PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Surgery

Benis23
11-22-2007, 08:41 PM
I've just been reading about how kanye west's mom died as a result of having plastic surgery with some hack surgeon, and I saw an episode of larry king recently about plastic surgery, and I'm curious what the people on this board think about it.

I'm a little undecided about the issue myself. I basically think that some procedures are always a bad idea (face lifts, botox, maybe liposuction), but under the right conditions, some procedures may be helpful (possibly rhinoplasty).

I'm making this a poll but I'd like to hear people's opinions too.

captncrzy
11-22-2007, 08:48 PM
http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/redir?src=image&clickedItemURN=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm2.static.flickr.co m%2F1251%2F578251430_d6d67603dc.jpg&moduleId=image_details.jsp.M&clickedItemDescription=Image Details

http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/redir?src=image&clickedItemURN=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hyperorg.com%2Fblo gger%2Fimages%2Fmjackson.jpg&moduleId=image_details.jsp.M&clickedItemDescription=Image Details

http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/redir?src=image&clickedItemURN=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.plasticized.com%2F images%2Ftwinsunleashed.jpg&moduleId=image_details.jsp.M&clickedItemDescription=Image Details

http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/redir?src=image&clickedItemURN=http%3A%2F%2Fz.about.com%2Fd%2Freal itytv%2F1%2F0%2Fb%2FY%2Fbruce.jpg&moduleId=image_details.jsp.M&clickedItemDescription=Image Details

'nuff said

RotationSlimWang
11-22-2007, 08:51 PM
You need to change the poll to include a qualification for plastic surgery to correct a legitimate deformity.

Otherwise, the answer is never.

Benis23
11-22-2007, 08:59 PM
RSW,

would you consider obesity or a broken nose as things that are okay to correct through plastic surgery?

and, I don't think I can edit the poll once I've made it.

Mr.Nipples
11-22-2007, 09:01 PM
http://www.etudiants.phy.ulaval.ca/~pystl/Dead_Kennedys/Plastic.jpg

captncrzy
11-22-2007, 09:05 PM
RSW,

would you consider obesity or a broken nose as things that are okay to correct through plastic surgery?

and, I don't think I can edit the poll once I've made it.

No, seriously, those aren't deformities. A deformity is a little kid being born with no face; eating too many pizzas and twinkies or getting their nose broken in a bar fight doesn't qualify as a deformity.

RotationSlimWang
11-22-2007, 09:06 PM
No, I consider clubfoot a deformity. Or facial reconstructive surgery. Or Paris Hilton's eye.

Neutral Milk Hotel
11-22-2007, 09:12 PM
You need to change the poll to include a qualification for plastic surgery to correct a legitimate deformity.

Truth.

Hannahrain
11-22-2007, 10:51 PM
I'm with RotationSlimRandall on this one. If you've been in an accident and want your face put back into the shape of a face instead of the shape of a bowl of spaghetti, plastic surgery is totally acceptable. Or if you've got one eye or three eyes and you'd rather have just the two. That sort of thing is OK. Otherwise, no.

Edit. By the way, when I wrote this, I was thinking of close friends and family. I don't really care what strangers do.

goodgrl
11-22-2007, 11:54 PM
I have thought about it and considered it.
I think I would have some work done when I am older
and done having babies.

comiddle
11-23-2007, 12:01 AM
If it'll make the person happy then I'm all for it.
I support every form of body modification from stupid haircuts to fake tits.
I don't see any reason why a person shouldn't do it if it's what they want.

It's nobody's place to tell me what I should and shouldn't do with my body in any way, shape or form.

I'm going to get boobs.

amyzzz
11-23-2007, 11:14 AM
I agree with Randy.

Courtney
11-23-2007, 12:38 PM
I don't think I would personally ever have plastic surgery, and find it generally somewhat distasteful, but I respect that each person has domain over their own body and can do with it as they wish.

This is barring reconstructive or corrective surgery for accidents and deformities, of course. I agree with Randy there.

luckyface
11-26-2007, 12:36 PM
No, seriously, those aren't deformities. A deformity is a little kid being born with no face; eating too many pizzas and twinkies or getting their nose broken in a bar fight doesn't qualify as a deformity.

A broken nose where you fuck up your septum, thus altering your breathing ability, is not worthy of being corrected?

I love the general determination of what is acceptable and what is not.

algunz
11-26-2007, 02:48 PM
http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/redir?src=image&clickedItemURN=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.plasticized.com%2F images%2Ftwinsunleashed.jpg&moduleId=image_details.jsp.M&clickedItemDescription=Image Details

I believe this "lady" is currently pregnant. I think that's really scary!!!

amyzzz
11-26-2007, 04:46 PM
A broken nose where you fuck up your septum, thus altering your breathing ability, is not worthy of being corrected?

When I was 3 years old my babysitter hung me up on a jungle gym bar so she could tie my shoes. I fell off, hit the ground, and my two front teeth fell out. We discovered from my orthodontist 13 years later that during that incident I had also broken my nose, and I couldn't have any orthodontic work until my nose got fixed. I had the surgery when I was 19--for 16 years of my life I had to breathe through a broken nose, so I always had the sniffles and had tons on allergies. I also sucked my thumb until I was 10 because it helped me breathe through my mouth at night since I couldn't breathe well through my nose (hence the need for orthodontic work). Once my nose got fixed, I was fine. I got braces after that and fixed my teeth. A happy, expensive end to my story. Too bad my parents couldn't/didn't sue that babysitter or something.

ElmoX
11-26-2007, 04:48 PM
What does this have to do with Coachella? haha

Alchemy
11-26-2007, 04:58 PM
What does this have to do with Coachella? haha

You're in the Non-Coachella Discussion. Hmm...

It is crazy that the really ugly lady used to look like this:
http://www.awfulplasticsurgery.com/images/wildenstein_before.jpg

clarky123
11-26-2007, 05:24 PM
SpgzXMZbeBE

bballarl
11-26-2007, 05:54 PM
The fact Michael Jackson can grow facial hair is astonishing.

captncrzy
11-26-2007, 05:57 PM

That's a good point, however, I think the question was stemming from a vanity perspective rather than medical necessity.

I believe this "lady" is currently pregnant. I think that's really scary!!!

Really? I thought that was a (former) dude. I'm seeing an Adam's Apple.

The fact Michael Jackson can grow facial hair is astonishing.

Maybe he shaved his pubes and glued them to his face.

RotationSlimWang
11-26-2007, 06:00 PM
You can't change the qualification of "broken nose" to "broken nose with a deviated septum" and then get all fucking j'accuse about our determination. When you just say "broken nose" it makes it sound like it's cosmetic surgery, which is what the determination really is--if you have a FUCKING MEDICAL PROBLEM then it's not PLASTIC surgery.

Fuckheads.

luckyface
11-26-2007, 06:05 PM
You can't change the qualification of "broken nose" to "broken nose with a deviated septum" and then get all fucking j'accuse about our determination. When you just say "broken nose" it makes it sound like it's cosmetic surgery, which is what the determination really is--if you have a FUCKING MEDICAL PROBLEM then it's not PLASTIC surgery.

Fuckheads.

Of course not all broken noses will be for cosmetic sake. Who changed qualifications?

And I know multiple people who had to have septum work done. Who operated on them? Plastic surgeons. If they have to reshape your nose to help with breathing, then isn't that plastic surgery?

amyzzz
11-26-2007, 06:09 PM
It's plastic surgery if the doctor throws in reshaping the nose at the same time as fixing the deviated septum.

luckyface
11-26-2007, 06:11 PM
That's a good point, however, I think the question was stemming from a vanity perspective rather than medical necessity.

Then I think a better case can be made for thinking it is unnecessary. But at the same time, I think that if someone is that down upon some body part that it adversely impacts her life, than why should she not? In the end, how does it impact your life? If it will allow the person to not have the body part focused on, if it makes her happy enough to focus on other things, what's the harm?

I do think plastic surgeons that operate on the people who had their pictures shown should be ashamed of themselves. I don't get how either the doctors or the people who had it done could think that it turned out successful.

RotationSlimWang
11-26-2007, 06:14 PM
A deviated septum is a physical deformity that impairs the function of your body. That's a legitimate reason. I suppose you can be let off the hook for the vanity of a nose job in the process because, after all, you're having your nose operated on and they have to put it back together somehow so they might as well put it back together less ugly. What we're really talking about is whether or not cosmetic surgery is alright, not plastic surgery, 'cause plastic surgery covers all kinds of shit and you goddamn well know what the difference being discussed is, Lucky.

RotationSlimWang
11-26-2007, 06:22 PM
Then I think a better case can be made for thinking it is unnecessary. But at the same time, I think that if someone is that down upon some body part that it adversely impacts her life, than why should she not? In the end, how does it impact your life? If it will allow the person to not have the body part focused on, if it makes her happy enough to focus on other things, what's the harm?

Ask Kanye, he might have a theory for you.

luckyface
11-26-2007, 06:26 PM
Ask Kanye, he might have a theory for you.

Well obviously, besides the risk that comes with any medical procedure. Come on, you know I meant from a moral perspective.

RotationSlimWang
11-26-2007, 06:28 PM
Moral? There's nothing moral about it. Although one could make an argument that risking your life--and thereby putting your loved ones at chance for having to bury you--all in the name of vanity is a serious moral deficiency.

One could also make an argument that anyone who's so wrapped up in their physical appearance that they would take such a chance is lacking is basic character, judgment, et cetera.

luckyface
11-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Perhaps you could make that argument, and you would not be wrong.

Or perhaps you could look at it in the sense that someone who was ridiculed for their appearance her entire life by others, someone who might not be as strong as you, would do something to derail her life.

I guess I am coming at this from a different perspective, but I think there is a difference between wanting to have work done just to look hotter or whatever and doing something to just blend in and not stick out. Maybe the person wouldn't be so concerned with vanity if she wasn't reminded every day of her life how freakish or inadequate she looked. That's just my take on it.

With that said, I do not disagree with you when it comes to those who want to upgrade from a B cup to a D cup or someone who would rather not work out so she gets liposuction.

captncrzy
11-26-2007, 06:50 PM
I wonder how many surgeries are done for vanity versus than out of medical necessity/serious deformity. Let's face it, Michael Jackson didn't have a serious "deformity" (his nose wasn't missing. It is now, of course).

My point is, that if you have a really big ass nose and want to get it fixed to "feel better about yourself", than your problem is actually bigger than your nose. There are therapists for that.

RotationSlimWang
11-26-2007, 07:09 PM
Lucky, who in the world are you referring to? You seem to have a very specific, very ugly female in mind. Fill me in.

luckyface
11-26-2007, 07:26 PM
If you must know, it is brokendoll.

BROKENDOLL
11-26-2007, 07:40 PM
Perhaps using the term "arrogant" earlier was my faux paus and I asked for this. Truthfully, I make no claim to beauty, or even cuteness. I will say I'm comfortable with myself and my looks at my age as well as the knowledge that you can't tell a book by it's cover...True beauty comes from within, but then neither of you would have a clue about that.

BROKENDOLL
11-26-2007, 07:47 PM
I'd rather be ugly with an open mind and a kind heart then gorgeous with shit for brains.

RotationSlimWang
11-26-2007, 08:01 PM
Listen guys, I mean I'm speaking from a unique position of judgment being one of the "beautiful people."

What's the rest of your excuses? I've seen the rest of that picture thread--ain't one of you that doesn't qualify as needing reconstruction. =)

goodgrl
11-26-2007, 09:18 PM
I'd rather be ugly with an open mind and a kind heart then gorgeous with shit for brains.

WOW! Nicely put.

algunz
11-26-2007, 09:26 PM
I have friends, family, and acquaintences who have gone under the knife for all of the above reasons (I live in the OC remember) - noses, boobs, eyes, lipo etc - and what I have gathered is that it's only a problem when the surgery truly changes who you are. Unfortunately, you can't always forsee that prior to the changes.

I don't think I'd ever do it though because the idea of having your skin seperated from my body freaks me the fuck out.

kitt kat
11-26-2007, 09:29 PM
i've always said plastuc surgery is only OK if you have a life affecting deformity or are horribly magled in an accident of some sort and need reconstructive surgery.

SojuGorae
11-26-2007, 10:40 PM
g8w8ine7tjc

bmack86
11-26-2007, 10:50 PM
I don't think I'd ever do it though because the idea of having your skin seperated from my body freaks me the fuck out.

Where'd you get my skin?

I support plastic surgery only if it makes people look beautiful people. Ugly people can take a hike. That's why we have caves.

fatbastard
11-26-2007, 11:02 PM
http://bestweekever.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/burt_reynolds.jpg

SojuGorae
11-27-2007, 03:14 AM
"I'll take uh... ape tits for 300"

amyzzz
11-27-2007, 01:09 PM
Y'all are really judgmental.

Benis23
11-27-2007, 01:33 PM
For the people who think that plastic surgery should only be performed to correct a deformity, is your reasoning for that that (a) people should accept and like their appearance without having to rely on surgery or (b) the surgery is dangerous?

PotVsKtl
11-27-2007, 01:41 PM
I had diamonds implanted under my skin to act as an amplifying relay for the messages that are made available to my body.

J~$$$
11-27-2007, 01:50 PM
That is also a wonderful way to ward off corrosion.

SFChrissy
11-27-2007, 02:06 PM

Unless you have breastcancer and you feel like a freak with an obscure fold of skin without a nipple where your supple breast used to be...

SFChrissy
11-27-2007, 02:07 PM
I had diamonds implanted under my skin to act as an amplifying relay for the messages that are made available to my body.

Sounds like this guy I used to play with that had pearls implanted up and around the shaft of his cock...

PotVsKtl
11-27-2007, 02:08 PM
That shaft? What shafts are we excluding here?

captncrzy
11-27-2007, 02:17 PM
If you must know, it is brokendoll.

+10

For the people who think that plastic surgery should only be performed to correct a deformity, is your reasoning for that that (a) people should accept and like their appearance without having to rely on surgery or (b) the surgery is dangerous?

I guess I just despise the a) fakeness of it and b) the "blase" attitude people seem to have about it. It's so "routine" and when things become routine, they become dangerous. Gee, I have a C cup and I need to go to a D cup so I can increase my tips....they don't realize how many risks are involved in going through a surgery.

SFChrissy
11-27-2007, 02:20 PM
That shaft? What shafts are we excluding here?

I hate when I do that...it's usually when someone is walking into my office just before the screen goes down...

RotationSlimWang
11-27-2007, 03:11 PM
Unless you have breastcancer and you feel like a freak with an obscure fold of skin without a nipple where your supple breast used to be...

That would qualify as a deformity, dumbass. Titty deformities are the saddest of all.

BROKENDOLL
11-27-2007, 04:02 PM
Captcrzy~ +10 for my ugliness= +100 for your gorgeous shit for brains.

algunz
11-27-2007, 04:49 PM
Where'd you get my skin?

I keep it under my pillow and sniff it every night until I fall asleep.:winkiss

PotVsKtl
11-27-2007, 05:06 PM
It's the camphor.

Courtney
11-27-2007, 11:23 PM
Gee, I have a C cup and I need to go to a D cup so I can increase my tips....they don't realize how many risks are involved in going through a surgery.

On the plus side, they can get a tax deduction when they list it as a business expense.

captncrzy
11-28-2007, 07:42 AM
Not if they're dead.

Of course, if they're permanently deformed, they can write off all the medical expenses that are the result of the several surgeries they have to have later to fix it.....

TomAz
11-28-2007, 02:53 PM
I wonder how many surgeries are done for vanity versus than out of medical necessity/serious deformity.

11 million cosmetic surgeries in the US in 2006.

Also, check this out:

Within the U.S,. it is legal for any doctor, regardless of speciality, to perform cosmetic surgery. It is thus important to distinguish the terms "plastic surgery" and "cosmetic surgery": Plastic Surgery is recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties as the subspecialty dedicated to the surgical repair of defects of form or function -- this includes cosmetic (or aesthetic) surgery, as well as reconstructive surgery. The term "cosmetic surgery" however, refers to surgery that is designed to improve cosmetics, or appearance. In several countries including Australia, many doctors who are not qualified as surgeons also perform cosmetic procedures.

captncrzy
12-17-2007, 09:45 AM
http://img.perezhilton.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/aaorphea_407b1_jackson_npg_01__oPt.jpg

Melanie.Dawn
12-17-2007, 09:52 AM
In my opinion, you only live once. If getting a new nose or bigger boobs is gonna make your life happier, than what the hell? What difference does it make. We're all just gonna die anyway.

And I'm not saying that to be all depressive and whatever... it's just really how I think... about a lot of life. It actually makes me happier and want to do more with my life when I think that.

J~$$$
12-17-2007, 10:11 AM
what are you talking about?

A boob job makes you want to do more with your life?

Melanie.Dawn
12-17-2007, 10:16 AM

No, I'm presonally not interested in plastic surgery. My boobs do me just fine, thanks... I mean in general... who cares? And I wasn't saying plastic surgery makes me want to do more with my life... and I'm sure you know I wasn't saying that and you'r just trying to go out of your way to make me look stupid, but REGARDLESS... I meant the thought of how I'm going to die and nothings going to happen, I'm going to melt away into the ground... makes me want to do more... and whatever I want... with my life...
and if I wanted plastic surgery... then what the hell? Why should anyone be offended or care?

J~$$$
12-17-2007, 10:20 AM
damn why you get all aggro up in my face?

I just asked a question fah realz.

thelastgreatman
12-17-2007, 10:22 AM
In my opinion, you only live once. If getting a new nose or bigger boobs is gonna make your life happier, than what the hell? What difference does it make. We're all just gonna die anyway.

And I'm not saying that to be all depressive and whatever... it's just really how I think... about a lot of life. It actually makes me happier and want to do more with my life when I think that.

That's a brilliant piece of philosophy that can be used to justify... well, anything. Suppose raping little kids makes you happier? What difference does it make, all gonna die anyway. Fatalism removes any possibility of judgment.

Melanie.Dawn
12-17-2007, 10:31 AM
That's a brilliant piece of philosophy that can be used to justify... well, anything. Suppose raping little kids makes you happier? What difference does it make, all gonna die anyway. Fatalism removes any possibility of judgment.

Well, I guess you got me there.
Looks like it a good thing raping little kids isn't of my list of pleasures.

J~$$$
12-17-2007, 10:33 AM
But you are saying its okay for others to do?

thinnerair
12-17-2007, 10:37 AM
But you are saying its okay for others to do?

Kid Rape is so hot right now.

J~$$$
12-17-2007, 10:38 AM
Kid rape actually makes me happier and want to do more with my life when I think that.

thinnerair
12-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Kid rape actually makes me happier and want to do more with my life when I think that.

Follow your dreams, girlfriend.

BROKENDOLL
12-17-2007, 10:42 AM

No doubt,I think a boob job would allow me to do more with my boobs...:winkiss

BROKENDOLL
12-17-2007, 10:44 AM
Follow your dreams, girlfriend.
By quoting J~$$$, I actually thought that perhaps he had a boob job.

J~$$$
12-17-2007, 10:47 AM
To the haters,
the takers,
the liars,
some Coachella posters,
and the bottom feeding scumb....
The FCC,
the FBI,
and every tin god with a badge and a gun....
You talk the talk,
you preach and bitch,
but your words don't mean a thing....
You get what you give,
you give what you get,
Just the way it's always been.....

thinnerair
12-17-2007, 10:49 AM
To the haters,
the takers,
the liars,
some Coachella posters,
and the bottom feeding scumb....
The FCC,
the FBI,
and every tin god with a badge and a gun....
You talk the talk,
you preach and bitch,
but your words don't mean a thing....
You get what you give,
you give what you get,
Just the way it's always been.....

Every day is so wonderful
And suddenly, i saw debris
Now and then, I get insecure
From all the pain, I'm so ashamed

I am beautiful no matter what they say
Words can't bring me down
I am beautiful in every single way
Yes, words can't bring me down
So don't you bring me down today

BROKENDOLL
12-17-2007, 10:52 AM
J~$$$, are you angry about your boob job?

J~$$$
12-17-2007, 10:54 AM
You forgot to wish us to die.
But I'm sure that deep inside of your warped Mormon mind
you still do.
Not to worry...
I still forgive you..

J~$$$
12-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Every day is so wonderful
And suddenly, i saw debris
Now and then, I get insecure
From all the pain, I'm so ashamed

I am beautiful no matter what they say
Words can't bring me down
I am beautiful in every single way
Yes, words can't bring me down
So don't you bring me down today

She really speaks to my soul. I felt like she was singing that song to me. 8_)

BROKENDOLL
12-17-2007, 10:58 AM
Wouldn't that be something if all this time J~$$$ was an alias for Suffacated?

J~$$$
12-17-2007, 10:59 AM
itza me mario!

BROKENDOLL
12-17-2007, 11:01 AM
Itsa nota you, stupido...

kroqken
11-23-2008, 07:08 AM
The surgury that I would recommend if you can afford it and qualify is Lasix. Any excuse to have 20/20 or better vision and not have to wear glasses or contacts sounds marvelous. As for plastic surgury, I will probably get a nose job someday.