PDA

View Full Version : Ulrich Schnauss

betao
09-27-2007, 08:31 PM
I know at least a few people on this board listen to him, a few have probably seen him live at one point or another. He's one of my favorite artists of all time, and i'm loving the new album. If you dont know who he is, just pick up his album "a strangely isolated place" and hopefully you'll enjoy it.

Anyway, for those who (may) have seen him live, what is he like/what did he play? And does anyone think he could play at a festival like Coachella?

luckyface
09-27-2007, 08:45 PM
Yeah, he is great. I actually am not liking his newest album as much as his first two, but it still is very solid. I will hopefully be seeing him next week. I have heard he is amazing live. I had a friend who saw him last tour back in 05 with m83, and he played a lot off of A Strangely Isolated Place, I guess. I don't see why he would not be able to play Coachella. The only thing that would stop him would be an invite or lack of desire to play.

betao
09-27-2007, 08:49 PM
I didnt like his new album at first, but its starting to grow on me. The only track I really dont like is Shine. But some tracks like "Stars" and "Goodbye" are instant classics, and up to his standards. I wish he would tour a bit more around these parts.

theburiedlife
09-27-2007, 10:11 PM
I kid you not i was looking through some of his stuff when i saw this thread in the coachella music lounge. He sounds fantastic!

shakermaker113
09-27-2007, 10:14 PM
he'd be great in the heineken tent. oh wait, I've never been in the heineken tent. I think they should make an air conditioned nap tent, purely for sleeping. ulrich can play in there. awesome.

jackstraw94086
09-27-2007, 10:15 PM
apparently you haven't heard his new album or his live show.

orbit
09-27-2007, 10:37 PM
Ulrich is great. It'd be interesting to hear how the new album sounds live.

I'll keep waiting for a Portishead-Dummy completely remixed by Ulrich Schnauss. Hopefully, it will happen someday. One of my fantasy remixes.

betao
09-27-2007, 10:41 PM
or him mixing some massive attack, or even boards of canada tunes. that'd be something to hear.

R3d Snapper
09-28-2007, 12:18 AM
I love the new album, more than the first two I think. I'll hopefully be seeing him in la as well.

algunz
09-28-2007, 08:07 AM
I'm debating whether to go see him on October 7 at The Detroit Bar. He seems a little sleepy, but I have heard his live show is much more energetic. Of course, sleepy's not bad for a Sunday school night. My brother is gonna see him in LA on Friday the 5th. He'll help me make my decision.

shakermaker113
09-28-2007, 08:13 AM
apparently you haven't heard his new album or his live show.

I have heard his new album. I haven't heard his live show.

fober
09-28-2007, 08:36 AM
You might also like:

The Field - From Here We Go Sublime

It's a little more mellow though.

betao
09-28-2007, 09:05 AM
I'm debating whether to go see him on October 7 at The Detroit Bar. He seems a little sleepy, but I have heard his live show is much more energetic. Of course, sleepy's not bad for a Sunday school night. My brother is gonna see him in LA on Friday the 5th. He'll help me make my decision.

go see him, I doubt you'd be disappointed

betao
09-28-2007, 09:06 AM
and for anyone who does see him live soon, please report back on how it is, i'm dying to know what its like

wmgaretjax
09-28-2007, 08:13 PM
he's playing here tomorrow. i don't really care for him. but I have a friend who is going, I'll ask him how it was.

betao
12-07-2007, 07:24 PM
*bump*

Maybe if we keep this thread alive, he can play in 08.

also, can we move this thread to the rumors section?

wmgaretjax
12-07-2007, 07:41 PM
i actually went and saw him at that show at the last minute because he offered me a free ticket. I totally forgot about it. it was an OK show. The sound design was pretty solid, I just think his music is kind of cheesy. He played a lot of goodbye (which is the only album I've heard), and my friend said he reached back and played some stuff that he didn't expect.

orbit
12-07-2007, 08:08 PM
You should get Far away trains passing by, and A Strangely isolated place. I think he is an awesome producer.

wmgaretjax
12-07-2007, 08:16 PM
yeah, the production is clearly great on Goodbye. I just think a lot of the chords, melodies, and song structures are a little cheesy. I'll check 'em out.

keriann
12-07-2007, 08:17 PM
Do you like anything ever?

wmgaretjax
12-07-2007, 08:20 PM
Do you like anything ever?

I posted my top 20 of the year in the top albums thread.

EDIT: here it is if you care:
1. Panda Bear - Person Pitch
2. Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam
3. Frog Eyes - Tears of the Valedictorian
4. Stars of the Lid - And the Refinement of Their Decline
5. John Maus - Love is Real
6. Radiohead - In Rainbows
7. Yeasayer - All Hour Cymbals
8. A Place to Bury Strangers - s/t
9. MIA - Kala
10. Deerhunter - Cryptograms
11. Supersilent - 8
12. Merzbow - Merzbear
13. Tim Hecker - Radio Amor
14. Sightings - Through the Panama
15. Kemialliset Ystavat - Untitled
16. Robert Wyatt - Comicopera
17. Sunset Rubdown - Random Spirit Lovers
18. The Besnard Lakes - Are the Dark Horse
19. Skull Defekts - Blood Spirit/Drums are Singing
20. Menomena - Friend/Foe

keriann
12-07-2007, 08:25 PM
ok. I give you +3 points for liking Menomena. And +2 for liking In Rainbows.

I would give you -a lot for Frog Eyes, but I will be nice.

wmgaretjax
12-07-2007, 08:29 PM
give frog eyes a chance. i really didn't like that album at first. but if you dedicate 40 minutes to just paying attention to it. It should click about 2/3rds of the way through Bushels. And once it finishes you'll play that song again right away.

algunz
08-02-2013, 04:20 PM
Who's seen him recently?

zeppelin77
08-02-2013, 05:32 PM
Saw him at Glastonbury this year on the recommendation of a boardie. He was pretty badass.

algunz
08-02-2013, 07:08 PM
I'm debating if I should to go to his show at The Observatory.

shakermaker113
08-03-2013, 06:40 AM
Did you end up going in 2007? Make the other decision this time.

amyzzz
08-03-2013, 06:49 AM
Damn, keriann is in this thread.

algunz
08-03-2013, 07:13 AM
No, I didn't, Shaker. Now, I hope I can convince someone to go with me.

shakermaker113
08-03-2013, 12:39 PM
it's funny looking back at my older viewpoint on this. I didn't bother with the tour in 2007, mostly because I thought (and still think) goodbye is awfully boring. I plan to go this time around though. hopefully six years is enough for him to realize how dull that material was. I need to listen to a long way to fall again. I only listened to it once, my first impression was that is it a lot more interesting.

algunz
08-03-2013, 01:50 PM
I got my tickets. I have committed.

Fourthisto
08-05-2013, 06:44 AM
Who's seen him recently?

I saw him and Chapterhouse when they toured in 2010 - that was a LOT of fun.

And even if you don't like the new album, the last album, etc... the material he plays live usually doesn't stick to just one current release or whatever. It's going to be worth it, period.

algunz
08-05-2013, 07:58 AM
Cool. Thanks.

shakermaker113
08-16-2013, 11:36 PM
And even if you don't like the new album, the last album, etc... the material he plays live usually doesn't stick to just one current release or whatever.

lol... his current tour definitely sticks to one release. as in, he played one, maybe two songs not from the A Long Way To Fall. fortunately that album sounds pretty darn good live. it definitely caught my attention enough to check the album out again. it won't sound quite the same at home though.

a little disappointed that nobody has booked him for a sunrise set at burning man. oh well.

TallGuyCM
08-19-2013, 01:26 AM
Fantastic show tonight. More hard hitting and noisy at times than I had anticipated. It almost angers me that it never sold out, though. All these shitty hype bands sell out venues instantly, and fucking Ulrich Schnauss doesn't sell out a 450 person capacity venue in Los Angeles. Correct me if I'm off base here, but is he not one of the pioneers of downtempo? Is A Strangely Isolated Place (even though he's not playing much of it on this tour) not one of the cornerstones of the genre? Do I have it all wrong?

Fourthisto
08-19-2013, 05:08 AM
lol... his current tour definitely sticks to one release. as in, he played one, maybe two songs not from the A Long Way To Fall.

Ha, No way! That's a strange change to me. Ah well, glad it was a good set anyways.

brando4n82
08-19-2013, 08:37 AM
Ulrich Schnoozefest

luckyface
08-19-2013, 08:49 AM
Fantastic show tonight. More hard hitting and noisy at times than I had anticipated. It almost angers me that it never sold out, though. All these shitty hype bands sell out venues instantly, and fucking Ulrich Schnauss doesn't sell out a 450 person capacity venue in Los Angeles. Correct me if I'm off base here, but is he not one of the pioneers of downtempo? Is A Strangely Isolated Place (even though he's not playing much of it on this tour) not one of the cornerstones of the genre? Do I have it all wrong?

I love Schnauss, but he certainly is not a pioneer of downtempo. The pioneers for the genre can be found way back in the 80s and 90s. He is a nice contributor, though.

Anyway, I had tickets and was planning on going, but sold at the last minute. I am having to cut back on shows due to some ear issues.

ficklecycle
08-19-2013, 10:33 AM
He's playing for free tonight at Bardot for School Night!

RSVP before 5 to get in http://www.itsaschoolnight.com/losangeles