PDA

View Full Version : Nando, prepare yourself...

Stefinitely Maybe
11-13-2007, 05:18 AM
I will be in NYC from the afternoon of December 17th to the afternoon of December 21st. I expect there to be drinks and shenanigans.

If any of the rest of you will be in NYC around that time, let me know.

thinnerair
11-13-2007, 05:31 AM
i ll be here. Partying.

Stefinitely Maybe
11-13-2007, 05:35 AM
Sweet, count me in.

thinnerair
11-13-2007, 06:07 AM
Maybe Mike will come out and have some drinks too.
We can hit up this local open mic on the 19th.

Stefinitely Maybe
11-13-2007, 06:16 AM
Do they supply all the equipment? I won't be bringing my guitar.

thinnerair
11-13-2007, 06:21 AM
Do they supply all the equipment? I won't be bringing my guitar.

I ll bring a guitar...for you.

captncrzy
11-13-2007, 06:25 AM
Oh sure, Nando. Entertain Steph while HE'S in NYC but not me. =(

thinnerair
11-13-2007, 06:36 AM

you shut your mouth.

captncrzy
11-13-2007, 08:21 AM
My feelings are hurt.

Waaaa.

Tylerdurden31
11-13-2007, 09:04 AM
i might be willing...

Stefinitely Maybe
11-13-2007, 09:07 AM

The next person to spell my name with a PH gets a kick in the mouth.

marooko
11-13-2007, 09:10 AM
steph, why you so violent?

thinnerair
11-13-2007, 09:11 AM
My feelings are hurt.

Waaaa.

Stef actually asked me to hang out so he might actually get to hang out.
Though last year he said he was coming through and flaked on us, so we'll see what happens.

captncrzy
11-13-2007, 10:39 AM
The next person to spell my name with a PH gets a kick in the mouth.

Shit, please don't kick me in the mouth. My teeth are one of my best features. Can you please kick me in the stomach or ass instead? kthxbye.

captncrzy
11-13-2007, 10:39 AM
Stef actually asked me to hang out so he might actually get to hang out.
Though last year he said he was coming through and flaked on us, so we'll see what happens.

You're right, I should've asked.

Stefinitely Maybe
11-14-2007, 03:19 AM
Actually, maybe you guys could give me some advice. I went to New York last year, for the first time, and I loved it. This time there's a few things I want to do again (get some good bagels, walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, go back to the Met and Central Park) but I don't feel any need to see all the main tourist stuff again, so could you recommend any new stuff I should see / do?

Here's some of the stuff I've already done, which I remember from last year...

-Going to Ground Zero.
-Walking around Battery Park.
-Taking the Staten Island Ferry, to see the Statue of Liberty up close.
-Going to see the Ghostbusters building on N Moore Street!
-Visiting each of the five boroughs.
-Going to the NY Public Library.
-Walking across the Brooklyn Bridge.
-Going to the Bronx Zoo.
-Walking down Fifth Ave.
-Going to the Top of the Rock.
-Going to the top of the Empire State Building.
-Walking around Central Park.
-Going to see the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade balloons being inflated, the night before Thanksgiving.
-Eating turkey on Thanksgiving and watching the NFL games on TV.
-Eating amazing food at some restaurants.
-Checking out the bars and clubs.
-Taking the subway, and yellow cabs.
-Buying a hotdog and a pretzel from a street vendor.
-Bagels.
-Going to the Met Museum.
-Going to the Guggenheim Museum.
-Going to the Natural History Museum.
-Going to the Rockafeller Centre.
-Going to Grand Central Station.
-Going to lots and lots of cool shops and spending far too much money (I bought a new bass guitar at the Guitar Center near Union Square - they were very helpful and had decent prices!).

And these were some of my absolute favourite places:

-Rocketship Comics, at 208 Smith Street in Brooklyn. An amazing comic shop with really helpful staff!
-Cafe Luluc at 214 Smith Street in Brooklyn. An amazing restaurant just a few doors down from Rocketship! I had the best steak I have ever tasted in here.
-Dos Caminos at 475 W Broadway. A fantastic Mexican restaurant with the best guacamole dip EVER.
-Sapa at 43 West 24th Street. AMAZING French Asian cuisine. The best meal I have ever had. And they have a special $15 menu, which included an entire lobster! They also played really good music. If I lived in NYC, I would go here often, and take girls here on dates.
-The Lotus Club at 409 W 14th Street. A really cool club / restaurant / bar on three levels, with all different kinds of music. I went to the Black Friday party here (you can see pictures on lastnightsparty.com, although I promise you it wasn't as raunchy as it looks!). Also I thought this area of the city was really interesting, and very different to the rest. It almost felt European!
-Barcade at 388 Union Ave in Brooklyn. A cool bar with video games!
-The Crocodile Lounge at 325 E 14th Street, near Union Square. Free pizza with your drinks, and skeeball!
-Dylan's Candy Bar at 1011 3rd Ave. An amazing candy store! It was like being in Willy Wonka's factory! I bought loads of Christmas presents for my friends and family in here.

So, what should I do this time around? Is it worth seeing Coney Island at that time of year? Is there likely to be snow? And what sports events / concerts will be happening at that time?

Thank you!!!

Edit: Okay, I just checked online, and apparently these three games will be happening while I'm there:

1. New York Knicks v Indiana Pacers
12/17/2007 7:30 PM
Madison Square Garden

2. New York Rangers v Pittsburgh Penguins
12/18/2007 7:00 PM
Madison Square Garden

3. New York Knicks v Cleveland Cavaliers
12/19/2007 7:30 PM
Madison Square Garden

Which of these games would you go to if you were me, and why?

sonofhal
11-14-2007, 03:54 AM
I'm looking forward to my first trip to New York in January, so i'll be after travel tips upon your return. Anyone know any good live music guide websites for New York?

thinnerair
11-14-2007, 04:31 AM
Hockey games at the Garden are usually quite entertaining. I've never been to a Rangers game, but know the Islanders games are usually fun to watch people yelling and being wasted. The hockey games themselves are usually pretty entertaining as well.

You can see Spike Lee and Jerry Seinfeld at a Knicks game. Maybe you should bring Lando.

Brother Jimmys on the Upper West Side(Amsterdam & West 81st?) has all-you-can-eat chicken wings and smoked ribs with all-you-can-drink pitchers of Budweiser for like $14 during the NFL games. It's a bit intense.

Stefinitely Maybe
11-14-2007, 05:33 AM
I'm looking forward to my first trip to New York in January, so i'll be after travel tips upon your return. Anyone know any good live music guide websites for New York?

ohmyrockness.com/ (http://www.ohmyrockness.com/) and pollstar.com/ (http://www.pollstar.com/) are the best ones I've found so far.

Stefinitely Maybe
11-15-2007, 05:48 AM
You can see Spike Lee and Jerry Seinfeld at a Knicks game. Maybe you should bring Lando.

This sold it for me. I got tickets for the Knicks - Cavaliers game.

thinnerair
11-15-2007, 05:59 AM
This sold it for me. I got tickets for the Knicks - Cavaliers game.

nice work. those tix arent cheap, are they?

Also, brooklynvegan.com is pretty good about local events and gossip.

Stefinitely Maybe
11-15-2007, 06:17 AM
nice work. those tix arent cheap, are they?

Nope, but I'm taking my sisters, so at least that's their Christmas gifts taken care of.

sonofhal
11-24-2007, 12:30 PM
Stef - Dec 19th. The Setting Suns (Interpol/Swevedriver side project) are playing at The Mercury Lounge. Might be worth checking out while you are there.

http://www.myspace.com/thesettingsuns

Booked my flights last night. Jan 12th - Jan 18th.