PDA

View Full Version : Any Clash fans out there?

brando4n82
09-27-2007, 02:45 PM
I would like to hear some of there more funky reggae stuff but i dont know what album to start with. any help?

rage patton
09-27-2007, 02:47 PM
*Paging Tom*

Just get any Clash album. They are all good.

TomAz
09-27-2007, 02:56 PM
The Clash - "White Man in Hammersmith Palais", "Police and Thieves"

London Calling - "Rudy Can't Fail", "The Guns of Brixton", "Revolution Rock". but really a reggae/rock steady beat shows up in all sorts of places on this album.

Sandinista! - "Junco Partner", "The Crooked Beat", "One More Time/One More Dub"

Down Rodeo
09-27-2007, 03:05 PM
Also, check out their excellent cover of "Pressure Drop" on Super Black Market Clash.

TomAz
09-27-2007, 03:13 PM
yeah, or just get Funky Kingston.

Down Rodeo
09-27-2007, 03:14 PM
Agreed. Rock on, Toots.

M Sparks
09-27-2007, 03:16 PM
*Paging Tom*

Just get any Clash album. They are all good.

Ummmmmmm....Three words

Cut
The
Crap

"Every great band should be shot, before they make their Combat Rock"- Too Much Joy

fiyahhh!
09-27-2007, 03:19 PM
You can get any Clash album and not go wrong. Also check out Streetcore by Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros... standout reggae-influenced tracks are "Get Down Moses" and his cover of Marley's "Redemption Song".
R.I.P. Joe...

brando4n82
09-27-2007, 03:19 PM
well, shit. i guess ill just dl them all. thanks for the help guys

TomAz
09-27-2007, 03:21 PM
Give Em Enough Rope and Combat Rock really don't have much "reggae" on them. Combat Rock has plenty of "funky" though.

Cut the Crap does not exist.

TomAz
09-27-2007, 03:22 PM
You can get any Clash album and not go wrong. Also check out Streetcore by Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros... standout reggae-influenced tracks are "Get Down Moses" and his cover of Marley's "Redemption Song".
R.I.P. Joe...

the Mescaleros stuff is all very good.

rage patton
09-27-2007, 03:22 PM
R.I.P. Joe...

Streetcore is an amazing album. I was just listening to it actually.

Immagine Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros, outdoor theatre, sunset...

I miss Joe.

brando4n82
09-27-2007, 03:26 PM
Give Em Enough Rope and Combat Rock really don't have much "reggae" on them. Combat Rock has plenty of "funky" though.

Well i will definitely take funk

TomAz
09-27-2007, 03:30 PM
Best Clash funk song is "This Is Radio Clash" which is not on any album but shows up on various comps. Others of note are "The Magnificent Seven" on Sandinista and "Overpowered by Funk" on Combat Rock.

fiyahhh!
09-27-2007, 03:32 PM
I'm reading the Joe Strummer biography "Redemption Song: the Ballad of Joe Strummer" -- it's very good -- not quite as entertaining a read as "A Drink With Shane MacGowan", but still a good book. Has anyone heard anything about the movie coming out called "the Future Is Unwritten"? All I know is it's about Strummer... so, I guess I'll have to see it.

M Sparks
09-27-2007, 03:33 PM

:D Nice!

TomAz
09-27-2007, 03:33 PM
oh, i forgot, another good Clash reggae is "Bankrobber" which is also only on compilations.

TomAz
09-27-2007, 03:34 PM
I'm reading the Joe Strummer biography "Redemption Song: the Ballad of Joe Strummer" -- it's very good -- not quite as entertaining a read as "A Drink With Shane MacGowan", but still a good book. Has anyone heard anything about the movie coming out called "the Future Is Unwritten"? All I know is it's about Strummer... so, I guess I'll have to see it.

I've just started that book myself.

brando4n82
09-27-2007, 03:36 PM

What is Cut the Crap? it shows up on The Clash Discography

TomAz
09-27-2007, 03:44 PM
What is Cut the Crap? it shows up on The Clash Discography

It is mistaken. That album does not exist. Please correct your facts. Do not make us take you in for re-education.

bballarl
09-27-2007, 03:49 PM
Tom thinks that album fails. He has selective amnesia about it.

TomAz
09-27-2007, 03:50 PM
Andrew, the Revolutionary Guards are going to pay you a visit tonight. Put your affairs in order.

bballarl
09-27-2007, 03:52 PM
If they can find me, they'll be paying me a visit.

TomAz
09-27-2007, 03:53 PM
also, brando4n82, you should be aware that London Calling is the greatest achievement in any field of endeavor in the history of human beings.

bballarl
09-27-2007, 03:56 PM
Behind Loveless.

Yablonowitz
09-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Sandinista! is where I'd start if you pretty much want to hear every style of music The Clash played.

And who ever just dissed on "Combat Rock" has clearly never heard "Straight to Hell." That song alone makes that album worthwhile.

mountmccabe
09-27-2007, 04:03 PM
It is mistaken. That album does not exist. Please correct your facts. Do not make us take you in for re-education.

I think Cody got your copy or I'd post a pic, Tom.

sydaud
09-27-2007, 07:25 PM
yeah, or just get Funky Kingston.

Good advise. "Time Tough" is one of the greatest album openers, ever, and the album doesn't have a single bad cut.

And who ever just dissed on "Combat Rock" has clearly never heard "Straight to Hell." That song alone makes that album worthwhile.

By far the best song on the album....

All That I Am
09-27-2007, 08:14 PM
What a fucking trip, i came on to start a thread to ask "What is the best Clash DVD" and this thread was already up!

Well if there are any resident experts on The Clash please lemme know what the best DVD is.
thanks

TomAz
09-28-2007, 07:02 AM
none of the DVDs are all that great IMO. Westway to the World I suppose is the best but it'd be better if there were more concert footage and less unintelligible interviews.

Mr.Nipples
09-28-2007, 07:07 AM
i heard a muzak version of lost in the supermarket at a health food store about a couple weeks ago...at least i thought it was...

All That I Am
09-28-2007, 08:54 AM
none of the DVDs are all that great IMO. Westway to the World I suppose is the best but it'd be better if there were more concert footage and less unintelligible interviews.

yeah, most of the clips I've seen don't look so hot.

Down Rodeo
09-28-2007, 09:22 AM

Unfortunately, I think the exact same thing every time I watch this DVD.

Down Rodeo
09-28-2007, 09:23 AM
By the way, has anyone seen Rude Boy? Is it worth watching?

TomAz
09-28-2007, 09:28 AM
I saw Rude Boy in the theater when it first came out. I don't remember it being very good, or having a plot that made much sense. but that was a long time ago.

TomAz
09-28-2007, 09:29 AM
Also, I should note that my ommission of "Armagiddeon Time" from the list of Clash reggae songs was really stupid of me.

TomAz
09-28-2007, 09:32 AM
Also, and after this I'll shut up I promise, but if there is any interest from brando4n82 or anyone else, I could make a Clash "funky reggae" mix.

M Sparks
09-28-2007, 10:15 AM

I was quoting a song lyric, as evidenced when I put it in quotes and credited it as a song lyric. :)

Combat Rock is OK, although Straight To Hell is the only thing really great on there.

The FILM "Straight To Hell" remains unwatchable.

M Sparks
09-28-2007, 10:21 AM
BTW...I saw "Let's Rock Again" a few months ago. Did anyone else find it extremely depressing? I almost cried when Joe was trying to get into the radio station on the intercom.

Yablonowitz
09-28-2007, 11:22 AM
I was quoting a song lyric, as evidenced when I put it in quotes and credited it as a song lyric. :)

Combat Rock is OK, although Straight To Hell is the only thing really great on there.

"Rock the Casbah" owns.

Yablonowitz
09-28-2007, 11:27 AM

I actually thought the best part of that doc were the interviews with Joe. I've only seen it once though. It starts with an awesome quote, I'll probably botch it though, something like: "Great art is intuitive, not intellectual."

downingthief
09-28-2007, 12:46 PM
Best Clash funk song is "This Is Radio Clash" which is not on any album but shows up on various comps. Others of note are "The Magnificent Seven" on Sandinista and "Overpowered by Funk" on Combat Rock.

Magnificent Seven = my favorite Clash tune...

Useless knowledge on that track...Paul did NOT play bass on that track. Too bad...when i first heard it, I was gushing over how much I loved that bass line.

breakjaw
09-29-2007, 12:23 AM
Except for Joe's performance,which was great,IMO.Combing his hair with the gasoline and switchblade was so fuckin' cool.He was also real good in "Mystery Train".An underrated actor.

clarky123
09-29-2007, 02:56 AM
rlGHBfueOdc

fiyahhh!
09-29-2007, 05:17 AM
Who else saw Good the Bad and the Queen's set last year and thought Paul was the coolest guy there? The way he played his bass -- holding it like a Tommy Gun while shooting his bass lines into the crowd with his hat cocked just right... looking about and nodding his head in approval of the masses... or am I just that much of a fanboy??

breakjaw
10-01-2007, 12:13 AM
Who else saw Good the Bad and the Queen's set last year and thought Paul was the coolest guy there?
I did,right before laying back on the grass and drifting off during their set.

M Sparks
10-01-2007, 05:59 AM
Who else saw Good the Bad and the Queen's set last year and thought Paul was the coolest guy there? The way he played his bass -- holding it like a Tommy Gun while shooting his bass lines into the crowd with his hat cocked just right... looking about and nodding his head in approval of the masses... or am I just that much of a fanboy??

I saw Havana 3AM at a festival in '91- the band sucked (or rather, the songs did), but I was up against the stage right at Paul's feet and he was, indeed, badass.

brando4n82
10-01-2007, 06:21 AM
Who else saw Good the Bad and the Queen's set last year ?

I heard you couldnt hear too well because they were being drowned out by fucking Tiesto. I was watching the Rapture, just to make it perfectly clear i wasnt at tiesto

TomAz
04-02-2010, 02:26 PM
look what i found.

_nSrKBFWviU

Ranking Roger even comments on the youtube page.

FoxeyLady
04-02-2010, 03:19 PM
London Calling is the greatest achievement in any field of endeavor in the history of human beings.

might be my favorite album of all time. :thu

TomAz
07-29-2011, 06:51 AM
Hi guys, I made you a present.

http://www.dangerousminds.net/images/uploads/the_clash_by_futura_2000_old_school_graffiti_punk_ funk_hip_hop_rap.jpg (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z0ODLTV3)

FUNKY REGGAE PARTY

1. The Magnificent Seven
2. Police and Thieves
3. Cool Confusion
4. The Guns of Brixton
5. Radio Clash
6. Armagideon Time
7. Cmon Every Beatbox (BAD)
8. Get Down Moses (JS&tM)
9. Long Time Jerk
10. E=Mc2 (BAD)
11. Overpowered by Funk
12. Tony Adams (JS&tM)
13. Bad (BAD)
14. White Man in Hammersmith Palais
15. Rock the Casbah
16. Yalla Yalla (JS&tM)

JustSteve
07-29-2011, 07:08 AM
love "yalla, yalla", so much better live than on record, too. saw him play it at the hootenanny fest in san diego in '02 and he actually teared up a bit as he was playing it and enjoying the moment with the crowd.

zircona1
07-29-2011, 07:21 AM
Can't remember the year, but years ago Joe and the Mescaleros came to town for a show. I wasn't a big Clash fan, but I decided to go b/c "it's the guy from the Clash, maybe he'll play some old songs".

So, so glad I decided to go now that I love The Clash and that Strummer is no longer with us. It was great.

Someone had a big sign that said THIS IS ALL ABOUT FREE SPEECH! Joe took it and put it up on stage right when they came out.

TomAz
07-29-2011, 01:08 PM
Yalla Yalla is one song that when I hear it now I think, this is where Joe was going. sort of the downtempo triphop thing welded to some really aggressive vocals that works beautifully. It makes me miss him more.

arsgunner
07-29-2011, 06:26 PM
the clash are the only band that matters

TomAz
07-29-2011, 09:28 PM
I had that original sticker. 1980.

getbetter
07-30-2011, 02:02 AM
TomAZ where the hell were you during BAD???? I did not see you anywhere.

TomAz
07-30-2011, 06:34 AM
I was right in front of the soundboard. WHERE THE HELL WERE YOU

getbetter
07-30-2011, 02:28 PM
Like 5-8 people from the front center of the stage.

TomAz
08-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Based on the overwhelming popularity of my first link up there.

This is mostly primer material for the curious.

http://29.media.tumblr.com/7wPa0LiFPcq2yclrOPOjqgGa_500.jpg (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VRD09NPA)

ROCK AND ROLL

1. Complete Control (live)
2. Safe European Home
3. Up In Heaven (Not Only Here)
4. Janie Jones
5. Know Your Rights (live)
6. Clampdown
7. Police On My Back (live)
8. Tommy Gun
9. I'm Not Down
10. 1-2 Crush On You
11. Death or Glory
12. I'm So Bored With the USA
13. The Call Up
14. White Riot (US version)
15. London Calling
16. Should I Stay or Should I Go (live)

Miroir Noir
10-06-2011, 08:26 AM
I saw this (http://slicingeyeballs.tumblr.com/post/11099878669/joe-strummer-and-mick-jones-have-moved-on-but) today and thought that you might a kick out of it, Tom:

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsncvjFIMp1qeetdyo1_500.jpg

getbetter
10-06-2011, 06:45 PM
Awesome find.

fiyahhh!
08-18-2012, 03:31 PM
On Tuesday, Aug. 21st, at 4:00pm EST Jesse Malin will be hosting a tribute to Joe Strummer show on www.eastvillageradio.com. Music from the 101ers to the Mescaleros, plus stories from his friends, family, colleagues and collaborators.

stuporfly
08-18-2012, 05:35 PM
Jesse Malin is a big Strummer fan, a fun storyteller and a pretty good guy. He co-owns Niagara, an East Village bar which has (or did have, it's been a while since I've drunkenly stumbled out of there) this mural on an exterior wall...

http://vassifer.blogs.com/photos/my_vanishing_downtown/joe.JPG

arsgunner
08-18-2012, 06:21 PM
it's still there at 7th st and ave A..was there 2 months ago

for anyone that cares,the sattelite is having a clash tribute night this tuesday..it's free and should be cool

JustSteve
08-19-2012, 09:41 AM
Re-reading his biography right now, man what a life he lived. He was the first music idol whose death truly devastated me. For those that haven't read it, seek it out immediately, great read.

Next year at Coachella I will have this flag flying from the rv, really wish I could be out supporting the Strummerville fest this weekend in the UK:

http://www.mamstore.co.uk/templates/imagedirectory/Strummerville_HandmadeFlag_Large.jpg

ods..
08-19-2012, 10:02 AM
Jesse Malin is a big Strummer fan, a fun storyteller and a pretty good guy. He co-owns Niagara, an East Village bar which has (or did have, it's been a while since I've drunkenly stumbled out of there) this mural on an exterior wall...

http://vassifer.blogs.com/photos/my_vanishing_downtown/joe.JPG

used to walk by this every day :pulse

I MISS THE EAST VILLAGE

getbetter
08-19-2012, 10:17 AM
Theres a new clash documentary that having a west premire coming up in LA.

JustSteve
08-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Reading around and supposedly there will be a clash box set released in the next year or so, coming packaged in a boombox styled box.

Riggins33
08-19-2012, 03:53 PM
Theres a new clash documentary that having a west premire coming up in LA.

Another clash documentary? That's a little overkill I think. The Future is Unwritten and Westway to the World were good enough.

getbetter
08-19-2012, 10:42 PM
The rise and fall of the clash 8/29 at cinefamily...I might just go the next day for the circle jerks doc.

TomAz
08-20-2012, 05:51 AM
Another clash documentary? That's a little overkill I think. The Future is Unwritten and Westway to the World were good enough.

The story of how the Clash imploded has never really been well told in film though. I think it could be a worthwhile contribution, depending on if they do it well or not.

getbetter
08-20-2012, 06:22 AM
The story of how the Clash imploded has never really been well told in film though. I think it could be a worthwhile contribution, depending on if they do it well or not.

Tom is right and this looks good.

yjOu4vTmMO0&

TomAz
08-20-2012, 07:55 AM
That might be the most coherent sentence you've ever posted.

JustSteve
08-20-2012, 09:43 AM
Is "England's Dreaming" a worthwhile read, anyone?

stuporfly
08-20-2012, 10:28 AM
Definitely. It's a pretty engaging document of the English punks, mostly focusing on the Sex Pistols. '77 Sulphate Strip by Barry Cain is another interesting read covering that scene.

My main reservation about The Rise and Fall of the Clash is that it seems to take the post-Mick Jones years a little more seriously than I do. It's certainly an intriguing chapter in the group's history, and one or two songs from that era aren't as bad as I remember thinking they were when I was 15. That and I believe Paul Simonon isn't involved in the film. He didn't do The Future is Unwritten either, though that was more about Joe's entire life than just the Clash. I'd have been interested in Simonon's perspective on the Cut the Crap days in the context of this film.

There's a pretty terrific story written by Mat Snow in the November 2008 issue of Mojo about the demise of the Clash (ending with the departure of Mick and Topper) that's worth seeking out. For the history of the busking five-piece Clash which followed, Uncut has put out a pair of archival collections - one from the NME and the other from Melody Maker - which have some fun/depressing tales from when it was all happening. The former has the legendary 3-part series from 1977 where Lester Bangs followed the Clash around England, but as the latter came out late last year it might be easier to dig up. That Bangs piece is in Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung, which is one of a handful of books I've read at least five times.

JustSteve
08-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Went ahead and added a used copy of England's Dreaming to an amazon order since it only added $3 to the overall order price after qualifying for the free super saver shipping. Can't go wrong for that price, I guess. Wanted to get the revised edition, but it seemed to only be available in paperback. I like hardcover, dammit

Grabbed this shirt recently, too. I was born in a good year...although may have rather been a teenager in that era rather than a newborn.

http://machetemfg.com/ProductImages/joe-strummer/strummer-77_lg.jpg

Mr. Fuzz
08-20-2012, 10:48 AM
"Brand New Cadilac" is the best Clash song.

TomAz
08-20-2012, 10:54 AM
may have rather been a teenager in that era rather than a newborn.

No. 1977 is much better in retrospect than it was at the time.

These are the Billboard magazine Hot 100 number one hits of 1977.

January 1

"Tonight's the Night (Gonna Be Alright)"

Rod Stewart

January 8

"You Don't Have to Be a Star (To Be in My Show)"

Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis, Jr.

January 15

"You Make Me Feel Like Dancing"

Leo Sayer

January 22

"I Wish"

Stevie Wonder

January 29

"Car Wash"

Rose Royce

February 5

"Torn Between Two Lovers"

Mary MacGregor

February 12

February 19

"Blinded by the Light"

Manfred Mann's Earth Band

February 26

"New Kid in Town"

Eagles

March 5

"Evergreen (Love Theme from A Star Is Born)"

Barbra Streisand

March 12

March 19

March 26

"Rich Girl"

Daryl Hall and John Oates

April 2

April 9

"Dancing Queen"

ABBA

April 16

"Don't Give Up on Us"

David Soul

April 23

"Don't Leave Me This Way"

Thelma Houston

April 30

"Southern Nights"

Glen Campbell

May 7

"Hotel California"

Eagles

May 14

"When I Need You"

Leo Sayer

May 21

"Sir Duke"

Stevie Wonder

May 28

June 4

June 11

"I'm Your Boogie Man"

KC and the Sunshine Band

June 18

"Dreams"

Fleetwood Mac

June 25

"Got to Give It Up (Part 1)"

Marvin Gaye

July 2

"Gonna Fly Now (Theme From Rocky)"

Bill Conti

July 9

"Undercover Angel"

Alan O'Day

July 16

"Da Doo Ron Ron"

Shaun Cassidy

July 23

"Looks Like We Made It"

Barry Manilow

July 30

"I Just Want to Be Your Everything"

Andy Gibb

August 6

August 13

August 20

"Best of My Love"

The Emotions

August 27

September 3

September 10

September 17

"I Just Want to Be Your Everything"

Andy Gibb

September 24

"Best of My Love"

The Emotions

October 1

"Star Wars Theme/Cantina Band"

Meco

October 8

October 15

"You Light Up My Life"

Debby Boone

October 22

October 29

November 5

November 12

November 19

November 26

December 3

December 10

December 17

December 24

"How Deep Is Your Love"

Bee Gees

December 31

JustSteve
08-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Yeah, I guess. Got to be a teenager during the early 90's alt/grunge explosion, that was fun to be young for.

My nephew gave me a a picture of Paul Simonon that his dad took back in the 70's for Christmas last year, was a really cool present to receive. Guess he was one of the cool ones not into what was charting at the time.