PDA

View Full Version : How it Started Thread

xXThirdManXx
11-20-2007, 03:23 AM
When and Why did you start posting here?

I started posting here in early 2004 at the young age of 13. I was always lurking since the day I found out that the White Stripes would play coachella back in 03' when I was an obsessed fan. Anyways, I signed up when I heard all the rumours of the craziest fucking lineup that would become Coachella 2004.

Post yours.

Steez
11-20-2007, 03:48 AM
I started here because xxthirdmanxx is a good friend and talked non stop about the forums, i started an account and fucked with people. then started this one a few weeks ago.

Steez
11-20-2007, 07:06 AM
oh yeah and i went to coachella 06 and 04

algunz
11-20-2007, 08:52 AM
I've been to every Coachella, but I didn't start up here until last year.

And now there's no goin' back.

Cpt. Funkaho
11-20-2007, 09:03 AM
I think I started posting because I wanted answers to camping questions that weren't covered by the FAQ.

As soon as I asked, I got yelled at by people who pointed out that my questions had been asked and answered in other threads (that were, of course, buried by then, since it was shortly after the lineup was released).

Cpt. Funkaho
11-20-2007, 09:04 AM
2007 was my first Coachella. I was going to go in 2001 but I couldn't get a ride. My life would have been very different if I had made it in 2001, in that I would have been to every year since then.

jennatalia
11-20-2007, 09:09 AM
i just kinda wanted to be friendly but a bunch of assholes shot me down!

thinnerair
11-20-2007, 09:11 AM
You'll get used to it. Nobody is nice here. Only in person. Except for Jack.

Yablonowitz
11-20-2007, 09:11 AM
No love for jennatalia. What has become of us?

RotationSlimWang
11-20-2007, 09:13 AM
I started posting here because the tickets sold out and i was pissed.

Then I realized you all needed me. It was love at first sight, erections all around.

Yabs, get a new sig already. That joke was tired the first time I left.

shakermaker113
11-20-2007, 09:14 AM
I would lurk just before the lineups would be announced. because while a lot of shit gets posted here, you can filter it out and get the accurate information as well. I don't remember when I started posting, or why. I think daft punk had something to do with it.

algunz
11-20-2007, 09:30 AM

And Ron!!

ShyGuy75
11-20-2007, 09:39 AM
I started posting here a couple of years ago because my therapist said it would be good for me to interact with other humans in order to get over my shyness. The project continues to this day...

Mr.Nipples
11-20-2007, 09:40 AM
I initially came here to troll the shit out of this board...

amyzzz
11-20-2007, 09:41 AM
Joined in 2004, started posting regularly in 2006. I've been to 99, 04, 05, 06, and 07.

psychic friend
11-20-2007, 09:43 AM
I initially came here to troll the shit out of this board...

hows that working out? because mr. nipples is a beloved personality here.

Mr.Nipples
11-20-2007, 10:07 AM
hows that working out? because mr. nipples is a beloved personality here.

I like it here, good people.

suprefan
11-20-2007, 10:08 AM
Lurking since 2003, started posting since 2005. 03, 04, 05, 06, 07 woot

marooko
11-20-2007, 10:17 AM
im just here to piss you off. and damn its pretty easy.

oh wait, also to read updates about coachella.

bmack86
11-20-2007, 10:20 AM
I posted first in 04 as soon as Pixies were announced. I got into an argument with Carey12345 on old board which made me leave until 2005 lineup was announced. There, Pot started talking about Olivia Tremor Control, who I checked out as a result. Because of the musical recommendations I got from here, I've been on and off ever since. The past two summers I posted regularly because I finally had a reliable internet connection.

PassiveTheory
11-20-2007, 11:11 AM
Lurked in 06, finally could afford 07, and joined right after the lineup was announced. I'll be back again in 08'.

fatbastard
11-20-2007, 11:15 AM
i just kinda wanted to be friendly but a bunch of assholes shot me down!

It's tough love in this arena schatzi. People will eventually turn for the better if you keep at it.

I started on this message board with the intent of being more aware of music.

We attended 2001 to see and hear good music. You know how you can look at a movie listing and tell that the movie is a dud? It is also easy to see when something good is about to happen. I seen the listing of bands i.e. money that was being put into this event and knew that someone was serious about creating a festival.

We walked out hopeful that whoever put the event together made enough money to do it again the following year.

A problem started happening every year after that. I always had a great time but when reading the papers the next day, it always seemed like I missed specific highlights of the show i.e. Radiohead and Daft Punk.

It's a long answer but it is what it is; I started posting on this board to avoid missing anymore highlights. It felt like time well invested this year when standing near right side of the stage for Justice.

Yablonowitz
11-20-2007, 11:36 AM
I was the first person to post on the Coachella message board. I also came up with the idea for it.

algunz
11-20-2007, 11:38 AM
Did you invent the internet too, Al?

marooko
11-20-2007, 11:58 AM
I was the first person to post on the Coachella message board. I also came up with the idea for it.

and hopefully one day, your head wil get so big it will explode.

rage patton
11-20-2007, 12:36 PM
I came here to find out more information about Coachella. Additions, set-times, camping info, general festival info, what bands I should check out, blah blah blah. '07 was my first year. I wanted to go in '05 and '06, but funds/school wouldnt allow it. I went to '07 and I decided there was NO WAY I am not going to '08.
Why did I stay here though? Why did I stay here... hmmm... well, I am a music guy. Music is my thing. This is a board full of my people, people who love music in general. I love how people around here have incredibly diverse tastes in music though. Coachella is different for everybody. Im sure there are some people here, where we both saw completely different Coachellas. And there are others here, I was probably shoulder to shoulder with the whole time. I have just learned a lot about music since I have been here. Ive even met some of you now, and they have all been awesome. I look forward to meeting more too.
It's a good place.

Wow... that sounded so cheesy. I feel like I should go save children from a burning orphanage right now. brb.

paulb
11-20-2007, 12:42 PM
I did the same Josh.

I signed up I think either a bit before or after the lineup was released, to find out who was rumored and find out about the additions, cause I heard Daft Punk and Massive Attack were added later, so I was expecting some big names...that never happened in 2007. Ill def be going back to Coachella every year no matter what. It was such an amazing experience.

SFChrissy
11-20-2007, 12:43 PM
Went to 04, 05, 06 and music god willing 07...for 06 I wanted to optimize my coachella weekend and started checking the board out...message boards were new to me and at that point had only frequented one other board so the peepz here totally abused me, schooled me and to a degree nurture me...

I love coachella, the board and all the wit that makes it what it is!!!

is this what an AA meeting feels like???

J~$$$
11-20-2007, 12:43 PM
RAGE!

rage patton
11-20-2007, 12:47 PM
RAGE!

Rage Against The Burning Orphanages!

JonnyM
11-20-2007, 09:51 PM
i started posting on the old board before the '05 coachella, then completely stopped.........but ever since robots descended into the sahara tent i havn't really left.........although i don't post much, i lurk like a mother fucker!

ThomThom
11-20-2007, 10:03 PM
I started posting here to get some camping questions answered when I realized that people were engaging in very interesting discussions with eachother, after that I was hooked. One thing this board does not have is a lack of interesting topics.

Been to Coachella '02 and '07.

gaypalmsprings
11-20-2007, 10:03 PM
I joined after an invitation from DeltaSigChi4. You remember him, don't you. Or maybe you don't. Anyways, I was trolling eBay when something popped up, on my screen. It was a man named E. & he lured me to the Coachella message board. The rest is history. So is Edwin. The end.

BROKENDOLL
11-20-2007, 11:51 PM
Let's see... In 99' I lived on the property of the venue so it was like the festival came to me. I didn't actually go into the fest, but I was able to chill out on my porch and listen. Three years later I worked at that little cantina on the side of the polo field (Campground) and scored a ticket for one of the days, which then exposed me to Coachella up close. I don't live onsite anymore, but I'm less than a 1/2 mile from it, and haven't missed a Coachella since then. As for the board here...It actually provided more imfo than anything local so I lurked silently until being exposed to those damned robots in 2006, and again this past summer in L.A. Then it was all about the :dumbo if you remember...Thanks to all of you here, I now live with symptoms of a compulsive/addictive personality disorder...and an affection for verbal abuse...

tessalasset
11-20-2007, 11:59 PM
lurked a little bit in 03 when the lineup for 04 was announced, then started posting in january 04. a few of us stuck around over the summer (for me mostly cause my day job was so fucking boring) and over the years we've managed to form a tight knit group of good peeps. i look forward to every coachella cause even tho it brings absolute retards for the few months leading up to it, afterwards, some quality new people stick around for the real fun. it happens every year like clockwork.

SojuGorae
11-21-2007, 12:05 AM
RAGE!

You forgot the, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!1

xleslie
11-21-2007, 12:45 AM
I've been lurking on the board since January of this year around the time when the lineup was released, and eventually signed up in May probably because of all the insanity involving Daft's tour. I don't really post a lot on here, only when i feel like i have something to say that hasn't been said already. But i stick around to keep myself up-to-date on everything that's happening in the music world. 07' was my first Coachella and definitely not my last -- i've been wanting to go for so many years but my friends never had the money and i wasn't about to go by myself.

gmoneyak
11-21-2007, 03:46 AM
'07 was the first Coachella for me and now I'm hooked..

This board amuses me.

I've never been much of a message board regular in the past, but I've always been entertained here. It's a nice mix of useful info, interesting banter, ocassional dumbfucks, and the general respect of all things music.

Cheers!!

John Peel is My Co-pilot
11-21-2007, 12:05 PM
I can't remember how I started posting. I was probably Googling "sideboobs" or something and ended up here.
Once here, the combination of blatant hipsterism, rampant xenophobia, lolcats and the odd "car crash" poster makes sure that even in years when I can't attend, I still get my fix of everything that makes the circus so ridiculous!

kroqken
05-06-2008, 12:35 AM
I started posting a few years ago because I have been going to Coachella since 2002, and I have trouble not talking about it for the rest of the year.

Goodtoknow
05-06-2008, 12:40 AM
i went to coachella 07, got to tickets to 08 and didnt even think about joining the message board until right before the fest this year.

my favorite thing about the board is speculating who will be on next year's lineup before stagecoach even started...

Sushov23
05-06-2008, 12:55 AM
started lurking when the line up came out for 07, and started posting in the summer, because there was a lot of info on here, and people on here love music like me.

hawkingvsreeve
05-06-2008, 01:38 AM
Joined in mid 04 under a different name. Switched names in Jan of 05.

Attended 02, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08.

bmack86
05-06-2008, 01:54 AM
Brandon, what was your old name? I remember the Handicapped image as your avatar way back when, and someone thinking your name was offensive due to Reeve's then fairly recent death.

bmack86
05-06-2008, 01:55 AM
and, I used to be Lifewontwait86. On the oldboard

kroqken
05-06-2008, 06:13 AM
I do not even remember when I first joined.

frozen pilgrim
05-06-2008, 06:37 AM

yeah, I think quite a few of us insufferably short-tempered, cantankerous internet dwelling music nerds somehow end up being nice people in person

TomAz
05-06-2008, 07:11 AM
and, I used to be Lifewontwait86. On the oldboard

I did not know this. Huh.

NicoDread
05-06-2008, 07:39 AM
I joined last year to ask something about the fest, but then i forgot my password and made a new account

ivankay
05-06-2008, 08:10 AM
Not sure exactly, but think it was in 05' to find out info about the VIP passes and how much they should cost if you were buying them. Not sure because i'm pretty sure i was reading in 04 to find out stuff. Lurked for a while and then got sucked in by the fantastic folk here. Started sharing pictures here around that time too. i started submitting to the Fan photos in 03'.

Hannahrain
05-06-2008, 08:12 AM
I was hoping to pick up some young girls for my collection.

Hannahrain
05-06-2008, 08:20 AM
Oh, and on a completely unrelated note, there will be free ice cream cake and pink convertibles at my house from 4-6 tomorrow evening.

Young blood
05-06-2008, 08:21 AM
Alllllright.....

Thats my type of party.

bug on your lip
05-06-2008, 08:36 AM
i smelled doughnuts and walked in here

luckyface
05-06-2008, 08:44 AM
Joined in 2004 and lurked under a different name. I posted about 5 times in 3 years. I started posting regularly with the new board.

Heresy
05-06-2008, 09:07 AM
I have a feeling I had a user name on here before, but I don't remember the user name and/or password.

I started posting here since the website/boards I used to post at got shut down. I post here and there...not really a regular.

P.S.
I've been to '05 and '07

full on idle
05-06-2008, 09:19 AM
I followed Bug.

Blinken
05-06-2008, 09:21 AM
I started lurking the day the 07 lineup was released, i spent so much time just reading the crazy shit. I was trying to decide if i wanted to go all three days or just Sunday. I ended up going all three days had an unbelievable time and swore i would be back in 08. I started posting shortly after getting my current job in November. I enjoy the crazy.

Courtney
05-06-2008, 09:27 AM
I first viewed the board around 2004 and remember being thoroughly confused/intimidated by the fact that it seemed like everyone on the board knew each other and had inside jokes and whatnot.

I went to the old board again in 2006 and maybe even created a screen name, although I don't think I posted more than one or two things.

And then in 2007 right before the lineup came out, I went to the board to see if any leaks had been posted and noticed it was a new site and decided that maybe it wasn't so intimidating and that people were actually pretty interesting and full of information and amusing.

Cheddar's Cousin
05-06-2008, 10:04 AM
I came here to find out more information about Coachella. Additions, set-times, camping info, general festival info, what bands I should check out, blah blah blah. '07 was my first year. I wanted to go in '05 and '06, but funds/school wouldnt allow it. I went to '07 and I decided there was NO WAY I am not going to '08.
Why did I stay here though? Why did I stay here... hmmm... well, I am a music guy. Music is my thing. This is a board full of my people, people who love music in general. I love how people around here have incredibly diverse tastes in music though. Coachella is different for everybody. Im sure there are some people here, where we both saw completely different Coachellas. And there are others here, I was probably shoulder to shoulder with the whole time. I have just learned a lot about music since I have been here. Ive even met some of you now, and they have all been awesome. I look forward to meeting more too.
It's a good place.

Wow... that sounded so cheesy. I feel like I should go save children from a burning orphanage right now. brb.

That wasn't Cheesey at all...It was adorable. Bless your heart.

I started posting this year because they gave me a secret code when I bought my tickets. Plus, I don't have any friends and I'm addicted to the webernetz.

chairmenmeow47
05-06-2008, 11:08 AM
i think i actually started posting in 2005, but i really don't know. i know i was looking around on the old boards in 2004 to find saturday tickets.

i took a break for awhile though cause honestly, the old boards used to feel like people took things WAY too seriously and there were too many "rules" about threads. i also thought that yablo kept calling me an "asshat" for a long time, but then i soon put 2 and 2 together and realized he was just trying to summon chris, LOL.

while i find the music talk interesting to read, i like talking about the festival itself and all our other interests and basically goofing off. i also like talking to people from places other than where i live, so it's nice to hear about the goings on of everyone scattered throughout the country. i don't know many of you in real life, but i do like hearing about what's going on in your lives and i have fun posting with y'all :)

kroqken
05-06-2008, 03:41 PM
I never tried to get tickets on this board.

hawkingvsreeve
05-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Brandon, what was your old name? I remember the Handicapped image as your avatar way back when, and someone thinking your name was offensive due to Reeve's then fairly recent death.

IWantMyKissesBackFromYou

(Jimmy Eat World reference)

I didn't post much with it.

greghead
05-06-2008, 07:43 PM
I have gone to every Coachella since 2004, but just last year started lurking like a creep in the bushes, and it wasn't until January that I actually posted.

Originally, I had no intention of posting; these posts make me laugh, so I used to just read and soak up info and have a good time, but then one of Randy's posts pissed me off and I had to say something.

Now I'm hooked like heroin.

bug on your lip
05-07-2008, 06:50 AM
it is like heroin greghead
just wait till you come down off it.... it's a helluva a crash...
you wake up with dried vomit all over your eyebrows and you find yourself in the Lollapalooza messageboard

greghead
05-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Now THAT is rock bottom

Pixiessp
05-07-2008, 11:08 AM
I don't even remember how I got here but I am so glad I found this message board. have learned so much about festival and everyone has been so helpful and kind(for the most part).

PotVsKtl
05-07-2008, 11:24 AM
I'm here for the underage Asians.

caco0283
05-07-2008, 12:35 PM
I started posting in 04. I was trying to find some hot girls that needed a ride from LAX but I got stuck with a beast from nova scotia. Ive been to coachella in 04 05 06 07 08

PassiveTheory
05-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Lurked in 06, finally could afford 07, and joined right after the lineup was announced. I'll be back again in 08'.

LIES! ALL LIES!

bartelby
05-07-2008, 01:09 PM
came visiting for answers to questions in 04 and then found a wealth of great music knowledge and opinions on the board...since its just expanded to interesting conversations about nearly everything

that and I think I'm addicted to the annoyed feeling I get reading Supredork's self-aggrandizing and newbie berating posts

been coming to the show since '04 and won't be stopping anytime soon...

menikmati
05-07-2008, 01:29 PM
Somehow I found out about the festival in like March of 2004. I remember glancing over the lineup and thinking to myself it was the best lineup I had ever seen. I really wanted to go, but didn't know anyone and was too scared to get a carpool with some strangers. But I lurked the board for a couple weeks reading about everyone's hype for the Pixies and such, and then finally joined in discussing the festival a couple weeks prior to it happening. Then after the festival, I remember a thread where everyone was naming one band they wish would play the festival, and I put together a poster for it. I was hooked after that.

involvelemons
02-18-2009, 12:52 AM
Speaking of AA Meetings, I am going to lead one on the grass during Sat, Sun afternoon. If anyone is trying to stay 'sobes, send me a personal message and help me organize it.
Then we can talk about . . . you know. . . "what it was like, what happened and what it's like now."

boarderwoozel3
02-18-2009, 01:03 AM
^ That's quite ambitious but not a bad idea.

involvelemons
02-18-2009, 01:05 AM
A meeting went down on the grass last year. Unfortunately I missed it. They're easy to miss. It's not like we dress in fucking Krishna robes or anything. We just touch base and meet other sober people, then go party.

boarderwoozel3
02-18-2009, 01:12 AM
I decided to go to Coachella with my mother up visiting and at the time, hanging out next to me in my old studio apartment in Seattle. A friend called to tell me that Rage was getting back together at some festival in Indio, CA. After a quick glance at the lineup, ticket prices, and drive time from Seattle to Indio we decided to go right then and there. I joined the board shortly afterward to get information on camping and as they say; the rest is history.

woogie846
02-18-2009, 01:29 AM
I joined in 2006 since that was my first year and had no idea what to expect. I remember that I wanted to know if the screening of the Coachella movie was open to anyone or just campers.

dorkfish
02-18-2009, 01:41 AM
I used to trade Cat Power bootlegs on the old BBS looking board.

vogina
02-18-2009, 02:06 AM
a little something like this
http://www.discobelle.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/midgets-with-logo-1.jpg

vogina
02-18-2009, 02:08 AM
and add a touch of
http://www.discobelle.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/mumdance-441x450.jpg

vogina
02-18-2009, 02:14 AM
add a tad of http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41mPOHz4taL.jpg

vogina
02-18-2009, 02:31 AM
and finish it with
http://thecobrasnake.com/partyphotos/nowaynorway/images/IMG_4840.jpg
http://thecobrasnake.com/partyphotos/nowaynorway/images/IMG_4841.jpg

http://thecobrasnake.com/partyphotos/nowaynorway/images/IMG_4843.jpg

zajaa
02-18-2009, 03:06 AM
and finish it with
http://thecobrasnake.com/partyphotos/nowaynorway/images/IMG_4841.jpg

i was gonna say something about something and then i saw this and

yeahhh

im down with this
yeah

did i mention the tank is a tank?

Cheddar's Cousin
02-18-2009, 06:51 AM
I started posting because I like to talk shit on the internet and here, I found many kindred spirits.

Plus, I wanted info on Coachella.