PDA

View Full Version : Any LA Bass Players Who Don't Suck On Here?

RotationSlimWang
09-25-2007, 05:30 PM
So here's the deal: my best friend who's something of a musical mastermind particularly as a drummer finally moved out here a few months ago and we've been struggling to find quality talent to fill out the band we've been planning for years. Managed after extensive searchs on craigslist and a bunch of other such sources to find a quality guitar player who's hip to the sound we're going for. Both guitarist and drummer have over ten years experience playing in mildly successful bands (like locally successful, not touring or anything).

Problem is every bass player we get a response from either SUCKS (mostly) or wants to be payed just to come practice in the studio or is otherwise completely not what we need. So I figured I might as well throw a shout to the fine board community and see if any of y'all are interested.

Influences include but are not limited to: Tool, A Perfect Circle, NIN, Porcupine Tree. Looking to make darker, melodic, progressive **NOT DREAM THEATER PROGRESSIVE** sound.

PM me or whatever.

bmack86
09-25-2007, 05:33 PM
I like the inclusion of Porcupine Tree.

I'm not good enough, I admit it.

RotationSlimWang
09-25-2007, 05:37 PM
Like how not good? Cause at this point we'd be more than happy to take a shot at anyone who has at least a couple years under their belt and has good taste in music--at least just to jam once and see if anything clicks. But realize that I am in this band, so you'd have to like know me and stuff. I should have added that as a disclaimer.

rage patton
09-25-2007, 05:51 PM
I like how you made sure people knew you werent going for a Dream Theatre sound. Thank god.

bmack86
09-25-2007, 05:53 PM
as in, though I've played for a few years, I've never developed past hilariously rudimentary playing. I'm simply not very talented at this point.

RotationSlimWang
09-25-2007, 05:56 PM
Hmm... alright, well, fair enough. Too bad though. If you happen to know anyone off-board, I'd appreciate any help. We're getting pissed off--the shit they put together with just the two of them sounds great, but it's been like two months now and we really don't want to do the Reznor method and have our guitarist record the bass tracks because he kinda needs someone to feed off of.

BROKENDOLL
09-25-2007, 06:24 PM
I like how you made sure people knew you werent going for a Dream Theatre sound. Thank god. What exactly is the Dream Theatre Sound? I'm still trying to decipher or catogorize the Techno/ Electronica/ Trance styles, being the "youngster" that I am...

RotationSlimWang
09-25-2007, 06:26 PM
Um, they're not anything like that. They're progressive rock that jerks itself off and sucks.

BROKENDOLL
09-25-2007, 06:33 PM
Um, they're not anything like that. They're progressive rock that jerks itself off and sucks. So you're looking for something harder? Or, someone harder...Shit! Just realized how that unfolded...Now I spaced out on what I wanted to really say!:rolleyes

RotationSlimWang
09-25-2007, 06:37 PM
It's not an issue of hardness... just listen to them and you'll see.

rage patton
09-25-2007, 06:50 PM
Um, they're not anything like that. They're progressive rock that jerks itself off and sucks.

Know what I fuckin hate most about Dream Theatre? Their fuckin keyboardist. Normaly, I love keyboards in music. All types of music. But god do Dream Theatres fuck it up by being pretentiously technical. Actualy John Petrucci is a technical asshole too. However, Petrucci>>>Vai. I do like thier bassist though. I am not a drummer by anymeans... but I do seem to like thier drums too. Perhaps you can fill me in Randy whether or not hes a jerkoff, or if he is actually talented.

RotationSlimWang
09-25-2007, 08:03 PM
I've only ever been forced to listen to them a couple times and couldn't really remember how any of the songs go, but I'm sure he's very technically skilled which doesn't really mean anything to me if you're in a band.

What defines a "good" anything is weird. What is the most impressive actual drumming by itself has little to do with what is the most impressive as part of a song. This is one of the reasons I hate solos--you're supposed to be serving a larger melodic purpose, not just entertaining yourself. Some of the most skilled players in the world, for me, do a disservice to the music by distracting instead of enhancing. That's what I'd guess Dream Theater's drummer is, because that's what the whole band is. Lots of "Look Ma, we're playing!"

RotationSlimWang
09-25-2007, 08:06 PM
Also, I apologize in advance, but I will be bumping this regularly for... oh, let's say a week, then I'll give it up.

i_like_cake530
09-25-2007, 08:29 PM
ya, i've always thought that too...talent means nothing if you can't play with other people and make it sound good. the best band in the world could be filled with mediocre musicians and still sound amazing.

psychic friend
09-25-2007, 08:42 PM
your influences are gross imo

RotationSlimWang
09-25-2007, 08:49 PM
Lots of things about me are gross in your opinion I'm sure. What do you want? I love juxtaposition. There's nothing that gets me off in music more than when it's extremely hard and extremely pretty at the same time. Hence my humungoid Tool boner.

RotationSlimWang
09-26-2007, 02:17 AM
Bump for the morning crowd: first of seven.

Tylerdurden31
09-26-2007, 05:46 AM
I've only ever been forced to listen to them a couple times and couldn't really remember how any of the songs go, but I'm sure he's very technically skilled which doesn't really mean anything to me if you're in a band.

What defines a "good" anything is weird. What is the most impressive actual drumming by itself has little to do with what is the most impressive as part of a song. This is one of the reasons I hate solos--you're supposed to be serving a larger melodic purpose, not just entertaining yourself. Some of the most skilled players in the world, for me, do a disservice to the music by distracting instead of enhancing. That's what I'd guess Dream Theater's drummer is, because that's what the whole band is. Lots of "Look Ma, we're playing!"

Allow me to speak for a large number of drummers when I say "Mike Portnoy is a douchebag." He's technical for the sake of being technical and has no soul. He is a drum machine, but my drum machine has more soul than him.

RotationSlimWang
09-26-2007, 08:50 AM
Allow me to speak for a large number of drummers when I say "Mike Portnoy is a douchebag." He's technical for the sake of being technical and has no soul. He is a drum machine, but my drum machine has more soul than him.

THAT'S his fucking name, yes, exactly. I've actually had this argument on this board before with others who tried to say that Portnoy was one of the best to ever play and it's just so bloody annoying.

Mr.Nipples
09-26-2007, 09:00 AM
tlHzHLGL60c

Mr. Dylanja
09-26-2007, 03:33 PM
Randy whats your role in this band? Vocals?

amyzzz
09-26-2007, 03:58 PM
Lots of things about me are gross in your opinion I'm sure. What do you want? I love juxtaposition. There's nothing that gets me off in music more than when it's extremely hard and extremely pretty at the same time. Hence my humungoid Tool boner.
Tool is too hard for me. tee hee.

rage patton
09-26-2007, 08:50 PM

Actually, John Stanier is a machine. But he has soul and doesnt be technical for the sake of being technical.

RotationSlimWang
09-26-2007, 09:31 PM
Randy whats your role in this band? Vocals?

Yessum.

algunz
09-26-2007, 10:05 PM
I can play flute.

RotationSlimWang
09-26-2007, 10:05 PM
No vaginal instruments.

cansei de ser sexme
09-26-2007, 10:39 PM
OF-95DW2NY0

UJSEaxJalco

bballarl
09-26-2007, 10:46 PM
Our new bass player is 14. He fucking shreds. We call him the Wonderchild.

luckyface
09-26-2007, 11:33 PM
I can play flute.

Regular or skin?

Mr.Nipples
09-26-2007, 11:35 PM
female bass players are very hard to find...

RotationSlimWang
09-29-2007, 05:07 PM
Bump. C'mon, people.

anti-square
09-29-2007, 06:05 PM
I picked up a bass for the first time today and plucked out the seven nation army bass line after 15 minutes of fucking around.

anti-square
09-29-2007, 06:06 PM
do I qualify?

Mr.Nipples
09-29-2007, 07:19 PM
go see alot of local bands, if you see a bass player you think would fit, wait up till after the show, smoke him out a bowl and tell him how youd think hed be a great fit in your band, then go on selling your band as the hottest shit in town even if you suck. thats how i get drummers. you cant be picky, play with lots of people.