PDA

View Full Version : rock and roll of fame nominees 2007

thedudereturns
09-28-2007, 12:11 PM
so were talking about Madonna, John Mellencamp, Beastie Boys, Donna Summer, Chic, Africa, Bambaataa, Leonard literate songwriter Leonard Cohen, the original British Invasion combo The Dave Clark Five and surf rock instrumentalists The Ventures nominees for the Rock and Roll Hall of fame. The dude votes for Mellencamp, thats it and maybe Donna Summer

algunz
09-28-2007, 12:18 PM
Why not Madonna? I know we have some pent up frustrations against her in the Coachella community, but should we discount her influence and dominance of the music industry. She's gonna end up there eventually, why not now?

Tylerdurden31
09-28-2007, 12:22 PM
that would be Afrika Bambaataa not Africa, Bambaataa

my name is suprefan

fober
Afrika Bambaataa is a given.

I lost both of my grandfathers during the British Invasion, so I am against any and all of those nominations.

M Sparks
Wow, only 3 of those artists play anything close to "rock & roll". Beasties sometimes, I guess

TomAz
09-28-2007, 12:23 PM
yeah, why not Madonna? The Eagles and the Bee Gees are in, might as well make it a Trinity of Suck.

algunz
09-28-2007, 12:26 PM
The term "rock & roll" is probably all encompassing now.

I adore the Trinity of Suck.

I think they are playing the Gobi in '08.

mob roulette
09-28-2007, 12:56 PM
Leonard Cohen should be the only given here. Give me a fucking break.

Yablonowitz
09-28-2007, 01:24 PM
and surf rock instrumentalists

If Dick Dale is on there, he should go in. Actually, he should already be in. Is he? Internet will save my day.

amyzzz
09-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Smiths

shakermaker113
09-28-2007, 01:44 PM
I don't understand the rock 'n' roll hall of fame. really, what changes when someone is inducted? nothing. nothing at all.

TomAz
09-28-2007, 01:47 PM
sales of their back catalog goes up for a while.

Tylerdurden31
09-28-2007, 01:48 PM
Smiths

I will never ever understand why people think they were so amazing. ever

TomAz
09-28-2007, 01:53 PM
If Dick Dale is on there, he should go in. Actually, he should already be in. Is he? Internet will save my day.

I dunno. Dick Dale's one of those guys.. hugely influential for his sound, but he really didn't have very good songs, for the most part. I mean the Ventures wouldn't have been possible without Dick Dale coming first, but, the Ventures just had better songs.

Mr.Nipples
09-28-2007, 01:56 PM
really, what changes when someone is inducted? nothing. nothing at all.

well...
eKxSM0IpdmY
pg05vcpLKKc
TfNM1OsQkVo
_ztrMFgn5XE
MdS_RSq3G5c

i forgot, the whole "hall-of-fame" concept is fucking stupid...

TomAz
09-28-2007, 01:58 PM
so were talking about Madonna, John Mellencamp, Beastie Boys, Donna Summer, Chic, Africa, Bambaataa, Leonard literate songwriter Leonard Cohen, the original British Invasion combo The Dave Clark Five and surf rock instrumentalists The Ventures nominees for the Rock and Roll Hall of fame. The dude votes for Mellencamp, thats it and maybe Donna Summer

Madonna is the only shoo-in to make it, I think
Mellencamp - meh
Beasties - possible
Donna Summer - hugely influential for a very brief period of time. 50/50 chance.
Chic - possible
Bambaataa - unlikely
Cohen - he'll get votes from the singer songwriter types
Dave Clark 5 - Hall of Semi-Fame, maybe.
Ventures - possible

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-01-2007, 06:05 AM
Outside of getting the Talking Heads to perform together again...the R&RHF is crap....

gaypalmsprings
10-01-2007, 06:31 AM
Madonna Nominated for Rock Hall of Fame
Sept. 28, 2007, 10:52 AM EST

The Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Here's something Madonna can really celebrate: a nomination to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Madge joins heartland rocker John Mellencamp, the puckish rappers Beastie Boys and premier dance acts Donna Summer and Chic among the nine nominees for the hall. The five leading vote-getters will be inducted in the annual ceremony March 10, 2008, at New York's Waldorf Astoria Hotel.

The other nominees are rap pioneer Afrika Bambaataa, literate songwriter Leonard Cohen, the original British Invasion combo The Dave Clark Five and surf rock instrumentalists The Ventures.

The nominations illustrate how far the Hall of Fame has stretched its definition of rock 'n' roll to incorporate a variety of musical styles.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-01-2007, 06:36 AM
MfmUwnvWb_M

sydaud
10-01-2007, 02:39 PM
Until Alice Cooper gets elected, the hall has no cred.
Tom Waits, also not in.
Gram Parsons? Nope
Run DMC...nominated? Nah, that has happened either.
The Stooges or the MC5. Not even close.

Yeah, apparently none of these acts were very influential. And longevity can't be the key---The Buffalo Springfield (whom I love) were together all of 20 months and released 3 albums, yet are in the Hall...

Oddly enough, the coolest item I saw when I visited the hall several years ago was David Cassidy's early-70's Gibson SG. I am quite sure he never played it, but it's a thing of beauty.....

sydaud
10-01-2007, 02:41 PM
....and I love the Smiths (seems like we had this same thread last year) will NEVER make the hall of fame. Not before XTC anyway.....

luckyface
10-01-2007, 02:45 PM
They couldn't alter the process and induct Arcade Fire this year?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-01-2007, 02:47 PM
They couldn't alter the process and induct Arcade Fire this year?

Or Radiohead for that matter?