PDA

View Full Version : A Gift From the Arcade Fire, Coming This Saturday, October 6th

shotglass75
10-02-2007, 10:25 AM
A Gift From the Arcade Fire, Coming This Saturday

This Saturday, October 6, the Arcade Fire will wrap up their blockbuster tour with LCD Soundsystem at an extravaganza on New York City's Randall's Island that also features Les Savy Fav and Blonde Redhead. But that's not the only Arcade Fire goodness going down that day.

If you've visited NeonBible.com today, you might have noticed a link to www.beonlineb.com (clever, guys!), which as of right now, only sports the words "Arcade Fire presents..." and "October 6th."

So what's going on? Well, we know, but we can't tell you. Rest assured, it's pretty fucking cool. Definitely keep your browsers at the ready.

And hey, you were already spending this week in a state of heightened anticipation, so what's a little more excitement?

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/46081-a-gift-from-the-arcade-fire-coming-this-saturday

C DUB YA
10-02-2007, 10:27 AM
seeing them Friday here in C Bus!

Tylerdurden31
10-02-2007, 10:28 AM
i will be at the spectacular on saturday, so someone should let me know what the big deal is. Probably a webcast of the show

ficklecycle
10-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Eh.

bartelby
10-02-2007, 12:05 PM
so much for going outside

kreutz2112
10-02-2007, 12:38 PM
I hope its soundboard quality shows of the last/current tour available free for download in high quality formats.

Mr.Nipples
10-02-2007, 12:59 PM
delta gargles dog semen...

suprefan
10-02-2007, 01:15 PM
He will say '''Its the GREATEST GIFT EVER IN THE HISTORY OF MUSIC''

E

TomAz
10-02-2007, 01:33 PM
I hope its soundboard quality shows of the last/current tour available free for download in high quality formats.

that would be cool.

but I bet it's an unreleased single.

J~$$$
10-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Please say they are finally breaking up.

C DUB YA
10-02-2007, 02:02 PM
delta gargles dog semen...

HA - that shit is funny - Nipples just got all in that ass.

Alchemy
10-02-2007, 03:38 PM
I hope, even though it has nothing to do with them, it's that Electric Light Orchestra will be playing before Talking Heads on the Coachella Stage on Saturday.

crazzz2007
10-02-2007, 03:42 PM
i wanna kick the arcade fire's ass

amyzzz
10-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Please say they are finally breaking up.
HAHAHA

MissingPerson
10-02-2007, 04:18 PM
"Black MIRROR..."

brando4n82
10-02-2007, 04:21 PM
I hope, even though it has nothing to do with them, it's that Electric Light Orchestra will be playing before Talking Heads on the Coachella Stage on Saturday.

ELO was supposed to do a Huge North American tour with an elaborate light show (duh) back in 200, but there were poor ticket sales, and that i just don't understand. I certainly heard nothing about it, so I blame it on poor advertising.

ewiggy
10-02-2007, 07:03 PM
whatever it is, i hope by "gift" they mean "free".

ewiggy
10-02-2007, 07:03 PM
and by "coming this saturday, october 6th" they mean "who cares. go outside."

gaypalmsprings
10-02-2007, 07:09 PM
ELO was supposed to do a Huge North American tour with an elaborate light show (duh) back in 200, but there were poor ticket sales, and that i just don't understand. I certainly heard nothing about it, so I blame it on poor advertising.

not many people around in 200

summerkid
10-02-2007, 07:16 PM

that would be awesome.

Amneeziac
10-02-2007, 07:39 PM
Gimme!

Wheres the beef?
10-02-2007, 09:17 PM
not many people around in 200

zing!

AEversW
10-02-2007, 11:02 PM
i hear its a win and regine sex tape.

PrettyRagdoll
10-03-2007, 12:55 AM
Damnit! I'm going to LA Detour!

Amneeziac
10-03-2007, 01:01 AM
i hear its a win and regine sex tape.

I hear it's a sing-along sextape. You know, Radiohead giving their album away for free, everyone in music's trying something new... if Regine busts out the hurdy gurdy though...

bartelby
10-03-2007, 05:45 AM
as long as sara hops in

ThomThom
10-03-2007, 02:35 PM
as long as sara hops in

I'm all over that...

Jerm05
10-03-2007, 02:42 PM
Me too

orbit
10-03-2007, 02:48 PM
I hear is Bowie's live return.

Jerm05
10-03-2007, 03:00 PM
I hope they don't bring out the Goblin King...they should do it with Bruce instead.

MissingPerson
10-03-2007, 03:09 PM
The big blinking Win Butler eye on neonbible.com freaks the fuck out of me.

ThomThom
10-03-2007, 03:33 PM
I'm starting to lose interest altogether in this band probably until their next album, maybe it's because of all of the Radiohead stuff that has been going on or if it is due to the borderline insulting show they put on at the Hollywood Bowl.

MissingPerson
10-03-2007, 03:55 PM
Well, to be fair, the Radiohead stuff is pretty amazing. Never fail to surprise.

A lot of the bad reports from the Hollywood bowl seem to be complaining about the crowd, rather than the band. It's weird, half the people who were at the Hollywood Bowl are raving about it like maniacs, and the other half give the same vibe as yourself, ThomThom. That said, the guys who were really impressed, I get the feeling a lot of them might not have been that serious about the band, or seen them live before. Maybe they're just easier to impress...?

ThomThom
10-03-2007, 04:15 PM
Well, to be fair, the Radiohead stuff is pretty amazing. Never fail to surprise.

A lot of the bad reports from the Hollywood bowl seem to be complaining about the crowd, rather than the band. It's weird, half the people who were at the Hollywood Bowl are raving about it like maniacs, and the other half give the same vibe as yourself, ThomThom. That said, the guys who were really impressed, I get the feeling a lot of them might not have been that serious about the band, or seen them live before. Maybe they're just easier to impress...?

That could very well be the case, I have seen them quite a few times this year alone and have definitely seen much better performances out of them (Berkeley #2 was perfect from start to finish) but I find this being the first time I have defended an LA crowd, normally I can't stand LA crowds at concerts, but many of them really tried to get into AF's set, but AF as a band was not putting any effort into the Hollywood Bowl performance at all, at first I thought maybe they were tired or warn out, but the following night they perform one of the better setlists I have seen from them, a much longer set, and they even came out and fucked around with LCD. THAT was the insulting part.

Somewhat Damaged
10-03-2007, 04:35 PM
ThomThom: I think you may have been right about them just being tired, though. Jen (captncrzy) remarked about the Shoreline show that they seemed worn out from all the touring, that they didn't seem to have as much energy as they did when she saw them back at the Greek. (The show you sold her tickets to, whenever that happened to be.) I thought their energy level was fine because that was just the second time I saw them this year, but maybe if you do see a band multiple times in a year, you get to be more critical of particular performances than you would if you caught fewer.

sonofhal
10-06-2007, 07:16 AM
http://www.beonlineb.com/

Anyone else played around with it yet? It's up and it's rather odd. What's with all the apples?

C DUB YA
10-06-2007, 07:24 AM
this is the surprise?

orbit
10-06-2007, 07:28 AM
Just finished to watch the website, and I was about to ask the same question

Is that the gift? Meh.

sonofhal
10-06-2007, 07:30 AM
this is the surprise?

Probably - It's a bit underwhelming. I'm sure Delta will lap it up, though!

Alchemy
10-06-2007, 08:02 AM
That was weird.

woogie846
10-06-2007, 08:15 AM
I guess that was cool...kinda...

ewiggy
10-06-2007, 09:24 AM
i'm creeped out.

ewiggy
10-06-2007, 09:26 AM
p'fork says:

Video: The Arcade Fire: "Neon Bible"

Did Neon Bible really come out only seven months ago? It's easy to lose track of these things, with so much new music streaming past, but the internet tells me that its release date was March 6. We haven't heard much from the band here on Forkcast in the past few months. But, as Pitchfork news previously reported, Arcade Fire's website indicated that something special was to happen on Oct. 6. And now it's up.

Working with director Vincent Morisset, the band created a sharp interactive video piece for the album's title track. It's a chance to go eyeball-to-eyeball with Win Butler as he sings, and you can fiddle with everything on the screen to produce different results with each play. You can play with his hands, move various objects, and touch his head to get a quote of whatever lyric he happens to be voicing at the moment. There may well be a number of other Easter eggs we haven't found. The art direction suits the mood of the song-- all high contrast black-and-white, and Butler with his thick 1940s-era collar. It has a mood. It's an entertaining piece, for a few go-arounds, certainly; a cut above the usual video on YouTube. Was the build-up too much? You were expecting something else? The link is below; see what you think.

DeltaSigChi4
10-06-2007, 09:43 AM
ThomThom: Maybe they are just like the rest of the civilized world and have a large dislike for Los Angeles and their residents. Ever think about that? I went to multiple shows, and they didn't seem tired to me [especially Will and Richard (are they ever tired?)]. And if you're mad about the tease they gave at Shoreline by joining LCD, at later shows they have been joining them in MULTIPLE songs, and not just Win and Will, but Win + Will, Regine, Tim, Jeremy, *head explodes*

E

suprefan
10-06-2007, 10:50 AM
Delta, are you going to speak of the suprise or not? I guess it isnt up to your standards, so you dont comment right?

Amneeziac
10-06-2007, 12:18 PM
Heh, it's not an announcement that their next album is finished and will be available as a download next week. But it's still fun to play with.

Delta, I live in L.A. I hate the people here too. Myself included.

xoxo

ThomThom
10-06-2007, 04:45 PM
delta: i think if you try seeing smaller acts at smaller venues in la such as the el rey, the fonda, the troubadour, or echplex you might have a new outlook on la concertgoing...either way i am going to blame the 'arcade fired out' attitude on the radiohead news instead of af's poor showmanship at the bowl

DeltaSigChi4
10-06-2007, 04:52 PM
I saw the YYYs at the Mayan.

And Aterciopelados in the HOB-Ana.

That's off the top of my head the past year.

Aterciopelados is a pretty small act -- LA-wise.

E

MissingPerson
10-06-2007, 08:19 PM
This is cool. Odd, but cool. Because of the date, I think it was generally assumed it was a gig webcast, or maybe the - whisper it - DVD announcement we've all been waiting for, but I have to say I'm impressed that they managed to come up with something absolutely nobody could have predicted. I think we were guilty of overhyping rather than them, and let's face it, post-Radiohead, we were a tough crowd. :D

I'm not going to try and make lame-ass excuses for a performance that was off, but apparently the night in question was the night they knew NME were in town. Given the ongoing and complex soap-opera drama that the band have always had with NME, it wouldn't be entirely surprising to me if that had been what put them off. Although it wouldn't excuse a sub-par show.

Boourns
10-06-2007, 08:40 PM
This is cool. Odd, but cool. Because of the date, I think it was generally assumed it was a gig webcast, or maybe the - whisper it - DVD announcement we've all been waiting for, but I have to say I'm impressed that they managed to come up with something absolutely nobody could have predicted. I think we were guilty of overhyping rather than them, and let's face it, post-Radiohead, we were a tough crowd. :D

I'm not going to try and make lame-ass excuses for a performance that was off, but apparently the night in question was the night they knew NME were in town. Given the ongoing and complex soap-opera drama that the band have always had with NME, it wouldn't be entirely surprising to me if that had been what put them off. Although it wouldn't excuse a sub-par show.

Intentionally giving a sub-par performance becuase you don't like a few NME people or some rich stiffs in the box seats would be highly unprofessional and childish. Way to punish thousands of fans for the crimes of a few, eh? Or so I hear, I wasn't there.

Funny thing is after the first Arcade Fire gig at the Troubadour, I told Win Butler not to think of all the LA fans as being like the obnoxious drunk that kept yelling "PLAY HAITI!" even after they played it or the industry stiffs talking in the back.

All That I Am
10-06-2007, 08:59 PM
I got a few apples.

All That I Am
10-06-2007, 09:02 PM
just now i got the audience to start cheering, but i couldnt' keep it going.

MissingPerson
10-06-2007, 09:04 PM
I'm not saying intentionally. But an Arcade Fire show depends on good vibes and working up a momentum, so it may have been a factor. I'm not saying it was, necessarily, it was just a notable coinciding element.

NME and Arcade Fire get along like... things that can't stand one another, but still have to endure each other's existance owing to the nature of their respective industries. For it's part, NME seems reluctant to alienate AF's audience, so it randomly alternates between fawning over them like besotted schoolgirls and harshing on them to the point of an irrational phobia. In return AF take every given opportunity to voice their disdain for it's lazy journalism and tendency to essentially misquote them.

Curiously, the NME review of this show was positively glowing. I assume we're in Besotted Schoolgirl mode for now, so we must be due a "Arcade Fire probably smoke money and have other indie bands tortured to death so they can have extra money and buy blood diamonds" story any day now.

DeltaSigChi4
10-06-2007, 10:36 PM
Who cares about Hollywood? Honestly. *looks around to see if anyone raises their hand*

Who gives a fuck about one show? I certainly don't. Fuck Hollywood. It was without a doubt their most lackluster performance of the tour and there isn't much of a question why. If you were there, all you had to do was look around. Cheese and fucking wine. Fuck you Hollywood.

You're a shit crowd for shows, and you get a lackluster performance -- comparatively-speaking. /end

In closing, fuck you Hollywood.

E

superfiction
10-06-2007, 10:43 PM
that was weird. like really weird.

DeltaSigChi4
10-06-2007, 10:55 PM
I don't know why all this Hollywood Bowl discussion/whining made me so angry. I was glad the performance was how it was because of my disgust with the crowd. And I'm having a real good day. I guess I just want to convey a viewpoint that no one else has shown -- that it was clearly the crowd's fault for the show, not the performers. A few days before they put on a nice show in Red Rocks; the following day after HB they put a masterful performance in Shoreline. And so on and so forth. So why blame the band? It's silly.

E

DeltaSigChi4
10-06-2007, 10:56 PM
And irrational.

E

Boourns
10-06-2007, 11:48 PM
Who cares if rich people were sitting in the boxes eating cheese and drinking wine? They could have played a different venue, and considering how they played the Bowl in 2005, they know that it attracts an additional richie element. I know the crowd often plays a part in a band's energy, but sometimes bands need to just try harder. As for AF...I can't imagine a bad show from them, but there's no excuse for them to play 3-4 rare songs at every other show, but zero at one.

DeltaSigChi4
10-07-2007, 12:13 AM
The real fans drove to Mountain View.

E

Boourns
10-07-2007, 12:17 AM
Yeah, only spoiled losers have the resources and time to throw away to see every single band in a city ten hours away. The point is when you live in a major city, you are never supposed to have to go out of town to see a band. That's only for people stuck in small towns or cities that bands are scared to visit like Detroit and Norfolk.

So if all the real fans were in SF, why were tickets going for $20 a pair? Obviously not much demand for good seats.

AEversW
10-07-2007, 12:24 AM
Im was hoping for an Win and Regine sex tape.

DeltaSigChi4
10-07-2007, 12:24 AM
And yet they gave a better performance. Purposefully gave the better performance. Isn't that something? 600$ tickets [secondary market] at the Bowl for the affluent, 20$ tickets [secondary market] at Shoreline for the real fans.

I didn't have a problem with being front row at BOTH shows.

E

Boourns
10-07-2007, 12:33 AM
I'm playing the race card.

DeltaSigChi4
10-07-2007, 12:39 AM
Canadians get better shows. :D

E

Boourns
10-07-2007, 12:41 AM
Canada rocks

bartelby
10-07-2007, 12:39 PM
yes we do

All That I Am
10-07-2007, 01:40 PM
So if all the real fans were in SF, why were tickets going for $20 a pair? Obviously not much demand for good seats.

Probably cause it was outdoors and raining.

DeltaSigChi4
10-07-2007, 02:06 PM
Please don't attempt to interject common sense in a wild and outlandish proclamation.

E

MissingPerson
10-07-2007, 02:12 PM
Win looks eerily like Elvis Presley in this video.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/jill_valentine/elviswin.jpg