PDA

View Full Version : Absolute Beginners...

maofilm
10-24-2007, 03:59 PM
Well, at last, after several years trying to, we are travelling to Coachella 2008.
As an absolute beginner I have lots of questions that you expert coachella junkies can help me solve.
We are planning on going to a hotel, motel or what ever is available. From what I have seen, hotels are quite expensive and already sold out, but the ones more far away of course are cheaper and maybe not already booked.
My first question is, if for instance if we stay in Palm springs, if there are buses or any kind of transport back and forth to the festival ? Do these buses go around all the day ? If there are no buses, shall we definetely have a car ?
Is parking ( your car) expensive at the festival site ? Is parking a chaos ?
Is staying at palm springs or even more far away a good move ?

ok. thanks for the advice...

gaypalmsprings
10-24-2007, 04:10 PM
yes

menikmati
10-24-2007, 04:33 PM
parking is free....I suggest you camp onsite.

goodgrl
10-24-2007, 07:26 PM
driving/park situation absolute nightmare.
totally worth it though!

summerkid
10-24-2007, 07:29 PM
I camp every year and its what i reccomend.

mvanwinkle
10-24-2007, 07:30 PM
camp. last year was my first year. and i thought about going to a hotel. but luckily i camped. camping made my experience at caochella so much better. not only is it cheap. your right on the grounds so no hassle about traffic every night.

dontfeedthebird
10-24-2007, 09:41 PM
I'm getting a motel. But if it's your first year, you should camp.

if there are buses or any kind of transport back and forth to the festival ? Do these buses go around all the day ? No. And the taxi/mom/dad dropoff point is at least two miles away from the entrance(?) Maybe I'm exaggerating. I don't know. People will give you beer on the way, because you'll be moving faster than traffic.

If there are no buses, shall we definetely have a car ? Rent a car regardless of where you stay. Peace o' mind.

Is parking ( your car) expensive at the festival site ? Like she said, parking is free.

Is parking a chaos ? Yes. And it's far far away from the entrance. As in, 3/4 of a mile. Srsly.

Is staying at palm springs or even more far away a good move ? No it's not. You'll be tired.

Just camp. You'll have a blast as long as you're not a princess.

algunz
10-24-2007, 09:46 PM
Yes, driving and parking can be a pain in the ass - but I've had many of my best Coachella memories made in the process. Some local hotels have vans that go to the venue, but staying at a hotel and renting a car IMO is the best option. Having a pool/spa, shower, and quiet is awesome.

orbit
10-24-2007, 11:04 PM
Bird speaks the truth. Camping is the way to go.

dontfeedthebird
10-24-2007, 11:19 PM
Bird speaks the truth. Camping is the way to go.

I like orbit. And why didn't we meet again?

captncrzy
10-25-2007, 07:25 AM
Well, at last, after several years trying to, we are travelling to Coachella 2008.
As an absolute beginner I have lots of questions that you expert coachella junkies can help me solve.
We are planning on going to a hotel, motel or what ever is available. From what I have seen, hotels are quite expensive and already sold out, but the ones more far away of course are cheaper and maybe not already booked.
My first question is, if for instance if we stay in Palm springs, if there are buses or any kind of transport back and forth to the festival ? Do these buses go around all the day ? If there are no buses, shall we definetely have a car ?
Is parking ( your car) expensive at the festival site ? Is parking a chaos ?
Is staying at palm springs or even more far away a good move ?

ok. thanks for the advice...

Just weigh what's more important to you-sleeping in air conditioning after being in the hot sun all day or not wanting to deal with traffic.

Courtney
10-25-2007, 09:18 AM
Just camp. You'll have a blast as long as you're not a princess.

*as long as it's not 2004 temperatures.

Courtney
10-25-2007, 09:19 AM
Just weigh what's more important to you-sleeping in air conditioning after being in the hot sun all day or not wanting to deal with traffic.

Also cost.

captncrzy
10-25-2007, 09:34 AM
Also cost.

That's a good point. I keep forgetting how cheap it is to camp. If it were not for the heat, I'd camp myself.

Courtney
10-25-2007, 09:37 AM
Yeah. I agree.

Well, and also I like taking extravagantly long showers in private bathrooms. Although now I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't reveal that or else I will get kicked out of my shared house plans. Just kidding guys! Maybe?

fatbastard
10-25-2007, 09:57 AM
VCL7kkn7MJQ

ewiggy
10-25-2007, 11:26 AM
Yeah. I agree.

Well, and also I like taking extravagantly long showers in private bathrooms. Although now I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't reveal that or else I will get kicked out of my shared house plans. Just kidding guys! Maybe?

you're making us pancakes. we can't kick out the pancakemaker.

ArcadeParade
10-25-2007, 07:05 PM
This is how it goes...staying in a hotel that is in Palm Springs is the same as staying in a hotel that is more than walking distance away:

It isn't the drive to the venue that sucks, it is the ridiculousness that awaits you while you are willing to pay $1000 just to park your car. we waited close to 2 hours to leave the grounds sunday last year, and we had a 7am flight in Vegas...that we made!

miscorrections
10-25-2007, 07:08 PM
pancakes 4 lyfe.

captncrzy
10-25-2007, 07:39 PM
Hey, it's ALL about where you park. Last year on Saturday night, we walked to our car and cruised right out. No waiting, no traffic, nothing. I guess it was just the lot they put us in. Of course, now I don't remember where the hell it was so I won't be able to pull a repeat.

Courtney
10-26-2007, 01:32 AM
you're making us pancakes. we can't kick out the pancakemaker.

Woohoo!

Also park near the parking lot exit. Always.

ArcadeParade
10-26-2007, 08:20 AM
Hey, it's ALL about where you park. Last year on Saturday night, we walked to our car and cruised right out. No waiting, no traffic, nothing. I guess it was just the lot they put us in. Of course, now I don't remember where the hell it was so I won't be able to pull a repeat.

Ya totally, we we kinda ok day 1 and 2 (not great but not a catastrophe). day 3 we were put in the lot right by the gate, it was hell just getting out of our little cube nevermind out of the actual compound.

disgustipated
10-26-2007, 08:29 AM
Also park near the parking lot exit. Always.

Truf!

I waited a total of 20 minutes to leave the lot the entire weekend. The first few rows were barracaded and the lot attendant would try to make us go to a back lot, I would get out, move the barrier and park 10 ft from the exit.

trashle626
10-26-2007, 08:34 AM
last year on saturday, my sis couldnt hang and started
puking everywhere.
we left slightly early and it was smooth sailing.
it's convienant to leave a little early, i guess.

amyzzz
10-26-2007, 10:22 AM
Camping really does save you from the traffic, but you have to wander around in the heat a lot, and you don't get a decent bathroom or shower. You can shower, but you have to wait in line for it. Also, if you don't want to rent a car, definitely check out the carpool forum, and maybe you can get a ride.

I suggest if you don't camp, arrive when the parking opens, which I think is 9am. And leave early if you can, or just kick back and take a nap in your car, and THEN leave. That's my plan. I will probably be staying in Palm Springs again this year, so I hope the traffic won't kill me.

Courtney
10-26-2007, 12:03 PM
I'm not entirely convinced that arriving early guarantees the best parking spot. Sure, it might be one which is closer to the entrance for the polo grounds, but it's not necessarily the spot that's going to get you out of there the fastest at the end of the night.

sonofhal
10-26-2007, 12:07 PM
Renting a house within walking distance of the festival next year, so looking forward to a lack of parking mayhem.

algunz
10-26-2007, 12:13 PM
Riding a bike is a great way to go, but they don't have a designated place to lock them.

PF, that might be a good thing to add for '08.

luckyface
10-26-2007, 12:17 PM
I'm not entirely convinced that arriving early guarantees the best parking spot. Sure, it might be one which is closer to the entrance for the polo grounds, but it's not necessarily the spot that's going to get you out of there the fastest at the end of the night.

I kind of took it as get there early to avoid a shit ton of the traffic.

sonofhal
10-26-2007, 12:20 PM
Get there very early if you have Will Call - like a week before.

Courtney
10-26-2007, 12:54 PM
Riding a bike is a great way to go, but they don't have a designated place to lock them.

PF, that might be a good thing to add for '08.

I think I have seen bikes just chained to fences and such? They seemed to still be there at the end of the night.

I kind of took it as get there early to avoid a shit ton of the traffic.

Ohh that makes more sense. Up until 2007, I had relatively little trouble entering the parking lots through the back roads. But this year yeah, even the line to get into the parking lots took maybe 45 minutes.

algunz
10-26-2007, 01:02 PM
I think I have seen bikes just chained to fences and such? They seemed to still be there at the end of the night.

Yeah, but I'd just feel better knowing that they were being watched - but I'm probably just being paranoid.

dontfeedthebird
10-26-2007, 06:57 PM
We don't need another Big Adventure. I'd be leery about biking it.

Mr.Wyndham
10-26-2007, 08:32 PM
just walk from where every you are from. start now.

noonertic
10-30-2007, 07:59 AM
As an absolute beginner myself im wondering what essential items people should bring, want to do the camping thing so im wondering what people brought to make that experience a little bit easier?

amyzzz
11-03-2007, 12:58 PM
Bring

a tent
a sleeping bag
possibly an air mattress or pad
a towel
a tent fan that runs on batteries
a small cooler filled with frozen water bottles and food
clothes
snacks
baby wipes
toilet paper
antibacterial soap gel
sunscreen
chapstick
backpack
hat or bandana to cover your head during the day & sunglasses
small towel or washcloth to bring in wet and keep yourself cool
glow sticks for finding your way back to your tent (or for fun!)
CASH because the ATM's have brutal fees
contraband (whatever you want to sneak in)
COMFORTABLE shoes -- if you wear sandals, expect to have dirty feet
sweater for after dark (if you're a wimp like me) temp gets in 60's
http://metalaw.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/cimg0968.jpg

gelica40
11-03-2007, 07:27 PM
camping is the only way to go especially if you want the full experience. youll get to meet so many different people from all over the world. parking wasnt too bad for me only thing is when you leave during the day you might have to park farther away when you come back but its all good. and oh yeah bring a canopy and a tarp to tie on the side of it to block the sun. it helped out ALOT!

amyzzz
11-03-2007, 11:11 PM
yeah, canopy. Forgot that one. Very good for extra shade.

Camping is NOT the only way to go, but nice try.

heyimazombie
11-07-2007, 09:44 AM
i've heard plenty of horror stories about people in sandals who go up to the front of the mainstage during some big act and.. never see those sandals again.

moral of the story. wear sneakers if you plan on getting close to the stages

DeltaSigChi4
11-07-2007, 09:53 AM
Camping really does save you from the traffic, but you have to wander around in the heat a lot, and you don't get a decent bathroom or shower.

Define "wander around in the heat a lot", because like I've insisted plenty of times through this medium, I woke every morning, took a shower, ate a delicious breakfast and went straight into the festival grounds. No wandering at all. I really don't see how anyone can paint a picture of intense unbearable heat, and hours and hours of waiting for gates to open while paralyzed by said heat, when I experienced nothing of the sort. Maybe if you're a fucking Inuit and were making your first trip to USA. And the shower were quite adequate. I didn't need a "bathroom" because I wasn't on taking a bath, but again, the showers were adequate.

E

childfacsimile
11-29-2007, 11:55 AM
*as long as it's not 2004 temperatures.

That was insane. I camped and my tent had to be over 100 degrees by 8am. Luckily I just had to role out of my tent and I landed in the shower line.

I recommend camping.

dontfeedthebird
11-29-2007, 01:43 PM
Don't forget the dust. That was the worst part about camping. With cars leaving, it causes dust, with dust I start sneezing.

amyzzz
11-29-2007, 01:43 PM
Define "wander around in the heat a lot", because like I've insisted plenty of times through this medium, I woke every morning, took a shower, ate a delicious breakfast and went straight into the festival grounds. No wandering at all. I really don't see how anyone can paint a picture of intense unbearable heat, and hours and hours of waiting for gates to open while paralyzed by said heat, when I experienced nothing of the sort. Maybe if you're a fucking Inuit and were making your first trip to USA. And the shower were quite adequate. I didn't need a "bathroom" because I wasn't on taking a bath, but again, the showers were adequate.

E
I define "wandering around in the heat" as "I woke every morning, took a shower, ate a delicious breakfast and went straight into the festival grounds." You WERE moving, right? It WAS hot, right? yeesh.

COTTENmafia
11-30-2007, 02:19 PM
STAY AT MY HOUSE! haha. i live in Indio. wo0t!

PrettyRagdoll
12-03-2007, 02:40 PM
Bring

a tent
a sleeping bag
possibly an air mattress or pad
a towel
a tent fan that runs on batteries
a small cooler filled with frozen water bottles and food
clothes
snacks
baby wipes
toilet paper
antibacterial soap gel
sunscreen
chapstick
backpack
hat or bandana to cover your head during the day & sunglasses
small towel or washcloth to bring in wet and keep yourself cool
glow sticks for finding your way back to your tent (or for fun!)
CASH because the ATM's have brutal fees
contraband (whatever you want to sneak in)
COMFORTABLE shoes -- if you wear sandals, expect to have dirty feet
sweater for after dark (if you're a wimp like me) temp gets in 60's

haha, that red tent is mine!

jenja
01-02-2008, 10:13 PM
just going to add...
camping is totally the way to go.
arrive on thursday evening and camp in the middle of the sea of tents, to avoid the dust on the outskirts of tent 'town'. be sure to bring shade as it is fairly hot, and be prepared to make friends!! :)

Botrocker
01-05-2008, 02:18 PM
STAY AT MY HOUSE! haha. i live in Indio. wo0t!

I'll give you alcohol!

letitbe_
01-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Thanks for all the excellent info.

Carlo Von Sexron
01-19-2008, 07:56 PM
i've heard plenty of horror stories about people in sandals who go up to the front of the mainstage during some big act and.. never see those sandals again.
moral of the story. Wear sneakers if you plan on getting close to the stages

Good tip- I wore sandals the first couple of years, but it is no bueno if you get involved with the crowd anywhere near a stage. Sneakers are the only way to go unless you plan on going nowhere near a stage...which would negate the point of going to Coachella, I suppose.

Get there very early if you have Will Call - like a week before.

I felt so bad for the will call people on Friday...god damn, that line was shitty.

aclockworkapple
01-26-2008, 08:26 PM
I stayed at the Best Western in Palm Springs last year, on Saturday night...let me tell you, Palm Springs is a lot further away after a day and a night of Coachella.

After waiting for my ride, dropping off some random people we met, getting something to eat at Denny's, and driving from Indio/Coachella to Palm Springs, I didn't enter my hotel room until after 4 AM. After a shower, I think I finally drifted off around 5. That still gave me 7 or so solid hours of sleep (which is pretty good for me), but it was...quite the adventure.

Moral of the story: tell your hotel that you will potentially be checking in very late. If the other member of my party hadn't been a total asshole about it, we would have ended up sleeping in the car.