PDA

View Full Version : Who takes their pre-teen to a rock show at a bar?

M Sparks
09-27-2007, 03:39 PM
I was amused by this Myspace note I got from They Might Be Giants.

TMBGs adult shows are not an appropriate place for kids.
If it is not advertised as a children's show, it's not for kids.

While the regular show is configured entirely for adults, and is performed at extreme volume and contains adult language, that is not the real point of this message.

It is because of thrown bottles, pot smoke, broken glass, drunks, crazy people, violent dancing, occasional fights, occasions of moshing and periodic stage diving that it is clear insuring the safety of children at these venues is simply out of TMBGs control. Because of this, the band is not comfortable having kids mixed into the adult crowd. Moreover, experience informs us that parents who feel they can protect their children from these very random acts of chaos are actually mistaken, and that is why the unpleasant responsibility of having to enforce an age requirement falls to the band.

Recently, local venues-in what we perceive as a transparent attempt to sell more tickets and a basic misunderstanding of the nature of the show- have chosen to fudge the bands simple directive and changed the 14+ to "recommended" 14+. We apologize for the confusion, but we have to assure you that the band was not responsible for generating it.

Yeah, I realize they do children's shows too. But what kind of dumb-ass parent takes their kids to a bar to see a rock show?

When they do kids shows, it's usually at a bookstore at 3 in the afternoon.

amyzzz
09-27-2007, 04:22 PM
I've done it, but not to those kind of rock shows. Also, my kids would love going to a TMBG show, but I've heard they don't like kids there.

BROKENDOLL
09-27-2007, 04:30 PM
[quote=M Sparks;304048]I was amused by this Myspace note I got from They Might Be Giants.

Yeah, I realize they do children's shows too. But what kind of dumb-ass parent takes their kids to a bar to see a rock show? Hence my reason for remaining without offspring...I'm no dumb-ass...

RotationSlimWang
09-27-2007, 04:39 PM
Um, They Might Be Giants had three of their songs used on a fucking episode of Tiny Toons way back in the day. I don't think they get the right to complain.

psychic friend
09-27-2007, 04:42 PM
why would kids be allowed in a bar. aren't bars 21+ ?

Mr.Nipples
09-27-2007, 04:43 PM
Um, They Might Be Giants had three of their songs used on a fucking episode of Tiny Toons way back in the day. I don't think they get the right to complain.

particle man...particle man...

Sexecutioner
09-27-2007, 04:55 PM
I was amused by this Myspace note I got from They Might Be Giants.

im amused that you have TMBG as a myspace friend.

gaypalmsprings
09-27-2007, 04:57 PM
http://www.barbieinchiba.com/showcase/pop/other/images/hardrock2.jpg

captncrzy
09-27-2007, 06:36 PM
I took my kid to Justin Timberlake. I'd never take her to a rock show at a bar.

sydaud
09-27-2007, 07:13 PM
I go to the bar to escape from my teenager and pre-teen child. Never the twain shall meet.

Sexecutioner
09-27-2007, 08:34 PM
I took my kid to Justin Timberlake. I'd never take her to a rock show at a bar.

way to start her off in the right direction...

vinylmartyr
09-27-2007, 08:44 PM
build a little birdhouse in your soul

captncrzy
09-27-2007, 08:47 PM
I was hoping he'd take his shirt off. No such luck.

samiksha
09-27-2007, 09:42 PM

i guess not if they're with their parents. since parents wouldn't allow their kids to drink. right? mhm.

dorkfish
09-27-2007, 10:18 PM
the sun is a mass of incandescent gas.

M Sparks
09-28-2007, 08:49 AM
im amused that you have TMBG as a myspace friend.

Why?

M Sparks
09-28-2007, 08:51 AM

Ummm...they actually record music specifically for children as well.

But they do shows specifically for children, and they do shows specifically for adults. Sometimes in the same day, though not on this tour.

Ardentbiscuit
09-28-2007, 08:51 AM
Apparently it's not too uncommon, look at this article about the Klaxons at the Fonda..

http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/news/article/0,,4416546,00.html

M Sparks
09-28-2007, 08:52 AM

You've never been to an "all-ages" show in a bar?

I saw The Ramones once at The Grind in Phoenix...the roon was divided down the middle with a chain link fence. You could drink on the left side of the stage, but not the right.

J~$$$
09-28-2007, 09:03 AM
This is bullshit my dad would take me to the bar with him at least once a week when I was a kid.

canexplain
09-28-2007, 09:52 AM

I saw The Ramones once at The Grind in Phoenix...the roon was divided down the middle with a chain link fence. You could drink on the left side of the stage, but not the right.

yaw, they have those kind of shows here sometimes ... half and half ... drinkers on one side on non on the other .. many times i went to the non drinking side because it was usually less crowded ... i think blue october was that way which makes sense ... and i dont know, but saying you wouldnt take your kid to a bar is sort of like saying you wouldnt drink in front of them ... now there are bars they shouldnt go to, but in a lot of ways, a place like Bennigans (sucks) is a bar .... canx**

canexplain
09-28-2007, 09:55 AM
This is bullshit my dad would take me to the bar with him at least once a week when I was a kid.

meant to quote Justin ... my parents took me to many a shows at a bar ..... thats how i saw the county legends, at least the ones i think are ...like ... J Cash, Faron Young, Jim Reeves, Marty Robbins, you know all of them right :) canx**

algunz
09-28-2007, 09:59 AM
Where does the "bar" part come from anyway. Unless, I read wrong - which has certainly been known to happen - I see no mention of a bar.

Anywho, there's a time and a place and an audience that is child appropriate. I still am not ready to bring my child to Coachella, even though I find it to be a pretty child friendly environment (accept for the heat.)

M Sparks
09-28-2007, 10:02 AM
my parents took me to many a shows at a bar ..... thats how i saw the county legends, at least the ones i think are ...like ... J Cash, Faron Young, Jim Reeves, Marty Robbins, you know all of them right :) canx**

Yeah, but when you were 5?

That's what they're talking about. They've recorded a couple albums for preschoolers, and apparently people are bringing little toddlers out.

I'm actually more jealous that you saw a youngish Johnny Cash in a bar than that you saw the Beatles at Red Rocks.

M Sparks
09-28-2007, 10:06 AM
Where does the "bar" part come from anyway. Unless, I read wrong - which has certainly been known to happen - I see no mention of a bar.

Fine, whatever..."A music venue that serves beer in bottles"...is that better than "bar"?

Their Tucson show is in a theater, but it's actually part of the "Fall Crawl", which is basically 10,000 drunks walking around downtown. That show's 21+ though.

J~$$$
09-28-2007, 10:08 AM
For that reason of going to shows/bars when I was very young I was able to see Bob Segar and the silver bullet band and Loretta Lynn.

Oh and nothing is worse than Blue grass festivals when you are a small kid in places like Idaho Washington and Colorado. Bikers, Hippies, and tons of drugs. It's strange but at the same time im thank for being able to go as a kid, its some of my greatest childhood memories.

canexplain
09-28-2007, 10:31 AM
Yeah, but when you were 5?

That's what they're talking about. They've recorded a couple albums for preschoolers, and apparently people are bringing little toddlers out.

I'm actually more jealous that you saw a youngish Johnny Cash in a bar than that you saw the Beatles at Red Rocks.

ya, on Cash, i didnt know when he was born so i looked it up, and i would have seen him when he was 25 or so ... yikes thats scary .. canx**

malcolmjamalawesome
09-28-2007, 03:53 PM
Truth be told, I've seen a fair share of BABIES in the Sahara Tent. Of course, there is some new research suggesting babies love EXTREME TEMPERATURES and HIGH DECIBEL DRUMS N BASS, so I guess it's ok.

Also, I'm pretty sure one of the babies I saw was ROLLING ITS BALLS OFF.

amyzzz
09-28-2007, 04:06 PM
I've taken my kids to see Eisley's acoustic show at the Marquee (1000 person club, all ages, but they have a bar), and I've also taken them to see The White Stripes at the Dodge Theatre (big venue, also has a bar). They wore ear plugs at all times, and my children specifically like those bands. I'd like to take my kids to Coach, but my husband is adamantly against it for now.

Grandma
09-28-2007, 04:11 PM

We had something similiar to this back in my day, except the fence was meant to divide us whites from the negroes.

captncrzy
09-30-2007, 03:52 PM

They used to split After the Gold Rush too.

captncrzy
09-30-2007, 03:54 PM
I declare Grandma to be the best alias ever.

M Sparks
10-01-2007, 06:05 AM
I've taken my kids to see Eisley's acoustic show at the Marquee (1000 person club, all ages, but they have a bar), and I've also taken them to see The White Stripes at the Dodge Theatre (big venue, also has a bar). They wore ear plugs at all times, and my children specifically like those bands. I'd like to take my kids to Coach, but my husband is adamantly against it for now.

I think the Marquee is big enough that you could keep kids out of trouble (I've never seen it even a 1/3 full) and The Dodge is as corporate and safe as it gets. Any place with old men in old-timey usher outfits isn't gettin too rowdy.

Would you take them to the Mason Jar? :)

I guess what I'm talking about are places that probably don't exist anymore. Like the Nile Theater. Not technically a bar, but probably more dangerous than one.

M Sparks
10-01-2007, 06:06 AM
They used to split After the Gold Rush too.

Never went there. Did that become The Electric Ballroom?

captncrzy
10-01-2007, 07:37 AM
Never went there. Did that become The Electric Ballroom?

Yeah I think so. I have no idea what it is now-if it's anything at all.

Those old music venues were definately not appropriate for kids (e.g. Mason Jar). The Dodge is fine. I don't know about the Marquee-I guess it depends on the band. Since it's all GA, it stands to reason that kids could be put in a dangerous "trampling" situation.

M Sparks
10-01-2007, 09:50 AM
I saw Chemlab at the Mason Jar once and Jared hit his head on a celling beam while hopping around the stage. What a pit. Even worse than The Grind, and someone got shot there.

Good times, good times...

amyzzz
10-01-2007, 12:39 PM
I took my kids to the Edgefest on Saturday. I now believe my kids are too young for festivals, and at least I found that out going to a short 1-day festival, instead of trekking with my kids to a 3-day Coachella. We missed Eisley because of traffic. :( I feel really bad about that because that was the band my kids like. JEW was really good too, but by that time my 5 year old was begging to go home.

goodgrl
10-05-2007, 07:56 PM
http://www.babylovesdisco.com/locations/chicago/
I am going to take my daughters and check this out.

JustSteve
10-05-2007, 08:52 PM
I took my kids to the Edgefest on Saturday. I now believe my kids are too young for festivals, and at least I found that out going to a short 1-day festival, instead of trekking with my kids to a 3-day Coachella. We missed Eisley because of traffic. :( I feel really bad about that because that was the band my kids like. JEW was really good too, but by that time my 5 year old was begging to go home.

we are going to take our 20 month old daughter to detour tomorrow, figure it should be pretty mellow. we only plan on being there during the day, though, maybe leave around dusk. not really going for the music anyways, more just to spend the day out in the nice weather.

chiapet
10-05-2007, 09:11 PM
Though all ages shows are not that common here, I always see young kids at them. Who cares as long as their parents are minding them and the kids are well behaved?

PassiveTheory
10-06-2007, 01:39 AM
Tonight, at the Shins show, there was this like 11 year old kid who was crowd surfing EVERYWHERE... At first I thought it was a lesbian midget, but then I got asked by him to be helped up to surf again.

I helped him up, it was amusing.

Boourns
10-16-2007, 10:56 PM
We had something similiar to this back in my day, except the fence was meant to divide us whites from the negroes.

Ahaha, great alias.

Beef Jerky
10-16-2007, 11:02 PM
My youngest sister who is 12 wants to go to rock shows but I wouldn't let her go.
I'm taking her to a rave first!!

Jk

PassiveTheory
10-17-2007, 06:12 AM
My youngest sister who is 12 wants to go to rock shows but I wouldn't let her go.
I'm taking her to a rave first!!

Jk

Why not? O.o

RotationSlimWang
10-17-2007, 06:14 AM
Why not? O.o

Someone will feed them ecstasy and gangfuck them.

Not that that's a reason to NOT go in any way. In fact, Beef, how bout you and your sis come to a rave with me? In my basement.