PDA

View Full Version : should coachella start selling gold circle pit tickets?

scoop49er
11-18-2007, 09:50 PM
i was curious to know how some of you felt about if coachella decided to sell tickets for gold circle tickets which would give you access to front of stage for the main and outdoor stages only? just a discussion topic...

shakermaker113
11-18-2007, 09:52 PM
NO.

anti-square
11-18-2007, 09:52 PM
no way. Only rich snobby assholes would end up in the front and ruin the vibe.

scoop49er
11-18-2007, 09:58 PM
i would say yes only if it was at a decent price. kind of like how u2 sold the floor tickets cheap but it was first come first sold type of thing. id be cool with that. or at least give us the chance to buy them first! :)

Boourns
11-18-2007, 10:42 PM
Fuck no. It would ruin the vibe, take up too much valuable space, and ruin everything for the common folk. Only noobs hang out by the main stage the whole time, anyway. Famous people and ass-kissers of famous people score all-access passes and watch bands while on-stage, which is a lot better.

Ill_Eagle
11-19-2007, 12:16 AM
nope.

fatbastard
11-19-2007, 07:02 AM
Part of the essence of Coachella is that is an even playing field (pun intended) for everyone.

jenniferrrae
11-19-2007, 11:07 AM
it's bad enough they sell "vip" tickets. now when i'm trying to watch explosions in the sky, there are drunk ass rich kids onstage blocking the coachella in the background.

shakermaker113
11-19-2007, 11:50 AM
it's bad enough they sell "vip" tickets. now when i'm trying to watch explosions in the sky, there are drunk ass rich kids onstage blocking the coachella in the background.

um. vip tickets don't get you on stage. they get you access to the VIP area that is to the left of the main stage. not in front of you. those people on stage have back stage passes.

someone correct me if I am mistaken.

psychic friend
11-19-2007, 12:17 PM
shaker is correct.

PrettyRagdoll
11-20-2007, 12:59 PM
FUCK NO! That pissed me off at Vegoose. If you can't fight your way to the front and earn your spot don't bother. And what's more, the spots the section off for the 'vip pit' is usually lame anyway.

But seriously... "VIP Pit"? Doesn't that cross itself out?

jenniferrrae
11-20-2007, 01:01 PM
apologize for not being clear, but left of the stage/on the stage are equally distractive... especially when there is a constant camera flash coming from the direction your looking in

algunz
11-20-2007, 01:22 PM
The last thing we need to do is cater further to "this" crowd. It's a festival. It's time to mingle.

Deviate_420
11-20-2007, 02:53 PM
I would not mind doing so. I could buy 10 of them and wait till it sells out and sell them for 500 a pop.

scoop49er
11-20-2007, 09:53 PM
scott stapp> robert plant? huh?

axl rose+ lead singer of avenged sevenfold= both shitheads!

dontfeedthebird
11-20-2007, 10:04 PM
I'm all about waking up early and buying better seats than everyone, but this is different. You're supposed to fight it out at a festival.

gaypalmsprings
11-20-2007, 10:11 PM
I'd like to see someone body surf, while sitting in a chair.

BTW - Stagecoach sold 400 tickets at $493 a ticket within a matter of seconds.

goodgrl
11-20-2007, 10:18 PM
FUCK NO! That pissed me off at Vegoose. If you can't fight your way to the front and earn your spot don't bother. And what's more, the spots the section off for the 'vip pit' is usually lame anyway.

But seriously... "VIP Pit"? Doesn't that cross itself out?

Agreed! It was like that at vfest and it was distracting. The scary thing- ONLY vfest's VIP area had those special trailer pottys. That was something I was ever so grateful for at coach! I love those trailer pottys. I just cant do the porta potty ones.

MarkO
11-21-2007, 09:25 AM
Those VIP areas at Vegoose were ridiculous. They were off to one side or the other. No real better view of the stage at all.

TheWatcher
11-24-2007, 09:25 AM
no way. Only rich snobby assholes would end up in the front and ruin the vibe.

Agreed. When we saw NIN at Coachella, we were close to the stage, on the left. There was a gate on the fence on the left side, and a trail of "VIP" people kept walking in and out, in and out, getting their alcohol. It was really annoying.

Rap/rock Is Life
11-24-2007, 11:02 AM
seats mean no moshing, fukk dat shit! and get rid of tha other stages cuz nobody ever goes there. i only did for tha nightwatchman which sukked cuz i had 2 give up my spot for chilli pepperz and it wuz a long walk.

suprefan
11-24-2007, 12:48 PM
No, this isnt Stagecoach........

KiLlAClOwNz
11-24-2007, 03:30 PM
seats mean no moshing, fukk dat shit! and get rid of tha other stages cuz nobody ever goes there. i only did for tha nightwatchman which sukked cuz i had 2 give up my spot for chilli pepperz and it wuz a long walk.

CHILI PEPPERS SUCK. FUCKIN POSOR.

JustSteve
11-24-2007, 03:49 PM
apologize for not being clear, but left of the stage/on the stage are equally distractive... especially when there is a constant camera flash coming from the direction your looking in

you mean like this? whoops...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/forgotaboutsteve/IMG_0197.jpg

suprefan
11-24-2007, 07:21 PM
Is that Lindsey Lohan on the right of the pic texting on her phone cause she sees Scar Jo?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-25-2007, 06:38 AM
hell no....

rage patton
11-25-2007, 09:24 PM
I'd like to see someone body surf, while sitting in a chair.

BTW - Stagecoach sold 400 tickets at $493 a ticket within a matter of seconds.

Wait... wtf? I just realized Stagecoach has reserved seating at the mainstage.
Are you kidding me? Thats so... weird.

Also, did anyone notice Stagecoach has a sponsor?

Wheres the beef?
11-25-2007, 11:28 PM

Looks like they had to set their ticket price within the $1million limit of festival cost.

Daft Fro
11-26-2007, 03:35 AM
gold circle pit tickets?: No Hell No

With Coachella at 3 days now, it is a beast out there surviving (especially if you're camping!!!). And I don't like the idea of people kicking it in beer gardens, then finally venturing out to the gold circle spot for headliners. Fucks up the vibe.

Money divisions are never a good thing. VIP is everywhere obviously, but at coachella it is a twist of money/hookup division. Nothing to be envious about, cause the party is out on the fields anyway.

There is a sense of crazy endurance and contentment after waiting for a while before a headliner comes on at Coachella. I got to the Daft Punk pit 3.5hrs early just to make sure I had a bomb spot. You talk and connect to people who are true fans, because they are there hardcoring it, and having a good time too.

You don't need to add more tier statuses to attending coachella. Now, that doesn't mean I am not hoping for my VIP connections to come through this year...lol, but I'm just saying ;)

suprefan
11-26-2007, 02:46 PM

Yes we noticed. The sponsor is up the alley of the audience being reached. Coachella has sponsors too, like its something new? Its just not ''Heineken presents: Coachella''

And have you ever been to a Country music concert, event, etc etc? Didnt think so, it sounds weird, but its justifiable for this.

And its the Mane stage, get it?

rage patton
11-26-2007, 05:36 PM
I guess country music fans dont care about corporate sponsors.

The indie kids that go to coachella care though.

Personaly, as long as Coachella doesnt change its stage names to sponsor names, im fine with as many sponsors as they throw at us.

Bud Luster
11-27-2007, 02:23 PM

Personaly, as long as Coachella doesnt change its stage names to sponsor names, im fine with as many sponsors as they throw at us.

Nah, country fans dont get all butt hurt about corporate sponsorship. They are all bearded as long as they are getting the twang. The attenedees that own Tundras will get exited and Yell "WOOOOOOOOOOOO TOYOTA!"

andronicus
11-28-2007, 12:27 PM
paying for pit = teh gheyness

i'd rather go to warped tour (ugh) than pay to get into the pit.

Courtney
11-29-2007, 10:44 AM
I dunno. The problem with the fight-it-out mentality is that when you have a big name at the end of the night, people are just going to sit at the front barricade all day long, even when they probably don't know/like the bands playing earlier in the day. If selling special gold circle pit tickets would prevent that from happening because people would feel free to mingle and then come later in the day and know they still had a spot saved up front, I might be for it. Especially if it was a first-come-first-served or priority was given to members of the various bands' fan clubs or something instead of just being super expensive. Although I think it still probably wouldn't totally solve the problem of people sitting at one stage all day.

Alchemy
11-29-2007, 08:04 PM
MAL! NO ES BUENO!

Snakeface
12-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Definitely not!!! it would equal more hassles and restrictions.

Vote PLUMP DJ's '08!!!

faxman75
12-08-2007, 06:53 PM
Terrible idea. No exclusive ticket areas in front of any stages.

microcuts
12-09-2007, 12:58 PM

I'm glad you know how performers on stage feel then.

JustSteve
12-09-2007, 01:39 PM
And its the Mane stage, get it?

should be the "Supercuts Mane stage", or "Fantastic Sam's Mane Stage", they could have a tent on site with free mullet trim's. i am actually thinking of doing a mullet for next year's show, old school billy ray cyrus style...

Pemakarpo
12-14-2007, 03:42 PM
So, I already talked about bonnaroo once on the boards today, but here goes:

they actually have a pretty sick system at their main stage, where everyone can have a chance up at the front. there are feeder lines on the wings of the audience, and they cycle out the front part between each act.....not a bad system.....my personal pref. is being halfway back for most every band...gives me a lot more autonomy, as I usually like running around with my headfull of whatever t is that I've purveyed...whatever...i digress....and I can't fuckin' wait.

All That I Am
12-15-2007, 02:15 PM
I say why not!
Fuck it, its not like last year a bunch of assholes didn't just hang around the main stage on sunday anyway. Those poor dudes that sing always take the weather with you.
Anyway fuck em. it should be a small circle in the area where the security can walk around. and tickets should be 1,000 dollars a day.
All benefits go to lowering the price of beer by two bucks.

gaypalmsprings
12-15-2007, 02:16 PM
You know you'd pay to have a reserved place up front - that is, if you had the money.

PrettyRagdoll
01-09-2008, 10:56 PM
You know you'd pay to have a reserved place up front - that is, if you had the money.

To true.

I'd also complain about how loud everyone not in the main stage were

howardbear
01-15-2008, 04:05 AM
not ever

thaOfacemaker
01-15-2008, 06:27 AM

Ever watched NASCAR, they care about shiny things.

elChurro
01-15-2008, 08:08 AM
can you say... riot?

ghettojournalist
01-15-2008, 08:14 AM
hell to the no!

C DUB YA
01-15-2008, 10:24 AM
I say... um... no.

luveebunni08
01-15-2008, 12:43 PM
I dunno. The problem with the fight-it-out mentality is that when you have a big name at the end of the night, people are just going to sit at the front barricade all day long, even when they probably don't know/like the bands playing earlier in the day. If selling special gold circle pit tickets would prevent that from happening because people would feel free to mingle and then come later in the day and know they still had a spot saved up front, I might be for it. Especially if it was a first-come-first-served or priority was given to members of the various bands' fan clubs or something instead of just being super expensive. Although I think it still probably wouldn't totally solve the problem of people sitting at one stage all day.

that's their sacrifice to see the band they wish. if bowie played (which i highly doubt) i would probably spend most, if not all, of the day against the railing. that's what's great about GA, if you don't like where you are you can move.

Gyrus
01-15-2008, 10:05 PM
A big fat fucking no.
Fight your way to the front like everyone else.

Neutral Milk Hotel
01-16-2008, 06:39 PM

This is the most honest thing that's been said in this thread.

damagedsiren
01-21-2008, 11:54 AM
no, the VIP's already bugged me but that is just me.

Coachella Bound
01-21-2008, 12:03 PM
No, youve got to earn your spot.................

knit1pearl2
01-21-2008, 01:12 PM
yes

boarderwoozel3
01-21-2008, 01:44 PM
Worst idea ever.

Waiting for hours to make sure you get a good spot for your favorite band makes the experience all the better. Ushering yuppie shits to the front when their good and ready is so lame.

Max Cady
01-21-2008, 10:36 PM
No go. we don
t want Striped shirts in the front row for Kraftwerk

andromedarkly
01-21-2008, 10:44 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks waiting all day for your fave band isn't the crime of the century...you do what you have to do...

I did it last year for Faithless in the Sahara tent...it was sort of worth it, no, it was definitely worth it!

This year, it will be Sasha & Digweed on Saturday...maybe I won't die of thirst and faint...

The rest of the time, I'll take my chances...mingling is cool...

And to the question of VIP tickets...

HELL NO!

momof5
01-22-2008, 07:49 AM
For me I already spend way too much for tickets for 5 and 2 hotel rooms not to mention all the food! But if the crazy fans who stay in one spot all day in front of bands they are not interested in and destroy others pleasure could have a guarantee of their spot I say I am all for it--Get out of the way when you are not the least bit interested in what's on Stage--there is so much going on --go have fun somewhere else. This is also my complaint about concerts lately--loud partying people who don't really want to hear the band and keep fans from enjoying the experience!

sacleonard
01-22-2008, 10:06 AM
I would actually consider changing my vote, if the extra revenue was directly allocated into quality headliners.

PrettyRagdoll
01-22-2008, 05:03 PM
This is the most honest thing that's been said in this thread.

No it isn't. implies that the rest of us secretly wish to be rich snobs. Either you have that it's all about the music and I'll fight for my spot mentality... Or you're punk and you want to walk to the front after lounging while everyone around you glares.

andromedarkly
01-23-2008, 11:01 AM
Regarding the 'hang at the front all day' thing...

I'm a trance addict, so I didn't have any problem hanging around thru several acts last year to get on the rail for Faithless.

When I got there, I watched some guy I have now forgotten, and then came Benni Bennasi, eh, ok...then, Felix da Housecat...fantastic...and after he was done, a lot of people left, and I was able to move forward to the rail. Paul Oakenfold was next, good tunes, bad attitude in my opinion, but overall, a spirited set.

And that was my wait for Faithless. I didn't hang around all day thru bands I didn't like, maybe some I'd never seen before, but I liked them all. And I am willing to guess that most people who wait thru a bunch of bands to get to the headliner will feel the same, or at least get to hear and maybe end up liking a band they've never heard before.

After all that waiting, it would definitely suck if a bunch of elite types got to scurry their way in to some roped off area. Would suck big time.

Waiting is not a crime. VIP would be a crime.

No to VIP.

Courtney
01-23-2008, 06:33 PM
The reason I have a problem with people hanging out in the front all day through bands they dislike or don't know about isn't because of people like you, andromedarkly. It's because of people like the Rage Against the Machine fans from last year who thought it was ok to chant "RAGE RAGE RAGE" through the Crowded House set, and even thought it was amusing to throw things, in the process hitting Neil Finn in the face with a soda bottle while he was in the middle of a song.

There were people there who were Crowded House fans -- people who would have loved to be up front experiencing that set up close and personal. But their experience was less enjoyable because of the large quantities of Rage fans at the front, many of whom were rowdy and making noise and otherwise destroying the listening experience. That sort of behavior is not ok.

If there were some sort of gold circle pit tickets available, which could help to make sure that the sort of thing I just described did not happen, I would seriously consider it as a viable option.

wstsidela
01-23-2008, 07:40 PM
I bought VIP tickets two years ago. I won't do it again. The only advantage is the hard liquor bar in the VIP area. It doesn't get you closer, but you do get to hang with the rich kids :poo

BillyCrystal
02-26-2008, 11:55 AM
no. assigned areas are fine for ordinary concerts, but seem contrary to the vibe of a music festival.