PDA

View Full Version : Its raining influential reggae/ska bass players

rage patton
09-25-2007, 11:56 AM
RIP David Fuentes.

Bassist for the Aggrolites and ex-Hepcat bassist. I had an incredibly good time when I saw the Aggrolites at Bumbershoot early this month. Everyone in the band is extremely talented at what they do, but I couldnt help but notice David Fuentes stand out. He was crazy on the bass. He knew how to play it well, he always had a smile on his face and we was jumping around like crazy. It seemed like he really enjoyed playing the bass and the music he was making. Not to mention, he was also the bassist for legendary ska/reggae group Hepcat. As a huge fan of ska, reggae and the Aggrolites and Hepcat... this saddens me greatly.

Here is their message from myspace...

RIP Dave Fuentes

We are all devastated by the loss of our dear friend and bandmate Dave Fuentes. We are extremely honored to have played with Dave during his last days. Dave was a big influence on every one of us for years, and for him to join us onstage and call himself an Aggrolite meant the world to us. No one will ever be able to play bass like Dave, it came so easy to him and his technique is untouchable. Dave will definately go down in history as the greatest ska bass player of our generation. Onstage he was a star and you couldn't take your eyes off of him, but once he came down off the stage, he was a regualr guy just smiling and having a good time. Dave was so friendly that everywhere we went, he was talking to people- whether it was fans at a show, or the employee at a gas station. He was truley an inspiration both musically and in life. We all had a nickname for him - "Wisdom Dave" because he was always full of insight and helpful advice. He set an example as a man, as a friend, a husband and as a father. He never had anything bad to say about anyone. Every night on tour at 8:00, we would be able to spot Dave somewhere in the corner of a venue, or in the dressing room on the phone saying goodnight to his children and his wife. We couldn't drive by a shopping center without Dave stopping to look for gifts for his wife and children. Our hearts go out to his wife and children as well as the rest of his family, and to our brothers in Hepcat. Dave is loved and cherished by so many people... we miss you already Dave. 'Till we meet again "Aggro-Cat." Rest in peace.

TomAz
09-25-2007, 12:02 PM
Hepcat is not an influential ska/reggae band. It is not possible for a white guy from Southern California whose first album came out in the 1990s to have influenced ska or reggae in any way shape or form.

You must have been thinking of Junior Marvin or Desmond Dekker. or Sly and Robbie.

but, sorry the dude's dead, sounds like a nice guy and all.

rage patton
09-25-2007, 12:09 PM
Fine, Im sorry... Hepcat were one of the first reggae/ska bands I got into. Same with alot of other reggae fans I know. So perhaps I phrased it wrong... but they are influential to me and to many other people who dig that form of music.

And just for the record I am also a big fan of Demond Dekker and Sly and Robbie. Havent really listened to Junior Marvin though... I will have to look him up.

And he was a nice guy. I talked to him after the show.

TomAz
09-25-2007, 12:14 PM
fair enough.

you just hit a pet peeve of mine is all, people thinking third wave was first wave.

also check out the Skatalites.

rage patton
09-25-2007, 12:21 PM
fair enough.

you just hit a pet peeve of mine is all, people thinking third wave was first wave.

also check out the Skatalites.

Oh dont worry, I know the Skatalites.

Sorry, I am young'un. It first got to know Third Wave (Reel Big Fish, Hepcat, Choking Victim etc) And most people my age also got into ska/reggae due to bands like that. I actually once met a guy who thought Hepcat came around in the 70s 2Tone era. You probably wouldnt havent wanted to talk to him haha.

After I got fairly comfortable with Third wave I started discovering Second Wave (2Tone) acts (Specials, Madness and [up for debate] The Toasters) and then first wave (Derrick Morgan, Desmond Dekker, Skatelites, etc)

marooko
09-25-2007, 01:02 PM
i was gonna say ska is for pussies, but i didnt think i would be on here enough today to fight it out. i dont think it is, just wanted to ruffle some feathers. sucks the guys dead.