PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone offer camping/$$ answers and advice?

creepy/creature
09-25-2007, 08:07 PM
I could probably find this out with some thorough website/message board scouring, but I'm lazy and want quick answers.
So my friend and I are Coachella noobs, and we are seriously considering coming to the 2008 Festival, with money being the biggest issue.
We are planning on camping, and I was wondering if there is any good advice other, more seasoned Coachella goers could pass on to us when it comes to camping. Also, will we have to pay for our camping ticket separately? I know the weekend pass is, what, $250? I just want to figure what I'm spending money on before I start spending it.
Thanks.

Bud Luster
09-25-2007, 08:31 PM
I could probably find this out with some thorough website/message board scouring

psychic friend
09-25-2007, 08:45 PM
camping tickets are separate, they are good for one person each and they are good for the whole weekend.

opinions on camping will vary from people who have been who loved it to people who have been who hated it to people who have never been talking out their butt.... for the same or different reasons. you should ask specific questions for more thorough answers.

xxoo

GTI_GRL
09-25-2007, 08:55 PM
Expect to pay around $330-350 for a 3 day pass and a 4 day camping pass.

If you are going to drive

If you don't have it already, buy your camping gear now. Lots of places have clearanced tents, ice chests, and other items you might need. You get a 7x7 spot per person, try to find a tent that fits within the size of room given (9x9, 10x7). Also look for a tent with a lot of mesh, you will need the air flow. If you need to buy an ice chest, spend a little more for one with wheels.

If your going to fly,

Buy your gear here and either return it or leave it.

DeltaSigChi4
09-25-2007, 10:00 PM
Buy your camping pass[es] before they sell out.

E

Mr.Nipples
09-26-2007, 06:46 AM
bring a tarp or overhang of some sort, shade is a prized commodity when the sun really starts kicking ass.

J~$$$
09-26-2007, 07:19 AM
EDIT: Dont party with TAKIRA!

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c193/mmmmdoughnuts/IMG_3734.jpg

BROKENDOLL
09-26-2007, 10:46 AM
Everytime I see that pic I ache thinkng about how awful a feeling that had to be...Tequilla overdose+ hot stuffy tent= Ugh...

GTI_GRL
09-27-2007, 01:46 PM
freeze your bottled water = buying less ice

gaypalmsprings
09-27-2007, 04:22 PM
xxoo

any xxoo's for me?

Wheres the beef?
09-29-2007, 04:16 PM
EDIT: Dont party with TAKIRA!

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c193/mmmmdoughnuts/IMG_3734.jpg

I RUV TAKIRA!!!!

orbit
10-02-2007, 08:20 PM
I was going to leave my camping gear in the campgrounds, but decided to bring it back home with me. I'm glad I did it, I'll be using it again next year.

PrettyRagdoll
10-06-2007, 10:30 PM
Bring a tarp and prepare to buy a lot of ice through out the weekend, because freezing your water only keeps shit cold until the end of the first day

Wheres the beef?
10-07-2007, 05:16 PM
Or just buy a five day cooler and not worry about it.

invisiblerobots
10-07-2007, 06:24 PM
Camping sucks.

orbit
10-07-2007, 10:27 PM
I only bought about 5 bags of ice during the entire weekend.

DeltaSigChi4
10-08-2007, 08:13 AM
Zero [0] bags of ice here.

Why would you need ice? What the fuck are you keeping? BBQ meat>?

E

orbit
10-08-2007, 10:04 AM
Actually, it was for me and my friend. You know, to keep things like fruit and medicine.

noonertic
10-10-2007, 12:57 AM
Do many people camp? Ive also heard that you cannot bring alcohol into the campsite with you (anything you drink will have to be bought there...is this true?)

DeltaSigChi4
10-10-2007, 01:00 AM
It's against the rules to bring in alcohol but no one follows the rules.

E

Catface
10-10-2007, 02:18 AM
so do they check to see if you have alcohol in your baggage?
the non-alcohol thing is the only thing putting me off camping...

aprillynnn
10-26-2007, 04:38 PM
i agree, you need to bring some kind of tarp to create some kind of shade ... we forgot about this little tiny detail, waiting for the festival to open each day at the campgrounds baking the the sun was not fun.

aprillynnn
10-26-2007, 04:39 PM
so do they check to see if you have alcohol in your baggage?
the non-alcohol thing is the only thing putting me off camping...

I remember them checking the first day for bottles (into the campsite) ... but nothing after that.

DeltaSigChi4
10-26-2007, 04:52 PM
I arrived on the first day and was never checked.

Also, shade is over*rated. You wake up at 9A, you wait to take a shower in the line. Say it's 11A when you go have breakfast, still in the greenzone. By the time you're done with all that .... "gates" are open. You stroll into the festival. Plenty of shade there.

There is no reason to be in need of shade in the camping zone. Unless you're not showering everyday. If that is the case, then bring shade.

E

miscorrections
10-26-2007, 04:53 PM
9 am? did you have a tent fan? because i was dying by 7 am.

aprillynnn
10-26-2007, 04:59 PM
I arrived on the first day and was never checked.

Also, shade is over*rated. You wake up at 9A, you wait to take a shower in the line. Say it's 11A when you go have breakfast, still in the greenzone. By the time you're done with all that .... "gates" are open. You stroll into the festival. Plenty of shade there.

There is no reason to be in need of shade in the camping zone. Unless you're not showering everyday. If that is the case, then bring shade.

E

you are stronger person than i am .... even being from hawaii, we couldn't handle the heat by 9am.
once in the festival we were fine.

DeltaSigChi4
10-26-2007, 05:57 PM
The last place I resided in prior to now was Hawai'i.

But, that's all besides the point. It isn't that hot. It was actually nice and cool. I also had recently returned from a deployment in occupying a country in the Middle East, so that may have something to do with it. :o

E

lowfront
10-26-2007, 07:30 PM
I woke up at 10am every morning in my tent without feeling the heat like crazy as everyone seems to go nuts about.

Camping is great. And I never had ice or a cooler. Don't see the reason too unless your a bitch like my roommate that needs a separate mini fridge next to his bed because he needs that cold drink at all times right next to him, like an asshole.

Cpt. Funkaho
10-26-2007, 07:54 PM
Camping is really fun... I highly recommend it at least the first year you come. It adds a whole 'nother dimension to the experience.

The sun forced me up by 7 AM every morning, but I'm not exactly used to temperatures of the Coachella variety. I didn't bother with ice, and I suggest you don't either, because it ends up being more of a hassle than anything else.

They say no alcohol in the campsite, but essentially that ends up being more of a reminder not to get completely wasted and be a dick/dehydrate yourself. Essentially, as long as you're discreet when bringing in/consuming your alcohol, you should be all right.

I thought I would drink a lot, but I actually only ended up drinking on Thursday night and not again after that... I didn't want to risk dehydration or a hangover ruining me for the next day. And by Sunday night I was so tired I didn't even think about it.

Got pretty drunk in the Palm Springs airport on Monday waiting 18 hours for my flight, though...

DeltaSigChi4
10-26-2007, 08:17 PM
I woke up at 10am every morning in my tent without feeling the heat like crazy as everyone seems to go nuts about.

Maybe the little spot of the field was the coolest. Maybe everywhere else was 130 degrees F, while out tents were in the special clouded areas where it stayed 80 F. :)

E

Wheres the beef?
11-04-2007, 10:53 PM
Maybe bring cardboard to put up to block the sun. We are gonna go hobo-retro this year.

chiapet
11-04-2007, 11:56 PM
I am an utter wimp when it comes to heat. (Seriously, I woke up whining about "heat" here when it was only 75F today.) I didn't really think Coachella was too bad.

Granted, the tent fans helped. A canopy helps even more - aligned over and slightly east from your tent, the worst of the morning sun is blocked. If you want and need to sleep badly enough, you'll do it anyway.

Drink lots of water, don't drink tons of alcohol, and go to bed at a reasonable hour.

Wheres the beef?
11-05-2007, 12:17 PM
I am an utter wimp when it comes to heat. (Seriously, I woke up whining about "heat" here when it was only 75F today.) I didn't really think Coachella was too bad.

Granted, the tent fans helped. A canopy helps even more - aligned over and slightly east from your tent, the worst of the morning sun is blocked. If you want and need to sleep badly enough, you'll do it anyway.

Drink lots of water, drink tons of alcohol, and you dont have to go to bed at a reasonable hour.

Corrected for truth.

theburiedlife
11-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Bring duct tape if you go camping, it has helped me and my friends during the past few years more than anything else we brought (save the tent, and money).

DeltaSigChi4
11-05-2007, 03:42 PM
What for? Kidnapping and raping people?

WTF?

E

Trick Loves The Kids
11-05-2007, 06:15 PM
Camping is half the fun of Coachella. Meeting a bunch of crazy and/or drugged out foreigners and being extremely uncomfortable are really parts of the Coachella experience for me (I'm not being sarcastic) and I'll never stay in a hotel.

http://www.ourcampsite.com/images/onetouchcanopylarge.jpg

That's the real shit. Tents are completely unnecessary. Dining canopies are where the fuck it's at... you never get too hot, you don't get too cold at night if you have a sleeping bad, and as long as you don't bring anything expensive it doesn't matter that you don't have walls. I mean if you're trying to smash hippie sluts you might want a tent but for other people dining canopies are the shit.

gaypalmsprings
11-05-2007, 07:10 PM
http://www.pridefloat.org/2002pix/images/KAMPY_jpg.jpg

freshdirect
01-30-2009, 09:42 AM
Zero [0] bags of ice here.

Why would you need ice? What the fuck are you keeping? BBQ meat>?

E

uhh its called cold drinks

collaboration
02-01-2009, 07:05 PM
ok so i have an official
california id and im gonna be 4 moths shy of being 18 when april comes around
but on my id it says in a blue line "will be age 18 in 2009" something like that
in bold ltters
will they really look at it to see if im 18??

help!

emtgreg
02-01-2009, 10:55 PM
i might be wrong...

but i am pretty sure that security guards in california...

know how to read california id's...

emtgreg
02-01-2009, 10:55 PM
also, why did you bump this thread?

i forgot how assholish delta was...

but amusing at the same time...