure why that's supposed to be an insult. And by the way, are you in Arcade Fire? I thought not. Why, then, are you acting like you performed with them? I mean, no, I didn't perform at Coachella. But, then again, neither did you!

mvanwinkle
12-05-2007, 10:03 PM
learn how to quote fuck-ass.

mvanwinkle
12-05-2007, 10:06 PM
bill graham> mia> you

hypervera
12-05-2007, 10:31 PM
"whats up bill graham"

First of all, let's get something straight: I couldn't care less about The Killers (aka Soft Cell With More Overdrive and 10 Years Later).

Second of all, I feel there may be a language barrier here. You see, in English, there's a difference in the meaning of the words 'band' and 'promoter' (nevermind I never used the word promoter in reference to myself). You see, a promoter puts on shows professionally, I don't. Some who played in a band (as did you) is a musician (although your qualification for such a title is debatable since you admit you played in cover bands). I simply said I organized a show while you were still basically in diapers. Never said it was my career. Further, congrats on being completely unoriginal in your little cover bands. I have to say, none of the bands I ever played in performed covers. Although, I'm sure you'll say that's neither here nor there. My point? To be a true music fan, you must be involved in your local scene, which I was and still am. Not just watching, but participating. You, clearly, are involved in nothing more than hero worship.

At any rate, you have no reason to be so egotistical. Here's a thought. How about you go listen to a ranchera and leave the real music to the real fans?

P.S. I bought a copy of OK Computer about two weeks after it came out, so I'm not sure why that's supposed to be an insult. And by the way, are you in Arcade Fire? I thought not. Why, then, are you acting like you performed with them? I mean, no, I didn't perform at Coachella. But, then again, neither did you!

first I couldn't care less about your blink 182<the killers

second i know the difference in the meanings about a musician and a promoter the point was that you were saying "i organized concerts blabla at some age" and i did the same stuff at your same age so youre not the big thing. and yeah i played covers and original songs and what you think about musicians doesnt matter youre not a rockstar or somebody important. the important thing about being a musician is be happy with your music and do what you want. and when i was in diappers i was listening the beatles maybe thats why i have an excellent taste in music :cool:
and actually as i said the last time i have band we play covers yeah covers and original songs and we make some gigs with other local bands so the thing you dont are not impossible to do anyone can do it

and you wrote this "To be a true music fan, you must be involved in your local scene, which I was and still am.." this is shit i bet that some people here in this message board are better music fans than you and me and they dont even know how to play a guitar or whatever.

and who the hell are you to tell me what music to listen idiot and How about you go listen to country music and leave the real music to the real fans? you white trash etc
lol idiot! :laughyou

about buying ok computer the point was that i was very young when i buying and that means i have a long time being a great fan of good music

P.S. you suck

and there´s a thing called quote

crazzz2007
12-20-2007, 09:28 PM

stop saying stupid shit.

radiohead is one of the greatest bands ever.

arcade fire is a huge practical joke.

muse is blah.

hypervera
12-21-2007, 12:39 AM
stop saying stupid shit.

muse is blah.

i think you are very late here.

nobody said shit about radiohead

and about arcade fire and muse (one of the best bands of the last 10 years easily) well you must be an average american or maybe old thats all, and complex music must be a headache for you.

mvanwinkle
12-21-2007, 12:51 AM
radiohead and arcade fire are two of the greatest bands of this decade if not ever. Blah is a good way to describe muse.

hypervera
12-21-2007, 10:52 AM
radiohead and arcade fire are two of the greatest bands of this decade if not ever. Blah is a good way to describe muse.

MUSE>arcade fire

and i like arcade fire (one of the best bands ever??? are you high?)

most of you coachella people dont like muse because they sound mainstream or because they are popular now and for KROQ. and now they dont sound indie omg!!! what a problem! if you´d listen to muse since 1999 you´d not talk shit about muse

slurpee
12-21-2007, 10:58 AM
Arcade Fire is filled with great musicians. I love how the members can play each another instruments and change it up during lives shows. How ever, the music is not just based off a "live show". The lyrics and talent going into Arcade Fire's music is great. Maybe the lyrics and meaning haven't reflected something within your life?

crazzz2007
12-21-2007, 01:59 PM
most of you coachella people dont like muse because they sound mainstream or because they are popular now and for KROQ. and now they dont sound indie omg!!! what a problem! if you´d listen to muse since 1999 you´d not talk shit about muse

you're on crack. i don't like muse because they annoy me.

and what do you mean complex? there is nothing complex about muse. they are formulaic and boring.

Ritestyl
12-21-2007, 02:03 PM
Broken Social Scene are a lot more fun than Arcade Fire. If i want to listen to U2 posturing I listen to them. While Neon Bible and Funeral are great albums. There are much cooler bands from canada like say Metric.

and Boards of Canada... they even have Canada in their name... they win.

Ritestyl
12-21-2007, 02:06 PM
stop saying stupid shit.

muse is blah.

So true... and all that what said during and after the Arcade Fire/LCD Soundsystem tour was that LCD destroyed them... Arcade Fire should just give it up...

boarderwoozel3
12-21-2007, 09:34 PM

I agree with you but after seeing them live at Coachella 07 their fans' passion makes sense. AF, while not my favorite band, put on one hell of a good live show. Props must be given for their musical prowess, regardless of your feelings toward their particular sound.

hypervera
12-22-2007, 01:18 AM
you're on crack. i don't like muse because they annoy me.

and what do you mean complex? there is nothing complex about muse. they are formulaic and boring.

i think you need to listen citizen erased, space dementia, butterflies and hurricanes, micro cuts, ruled by secrecy, etc

its ok if you hate them but you have to admit they have great songs

and wait a minute boring??? arcade fire and RADIOHEAD have more boring songs but i like their songs

i know they have songS like time is running out or starlight that they are simple and comercial but you need to listen other songs and MUSE FUCKIN RULES!!! :thu

ruetheday
12-22-2007, 01:43 AM
Arcade Fire is carp.

roberto73
12-22-2007, 06:34 AM

Nice try. Boards of Canada are from Scotland.

And for the record, Japan are from the U.K., Of Montreal are from the U.S., and Sparta are from Texas, not Greece.

Although the Presidents of the United States of America are, in fact, from the United States of America (but they are not presidents).

PC-2 Violence
12-22-2007, 09:48 AM

CREEPER.

MissingPerson
12-24-2007, 01:03 PM
Arcade Fire is carp.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/jill_valentine/mirrorwithwin.jpg

=

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/jill_valentine/resizecarp.jpg

?

aclockworkapple
01-13-2008, 12:31 PM
It's like the first guy said, it's an acquired taste. You have to think of their music as emotionally-charged, not as catchy or jumpy--which is what it sounds like it's supposed to be when you first hear it. Of course, when you learn to appreciate it, it *is* energetic, but not like the Rapture or something.

The thing that changed my entire perspective on the Arcade Fire was hearing my friend talk about when he saw them in 2005 and everyone was singing the opening notes of "Wake Up" and how it was just the most spiritual, communal thing he'd ever been a part of.

trashle626
01-15-2008, 08:31 AM
So true... and all that what said during and after the Arcade Fire/LCD Soundsystem tour was that LCD destroyed them... Arcade Fire should just give it up...

calm yourself.

radiohead is awesome.

but the arcade fire has brought something new to the table
pull your head out of ur ass.
and stop kissing ass to radiohead

digitalface
01-16-2008, 07:37 PM
I ate pizza during AF last year.

MissingPerson
01-24-2008, 03:30 PM
http://www.rorrimkcalb.com/arcadefire.html

Mark Burbey
01-25-2008, 07:43 PM
Aclockworkapple describes their appeal very well. I fell in love with their music on CD, and missed them at Coachella, but when I saw them live in Berkeley, it was a truly rapturous experience. I still get goose bumps thinking about it. The entire crowd was so completely into it, and their music has a sound and texture and exuberance like no other band. Like another person said, I'll never get tired of either FUNERAL or NEON BIBLE. Even cooler was that they performed the song they wrote for SIX FEET UNDER, totally unexpected. One of my favorite concerts ever. They embody everything great about live music and music in general.

Electric Feel
03-22-2008, 12:56 AM
I know this is a fucking olf thread that i came across many months ago..but i wasn't a member then so i couldn't respond to this thread but wanted to SOOO badly..so now I found it again and here's my chance..

Arcade Fire came into my life at random..while searching music I came acorss them (before the hype) and i fell in love instantly..i remember the first song i ever heard was "my body is a cage" and i swear to god win's voice makes my body tingle..ever since then i have been in love..saw them three times last year..and they are pretty much my favorite band.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH SO MANY OF YOU PEOPLE?!?! ..talking about how they are shit or that while they were touring with lcd soundsystem, he blew arcade fire out of the water...bull fucking shit..as much as i relaize that they are an aquired taste..there is no denying their very individual sound and somewhat strange characteristics..they are so talented, and for me personally, win's voice takes me up up and away to neverland, even makes me cry. they are magical and passionate and while watching them, i unknowingly turn into the head of the gospel choir..the energy that they generate is insane..and i love them to death

i don't know if any of you will ever see this again, but some of you people have rediculously horrible music opinions and tastes.

that is all.

fikus222
03-22-2008, 02:38 AM
I sure did enjoy their set at the inaugural Vegoose.

paulb
03-22-2008, 02:41 AM
Arcade Fire have some excellent songs, and are a excellent band. I hope they are around for a long time.

Electric Feel
03-22-2008, 11:24 AM
Arcade Fire have some excellent songs, and are a excellent band. I hope they are around for a long time.

they will be around, they continually grow through the years and become more amazing..listen to the arcade fire ep and then neon bible-now that is improvement in a band. They have so much more to offer.

psychoc&ndy
03-22-2008, 11:50 AM
at first, i kind of slept on arcade fire because they seemed "too indie" or overhyped or whatever, and i was just turned off by their strange clothes and awkward singing style. months before coachella last year, i started to listen to funeral and neon bible, and i started to like a few songs, but wasn't overly excited or anything. but HOLY FUCKKK THEIR PERFORMANCE COACHELLA 07 WAS PURE ECSTASY! i honestly only knew a handful of songs, and yet they were so amazing that they were one of my number one bands that whole weekend.

even if you don't like them for whatever reason, you have to give them props for their clever musical arrangements and compositions. it's melodical, fresh sounding, inventive, and takes from the past. it's how pop music should be played.

dnbmunke
03-22-2008, 01:06 PM
I never understood all the hype behind Arcade Fire....their first album sucked ass

msklvr
03-22-2008, 03:00 PM
When I think Arcade Fire, I think ass sucking.

thelastgreatman
03-22-2008, 03:02 PM
When I think Arcade Fire, I think ass sucking.

... do you mean that in the good way or the bad way? Cause to some people--the Snowball dude a likely example--a band sucking your ass could be heaven.

msklvr
03-22-2008, 03:20 PM
I mean ass sucking in a bad way.

Sushov23
03-22-2008, 03:55 PM
where is Delta? lol

msklvr
03-22-2008, 03:56 PM
lol, Delta would rant and rant. I feel comfortable saying I don't like Arcade Fire since he is banned.

paulb
03-22-2008, 03:56 PM
Arcade Fire are the best!

E

dnbmunke
03-22-2008, 04:04 PM
Arcade Fire is over hyped. Forward about six years and they will become the equivalent of The Dave Matthews Band.

Electric Feel
03-22-2008, 05:57 PM
Arcade Fire is over hyped. Forward about six years and they will become the equivalent of The Dave Matthews Band.

over-hyped?!?! yeah over-hyped because they should be, and in fact, i feel they were under-hyped..they didn't even win best alternative album at the grammy's, but actually i shouldn't even mention the grammy's because they know shit..and dave matthews band PLEASE..you are just lost.

boredofcanada
03-22-2008, 06:13 PM

lol.....

brando4n82
03-22-2008, 06:22 PM
I FCKING HATE HER GLOVES
http://i.realone.com/assets/rn/img/3/9/7/3/14453793-14453795-large.jpg

boredofcanada
03-22-2008, 07:00 PM
has nothing to do with arcade fire, but i don't care....jenny lewis is so fucking fine...
http://www.rockrgrl.com/images/rkcover8.jpg

humanoid
03-22-2008, 08:47 PM
I know this is a fucking olf thread that i came across many months ago..but i wasn't a member then so i couldn't respond to this thread but wanted to SOOO badly..so now I found it again and here's my chance..

Arcade Fire came into my life at random..while searching music I came acorss them (before the hype) and i fell in love instantly..i remember the first song i ever heard was "my body is a cage" and i swear to god win's voice makes my body tingle..ever since then i have been in love..saw them three times last year..and they are pretty much my favorite band.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH SO MANY OF YOU PEOPLE?!?! ..talking about how they are shit or that while they were touring with lcd soundsystem, he blew arcade fire out of the water...bull fucking shit..as much as i relaize that they are an aquired taste..there is no denying their very individual sound and somewhat strange characteristics..they are so talented, and for me personally, win's voice takes me up up and away to neverland, even makes me cry. they are magical and passionate and while watching them, i unknowingly turn into the head of the gospel choir..the energy that they generate is insane..and i love them to death

i don't know if any of you will ever see this again, but some of you people have rediculously horrible music opinions and tastes.

that is all.

wait...the first Arcade Fire song you heard was "My Body is a Cage"......and that was before the hype to you?????? just curious...seems a few years after the hype

Electric Feel
03-23-2008, 10:41 AM
wait...the first Arcade Fire song you heard was "My Body is a Cage"......and that was before the hype to you?????? just curious...seems a few years after the hype

no, you caught me there and i actually realized it after i wrote it but didn't feel like changing anything..the first song i ever heard was "wake up", "my body is a cage" was the first song i heard off of neon bible, and actually i didn't get the ep until somewhere inbetween there. And no, maybe there could have been hype and i just didn't know about it, i was definitely the first person out of everyone i know though.

dnbmunke
03-23-2008, 11:02 AM
over-hyped?!?! yeah over-hyped because they should be, and in fact, i feel they were under-hyped..they didn't even win best alternative album at the grammy's, but actually i shouldn't even mention the grammy's because they know shit..and dave matthews band PLEASE..you are just lost.

No... Im not lost I just don't feel as passionately about this band like a lot of people on this message board do. I agree they have awesome performances but their music is not that great. Best alternative album? Give me a break. What in your opinion sets them apart from other bands?

MissingPerson
03-23-2008, 07:58 PM
There is not sufficient hype supply on the face of this earth to do Arcade Fire justice. For this reason, they are underhyped.

They put together tremendous music that doesn't sound like any other band I know of and they put on a live show that has rocked my face every time I've been lucky enough to see it. I can understand somebody not grooving with their music if it's not their thing, but I cannot imagine anybody seeing them play live and thinking "Man, wish I was at The Killers right now..."

If their music or live show doesn't do it for you - and if it doesn't, I can only assume your soul and/or ears are broken - I still think they're the kind of band that can be objectively respected. They don't say what they don't mean, and they don't do what they don't believe in. While I don't think that makes them magical miracle people, it does set them apart from the kind of bands who charter jets to fly to Live Earth.

I think it's cool that they're always finding something new and weird to do. They're a weird band; they sound weird, they look weird and they act, it must be said, a little weird. And I like their brand of weird, because I think it's a nice, good-natured kind of weird. I don't think they're in it for the fame or for the money or the ego, and I really don't think they ever will be - coughBillyCorgancough.

The level of success they've got, they are still a sound fucking bunch of guys and gals, and I'd buy any one of them a pint.

Not all of them, though, that would bankrupt me.

quicksand
03-23-2008, 08:00 PM
There is not sufficient hype supply on the face of this earth to do Arcade Fire justice. For this reason, they are underhyped.

They put together tremendous music that doesn't sound like any other band I know of and they put on a live show that has rocked my face every time I've been lucky enough to see it. I can understand somebody not grooving with their music if it's not their thing, but I cannot imagine anybody seeing them play live and thinking "Man, wish I was at The Killers right now..."

If their music or live show doesn't do it for you - and if it doesn't, I can only assume your soul and/or ears are broken - I still think they're the kind of band that can be objectively respected. They don't say what they don't mean, and they don't do what they don't believe in. While I don't think that makes them magical miracle people, it does set them apart from the kind of bands who charter jets to fly to Live Earth. And I like that they're inventive. They're always finding something new and weird to try. They're a weird band; they sound weird, they look weird and they act, it must be said, a little weird. And I like their brand of weird, because I think it's a nice, good-natured kind of weird. I don't think they're in it for the fame or for the money or the ego, and I really don't think they ever will be.

coughBillyCorgancough.

Yeah dude they're bomb as hell I saw them last year and they were so bomb. Main stage was bouncing!

Electric Feel
03-23-2008, 08:47 PM

If their music or live show doesn't do it for you - and if it doesn't, I can only assume your soul and/or ears are broken - I still think they're the kind of band that can be objectively respected. They don't say what they don't mean, and they don't do what they don't believe in. While I don't think that makes them magical miracle people, it does set them apart from the kind of bands who charter jets to fly to Live Earth.

I think it's cool that they're always finding something new and weird to do. They're a weird band; they sound weird, they look weird and they act, it must be said, a little weird. And I like their brand of weird, because I think it's a nice, good-natured kind of weird. I don't think they're in it for the fame or for the money or the ego, and I really don't think they ever will be - coughBillyCorgancough.

The level of success they've got, they are still a sound fucking bunch of guys and gals, and I'd buy any one of them a pint.

Not all of them, though, that would bankrupt me.

AMENNNNNN to that. Perhaps I haven't made myself very clear about this situation..but you, Missing Person, have said it spot on, and i 100% agree because I think that's what I was trying to say the first time..however, the first time I wrote about this I was drunk and it was very late, so thank you.

dnbmunke
03-23-2008, 10:33 PM
Fuck that to say my soul is broken.... look arcade fire is just a fad...they wont be around for the long run

MissingPerson
03-24-2008, 09:34 AM
Arcade Fire made it off the back of word of mouth. Not "Wow, you should listen to this cool new band, they're the new cool thing" or Pitchforks review, but proper, "I've heard this band and they blew my tiny little mind out" word of mouth. I loved them since I first heard them, not because they were a fad.

Jesus, they'd have to be a lot more famous to be even considered a fad.

nationocean
03-24-2008, 09:57 AM
Hm, this thread seems out of date..

Sonicifyouwantit
03-24-2008, 10:22 AM
No... Im not lost I just don't feel as passionately about this band like a lot of people on this message board do. I agree they have awesome performances but their music is not that great. Best alternative album? Give me a break. What in your opinion sets them apart from other bands?

you need someone to tell you what sets them apart?? Whats the point if you cant tell on your own. Its not like comparing fallout boy to panic at the disco.

Fuck that to say my soul is broken.... look arcade fire is just a fad...they wont be around for the long run

a fad? do some research on that. they are not the new little power pop band to surface all of a sudden.

Hm, this thread seems out of date..

and finally, yes I agree why is this thread up and running again. Lets leave it behind

i_like_cake530
03-24-2008, 10:27 AM

You are an idiot.

Sonicifyouwantit
03-24-2008, 10:32 AM
wow now people are flaming each other with posts months old...

MissingPerson
03-24-2008, 10:34 AM
On the upside, it's nice to have a Delta-proof Arcade Fire discussion.

hypervera
03-24-2008, 01:02 PM
wow now people are flaming each other with posts months old...

yep maybe "ilikecake530" is bored and wants some action here

jonnypark
03-24-2008, 01:04 PM
Any good speculation on a release date for another arcade fire album?

Sonicifyouwantit
03-24-2008, 02:15 PM
Any good speculation on a release date for another arcade fire album?

nope, but my guess is they will release a third album...its going to be incredible and will put them on a new level of high.

JSam67
03-24-2008, 02:17 PM
On the last tour, they said they were going to work on a new album and we'd see them again in a couple years. So, I'm assuming 2009 sometime, hopefully setting up for a return Coachella visit next year.

MissingPerson
03-25-2008, 04:36 PM
On the last tour, they said they were going to work on a new album and we'd see them again in a couple years. So, I'm assuming 2009 sometime, hopefully setting up for a return Coachella visit next year.

To be honest, I think 2009 is a bit overly optimistic.

Last few interviews I've seen 'em give, they keep talking about how great it's going to be to not be on the clock as "THE ARCADE FIRE" for a while, and just go home and do boring-people stuff. Richard in particular has mentioned more than once that they're very wary of falling into a rigid cycle of album/tour/album/tour etc.

Kings of Leon or whatever, I think they could probably do a show every night of the week forever, but Arcade Fire play until their drummers start collapsing and the singer's vocal chords explode. They toured pretty hard in 2007, and I don't think we're gonna get another year like that out of them ever again.

Healthy attitude to have, from their point of view. But yeah, alas, I think we might have a few cold, grey years ahead of us until they resurface again. Obama support shows or whatever being the exception, and I wouldn't be wholly surprised if there was some sort of Partners In Health thing at some point. But that's pretty much just wishful thinking on my part.

ThomThom
03-25-2008, 05:00 PM
hypervera,

Are you a fat hispanic girl?

Sonicifyouwantit
03-25-2008, 05:05 PM
I wouldnt want to see them in some support role though, Id much rather see them on their own headlining tour. If they started their tour at coachella 2009 they would have a year plus what time they have already taken off to relax...Maybe 2010...either way I could definitely see them as a coachella headline act in a couple years if album 3 is amazing.

send me ctrpllrs
03-25-2008, 05:13 PM
I think all of us kind of expect them as a headliner in the next few years at this point.

Sonicifyouwantit
03-25-2008, 05:26 PM
I cant wait for their reunion headline at coachella 2018!

jonnypark
03-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Win Butler as a solo act in 2015 should be all right as well

Sonicifyouwantit
03-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Win Butler as a solo act in 2015 should be all right as well

Too true! He will be billed third line with a respectable font size on Sunday

quicksand
03-25-2008, 09:06 PM

suck my down. seriously now.

dnbmunke
03-25-2008, 10:33 PM
Look before all of you start sucking Win's dick lets get real. The fucking Strokes were talked about for years along with the white stripes. They both made great music but after a few years they fell off. This is Arcade Fire's time but Im not going to say they are that AMAZING. Just like most other bands Arcade Fire over time will one day be the equivalent of Pearl Jam. After a while no one gives a fuck.

btw I think I was drunk when I posted on here the other night so lick donkey balls Sonic

dnbmunke
03-25-2008, 10:36 PM
suck my down. seriously now.

you also have permission to lick donkey balls. Good day to you sir.

Electric Feel
03-25-2008, 10:49 PM
Look before all of you start sucking Win's dick lets get real

i'd like to do that...

i guess i understand what your saying..it is true that there's really no telling how long a band will be around for..no matter how good they are.

BUT nevertheless, i still want to have sex with Win Butler.

Sonicifyouwantit
03-25-2008, 10:52 PM
Look before all of you start sucking Win's dick lets get real. The fucking Strokes were talked about for years along with the white stripes. They both made great music but after a few years they fell off. This is Arcade Fire's time but Im not going to say they are that AMAZING. Just like most other bands Arcade Fire over time will one day be the equivalent of Pearl Jam. After a while no one gives a fuck.

btw I think I was drunk when I posted on here the other night so lick donkey balls Sonic

you also have permission to lick donkey balls. Good day to you sir.

you must be drunk again, not too original either...I think you will be forgotten in a few years and are just passing off the anger to people that wont be. White Stripes are far from falling off, Meg may be sick right now but please Icky Thump was far from a failure. Those are both bad examples and no one here is calling arcade fire the second coming, we just believe like many they are not simply this years fad nor corporate teeny rock. Also dont make an excuse like you were drunk for why you made a bad comment and then try to insult us for calling it out. There is no doubt that Arcade Fire is a relevant band. At this point there isnt anything you can add to refute that.

psycobetabuckdown
03-26-2008, 12:37 AM
This may have been asked, but has anyone seen them play Vampire/Forest Fire live? I envy you in advance.

gupbuck
03-26-2008, 06:45 AM
I love Arcade Fire.

thestripe
03-26-2008, 06:54 AM
you must be drunk again, not too original either...I think you will be forgotten in a few years and are just passing off the anger to people that wont be. White Stripes are far from falling off, Meg may be sick right now but please Icky Thump was far from a failure. Those are both bad examples and no one here is calling arcade fire the second coming, we just believe like many they are not simply this years fad nor corporate teeny rock. Also dont make an excuse like you were drunk for why you made a bad comment and then try to insult us for calling it out. There is no doubt that Arcade Fire is a relevant band. At this point there isnt anything you can add to refute that.

I think you might be saddling up and riding Win Butler off into the sunset a little early. What have they done to be so relevant? they made one good record and one easily forgettable one.

dnbmunke
03-26-2008, 07:22 AM
i'd like to do that...

i guess i understand what your saying..it is true that there's really no telling how long a band will be around for..no matter how good they are.

BUT nevertheless, i still want to have sex with Win Butler.

thanks for understanding...and I hope one day you do have sex with Win

dnbmunke
03-26-2008, 07:24 AM

I read the first line of your response and determined you are a racist black jew. Can we settle our differences with a blunt at this years coachella?

dnbmunke
03-26-2008, 07:25 AM
I think you might be saddling up and riding Win Butler off into the sunset a little early. What have they done to be so relevant? they made one good record and one easily forgettable one.

I 100% endorse this comment.

psycobetabuckdown
03-26-2008, 09:47 AM

I will never forget Neon Bible. And Funeral is one of the best albums e-e-e-EVER. Of this decade. "Good record"? No, top 10 of 2000's.

jonnypark
03-26-2008, 11:38 AM
I will never forget Neon Bible. And Funeral is one of the best albums e-e-e-EVER. Of this decade. "Good record"? No, top 10 of 2000's.

I have made this claim on several occasions, I stand by it.

Sonicifyouwantit
03-26-2008, 11:56 AM
you are a racist black jew.

You only got one out of three

MissingPerson
03-26-2008, 05:23 PM
The image of a saddled Win Butler is one I'll spend the rest of my life trying to discard.

Funeral is, without a doubt in my mind, the best album I've ever owned. I mean, I haven't heard every record in the world, so I can't make the definitive "Ever" statement, but it's still the best by my reckoning.

Neon Bible took me a while to get, but it's still a fearsome beast of a thing. That said, those songs come to life live in a way they didn't quite capture on the record. My Body Is A Cage is fucking monumental song to see happening... but on the record it's just kind of strange and lost.

Still, I wouldn't give that album up, and it remains my favourite from last year. Still gets a lot of rotation on my MP3 player.

dnbmunke
03-26-2008, 05:39 PM
The image of a saddled Win Butler is one I'll spend the rest of my life trying to discard.

Funeral is, without a doubt in my mind, the best album I've ever owned. I mean, I haven't heard every record in the world, so I can't make the definitive "Ever" statement, but it's still the best by my reckoning.

Neon Bible took me a while to get, but it's still a fearsome beast of a thing. That said, those songs come to life live in a way they didn't quite capture on the record. My Body Is A Cage is fucking monumental song to see happening... but on the record it's just kind of strange and lost.

Still, I wouldn't give that album up, and it remains my favourite from last year. Still gets a lot of rotation on my MP3 player.

Alright guys I'll try one more time without being an idiot on here. Can someone please tell me what makes this band so great? If you see my first post on AF I do give them props on their live shows. I enjoyed the live show at coachella.

Everyone that posts on this thread just gives some vague answer like "oh it is such a spiritual experience to listen to their music" or this album is one of the best ever. Oh they act kooky but thats a good thing. They use misc instruments.

Can someone with a excellent taste in music break this band down for me?

Please don't respond saying something as stupid as Sonic said...something to the effect that if I had to ask why they are so great then I will never get it.

Look if you go to coachella for the most part it says something about your taste and appreciation for music. Fuck Im sure I know more about certain genres of music than some of you and likewise.

Please give me a break down on why this band out of ALL bands in the last ten years seems to be the greatest

that is all....

quicksand
03-26-2008, 07:30 PM
waaaait a second.... radiohead44? arcadefire33? SHOW YOURSELF

Sonicifyouwantit
03-26-2008, 10:41 PM
Alright guys I'll try one more time without being an idiot on here. Can someone please tell me what makes this band so great? If you see my first post on AF I do give them props on their live shows. I enjoyed the live show at coachella.

Everyone that posts on this thread just gives some vague answer like "oh it is such a spiritual experience to listen to their music" or this album is one of the best ever. Oh they act kooky but thats a good thing. They use misc instruments.

Can someone with a excellent taste in music break this band down for me?

Please don't respond saying something as stupid as Sonic said...something to the effect that if I had to ask why they are so great then I will never get it.

Look if you go to coachella for the most part it says something about your taste and appreciation for music. Fuck Im sure I know more about certain genres of music than some of you and likewise.

Please give me a break down on why this band out of ALL bands in the last ten years seems to be the greatest

that is all....

haha no you say stupid no you say stupid weeeeeeeee

braundiggity
03-26-2008, 10:52 PM
I'll give it a shot, dnb, but since I'm too lazy to look and see if this has been asked, what kind of music do you like? Top 5 or 10 artists? Let me know that, and I'll try to frame my explanation of why they're amazing around what you already like.

Sonicifyouwantit
03-26-2008, 10:58 PM
Honestly I dont even try to ask people to explain a band I dont get. Ive learned no matter what they throw at me its still just their opinion. If I dont get or want to get a band I just wont. It may be a year or two later that I hear something in the music that connects and then I like them. That may never happen with some bands. Its just impossible to look for objective facts pertaining to such a subjective issue. There is no situation where someone can lay down all the facts to prove a group is great, because they arent facts they are subjective opinions.

dnbmunke
03-27-2008, 11:05 AM
I'll give it a shot, dnb, but since I'm too lazy to look and see if this has been asked, what kind of music do you like? Top 5 or 10 artists? Let me know that, and I'll try to frame my explanation of why they're amazing around what you already like.

I like all types of music from alternative to hip hop, EDM....

to make this easier I'll shoot out some names of Rock/Alternative bands.

In no order whatsoever:

Modest Mouse
Nirvana
Flamming Lips
Brian Jonestown Massacre
Leonard Cohen
Radiohead
Wolf parade
LCD Soundsystem

Now I know these aren't the greatest bands but I can make a solid argument that any of these groups have an album just as good or better than AF has ever produced. I guess what I dont get is the fact that people are saying that AF has one of THE BEST ALBUMS EVER.

Thanks for your help

dnbmunke
03-27-2008, 11:09 AM
Honestly I dont even try to ask people to explain a band I dont get. Ive learned no matter what they throw at me its still just their opinion. If I dont get or want to get a band I just wont. It may be a year or two later that I hear something in the music that connects and then I like them. That may never happen with some bands. Its just impossible to look for objective facts pertaining to such a subjective issue. There is no situation where someone can lay down all the facts to prove a group is great, because they arent facts they are subjective opinions.

I agree with you on that Sonic. I like how everyone on here uses "subjective" and "objective" reminds me of a Simpsons episode where Krusty is in a board meeting and someone uses the word "proactive" and then someone says "thats a word people use to sound smart."

I can understand your point because I can tell you that this band is the greatest because of my personal taste and opinion of that band. Likewise you can also prove your point. My problem is that people are giving them too much credit. By saying they have one of the best albums ever people are overlooking almost every single band that has been around for almost the last 50 years (of rock music) that I just cant except.

faxman75
03-27-2008, 11:19 AM
Funeral is, without a doubt in my mind, the best album I've ever owned.

Statements like that are why threads like this exist.

Funeral is a fantastic and wonderful album. It makes me wonder what the rest of your collection includes. It looks like a an overstatement from here though.

thestripe
03-27-2008, 11:26 AM
Wolf parade....

Now I know these aren't the greatest bands but I can make a solid argument that any of these groups have an album just as good or better than AF has ever produced.........

Thanks for your help

Let's hear that solid argument.

MeowMixer
03-27-2008, 11:32 AM
First song i heard: Neighborhood #3. Right before tickets went on sale for
COACHELLA 2005. They aren't that new of a band. Neighborhood #3 roxx.

MeowMixer
03-27-2008, 11:33 AM
btw, funeral is better than neon bible.

quicksand
03-27-2008, 12:34 PM
I like all types of music from alternative to hip hop, EDM....

to make this easier I'll shoot out some names of Rock/Alternative bands.

In no order whatsoever:

Modest Mouse
Nirvana
Flamming Lips
Brian Jonestown Massacre
Leonard Cohen
Radiohead
Wolf parade
LCD Soundsystem

Now I know these aren't the greatest bands but I can make a solid argument that any of these groups have an album just as good or better than AF has ever produced. I guess what I dont get is the fact that people are saying that AF has one of THE BEST ALBUMS EVER.

Thanks for your help

I like all but 2 of those bands. In fact, Modest Mouse was my favorite until "Funeral" came along. Funeral > Everything Modest Mouse has done... INCLUDING THE MOON AND ANTARCTICA YES I SAID IT WHAT

PotVsKtl
03-27-2008, 01:03 PM
What the fuck does this have to do with the lineup? Delete. Shut up. Go to hell. Die there. Suck a dick. Suck twelve. Choke and expire.

Sonicifyouwantit
03-27-2008, 01:07 PM
I agree with you on that Sonic. I like how everyone on here uses "subjective" and "objective" reminds me of a Simpsons episode where Krusty is in a board meeting and someone uses the word "proactive" and then someone says "thats a word people use to sound smart."

I can understand your point because I can tell you that this band is the greatest because of my personal taste and opinion of that band. Likewise you can also prove your point. My problem is that people are giving them too much credit. By saying they have one of the best albums ever people are overlooking almost every single band that has been around for almost the last 50 years (of rock music) that I just cant except.

Yeah, I dont claim they are the greatest I just think they have relevance at this time. Even U2 became irrelevant eventually. That said I cant go into a band thinking, oh this band is gonna suck one day, I mean that just takes out all the fun and meaning at the time.

MissingPerson
03-27-2008, 01:17 PM
waaaait a second.... radiohead44? arcadefire33? SHOW YOURSELF

lmao..

faxman75
03-27-2008, 02:09 PM
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/faxman75/faxvegas.jpg?t=1206655420

dnbmunke
03-27-2008, 08:07 PM
Yeah, I dont claim they are the greatest I just think they have relevance at this time. Even U2 became irrelevant eventually. That said I cant go into a band thinking, oh this band is gonna suck one day, I mean that just takes out all the fun and meaning at the time.

Very true my friend.

Last thing I have to say on this thread is this....

You want to talk about an amazing performer, producer, singer, artist?
I can't believe I left Manu Chao out. You want to talk amazing and on a different level. Pick up Proxima Estacion Esperanza. It came out about 2000-2001.

Now here is a guy who knows how to speak 5 languages...I believe they are: English, Spanish, French, Portugese, and Arabic. This album IMO of course, is one of the best albums in recent memory. The way the music is composed just boggles my mind. This guy uses everything from bongos, trumpets, flutes, banjos, etc. Not only that the songs he writes in various languages are on point and very eloquent. On top of all that he mixes the whole album to sound like one whole track. To top that off his live performances are nothing like his albums. Live his music is fast paced and energetic.

Now how is that not comparable or better to AF?

I don't want to beat a dead horse just saying....be more careful on how you describe a band and have something to back it up. AF is a decent band and I enjoy them live. The greatest? We'll see about that.

eskomo one
03-28-2008, 12:02 PM
arcade fire.. is a really good band. funeral is my favorite album of theirs, but its all about the live show. i was there when they played their first coachella and the feelings i got while watching them were the kind that change your life ha. it was so intense! i dont know about last coachella fest. it was lacking something. i was really disapointed in them when neon bible came out. i just cant describe that feeling i felt when everyone in the crowd sang along. most bands leave me feeling like whatever, i play alot of music and when i watch bands i just see them as another band. arcade fire was way different. if anybody was there for their first appearance and coachell they know exactly what im talking about

Sonicifyouwantit
03-28-2008, 12:04 PM
I was there for both coach shows as well. The 2005 set had a new exciting energy to it, I loved the 2007 set but it was much more professional not quite as raw. Still when I heard Intervention for the first time and also when they played it in 2007, man, chills.

canexplain
03-28-2008, 12:05 PM
in one of our local rags, each year they have the "best of" for last year, the best concert they picked was arcade fire and lcd at red rocks ... someone out here sure likes them ....x****

Sonicifyouwantit
03-28-2008, 12:07 PM
I wanted to see their hollywood bowl show with LCD because I missed their Greek theater show, but I had seen them both at coachella and just saw lcd at el rey before that...

humanoid
03-28-2008, 01:53 PM
btw, funeral is better than neon bible.

by miles and miles+

send me ctrpllrs
03-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Neon Bible is great too though. I went to the Hollywood Bowl show. Those songs were all amazing live. Much more enjoyable than Coachella '07.

Sonicifyouwantit
03-29-2008, 07:35 PM
by miles and miles+

its one of those albums that take a few listens to understand. Same thing happened with wincing the night away by Shins...I really didnt like it at first but kept listening. Eventually I realized I was craving listening to it. now its my favorite shins album

MissingPerson
03-30-2008, 04:50 PM
Very true my friend.

Last thing I have to say on this thread is this....

You want to talk about an amazing performer, producer, singer, artist?
I can't believe I left Manu Chao out. You want to talk amazing and on a different level. Pick up Proxima Estacion Esperanza. It came out about 2000-2001.

Now here is a guy who knows how to speak 5 languages...I believe they are: English, Spanish, French, Portugese, and Arabic. This album IMO of course, is one of the best albums in recent memory. The way the music is composed just boggles my mind. This guy uses everything from bongos, trumpets, flutes, banjos, etc. Not only that the songs he writes in various languages are on point and very eloquent. On top of all that he mixes the whole album to sound like one whole track. To top that off his live performances are nothing like his albums. Live his music is fast paced and energetic.

Now how is that not comparable or better to AF?

I don't want to beat a dead horse just saying....be more careful on how you describe a band and have something to back it up. AF is a decent band and I enjoy them live. The greatest? We'll see about that.

This sounds kinda like you're assuming none of us have heard or heard of Manu Chao. I like Manu Chao, lots of respect, but I still like Arcade Fire better.

I never get tired of them. Every time I hear Laika, it feels like the first time I've ever heard it, and it's awesome. I still get giddy when I hear the first few notes of Tunnels. Not because it's my favourite song or anything, but because it's the start of Funeral, and that means there's good times ahead. Something like Annee Sans Lumiere, I probably wouldn't listen to on it's own, but where it lives on the album it's just perfect.

Neon Bible is more like that. Funeral is a monumental album in one piece, but you can still pick up a song like Power Out on it's own, and it rocks the shop. Neon Bible... you can't really do that, bar maybe No Cars Go. It's a bit more moody and strange, but I do think people give it a hard time just because it doesn't make them feel as good as it's older brother, which is a little unfair.

Thematically it doesn't shy away from either the good or the bad, there's a lot going on in there. Funeral sounds ecstatic and escapist on first listen, but it's got a really dark, scary vein going through it - Haiti is the bounciest song about genocide you'll ever hear. Then on the other hand, Neon Bible initially sounds really desolate and bleak, but a few listens in, there's a defiant thing going on too. Bad shit is happening in those songs, but everybody's still clinging on to something.

In brief - I like their music because it rocks hard without being dumb. It's not snobby about it's influences, but at the same time it isn't blatantly taking something that's been done before and then running with it. And it leaves me with mild, but not wholly unpleasant chest pains.

tayrho
04-01-2008, 08:58 AM
okay.

i need to vent here because i have a million friends that are always telling me how amazing arcade fire is and win butler is a god and blah blah fuckity fuck.

arcade fire is good. they are not a bad band. i saw the set at coachella 05 and it was good. a lot of good surrounding this band.

HOWEVER, arcade fire will never be the amazing mass of energy that everyone i know seems to think that they are. they're not really pushing any envelopes and the music they make isn't really anything new and exciting to my ears. i wish people would let them be the band that they are and stop pegging them as gods of indie rock or whatever the fuck.

radiohead are the only gods in my head.

MissingPerson
04-01-2008, 12:23 PM
See, I kinda feel like that about Radiohead... I like them a lot, but I don't get the Godhood thing.

Robototron
04-01-2008, 01:18 PM
So I haven't read a single post in this thread, but apparently I post too much in Justice threads. So I'll say that the Arcade Fire is massively overrated, Funeral was kind of bad and Neon Bible was worse, and AF is basically everything I hate about cookie cutter, Pitchfork-hyped, Indie rock.

Also I think that in ten years no one will really care bout them all that much, except the types of people who probably still love In the Aeroplane Over the Sea and other totally boring, overrated, indie "classics."

MissingPerson
04-01-2008, 02:21 PM
lmfao... Touché.

Sonicifyouwantit
04-02-2008, 12:05 PM
No I think they will be remembered in ten years because they are not the streamlined corporate cookie cutter band that you usually hear on kroq. Whether pitchfork adores them, fine, I dont care about that. I also like justice but people say the same thing about them too. oh well. I enjoy their records and live shows, there is nothing anyone can say to make me think I'm not enjoying them.

Robototron
04-02-2008, 02:03 PM
No I think they will be remembered in ten years because they are not the streamlined corporate cookie cutter band that you usually hear on kroq. Whether pitchfork adores them, fine, I dont care about that. I also like justice but people say the same thing about them too. oh well. I enjoy their records and live shows, there is nothing anyone can say to make me think I'm not enjoying them.

Uh, I said they were the streamlined cookie cutter INDIE band. See Vampire Weekend or any other boring shit currently hyped. At this point "indie" is basically the new alt and probably gets played all over KROQ, though, so it won't be long before more people put them in the same boat as Nickelback or whoever KROQ plays.

Also, whether Pitchfork adores them you don't care? You know that Pitchfork basically made their career, right? Sure, they were getting blog hype all over the place, but it wasn't until that 9.whatever that AF became anything more than your average buzz band.

MissingPerson
04-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Whether you groove with AF or not, I can objectively refute the Pitchfork thing once and for all. Pitchfork had absolutely no weight outside of North America until after Arcade Fire made their name. Nobody I know had even heard of it until then, and even now I only ever hear it mentioned in an AF context.

Arcade Fire, in my country at least, are the case study for genuine fan-to-fan buzz - going back to a particularly legendary festival show a few years back, and their first few shows here this year.

Electric Feel
04-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Uh, I said they were the streamlined cookie cutter INDIE band. See Vampire Weekend or any other boring shit currently hyped. At this point "indie" is basically the new alt and probably gets played all over KROQ, though, so it won't be long before more people put them in the same boat as Nickelback or whoever KROQ plays.

Also, whether Pitchfork adores them you don't care? You know that Pitchfork basically made their career, right? Sure, they were getting blog hype all over the place, but it wasn't until that 9.whatever that AF became anything more than your average buzz band.

AHAHAHAAAH i cannot even believe that you have the nerve associate arcade fire with vampire weekend and nickelback.. it's just a shame. Alone, Neighborhood #1 is a better song than anything that has or will come out of any of the bands you're thinking of. Plus, Arcade Fire is doing what they do for an entirely different reason than the overwhelming amount of cookie cutter indie bands that there are today. There is nothing they do that isn't for a reason..what they wear, what they say, how they perform, what they write-it all means something..they don't give a shit about hype. Furthermore, i can't think of an indie band in the world that could make so many of us fans feel the way we do when we hear and see arcade fire. I dunno, maybe they look and hear rediculous to many people, but it's truly in the high that I get from them..i don't think it's a feeling that can really be learned-either you have it or you don't. Maybe one can learn to appreciate their music more, but for some of us, it's different-and that is what makes arcade fire so special and set apart from the parade of indie bands rolling in as I write this.

Sonicifyouwantit
04-02-2008, 06:01 PM

yes, I know you said they were. Im saying they are not. I dont compare them to vampire weekend and I think Intervention is a great song. They got big on Kroq primarily from Chris Martin asking why they didnt play more of them while being interviewed on kroq. After that kroq started playing their music much more. I didnt learn about them from pitchfork though, thats why im saying I dont care what pitchfork said. You can call it what ever you like, to me AF is nothing like Nickleback, thats just my feeling.

Whether you groove with AF or not, I can objectively refute the Pitchfork thing once and for all. Pitchfork had absolutely no weight outside of North America until after Arcade Fire made their name. Nobody I know had even heard of it until then, and even now I only ever hear it mentioned in an AF context.

Arcade Fire, in my country at least, are the case study for genuine fan-to-fan buzz - going back to a particularly legendary festival show a few years back, and their first few shows here this year.

I groove with them!

Robototron
04-02-2008, 06:17 PM

Oh, yes, it’s TOTALLY believable that Pitchfork was TOTALLY unknown until the Arcade Fire got them big!
Maybe in your country, God knows where that is, Pitchfork hasn’t been popular until recently, but here in the US/Canada, where most of the AF hype originated from, Pitchfork has been the premier indie tastemaker for years now. Long before Funeral was released and they made it the best album ever.
I’m curious, what year was this “legendary” festival show? Because unless it was before 04, I’m sorry to say that most of the hype surrounding AF in ANY country was probably just trickling down from the Pfork bandwagon.

AHAHAHAAAH i cannot even believe that you have the nerve associate arcade fire with vampire weekend and nickelback.. it's just a shame. Alone, Neighborhood #1 is a better song than anything that has or will come out of any of the bands you're thinking of. Plus, Arcade Fire is doing what they do for an entirely different reason than the overwhelming amount of cookie cutter indie bands that there are today. There is nothing they do that isn't for a reason..what they wear, what they say, how they perform, what they write-it all means something..they don't give a shit about hype. Furthermore, i can't think of an indie band in the world that could make so many of us fans feel the way we do when we hear and see arcade fire. I dunno, maybe they look and hear rediculous to many people, but it's truly in the high that I get from them..i don't think it's a feeling that can really be learned-either you have it or you don't. Maybe one can learn to appreciate their music more, but for some of us, it's different-and that is what makes arcade fire so special and set apart from the parade of indie bands rolling in as I write this.

I think if you’d replaced Arcade Fire with Vampire Weekend and Neighborhood #1 with, I don’t know, Oxford Comma or something, you’d probably be describing them, or any other indie buzz band, pretty accurately. This whole post really did nothing to convince me of anything other than that you’re an AF fanboy.

yes, I know you said they were. Im saying they are not. I dont compare them to vampire weekend and I think Intervention is a great song. They got big on Kroq primarily from Chris Martin asking why they didnt play more of them while being interviewed on kroq. After that kroq started playing their music much more. I didnt learn about them from pitchfork though, thats why im saying I dont care what pitchfork said. You can call it what ever you like, to me AF is nothing like Nickleback, thats just my feeling.

You didn’t learn about them from Pitchfork, but guess what? The friend/blog/magazine/whatever you heard about them from did. It’s ridiculous that people STILL underestimate Pitchfork’s influence on indie, even after several years of dominating indie “culture” on the internet almost entirely.

Sonicifyouwantit
04-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Hey Im just sayin like what you like its cool with me. What do you say to all the justice haters? Im not going to turn my back on something that I like because there is a paper trail back to a website that reviews records. Even if that website raves about lame records. Sometimes organizations we dont like (in this case pitchfork) attaches themselves to things we do like, thats just the way it goes.

I saw their record at a store and sampled some songs. I liked what I heard and bought it. Thats how I learned about them. I then showed the album to maybe two or three friends. Next thing I know they are being played on the radio but I was glad they played coachella 2005 and I really thought it had a great energy to it. Granted I thought Butlers voice was not too good but that has improved and during their 2007 set it was noticably better.

Robototron
04-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Hey Im just sayin like what you like its cool with me. What do you say to all the justice haters? Im not going to turn my back on something that I like because there is a paper trail back to a website that reviews records. Even if that website raves about lame records. Sometimes organizations we dont like (in this case pitchfork) attaches themselves to things we do like, thats just the way it goes.

I'm not saying you should, I just don't see why people are so quick to refute that Pitchfork had a hand in getting them famous. I think people's reluctance to admit it says a lot more about Pfork's influence than anything else, really. If Pfork weren't so popular you wouldn't have people (not you, necessarily, but lots of other AF fans) so defensive about them breaking AF into the mainstream.

Sonicifyouwantit
04-02-2008, 06:41 PM
I'm not saying you should, I just don't see why people are so quick to refute that Pitchfork had a hand in getting them famous. I think people's reluctance to admit it says a lot more about Pfork's influence than anything else, really. If Pfork weren't so popular you wouldn't have people (not you, necessarily, but lots of other AF fans) so defensive about them breaking AF into the mainstream.

ah, yeah Im not refuting it Im just saying there were other factors to their success. Trust me man Im no fan of pitch either.

dnbmunke
04-02-2008, 07:17 PM
So I haven't read a single post in this thread, but apparently I post too much in Justice threads. So I'll say that the Arcade Fire is massively overrated, Funeral was kind of bad and Neon Bible was worse, and AF is basically everything I hate about cookie cutter, Pitchfork-hyped, Indie rock.

Also I think that in ten years no one will really care bout them all that much, except the types of people who probably still love In the Aeroplane Over the Sea and other totally boring, overrated, indie "classics."

Dammit you guys made me come back to this thread.

I endorse the post above 100% In ten years AF will be remembered as the Dave Matthews Band of our time.

Look you guys seem to jock all these bands that come out in SPIN magazine and all these indie media outlets. Look at the hip hop thread....people on this messageboard actually think REAL hip hop is being represented this year at coachella!

To the people that say "well AF obviously is a great band look at how many people love them".....

I think Immortal Technique said it best and I quote " and just because your album goes platinum it has nothing to do with talent or luck, it just means a million people are stupid as fuck!"

nuff said

Sonicifyouwantit
04-03-2008, 01:46 AM
that only works in the right context, stop trying to hate so much. AF have nothing to do with dave mathews or nickelback.

tayrho
04-03-2008, 08:57 AM
whoa.

arcade fire may have nothing to do with vampire weekend or dave matthews or fucking nickelback but that doesn't change the fact that they are overrated. just like vampire weekend, dave matthews and... i guess nickelback.

i'm not saying that arcade fire isn't a good band that doesn't deserve any amount of success but they're not led zeppelin. they're a rock band from canada that makes run of the mill indie rock. done and done. so i guess really what IS so great about arcade fire?? the fact that some guy named win is in the band? or maybe they're so great because they act all nutty on stage. who knows. to me they're a good band on par with rogue wave or maybe band of horses.

with that all i have left to say is, fuck pitchfork. i'm not going to say that i would be the best music critic in the world but... goddamn. pitchfork has ruined so many lives... cocks.

Sonicifyouwantit
04-03-2008, 12:06 PM
For me the thing that sets them apart is that they are unified in their message, what ever theirs songs message may be. You see all these people on stage with the same intent. Its kind of like watching the E street band, you could say whats so great about them. Its just blues rock with some piano ballads thrown in there, but there is an energy between all those players that the audience feeds off. Its a unified spirit on stage not just a garage rock band trying to play loud and fast. Now that doesnt make arcade fire godhead or e street but it does set them apart for the time being. Thats why I would set them apart from vampire who makes cute songs but not that emotionally stirring.

dnham
04-05-2008, 02:39 PM
radiohead are the only gods in my head.

Yup.