PDA

View Full Version : In depth review of Arctic Monkeys last night/Ornette Coleman tonight

bballarl
09-26-2007, 10:39 PM
Last night I saw Arctic Monkeys at the Hollywood Palladium. First off, the venue is weird and vaguely creepy. If they had renovated it, I can't imagine how old or shitty it was before. It had the vibe of L.A. Confidential. Which is a cool movie. Nevermind.

Anyway, the crowd sucked ass. I got there after Voxtrot and stood by the soundboard, and I had at least 30 people bump into me trying to walk down to the floor. I couldn't understand why. There were other, less crowded ways to go down to the floor. The sound was iffy as well. It was pretty loud, but kind of echo-y. The band sounded good but I enjoyed Coachella more. The vibe, the energy, everything. The new song (Nettles) is cool.

1. Jam (probably a B-Side that I don't know the title of. There were no vocals).
2. This House Is A Circus
3. Brianstorm
4. Still Take You Home
5. Dancing Shoes
6. From The Ritz To The Rubble
7. Fake Tales Of San Francisco
8. Balaclava
9. Old Yellow Bricks
10. I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor
11. Flourescent Adolescent
12. Teddy Picker
13. D Is For Dangerous
14. Do Me A Favor
15. If You Were There, Beware
16. The Nettles
17. View From The Afternoon
18. Leave Before The Lights Come On
19. When The Sun Goes Down
20. A Certain Romance

Bryan and I saw Ornette Coleman. Ornette Coleman played with a quartet at Royce Hall tonight. His son was on drums, Coleman played sax, trumpet and violin, and there were three guys on bass. One was on electric bass and the other two were on acoustic bass. One played his mostly like a cello, while they other plucked his. But the latter guy also used a bow and a wah wah pedal and stuff.

Anyway, they were unbelievable. I caught myself with my mouth open two or three times. The level of musicianship was stellar. They were so tight it was ridiculous. The sounds were all over the place, but they made perfect sense. It's really hard to describe how they sounded (besides the obvious free jazz label), but it was beautiful and really, really good. The last four songs were on a different level. What an excellent first jazz show (for me). The crowd when crazy when they ended, and they came out for a one song encore. They tore the place down. One of the best concerts I've ever seen.

bmack86
09-26-2007, 11:24 PM
Ornette was amazing. He encored with Lonely Woman. The whole show was stellar.

dubvulture
09-26-2007, 11:45 PM
what i love about the palladium is that the bar on the right side is always empty since everyone is trying to get drinks out in the lobby. fun show. the pit was a sausage fest.

suprefan
09-27-2007, 05:51 AM
Tha Palladium isnt renovated yet, thats next year. Right now its in its current old state and will be just a memory after Moz is done with his residency.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-27-2007, 07:29 AM
Ornette is someone I would like to see before they go....