PDA

View Full Version : the Cure to play full 2 1/2 set @ Download on Saturday

pewter14
10-03-2007, 07:24 AM
For those heading to Mountain View on Saturday for the Download Festival ... I got an e-mail today from Live Nation stating that indeed, the Cure are playing a full 2.5 hour set, not some shortened festival set.

Also note, show now begins at 3 ... not 2 as it stated on the tickets. (Doesn't bode well for acts like BRMC, KOL and Metric ... but, whatever)

Looked for this posted elsewhere and didn't see it.

That is all ...

suprefan
10-03-2007, 07:46 AM
Couldve put it in the download thread. But man, lucky everyone going to the show.

lindseyb
10-03-2007, 09:03 AM
score! i kinda wish i'd splurged on better seats now...i'm on the lawn.

captncrzy
10-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Dang I'm still pissed they cancelled that Chicago show. Ah well. I'm glad to see that, after all these years, they're still putting in 2.5 hours a night. I'll keep my fingers crossed for great seats and Disintegration at the Phoenix show.

M Sparks
10-03-2007, 11:55 AM
Captn...did you go to Curiosa in Phoenix? Disintegration, Plainsong, A Strange Day, Shake Dog Shake, Sinking, 100 Years...all in the main set. They did 3 encores way past the venue curfew...9 songs total...ending with a Forever/2 Late mashup.

Insane.

captncrzy
10-03-2007, 02:07 PM
I'm not sure if I went to Curiosa in Phoenix or the one before it.....but they played Disentegration-my friend went apeshit and then she made us leave...we were staggering drunk so it's probably better that we left.

sk8r408
10-04-2007, 09:32 PM
Why haven't they announced a schedule or at least the "and more" bands. The official download fest website sucks. I'm most excited for BRMC. The Cure will be cool too, I really like there set at Coachella in 2004.

scoop49er
10-05-2007, 05:56 AM
yeah has anyone seen the set times yet? i looked at the website and its brutal! also checked out live 105 cuz they usually do ok with stuff like that but nothing except promos on the site. anyone have info?

pewter, can u post the email so we can check it out. im 36 yr old and have known the cure music for 25 yrs now and this wil be the first time seeing them so im pretty pumped for it. should be cool...

sk8r408
10-05-2007, 07:55 AM
I don't have that email, but it did say they were playing a 2 1/2 hour set in yesterdays San Jose Mercury, and I think the Metro also. I called Live 105 yesterday and they didn't have too much more information than the website. They did tell me that there are 2 stages though, and he said he think there are at least 12 bands.

M Sparks
10-05-2007, 07:58 AM
im 36 yr old and have known the cure music for 25 yrs now and this wil be the first time seeing them so im pretty pumped for it. should be cool...

Have fun Scooper. They are the only band from my youth that have gotten better every time I've seen them. (We're the same age)

I'm already psyched for The Dodge show in Phoenix next year...it's my best friends birthday, and 2 days before my anniversary, so we will all be making a big celebration out of it. It'll be my 4th Cure show.

sk8r408
10-05-2007, 09:40 AM
I just found this! Festival map and set times!

http://www.downloadfestival.com/themes/livenationsmack/images/SANDISK_DL_SLA_MAP_12B.PDF

scoop49er
10-05-2007, 11:05 AM
you da man! :)

lindseyb
10-05-2007, 11:45 AM
is there anyone worth seeing besides metric and the cure?

PassiveTheory
10-05-2007, 11:48 AM
BRMC, KoL, 65dos

I wish I were going, to be honest, oh well.

lindseyb
10-05-2007, 12:02 PM
BRMC, KoL, 65dos

I wish I were going, to be honest, oh well.why aren't you going? i have extra lawn tickets if anybody wants 'em.

shakermaker113
10-05-2007, 12:57 PM
I just found this! Festival map and set times!

http://www.downloadfestival.com/themes/livenationsmack/images/SANDISK_DL_SLA_MAP_12B.PDF

crap. brmc on the main stage, AND conflicting with metric. now I'm highly unmotivated. detour is looking more and more likely, despite the additional 300 miles I have to drive.

also, Loop!Station said they got added to this and that they're playing at 3.30. how can that be? and vau de vire society aren't on here, and love like fire is a new addition.

maybe it's an earlier draft. where'd you find this? there's no link from the official website. maybe it's not the final version.

I just realized they call themselves "the ultimate interactive music festival". haha. wtf does that mean?

scoop49er
10-05-2007, 01:19 PM
is there anyone worth seeing besides metric and the cure?

schedule works out perfect for me ill split times between the first 2 bands watch all of she wants revenge watch all of black angels, watch 1/2 hr of brmc, go watch metric, then afi, then kings of leon then all of the cure. perfect! :)

sk8r408
10-05-2007, 01:38 PM
maybe it's an earlier draft. where'd you find this? there's no link from the official website. maybe it's not the final version.

I got it from the main page. You have to click where it says"Get you SanDisk Festival map click here", or something like that.

sk8r408
10-05-2007, 01:39 PM
schedule works out perfect for me ill split times between the first 2 bands watch all of she wants revenge watch all of black angels, watch 1/2 hr of brmc, go watch metric, then afi, then kings of leon then all of the cure. perfect! :)

That's my plan too!

shakermaker113
10-05-2007, 01:58 PM
I got it from the main page. You have to click where it says"Get you SanDisk Festival map click here", or something like that.

oh, damn. you're right. I wonder what loop!station were on about then. maybe they're not playing on either stage, some other place in the venue. what's with the sandisk media pavillion being ON the main stage?!?

scoop49er
10-05-2007, 06:06 PM
live105.com has the updated set times:

http://www.live105.com/Download-Festival-Guide/1045947

chiapet
10-05-2007, 06:35 PM
Oh damn. I was going to skip because I hate hate AFI (sorry supre) and didn't want to wait around, plus shoreline waaah long drive, but now I find myself buying tickets and begging rides.

shakermaker113
10-05-2007, 07:46 PM
oh... loopstation are playing WITH vau de vire society. makes sense.

still, that short brmc set, on the main stage, that conflicts with metric. i think they just lost my money. blah.

pewter14
10-06-2007, 09:31 AM
live105.com has the updated set times:

http://www.live105.com/Download-Festival-Guide/1045947

well, at least there is a 15 minute gap between KOL and The Cure ... still not pleased about the BRMC/Metric overlap.

I saw loopstation at the Red Devil Lounge a while back ... they were pretty good ... good to know where they'll be ...thanks

chiapet
10-07-2007, 12:42 AM
Did loop!station actually play today? I've seen them with vau de vire before, but today it was another band. Maybe there was an earlier performance that was different (I only caught the one between metric and kings of leon).

They're playing in a couple of weeks at Red devil.

suprefan
10-07-2007, 12:47 AM
Oh damn. I was going to skip because I hate hate AFI (sorry supre) and didn't want to wait around, plus shoreline waaah long drive, but now I find myself buying tickets and begging rides.

Say what you want ya know? They are from up there so you are in theory hating on hometown folk.

So, how was it for anyone who went?

Brent
10-07-2007, 06:32 AM
Yeah. How was it? They have a new line-up...

scoop49er
10-07-2007, 09:07 AM
hey there people. well here is my review:

drove to mtn view from sacramento 2 hr drive there then 2 hrs 15 min back. not bad at all.

setup was ok probably say attendance was around 12-14 thousand. weather was cool but very nice for the bay.

65 days of static: just not my cup of tea. instrumental alt rock band couldnt get into it. watched about 15 min

love like fire: local band. was ok. lead singer kept complaining about her voice. never good to admit that to the crowd. always sounds like a cop out. watch about 15 min

she wants revenge: in my top 3. such a good band and have a very good presence on stage. by the end of their set the people watching were mostly up from their chairs dancing. good job for a band on at 4pm. will check them out again. saw the whole set. new songs sound very good.

black angels: didnt get to see. this was the time me and my wife went and get food and beer and moved from our seats to the lawn on top to chill out.

black rebel motorcycle club: please someone tell me why u think they are good cuz personally they sucked inmy opinion. lame, ego looking band that had no stage presence other than to act cool and the songs dragged. i expected more and better. i didnt get it. a big 0!

metric: decent band. all i kept seeing was a version of the sounds! they were ok. we were front of stage for them. they were just ok.. good energy from the lead singer though...

afi: watched 1/2 hr of them. good energy. definetely a main stage band. good job. not the biggest fan but they did well and a couple of songs rocked very well.

kings of leon. also in my top 3 . watched 45 min of their set. not the type of band where you get a freddie mercury type performance. just a good rocking band that you could feel the vibe and it was really good. really enjoyed them alot! was front of stage for them as well. great band.

the cure: in my top 3. watched 90 min then had to hit the road. honestly the cure is at a point in thier career where you have to give them respect for being around. of about the 15 songs i heard, maybe 4 or 5 really got me going. the rest was more me listening and enjoying a beer. it wasnt mindblowing but it was great to see them for the first time... just like heaven was a highlight.. totally had a high school flashback..! :)

anyways my top 3 were:

3. the cure
2. she wants revenge
1. kings of leon.

i had a great time and this was a great warmup for vegoose baby!! tk care thread.. poof..............

shakermaker113
10-07-2007, 09:32 AM
setup was ok probably say attendance was around 12-14 thousand. weather was cool but very nice for the bay.

that's good. last year we were freezing our butts off. there was a longer line for coffee than there was for beer.

sk8r408
10-07-2007, 10:40 AM
Did loop!station actually play today? I've seen them with vau de vire before, but today it was another band. Maybe there was an earlier performance that was different (I only caught the one between metric and kings of leon).

They're playing in a couple of weeks at Red devil.

I saw Loopstation right before the Black Angels.

sk8r408
10-07-2007, 10:41 AM
hey there people. well here is my review:

black rebel motorcycle club: please someone tell me why u think they are good cuz personally they sucked inmy opinion. lame, ego looking band that had no stage presence other than to act cool and the songs dragged. i expected more and better. i didnt get it. a big 0!

BRMC were awesome!

chiapet
10-07-2007, 11:55 AM
of about the 15 songs i heard, maybe 4 or 5 really got me going. the rest was more me listening and enjoying a beer. it wasnt mindblowing but it was great to see them for the first time..

Same here, I'd never managed to see them before, and for the first 1-1.5 hours of the set, I was enjoying them and it wasn't disappointing. But yea, not mindblowing. Second half of the set was much better IMHO -- just a taste of the live band I'm sure they were more than a decade ago (that I never got to see!), and it was good to finally see them when Porl is back in the group.

The first encore was ONLY songs from the first album (7 of them), second encore was a couple of songs from Seventeen Seconds (Play for Today and ending with A Forest). There was a new song somewhere in thereThey played just short of 3 hours total.

It wasn't life-altering, but it was a very solid set, I thought.

Anyway... BRMC's set, 'eh.' I saw them a long time ago and really liked them, and I'm not sure if I've gotten pickier or they've gotten crappier. Their set at Bumbershoot this year was far worse than last night's Download Festival set too.

I missed most of the earlier sets, I caught about half of Metric. I'd never heard of them before -- liked the singer a lot. Were my eyes deceiving me, or was she wearing stirrup pants?

Kings of Leon are one of those groups that I don't really like or "get" when listening to their albums, despite this, I enjoyed their set. A good alternative to AFI. (Sorry, supre, but I hate on a lot of bay area bands, actually. With AFI it's really more their fans/crowd I hate than just the band).

Boourns
10-07-2007, 12:17 PM
she wants revenge: in my top 3. such a good band

This invalidates everything else. Yikes.

PassiveTheory
10-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Hardly. There are far worse alternatives to seeing She Wants Revenge... Like Editors, for example.

Anyway, yeah I didn't end up going cause none of my dormmies wanted to go, had no ride, and decided to go a party instead. Bummer. Ah well, good to see that some folks here enjoyed themselves.

Sushov23
10-07-2007, 12:38 PM
Kings of Leon are the shit, its some straight up rock n roll.

lindseyb
10-07-2007, 12:42 PM
i loved seeing the cure. robert smith hasn't aged one bit in the last 20 years. the only time i could tell he was older was when they showed a close-up of his hands playing the guitar, they looked like pudgy old-man hands! they played the longest set EVER. i shed a tear or two during pictures of you.

metric owned.

those wolverine girls were scary but fascinating. did you guys see them?

suprefan
10-07-2007, 01:47 PM
Cure Setlist

ape (intro)
Open
alt.end
A Night Like This
The Baby Screams
The End of the World
Lovesong
Pictures of You
Lullaby
Maybe Someday
Kyoto Song
New Song from upcoming album
The Walk
Push
How Beautiful You Are
Inbetween Days
Just Like Heaven!
Primary
If Only Tonight We Could Sleep
The Kiss
Never Enough
Wrong Number
Signal to Noise
One Hundred Years
Shiver and Shake
End

--First Encore--**
Three Imaginary Boys!
Fire in Cairo
Boys Don't Cry
Jumping Someone Else's Train
Grinding Halt
10:15 Saturday Night
Killing an Arab

--Second Encore--
Play For Today
A Forest

M Sparks
10-07-2007, 03:15 PM
That first encore would have put this over any other Cure show I've ever seen. "Grinding Halt"! Other than that, "Shiver & Shake" & "The Kiss" are good semi-rare live tracks, and there's a lot of good THOTD tracks here too. "The Baby Screams" 4 songs in at a festival is a pretty bold choice. Kinda weak on Disintegration tracks though...only the three usual suspects. Actually, "Fascination Street" is usually standard issue as well.

No "Forever", though. That's usually what seals the deal at a Cure show.

Brent
10-07-2007, 03:55 PM
Thanx for the review!

pewter14
10-07-2007, 04:11 PM
Kings of Leon are the shit, its some straight up rock n roll.

picked this one to quote ... as ... it's true ... KOL tore it up ... so effin good. Kicking myself for missing them a few weeks ago when they came through, but whatever, they rocked my face off.

The Cure were awsome ... the fans are certainly getting older (lots of sitting down for stretches at a time from a bunch of folks in the 200 section) ... but honestly, they sounded great ... while every song wasn't phenominal, they didn't have one bad song, including the new stuff ... and the first encore was insane ...

This is the 3rd time I've seen BRMC and it's the best I've heard them ... granted, one other time was the "disaster in the desert", otherwise known as their Coachella '04 appearance.

Was happy they moved the set times a bit as we at least got to see 4+ songs from Metric .... Emily's just as crazy as ever on stage, so much fun to watch ... amazed at how few people were at the 2nd stage to see them, we walked right up to the 4th or 5th row for both them and KOL.

Good day all around ... a great value for $65 or so ...

scoop49er
10-07-2007, 05:37 PM
cant blame people for wanting to sit at certain times. in my case im 36 but ive been to over 300 shows and festivals and ive learned to pace myslelf.. still had a great time.. :)

scoop49er
10-07-2007, 05:39 PM
and i so wanted to hear killing a arab. oh well. its all good. :)

rage patton
10-08-2007, 12:13 AM
Argh! I should be seeing the Cure tomorrow night! And that is a great setlist as well! They will probably take out a bunch of songs I like on their new tour, in order to play a bunch of new songs. Oh well. At least it sounds like the Cure are still great live,
I am also still debating on whether refunding my current tickets to see the Cure, and buy Sasquatch tickets... or just keep my tickets for the Vancouver show. Anyone have any perference as to where to see the Cure? Festival Cure? Or Stadium Cure?

bmack86
10-08-2007, 12:33 AM
That is an AMAZING setlist

PassiveTheory
10-08-2007, 01:13 AM
absofuckinglutely agreed... Damn you guys are fortunate.

M Sparks
10-08-2007, 06:44 AM
Anyone have any perference as to where to see the Cure? Festival Cure? Or Stadium Cure?

They're playing a stadium up there? How big?

Normally, I would say see the solo show. But since they are doing 2 1/2 at Sasquatch too, go for it. You're not going to get too much better than this setlist.

Don't worry about them playing too many new songs. They are usually pretty good about giving everyone what they want. They will do most of the "hits"...they will do quite a few songs for the hard-core fans...they will throw in 1 or 2 songs you would never expect to hear, and then about half their new album.

On the Swing tour, they did almost all of Wild Mood Swings, which wasn't that great an album. But it was about a 3 hour show, so they weren't really lacking on older material either. Last time I saw them, they only did 6 new songs, out of 26.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-08-2007, 09:11 AM
Can't wait for next year at red rocks....

smilingdownward
10-09-2007, 10:27 AM
Argh! I should be seeing the Cure tomorrow night! And that is a great setlist as well! They will probably take out a bunch of songs I like on their new tour, in order to play a bunch of new songs. Oh well. At least it sounds like the Cure are still great live,
I am also still debating on whether refunding my current tickets to see the Cure, and buy Sasquatch tickets... or just keep my tickets for the Vancouver show. Anyone have any perference as to where to see the Cure? Festival Cure? Or Stadium Cure?

go to both!!! sasquatch will be good and its at the gorge, pure magic. then take a quick drive home and see them the next night! but dont choose one over the other....you need to do both. thats my preference.:)