PDA

View Full Version : Ticket Community

RotationSlimWang
11-15-2007, 06:28 PM
Alright, so one of the projects of my new job involves helping my boss do some research to improve a site he started recently to try to make a social networking site specifically for people to share their experiences at concerts, sporting events, or theatre. Basically like myspace specifically engineering towards events you might want to buy tickets for--you can search for and find pretty much any event you might want (particularly in California and Las Vegas, might not work so well in NY, I don't know, but it definitely turns up dates in other some other areas I've seen).

You can search for a band, sports team, or venue for example and it will provide you some pretty detailed info on the event as well as pull up an aggregation of tickets available through a couple dozen ticket reselling agencies. I would like to note that our particular agency actually does not come up in the aggregator--my boss specifically wants to avoid being perceived as trying to pimp his ticket vendor and frankly we don't need the help directing traffic, we do just fine. He is, in fact, kind of a romantic about the significance of tickets--has hung on to every stub he's ever had, that sort of shit--and he hopes that in a few years time this could be a profitable business through ad revenue on the site, separate from any ticket selling business.

The site is still kinda in a beta stage but finally getting to the point of being truly ready to roll out. I have been asked to do whatever I can in testing the site and coming up with improvements, and I'd like to ask the board to help out if they feel like it. If you need incentive, there are contests every month--this month's prize being 300 dollars cash--in which prizes are awarded to the community member who contributes the most event albums for the month. Albums should include either photos or video and preferably a little account of the event although not entirely necessary.

You can upload up to 70 pics at a maximum of 3 mb per pic for each album, and videos are capped at 20 mb (I know, I know--I told them today that they had to at least match 100 mb or nobody would bother) but pretty much any of the general video formats are accepted I do believe. The cap for each account is something like 5 gigs, so you're given quite a bit of space to upload shit, and if you hit your cap there's a good chance we'll extend another 5 your way.

Please register, check it out, and feel free to bombard me with anything you think should be done differently. There's something of a blogging capability already I think, message board soon to follow, and I was just talking to them today about increasing the referencing capability of the search so that you'll be able to pull up everyone else's experiences by venue or artist or event and thus hopefully be able to see a review of every other show attended at, say, The Wiltern of everyone on the site. I think this could be a pretty cool fucking idea, honestly. And I told him that the Coachella board is the most discerning group of concert fanatics on the internet, so don't let me down.

Plus, you can win money.

www.lemon

PM me suggestions, or hit my email address on my profile.

And if we could refrain from saying anything about me in this thread that might be inappropriate for my boss to read, that'd be cool too. Otherwise I'll just fucking ignore your ass.

full on idle
11-15-2007, 06:31 PM
HEY RANDY'S BOSS WE DON'T LIKE SPAM

RotationSlimWang
11-15-2007, 06:38 PM
Blow me, FOI. Try it, don't try it, I'm not trying to sell you anything.

wmgaretjax
11-15-2007, 06:42 PM
man, Randy's a smart guy. I'm sure he deserves a raise.

Just because Randy is a part of this, I'll click on the link.

What a swell guy.

RotationSlimWang
11-15-2007, 06:46 PM
You're a bunch of wags. Funny wags, but wags nonetheless.

Seriously, I wasn't expecting that many of you to really respond to this, but I figure I owe it to my employer to at least take a shot. ::shrug:: And I legitimately believe that it could be a useful resource a little while down the line when there's enough members to really turn out a large community of feedback. Imagine if every show review on this board could be disseminated by venue, artist, as well as the specific date. You could find any of Supre's advice on where there's free parking at any of these joints, reviews of specific seat locations with pictures to go with them, vids of the performances and so on and so forth without having to go through an entire thread.

::shrug::

suprefan
11-16-2007, 01:29 AM
I think the stigma to this is that we all know who you work for, and in the end we dont like your boss, just saying. You do have a point when it comes to there being enough information on any place/event and being able to find things in a cinch, it will take time for this to get somewhere.

RotationSlimWang
11-16-2007, 01:44 AM
I think the stigma to this is that we all know who you work for, and in the end we dont like your boss, just saying. You do have a point when it comes to there being enough information on any place/event and being able to find things in a cinch, it will take time for this to get somewhere.

Okay, I can fully understand that. But let me divulge a little secret to you guys--the ticket reselling market is going to be fucked in five years for individual brokers. Between stubhub and ebay and shit, it can't go on for too long, which was part of the reason he wanted to start this site. There's nothing greedy or malicious about his intentions here--well not beyond the fact that in starting a business he hopes to make money, but not because he wants to be selling tickets through it. Like i said, and you can believe me or not, our tickets don't even list on there.

I mean, the extent to which you'll be helping my boss I suppose is there, but moreover you would be helping me, and helping me in a respect that doesn't necessarily promote ticket reselling as much as gives the patrons of this site a chance to search a wide berth of agencies to find tickets to events they might want to see. I know none of us care for scalpers, but sometimes you need sold out tickets, no? So sometimes you could probably use a search engine like this, maybe.

I asked you folks mostly because (a) you're all well versed in the net, (b) you generally have good critiques of sites and what you might want out of them as music and concert fans, and (c) right now there's no one on there posting any concert shit, it's all sporting events. Hell, I'm not even saying you necessarily have to try to add a whole ton of content--just if you maybe happen to be bored and you wanted to go over there, create a profile in two seconds, and just poke around and see if you can think of any suggestions for how this site could better serve YOUR wants out of something like this. That's my role in all this: he's put it on me to come back to him with what this site could provide to concert fanatics like myself that would make it useful to us.

And if you want, Chris, you could win these little contests they have no problem. It'd be easy as shit with the number of shows you go to. Just sayin'.

Eventually there will be something like this for the crowd like us. Right now I don't think there's any competition in this area, so with any luck it will be this site. If you want, you can help contribute to making it something we'd actually want as opposed to some evil/ghey myspace bullshit.

I don't blame anyone who tells me to go fuck myself. Still, I could use some two cents being thrown my way if you feel like it.

Thanks either way. But I don't consider this spam--this is my job, and I'm asking you guys for feedback. I probably wouldn't bother with this if it was somebody else posting this thread, though, so I dig either way.

gaypalmsprings
11-16-2007, 07:29 AM
www.ticketcommunity.com (http://www.stubhub.com)

Thanks for the link. Great job.

TomAz
11-16-2007, 07:43 AM
Randy. please explain what differentiates your boss's company and website from similar companies. i.e., what makes ticketcommunity.com better than, say, www.ticketsnow.com ?

Yablonowitz
11-16-2007, 07:51 AM

Stop fucking shrugging. No smilies, no shrugs. Get right with God.

canexplain
11-16-2007, 08:19 AM
randy, do you want any input from me or am i out of your demographics ... canx**

TomAz
11-16-2007, 08:20 AM
ron, i would think that if you have money, you're in their demographics. Click on his link, you'll see what I mean.

RotationSlimWang
11-16-2007, 10:50 AM
No no no, see the parts of the site I want you guys to look at aren't the looking for tickets aspect--we've got that pretty well covered. It's the interface for recording the experience you had at said event: the pic/video upload, etc. They have a pretty standard profile page for the most part. The idea is quite honestly to focus on the social networking aspect of it but at the same time be providing the opportunity for folks to search for tickets to any event they might want to go to.

There's some changes I'm already pushing for them to make: addition of a message board which is already in the works; and to update the search function so that you can search for other members experiences (recorded in albums--I think if you go to your home page after creating an account there's a link somewhere in the upper right-hand side of the screen for Create An Album, that'd be a good place to start for helping me out) by as many variables as possible.

Yes, I know there is the ticket selling function. Please ignore that for these intents and purposes, as it's neither the focus of my assignment nor is it what my boss is concerned with. Throwing a ticket aggregator on a page is easy work, that's what the site was originally before my boss bought it. He wanted me to work on coming up with ideas to make it a desirable and complete resource for people who are passionate about the shows/games they've been to. Right now I believe the only profiles with any albums on them are the folks that have been working on the site--all fucking sports--and the couple I've started.

RotationSlimWang
11-16-2007, 10:51 AM
randy, do you want any input from me or am i out of your demographics ... canx**

Ron, actually you're pretty much perfect. You're a guy who loves going to shows and I'm willing to bet works pretty hard to save his memories. Do you save tickets from all your shows? My boss has such a thing for saving tickets from every show he's been to he put in a Ticket section in the albums, so that you could I guess scan your ticket and upload the picture of it. I'm willing to bet you're the kinda guy who has almost every ticket you've ever bought--he'd like you.

RotationSlimWang
11-16-2007, 10:52 AM
Stop fucking shrugging. No smilies, no shrugs. Get right with God.

I'll stop shrugging and smiling when you learn how to use adjectives in your poll titles. SLACKER!

=)

J~$$$
11-16-2007, 11:29 AM
Do I get free tickets for doing this? Im not doing your job for you, slacker.

RotationSlimWang
11-16-2007, 11:30 AM
No. Hey, I don't blame you if you don't want to, like I said I wouldn't. The only incentive I can find is the prizes. I knew starting this thread would be backlash-heavy, but I told the man I'd do it.

suprefan
11-16-2007, 11:44 AM
You are making valid points Randy and good arguments. I will look into this when I get home some more. Yeah I wanna see these prizes.

RotationSlimWang
11-16-2007, 11:58 AM
Thanks Supre. And I'd like to stress again that right now it's lacking some of the functions I envision it should have. I'd just appreciate it if you diehard fans would like to poke around what they're allowing you to do already in creating full memory collection of the event through whatever means we can put on a website and tell me anything you can think of that you might want added, or changed, etc. It's not so we can sell tickets, I legitimately would like to make this as useful as possible to people like ourselves. So swing over, take a look at what you can post there already and tell me anything and everything you wish there could be too--these people are taking my advice seriously and they want to know what those of us who live for shows would want, and will probably give it up if I tell them. So maybe we can turn this into something cool you might want to be a part of anyway.

I think I'm also going to get on them to throw up linking and embedding codes on every pic or video you upload. 5 or 10 gigs of space for pics and videos easily that can be easily referenced might not be bad, after I get them to bump up the vids to a 100mb limit at least. What is the competition like, for those of you who upload a shit ton of pics and videos online? I don't mean sendspace or any of that. Supre, what's the best site for hosting such content when considered by the limitations?

Yablonowitz
11-16-2007, 11:59 AM
I'll stop shrugging and smiling when you learn how to use adjectives in your poll titles. SLACKER!

=)

Difference - accidental versus willful.

RotationSlimWang
11-16-2007, 12:01 PM
Difference - accidental versus willful.

Accidents are excuses. Either way, somebody's fucking up. Stop fucking up.

Yablonowitz
11-16-2007, 12:04 PM
Accidents are excuses. Either way, somebody's fucking up. Stop fucking up.

Stop shrugging first.

RotationSlimWang
11-16-2007, 12:05 PM
Okay, so the areas I'm concerned with you'll find if you click the Experience button on the top link bar. You can pull up any albums of pictures or videos by event, venue, or user. And also check out creating some of your own if you like. Ignore the tickets. Management thanks you. Heh.

RotationSlimWang
11-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Stop shrugging first.

I'll stop shrugging when you stop defaming the illustrious LGM in your sig.

Yablonowitz
11-16-2007, 12:08 PM
I'll stop shrugging when you stop defaming the illustrious LGM in your sig.

Jesus Christ - what took you so long?

RotationSlimWang
11-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Jesus Christ - what took you so long?

I'm not that easily baited, sir. Just wait until 12-11-07.

psychic friend
11-16-2007, 12:17 PM
a scalper social network. oh joy.

randy dont post your scalper related S here. Im only going to say it once ok. Best to just understand that.

RotationSlimWang
11-16-2007, 12:26 PM
Ugh, fine. The site isn't even fucking live, I'm not trying to promote selling any tickets, but fine.

RotationSlimWang
11-16-2007, 12:28 PM
And it's not a scalper social network, it's a consumer social network. Pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt.

shakermaker113
11-16-2007, 12:32 PM
you'll be able to pull up everyone else's experiences by venue or artist or event and thus hopefully be able to see a review of every other show attended at, say, The Wiltern of everyone on the site. I think this could be a pretty cool fucking idea, honestly.

ooh. I like that idea. like an archive of concert reviews, picures, footage, memories, all organized complete with the band/setlist/venue/date information that usually gets lost. it'd be like the radiohead show archives at ateaseweb.com, only for all concerts. not just radiohead concerts.

there's some value in that. I'll take a look over the weekend.

brando4n82
11-16-2007, 12:42 PM
I think the stigma to this is that we all know who you work for, and in the end we dont like your boss, just saying.

Who is the boss that I dont like? oh, i mean we. or am i just tard for not knowing?

xbnmx
11-16-2007, 01:44 PM

Who does he pump cock for?

RotationSlimWang
11-16-2007, 02:44 PM
The hatred for my boss is that the other companies he owns are ticket resellers. But those companies are kept seperate from this site, I give you my word--he specifically wanted these to be two seperate entities. The tickets you can buy on ticketcommunity are from outlets that he has no financial interest in because it would (a) look bad and (b) it could end up being legally actionable to the other resellers.

Listen, I don't blame anyone for hating the other things my boss does certainly, and generally I support the thought but I'm just trying to promote something that I think is a good idea, not trying to get some other ticket resellers sales. We make no money off that shit, it's not the priority of this. Swear on my father's soul.

TomAz
11-16-2007, 02:54 PM
does the world really need another social networking site?