PDA

View Full Version : Metric.

J~$$$
09-29-2007, 09:42 AM
Last night was awesome. Emily bitches to much. They rocked the shit tho.

16+ shows are the worst thing ever invented. Some kid ran into my girlfriend and spilled her beer all over everyone. The kid then proceeded to say "fuck you!" when asked "Is that the same as excuse me?" So as the kid walked off laughing my lady took her half empty beer can a chucked it at the back of the kids head. He turns around stunned I start laughing and shit started to get hostile, my bouncer buddy and I got our Warren g on. Goodtimes.

sonofhal
09-29-2007, 09:50 AM
I've never seen a Metric show anything less than awesome. Is there such a thing?

Boourns
09-29-2007, 11:34 AM
What did they play? How are the new songs?

Ill_Eagle
09-29-2007, 11:57 AM
my bouncer buddy and I got our Warren g on. Goodtimes.

hahahahaha REGULATORSSSSSSS

MissingPerson
09-29-2007, 02:59 PM
Granted, I've only heard their new stuff through crappy MP3's and Youtubes, but I'm not impressed thus far. That said, a few hardened cynics who had heretofore been referring to themselves as ex-Metric fans have been bringing back crazy good reviews. Hmm.

I've seen two Metric shows, one good, one terrific. When Emily's on-form, they're fantastic.

faxman75
12-14-2009, 12:31 PM
I was at their acoustic set in Phoenix on Saturday night so I figured this thread could use a bump.

by Kellie Hwang - Dec. 14, 2009 10:38 AM
The Arizona Republic
If every band could pull off an acoustic set as moving and gorgeous as Metric's on Saturday night, you would be seeing a lot less drums and electric guitars at concerts.

One half of the Canadian indie pop band played a sold-out show at Martini Ranch, treating the audience to beautifully constructed melodies and intimate stories, giving fans a unique glimpse into the minds of the utterly hip musicians.

As the crowd was slowly ushered into the showroom of the nightclub, they encountered a Yamaha grand piano that engulfed most of the tiny stage, and a couple acoustic guitars resting against a chair. There seemed to be a feeling of collective uncertainly as every square inch of the room was filled.

Without a word, lead singer Emily Haines and guitarist James Shaw quietly walked out and headed straight for their instruments. As Haines uttered the first lyric of "Gold Guns Girls," a chill fluttered through the room, and even the bartenders busily shaking up drinks paused for a minute. The singer's sparkling voice was so perfectly pitched, mixed with just a trace of a rasp and sounded even more angelic when paired with each strike of a piano key. Shaw softly strummed his guitar, providing delicate harmonies that allowed Haines to shine.

Metric's normally upbeat, synth-filled tunes were transformed into intense love songs, and you could feel the pain as Haines sang out biting lyrics like "I'm not suicidal, I just can't get out of bed," during the song "Satellite Mind." As the duo crept into the fourth song, Haines walked over to Shaw and the two engaged in a private rendition of "Front Row."

Finally, Haines addressed the crowd, and spoke of the significance of the evening.

"I usually dedicated that song to the front row of the crowd, but the whole room is the front row tonight," she said, smiling. "We really wanted to give you all a special moment tonight."

The remainder of the set was reminiscent of an episode of VH1's "Storytellers," as Haines charmingly described adventures of traveling around the world and performing at extreme sports events. She even honored the band's deep admiration for the Strokes with a minimalistic cover of "The End Has No End."

In a change of pace, Shaw took to the piano and delivered an unexpected rendition of Pink Floyd's "Nobody Home." The move was a bit reminiscent of the typical piano bar singer, but Shaw was pretty convincing as he belted out each line.

While the venue was the right size for the intimate set, the murmur of conversation from the bar by the stage was distracting, especially during those very personal moments between Haines and Shaw.

Too soon after the show started, Haines announced their last song, radio hit "Help I'm Alive." It was the most rousing song of the mellow set as Haines switched off from piano to tambourine, building up to a lively ending.

Haines and Shaw exited as the audience, hopeful, waited for an encore. They didn't return, but everyone seemed to leave completely satiated with a solid night of music from a band that truly performs for their fans.

As a crew carefully wheeled the massive piano off the stage and a new crowd shuffled in, it was as if Metric was never there, like some sort of secret between the band and their fans. And witnessing how personal the set was, it's clear the band would like to keep that secret untold.

TomAz
12-14-2009, 12:33 PM
Did they do Monster Hospital? Patriarch on a Vespa?

faxman75
12-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Did they do Monster Hospital? Patriarch on a Vespa?

I'm fairly certain all they played off of "live it out" was the title song to that album. The two songs you asked about are the two I wanted to hear but despite that and it being hot as fuck and a short set, it was really enjoyable. A very intimate set with Emily telling stories between the songs and when James did the Floyd song you could hear a pin drop in there. He nailed it and was really crips on the vocals as well.

humanoid
12-14-2009, 12:51 PM
I've only ever been a very casual Metric fan, but have seen them a few times....when did they start blowing up to where 13 year olds are into them?? my daughter and a bunch of her friend have been listening to them a lot lately...mixed in with Lil Wayne, Rihanna, Lady Gaga and a bunch of other very mainstream music

faxman75
12-14-2009, 01:10 PM
Probably the most recent album "Fantasies" which sounds like their most accessible. It's very pop rock/alt rock sounding. Help I'm Alive gets a lot of radio play I think. Here they play it on the indie station The Edge. If it's really indie.

humanoid
12-14-2009, 01:13 PM
that must be it...I only listen to my indie station on XM, but I rarely hear them on that...Help I'm Alive is definitely one of their favorites.

hawkingvsreeve
12-14-2009, 01:26 PM
It's a good track. Good record.

The kids like it.

amyzzz
12-14-2009, 01:26 PM
My kids like it.

hawkingvsreeve
12-14-2009, 01:28 PM
I look like a kid and I like it.

humanoid
12-14-2009, 01:31 PM
the kids, Amyzzzzzzzzz's kidzzz and those that look like kids...nice, got it

JebusLives
12-14-2009, 01:51 PM
Their new album is top 40 pop music done right (are you listening, Weezer??)

Boourns
12-14-2009, 02:35 PM
Their new album is top 40 pop music done right (are you listening, Weezer??)

Exactly.

faxman75
12-16-2009, 05:50 PM
Some Vids from the acoustic show in Scottsdale.

E3xZU_ENAII

mOvNb_-40iA

and if you like those it appears the whole concert was recorded.

http://www.youtube.com/user/leaveschangeincolors#p/u/9/E3xZU_ENAII

One more because I was especially impressed by this song.

Pink Floyd Nobody Home.
z3JeBGmBh6o

faxman75
02-10-2010, 07:08 AM
It looks like i'm going to hit up their show at the House of Blues in Vegas. Anyone think the show has a chance of selling out? Tickets are $16 but they come to $31 after service fees which I would like to avoid. They are $18.50 day of show at the venue.

Mr. Fuzz
02-11-2010, 10:04 AM
It looks like i'm going to hit up their show at the House of Blues in Vegas. Anyone think the show has a chance of selling out? Tickets are $16 but they come to $31 after service fees which I would like to avoid. They are $18.50 day of show at the venue.

I don't think they'll sell out because there isn't a radio station in town that plays any Metric songs. I wouldn't take my chances on not getting a ticket but I know that the HOB sometimes has a two for tuesday deal. I think there is still a service charge even when you buy them at the door (granted it might not be as steep).

You never know though. I was really surprised at the amount of kids that showed up to the Phoenix show at the Joint a couple weeks ago.

I will be at this show for sure. I'm really excited about it too. I know that they'll play that one song about Vegas.

Mr. Fuzz
02-11-2010, 10:07 AM
Oh yeah, rock me now!!!

faxman75
02-11-2010, 11:01 AM
I guess i'll hold off for a bit. I have a friend in Vegas too so I will see if he can hook it up. $15 extra won't kill me but why pay it if I can avoid at least $10 of it.

Mr. Fuzz
02-11-2010, 11:35 AM
I really don't see it selling out. I pretty sure Sonic Youth didn't sell out the HOB when I saw them there a few years ago. Metric is def an indie band here in Vegas. I'm actually really surprised that they're are even coming.

One thing to think about is that this show could draw a lot of people from out of town. While I was at the Phoenix show we went to the Bowie bar outside the venue and I meet a mom who had flown her daughter and three of her friends up from LA to catch the show because Phoenix were skipping LA.

faxman75
02-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Cool.. I'm not specifically coming for the show but this is going to be a nice bonus. Me and some friends are staying at Luxor and it happens to be the same weekend. I can't wait.

Mr. Fuzz
02-11-2010, 11:41 AM
I really can't wait either. It's a very pleasent surprise.

Devin the Dude
02-11-2010, 11:44 AM
HELP I'm alive my heart keeps beating like a hammer.

faxman75
02-11-2010, 11:45 AM
That reminds me, I need to add metric to my droid. I am almost completely free of my ipod at this point.

faxman75
02-11-2010, 12:06 PM
I called. You save $5 if you buy at the venue. I guess i'll just get raped on line.

Mr. Fuzz
02-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Yeah, or try to sign up for the HOB two tickets for the price of one on Tuesdays. It's usaully the Tuesday befor the show.

faxman75
02-11-2010, 12:19 PM
I don't know anything about that promo though I get the e-mails, I never read them. Does that mean if I wait until next Tuesday to buy my ticket, I get two?

faxman75
02-15-2010, 07:39 AM
Well, there goes that idea...

Metric
House of Blues Las Vegas
Las Vegas, NV
Canceled

That sucks.

Mr. Fuzz
02-18-2010, 10:44 AM
What? That fucking sucks.

Mr. Fuzz
02-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Cancelled Show - Las Vegas
Hey everyone, we just wanted to pass along our sincere apologies for the cancelled show in Las Vegas on March 25th. Unfortunately, there were some scheduling conflicts at the venue that we couldn’t do anything about… we’ll be back soon!

If you purchased your tickets directly from ILoveMetricTickets.com you will receive an email today regarding your order. All other refunds are available at the original point of purchase. If you have any questions, you can contact the outlets directly at the following links: ticketmaster.com, livenation.com, houseofblues.com

xoxo metriclovesyou

and this
Z376EundwWQ

Mr. Fuzz
02-18-2010, 10:52 AM
They should just come and play in my backyard. WTF

faxman75
02-18-2010, 11:42 AM
It really does suck. I was really looking forward to this. Now I have to reconsier going to this college douche St. Patty's day fest that they are playing in town with Flogging Molly headlining. Fuck.

Mr. Fuzz
02-18-2010, 11:50 AM
I would go just for them. At least there will be lots of drunk sluts there. I can't make it down to Phoenix on a Wednesday. So I'm just SOL.

faxman75
02-18-2010, 12:38 PM
I'm considering but it's $40. I'm not sure it's worth it.

amyzzz
02-18-2010, 12:40 PM
I am strongly considering the douchey show, faxy. We could hang out. (Jacob too)

faxman75
02-18-2010, 12:44 PM
If I go I will definitely hang out with you and Jacob. If you pull the trigger on a ticket let me know. I can't decide.

Boourns
02-19-2010, 12:04 AM
Emily Haines on Coachella:
tiFpEaUcfgk