PDA

View Full Version : NEW MUSIC TUESDAY (11/20) WHATCHA GETTIN BEFORE TURKEY DAY?

C DUB YA
11-19-2007, 11:20 AM
If you wanna get something this week - get:

U2 - The Joshua Tree - The 20th Anniversary Edition - Remastered

I for one will be first in line for the 20th Anniversary Edition of The Joshua Tree. This thing is sweet. Completely remastered with a hardbound book, never before seen photos from the classic Anton Corbijn shoot, hand written lyrics, Daniel Lanois liner notes, and a live disc from Paris in 1987. Another bonus disc is also wonderful, it contains b-sides and out-takes, most of which appeared on the groups euro singles, 95% of the "b-side" stuff is album worthy, they were that "on" in 87. Nice designed package as well, one of the best records ever gets its due.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j32/carywhitt/41W7L6zZutL_SS400_.jpg

Lots of other stuff this week too:

Ed Harcourt - Until Tomorrow (Best of)
Eric Clapton - Live at the Crossroads Festival
Boris and Merzbow - Rock Dream
Major Stars - Mirror Messenger
Wolfmother - Please Experience Wolfmother (Live w/DVD)
Atmosphere - Sad Clown Bad Fall Volume 10
Ravonettes - Lust Lust Lust (import)
Amy Winehouse - Frank (original UK debut)
Dan Deacon - Ultimate Reality
Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same (remastered 2CD)
NOFX - They've Actually Gotten Worse (Live)
Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero Remixes
James Murphy - Fabriclive 36
Gorillaz - D-sides
Phish - Vegas 96 (Box Set)
Sebastian Bach - Angel Down (for those who care, Axl Rose is on it)
Interpol - Our Love to Admire (new deluxe edition with new live DVD)
Genesis - Live in 2007
Paul Van Dyk - Let Go (import ep)
Ryan Adams - Everybody Knows (import ep)
Bob Marley - Exodus (30th Anniversary remastered edition)

and finally...
The Brit Box (4 disc box set from Rhino) - pretty amazing when you look at the tracklist. Even though most of us prolly have the majority, if not all, of the tunes, it would be nice to get some of them in their remastered glory here, plus the telephone box is a nice touch. Rhino always does a killer job on their reissues, could be a killer xmas present? Anyhow, check out what's on it.

Disc: 1
1. How Soon Is Now? - The Smiths
2. Lorelei - Cocteau Twins
3. Felt - Primitive Partners
4. Shop Assistants - Somewhere In China
5. My Biggest Thrill - The Mighty Lemon Drops
6. Just Like Heaven - The Cure
7. Lips Like Sugar - Echo & The Bunnymen
8. April Skies - The Jesus And Mary Chain
9. Walkin' With Jesus (Sound Of Confusion) - Spacemen 3
10. Crash - The Primitives
11. Unbearable - The Wonder Stuff
12. She Bangs the Drums - The Stone Roses
13. The Only One I Know - The Charlatans UK
14. Step On - Happy Mondays
15. Loaded - Primal Scream
16. This Is How It Feels - Inspiral Carpets
17. Obscurity Knocks - The Trash Can Sinatras
18. There She Goes - The La's
19. Here's Where the Story Ends - The Sundays

Disc: 2
1. Vapour Trail - Ride
2. Sight Of You - Pale Saints
3. Only Shallow - My Bloody Valentine
4. For Love - Lush
5. Flying - The Telescopes
6. Pearl - Chapterhouse
7. I Want To Touch You - Catherine Wheel
8. Trip & Slide - Bleach
9. Coast Is Clear - Curve
10. You - Five Thirty
11. This River Will Never Run Dry - Moose
12. (Thought I'd Died) And Gone To Heaven - The Family Cat
13. (Don't Cut Me Down) Mary Quant In Blue - The Dylans
14. 0-0 A.E.T. (No Score After Extra Time) - Thousand Yard Stare
15. Grey Cell Green - Ned's Atomic Dustbin
16. Shoot You Down - Birdland Listen
17. Stay Beautiful - Manic Street Preachers
18. Star Sign - Teenage Fanclub

Disc: 3
1. Metal Mickey - Suede
2. Duel - Swervedriver
3. Breakfast - Eugenius
4. Barfly - Superstar
5. Regret - New Order
6. Laid - James
7. Kite - Nick Heyward
8. Lazarus - The Boo Radleys
9. You're In a Bad Way - Saint Etienne
10. Wow & Flutter - Stereolab
11. Tracy Jacks - Blur
12. Live Forever - Oasis
13. Common People - Pulp
14. Speeed King - These Animal Men
15. Wallflower - Mega City Four
16. Insomniac - Echobelly
17. Sleep Well Tonight - Gene
18. Sleeping In - Menswear
19. Alright - Supergrass
20. Alright - Cast
21. Stutter - Elastica

Disc: 4
1. In a Room - Dodgy
2. Girl From Mars - Ash
3. Sale Of the Century - Sleeper
4. Sleep - Marion
5. Tattva - Kula Shaker
6. The Riverboat Song - Ocean Colour Scene
7. You're Gorgeous - Babybird
8. Slight Return - The Bluetones
9. Something 4 the Weekend - Super Furry Animals
10. Something For the Weekend - The Divine Comedy
11. Brimful Of Asha - Cornershop
12. Service - Silver Sun
13. Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space - Spiritualized
14. Wide Open Space - Mansun
15. Step Into My World - Hurricane #1
16. Lucky Man - The Verve
17. Untouchable - Rialto
18. Mulder And Scully - Catatonia
19. You Don't Care About Us - Placebo
20. Oh Jim - Gay Dad

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j32/carywhitt/51bZQ7ItSRL_SS500_.jpg

sonofhal
11-19-2007, 11:28 AM

The live DVD is of the Astoria show i went to earlier in the year. It was the best i've ever seen them. Hope that comes across on the disc.

I got the Raveonettes last week, and it's worth getting.

shakermaker113
11-19-2007, 11:40 AM
gorillaz - d-sides.

also, isn't the heima dvd out tommorow?

also, I need to pick up the oasis dvd from whenever that was released.

wmgaretjax
11-19-2007, 11:47 AM

yes.

brando4n82
11-19-2007, 11:50 AM
i would like to pick up gorillaz d sides fo sho

shakermaker113
11-19-2007, 12:03 PM
oh. how I wish we had release days on mondays. for some reason waiting 'till tuesday always sucks.

amyzzz
11-19-2007, 12:03 PM
I want that Brit Box.

C DUB YA
11-19-2007, 12:07 PM
gorillaz - d-sides.

also, isn't the heima dvd out tommorow?

also, I need to pick up the oasis dvd from whenever that was released.

Heima DVD is out first week of December. There are two versions...
Limited deluxe edition is individually numbered and includes 100 page bound book. Standard edition is amaray-sized digipak with 8-page booklet.

shakermaker113
11-19-2007, 12:16 PM
Heima DVD is out first week of December. There are two versions...
Limited deluxe edition is individually numbered and includes 100 page bound book. Standard edition is amaray-sized digipak with 8-page booklet.

I thought the special edition was still out this week? eh. I'll see when I get to the store tomorrow.

suprefan
11-19-2007, 12:17 PM
Heima DVD is out first week of December.

There are conflicting things on this. Official site says tomorrow, others say December as you mentioned.

Interpol and NIN for sure.

You forgot another release, dont know how you missed it.

Daft Punk - Alive 2007 digital release

C DUB YA
11-19-2007, 12:17 PM
I thought the special edition was still out this week? eh. I'll see when I get to the store tomorrow.

according to insound, Best Buy, Sour Records and Amazon - it's December 4th. The Oasis DVD is out now.

C DUB YA
11-19-2007, 12:19 PM
There are conflicting things on this. Official site says tomorrow, others say December as you mentioned.

Interpol and NIN for sure.

You forgot another release, dont know how you missed it.

Daft Punk - Alive 2007 digital release

I didn't include it because its digital I guess... the official - hard copy release is the 4th of December.

Yeah - the Heima release thing is all over the place? When in doubt go with what Amazon says? The officail site might be talking about the European release date only.

wmgaretjax
11-19-2007, 12:23 PM
limited edition is released tomorrow.

normal release on the 4th of dec

Courtney
11-19-2007, 12:28 PM
The Brit Box might be very good. But apparently I find that list to be unreadable because it doesn't conform to Artist - Song formatting. I'm actually surprised that I reacted that strongly to something as silly as formatting, but yeah it really bothers me. Also I want the Boris/Merzbow.

C DUB YA
11-19-2007, 12:30 PM
It's not that bad - I didn't type all that out - I just copied it from the Rhino site.

wmgaretjax
11-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Tim Hecker's "Norberg" comes out tomorrow in the US as well.

Courtney
11-19-2007, 12:34 PM
It's not that bad - I didn't type all that out - I just copied it from the Rhino site.

I think maybe I need to accept that I have a stick up my ass when it comes to formatting. I am going to try to train myself to be less snarky about it.

TomAz
11-19-2007, 12:39 PM
someone should do a Mightly Lemon Drops mix sometime.

sonofhal
11-19-2007, 12:43 PM
3. Felt - Primitive Partners

Is this similar to Primitive Painters by Felt?

captncrzy
11-19-2007, 12:52 PM
I want that Brit Box.

Me too

Yablonowitz
11-19-2007, 12:58 PM

I for one will be first in line for the 20th Anniversary Edition of The Joshua Tree. This thing is sweet. Completely remastered with a hardbound book, never before seen photos from the classic Anton Corbijn shoot, hand written lyrics, Daniel Lanois liner notes, and a live disc from Paris in 1987. Another bonus disc is also wonderful, it contains b-sides and out-takes, most of which appeared on the groups euro singles, 95% of the "b-side" stuff is album worthy, they were that "on" in 87. Nice designed package as well, one of the best records ever gets its due.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j32/carywhitt/41W7L6zZutL_SS400_.jpg

Lots of other stuff this week too:

Ed Harcourt - Until Tomorrow (Best of)
Eric Clapton - Live at the Crossroads Festival
Major Stars - Mirror Messenger
Wolfmother - Please Experience Wolfmother (Live w/DVD)
Atmosphere - Sad Clown Bad Fall Volume 10
Ravonettes - Lust Lust Lust (import)
Amy Winehouse - Frank (original UK debut)
Dan Deacon - Ultimate Reality
Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same (remastered 2CD)
NOFX - They've Actually Gotten Worse (Live)
Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero Remixes
James Murphy - Fabriclive 36
Gorillaz - D-sides
Phish - Vegas 96 (Box Set)
Sebastian Bach - Angel Down (for those who care, Axl Rose is on it)
Genesis - Live in 2007
Paul Van Dyk - Let Go (import ep)
Ryan Adams - Everybody Knows (import ep)
Bob Marley - Exodus (30th Anniversary remastered edition)

and finally...
The Brit Box (4 disc box set from Rhino) - pretty amazing when you look at the tracklist. Even though most of us prolly have the majority, if not all, of the tunes, it would be nice to get some of them in their remastered glory here, plus the telephone box is a nice touch. Rhino always does a killer job on their reissues, could be a killer xmas present? Anyhow, check out what's on it.

You're a wacky little monkey. Where do you get so much disposable income?

Are you going to do a Christmas Gift Extravaganza for us all soon where you show us all the coolest and hottest new items out there?

TomAz
11-19-2007, 01:01 PM

I'm ambivalent about this. on the one hand, remastered editions seem like just another marketing ploy to me. on the other hand, my remastered London Calling sounds a whole lot better than the cd I bought back in the 80s. In fact most of the cds I bought in the 80s sound like shit, I wonder why that is?

J~$$$
11-19-2007, 01:01 PM

Are you going to do a Christmas Gift Extravaganza for us all soon where you show us all the coolest and hottest new items out there?

Just wait for the blog.

PassiveTheory
11-19-2007, 01:04 PM
Brit Box sounds interesting... Surprised they didn't go with "This Charming Man" for the Smiths selection, though. Not that I'd be buying the box for that (primarily the other bands like Cocteau Twins, Spacemen 3, The Stone Roses, The Charlatans UK, Primal Scream, Ride, Catherine Wheel, Suede, The Boo Radleys, Stereolab, and Spiritualized that I've heard rave reviews of on here, but not their actual music) but just a thought. How much is the mofo anyway?

summerkid
11-19-2007, 01:05 PM
might get that D Sides.

roberto73
11-19-2007, 01:07 PM
someone should do a Mightly Lemon Drops mix sometime.

I was listening to World Without End the other day. Maybe I'll add it to the "Young'uns Guide" thread once I tackle Eels.

C DUB YA
11-19-2007, 01:29 PM
Just wait for the blog.

I can also count on you to rasie your (dick) head and comment.

I'm still waiting for where you claim this blog is fucko? Enlighten me.

C DUB YA
11-19-2007, 01:30 PM
Brit Box sounds interesting... Surprised they didn't go with "This Charming Man" for the Smiths selection, though. Not that I'd be buying the box for that (primarily the other bands like Cocteau Twins, Spacemen 3, The Stone Roses, The Charlatans UK, Primal Scream, Ride, Catherine Wheel, Suede, The Boo Radleys, Stereolab, and Spiritualized that I've heard rave reviews of on here, but not their actual music) but just a thought. How much is the mofo anyway?

In the ballpark of $60...

$58.99 on Amazon

C DUB YA
11-19-2007, 01:35 PM

I am whacky. What makes you think I have tons of disposable income? I do work...

I actually don't buy that many gifts outside my immediate family (son and wife), I guess my brother gets a lot cause he's a big OSU fan livin in Tenn, so it's easy for me to stock him up every year. Other than that, I keep it minimal around the holidays, but my son is already kinda spoiled.

As far as a list of cool shit out there, I guess I could, but I so feel like everyone on this board pulls my crank 99% of the time, so I prolly won't bother. The music Tuesday is a thing I do for myself (not a blog) anyways.

Yablonowitz
11-19-2007, 01:47 PM
I am whacky. What makes you think I have tons of disposable income? I do work...

I actually don't buy that many gifts outside my immediate family (son and wife), I guess my brother gets a lot cause he's a big OSU fan livin in Tenn, so it's easy for me to stock him up every year. Other than that, I keep it minimal around the holidays, but my son is already kinda spoiled.

As far as a list of cool shit out there, I guess I could, but I so feel like everyone on this board pulls my crank 99% of the time, so I prolly won't bother. The music Tuesday is a thing I do for myself (not a blog) anyways.

Oh, just all the games and gaming stuff it sounds like you have plus buying a remastered Joshua Tree. Pay no attention to me C DUB YA. You rock on.

You have Kennethfrom30Rock like excitement.

J~$$$
11-19-2007, 01:56 PM
Oh, just all the games and gaming stuff it sounds like you have plus buying a remastered Joshua Tree. Pay no attention to me C DUB YA. You rock on.

Jack Donaghy trying to get invited to kennths party produced some of the best dialog in recent tv history.

C DUB YA
11-19-2007, 01:58 PM

I don' t know that reference but - yeah I do get excited about things

J~$$$
11-19-2007, 02:02 PM
Would have been a fun show to see.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/112813.html

suprefan
11-19-2007, 03:47 PM
The U2 box set probably will be $25 or so on Black Friday, thats gonna be a nice grab if I go to like Target or something.

I didn't include it because its digital I guess... the official - hard copy release is the 4th of December.

Yeah - the Heima release thing is all over the place? When in doubt go with what Amazon says? The officail site might be talking about the European release date only.

Still though, how many people here with their iPods will just buy it that way and then wait for the physical ya know? I pre ordered my copy so I am fine with waiting since I have a leak. I want to see how many peopel actually buy it tomorrow to see if it makes the charts.

the Heima thing, I'll go around a few places tomorrow and see if its out or not. I do want the U2 release though now that I think about it.

menikmati
11-19-2007, 05:58 PM
HELLO?

NIRVANA - UNPLUGGED IN NEW YORK DVD!!!!

PassiveTheory
11-19-2007, 06:00 PM
Remastered or what?

C DUB YA
11-19-2007, 07:55 PM
HELLO?

I usually don't list straight DVD's, but I shoulda included that one - my apps.

suprefan
11-19-2007, 10:10 PM
HELLO?

Oh yeah.............. That thing. j/k I might grab it.

Remastered or what?

Dude, DVD, see when it originally aired(you were 3 at the time) I taped the thing on VHS, and it was kind of the only way to watch it. Now finally its on DVD which woudl be a nice thing to go with the live cd of course.

ThomThom
11-19-2007, 10:16 PM
That Brit Box looks pretty fucking nice...Is that available at all major retailers?

menikmati
11-19-2007, 10:19 PM
It's the unedited version...meaning it has ALL the in between song banter, the two songs that were never aired on MTV (though they are on the CD), plus all the mini jams they do (Sliver, In Bloom, Sweet Home Alabama etc...). It's been available as a bootleg for years (the unedited video that is - someone from MTV leaked a VHS of it)...but to finally have an OFFICIAL release of the unedited copy in perfect quality with extras like unseen rehearsal footage, the broadcast version, and some simulated 5.1 sound...can't get much better.

PassiveTheory
11-19-2007, 11:48 PM
That definitely sounds sweet.

Sushov23
11-19-2007, 11:54 PM
ME WANT THE BRIT BOX, even though I have most of the songs on there, its just something cool as fuck to have in your collection.

full on idle
11-20-2007, 07:23 AM
I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M GONNA GET YET BUT I'LL PROBABLY DO RASPUTIN AT LUNCH I'LL COME BACK AND LETCHA KNOW GO TUESDAY MUSIC TURKEY DAY AY YAY AY AYAY

C DUB YA
11-20-2007, 10:55 AM
FYI's

Oh my.

For those interested in picking it up... The Super Deluxe Box Set (3 disc) version of The Joshua Tree, is soooooo nice.

The package is simply beautiful throughout (photo cards printed on uncoated stock, bound book, embossing, etc...) and it sounds AMAZING! I'd say one of the better remaster jobs in recent memory (London Calling, Pet Sounds). We all win with this one folks.

Prices range from $36.99-$49.99 (Best Buy has it for $39.99 this week only, but the Best Buy I went to, which is a huge one, only got 3 copies) Circuit City got only one, same goes for my local indie shop, just one copy. It doesn't look like they'll have them for black Friday, just be aware.

P.S. Best Buy also had 3 copies of the Brit Box - but I put it on my xmas list so I didn't pick it up.

Yablonowitz
11-20-2007, 11:33 AM
But, Kenneth, no amount of remastering can improve the quality of the songs on The Joshua Tree. If you tell me that it actually turns it into Achtung Baby! Part 2, then I MIGHT buy it.

C DUB YA
11-20-2007, 12:04 PM
Hmmm - well being the major U2 fan - I'm right there with ya. If I had to rank them, The Joshua Tree is my third favorite U2 record. Still, it's in my all time top 25. So this reissue is a welcomed thing, esp. the way it's been delivered.

1. Unforgettable Fire
2. Actung Baby
3. Joshua Tree
4. War
5. Zooropa

orbit
11-20-2007, 01:06 PM
Future Sounds of London - Environments

Out today. The album that should've been released 15 years ago is finally here. Only for digital download, though.

http://www.fsoldigital.com/

TomAz
11-20-2007, 01:24 PM
Hmmm - well being the major U2 fan - I'm right there with ya. If I had to rank them, The Joshua Tree is my third favorite U2 record. Still, it's in my all time top 25. So this reissue is a welcomed thing, esp. the way it's been delivered.

1. Unforgettable Fire
2. Actung Baby
3. Joshua Tree
4. War
5. Zooropa

1. The Joshua Tree
2. Achtung Baby
3. War
4. All That You Can't Leave Behind
5. The Unforgettable Fire

C DUB YA
11-20-2007, 01:50 PM
Nothing they've done tops Wire or Bad - imo

Yablonowitz
11-20-2007, 01:53 PM
1. The Joshua Tree
2. Achtung Baby
3. War

The Joshua Tree and Rattle & Hum were U2 at their most self-important.

Edit: For my tastes, anyway.

C DUB YA
11-20-2007, 01:56 PM
Rattle and Hum - yes.

Joshua Tree - not so much. they didn't expect the reaction they got from it. It was extremely well recieved to say the least, it just sorta snowballed them into the mega band thing they are today.

Rattle and Hum was a knee jerk reaction to the stardom I think. Half of it is good, the songs without guests, the other half - including the movie - are a bit self absorbed.

Without it we wouldn't have gotten Achtung Baby though.

downingthief
11-20-2007, 02:05 PM
It's the unedited version...meaning it has ALL the in between song banter, the two songs that were never aired on MTV (though they are on the CD), plus all the mini jams they do (Sliver, In Bloom, Sweet Home Alabama etc...). It's been available as a bootleg for years (the unedited video that is - someone from MTV leaked a VHS of it)...but to finally have an OFFICIAL release of the unedited copy in perfect quality with extras like unseen rehearsal footage, the broadcast version, and some simulated 5.1 sound...can't get much better.

I still have the original airing on VHS. Ahh, the good old days...

downingthief
11-20-2007, 02:08 PM
1. The Joshua Tree
2. Achtung Baby
3. War

I have to get in on this...

1. Achtung Baby (only for personal reasons is it # 1...came out at the perfect time in my life.
2. Joshua Tree
3. Unforgettable Fire
4. War
5. All that you can't leave behind

C DUB YA
11-20-2007, 02:45 PM
Oh yeah the Joshua Tree DVD has the Outside It's America documentary on it - very cool!

ThomThom
11-20-2007, 02:46 PM
C DUB,

Did you by any chance see the price of the Brit Box while you were at Best Buy?

Yablonowitz
11-20-2007, 03:19 PM
Achtung Baby
Zooropa
War
Unforgettable Fire
Other U2 albums

bug on your lip
11-20-2007, 03:34 PM
Joshua Tree bashing is just uncalled for...
i understand that you like Achtung Baby better, but Joshua Tree is one of the greatest ever made..

with that being said i'm happy to see Zooropa on some of yer lists, def underrated

Deviate_420
11-20-2007, 03:45 PM
HELLO?

I have heard so many people talk about this band Nirvana. What kind of music are they and do they sound anything like ICP?

Yablonowitz
11-20-2007, 04:03 PM
Joshua Tree bashing is just uncalled for...
i understand that you like Achtung Baby better, but Joshua Tree is one of the greatest ever made..

with that being said i'm happy to see Zooropa on some of yer lists, def underrated

Joshua Tree - most overrated album of my lifetime.

J~$$$
11-20-2007, 04:06 PM
Shut your face. You cant be serious.

Yablonowitz
11-20-2007, 04:17 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA, you guys are funny.

I haven't heard it in probably 10 years, seriously. At least not all of it. I loved it in high school. But I really don't care much for "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" and "Where the Streets Have No Name."

The production bugs me. I just vastly prefer Achtung Baby-Zooropa. Oh, and Pop to a lesser degree. I forgot about Pop, I would say I even like that album more than Joshua Tree.

J~$$$
11-20-2007, 04:34 PM
Pop better than Joshua Tree? Yablo you are killing me. I will listen to both albums all the way through tonight and make fun of your opinion in the morning.

rage patton
11-20-2007, 04:59 PM
I have to go with Joshua Tree as the best U2 album.

It may have more to do with me sharing my name with the album, then with the songs on it though. Well... minus the "tree" part.

PassiveTheory
11-20-2007, 05:03 PM
http://www.chinesetapes.com/faith_children/images/joshua.jpg

C DUB YA
11-20-2007, 05:46 PM
C DUB,

Did you by any chance see the price of the Brit Box while you were at Best Buy?

$39.99

bleep
11-20-2007, 05:52 PM
$36.99 on amazon

menikmati
11-20-2007, 06:42 PM
I got the Unplugged DVD today, can't wait to pop it in and watch. BUT, on top of that, just when I thought it couldn't get any better....half of the FECAL MATTER tape (from a first gen cassette) leaked today! Woohoo!

Yablonowitz
11-20-2007, 06:47 PM
I never thought I'd see the day that Fecal Matter would leak.

menikmati
11-20-2007, 06:50 PM
me neither yablo, me neither

ThomThom
11-20-2007, 08:12 PM
$36.99 on amazon

$39.99

I want to buy it so bad right now but I would hate to buy it and find that on Friday morning it is like $15.00.

rage patton
11-20-2007, 08:13 PM
http://www.chinesetapes.com/faith_children/images/joshua.jpg

Yup... that's more like it.