PDA

View Full Version : Dave Matthews Band

garrett222
09-24-2007, 08:24 PM
Do all coachellians hate DMB, or just a bunch? He may not have indie cred, but he's put out some of the best music in the last 10 years imho.

orbit
09-24-2007, 08:28 PM
iyho.

orbit
09-24-2007, 08:32 PM
Actually, I don't hate them that much to choose the first option, but considering the rest, the first one sounds tempting.

garrett222
09-24-2007, 08:34 PM
What's not to love about dave?? His solo album was great, and all the albums except for stand up have been stellar

summerkid
09-24-2007, 08:38 PM
to start the lyrics are fucking awful.

garrett222
09-24-2007, 08:41 PM
do you have any guilty pleasures in music that wouldn't appear on a coachella poster?

Alchemy
09-24-2007, 08:49 PM
Dave Matthews Band is and has been my most favorite band ever, since way before high school and middle school. It's perfect music, in my opinion.

Though, I don't think they'd at all fit at Coachella.

summerkid
09-24-2007, 08:49 PM
do you have any guilty pleasures in music that wouldn't appear on a coachella poster?

i used to like the Wallflowers, have a couple of their cds and there are a ton of bands/artists whom i wouldn't go see in concert or buy their cds but i enjoy a song or two.

garrett222
09-24-2007, 08:51 PM
I'm not wishing they'd be at coachella. I know they fit in more at Bonnaroo or Vegoose...Just thought i'd throw it out there and see how overwhelmingly negative it would be.

DeltaSigChi4
09-24-2007, 08:54 PM
I saw them once. I probably will never again, even if they were at a festival that I was attending. Not that they were bad --- it's just not something I need to see again. Hopefully that is a good explanation.

E

full on idle
09-24-2007, 09:18 PM
I like Under the Table and Dreaming better than Crash.

I mean, when I was 17 I did.

PrettyRagdoll
09-24-2007, 09:34 PM
I really like DMB. I don't know if they'd fit in at Coachella... But I'd definitely see them live

bmack86
09-24-2007, 10:25 PM
I saw them on the Crash Tour when I was 8. It was damn good, when I was 8. I listened to Crash again today, and it was a fantastically nostalgic album. I don't mind Dave Matthews, but I don't wanna hear his new music. It bores me now.

John Peel is My Co-pilot
09-25-2007, 12:37 AM
Where's the "meh" option?

breakjaw
09-25-2007, 07:50 AM
I'm afraid he would dump shit on me

canexplain
09-25-2007, 08:32 AM
ah dave is ok, he does the farm aid thing, and has done the bridge benefit a number of times ... and i like his dancing feet ala' steve martin .... and i have never seen a bad dave show, but i like him ... at coachella he would be a bigger draw then daft punk would have been the year before they blew up ... canx**

hawkingvsreeve
09-25-2007, 08:53 AM
What's not to love about dave?? His solo album was great, and all the albums except for stand up have been stellar

False. False, false, false. His solo record was a heaping, steaming, colossal piece of shit. So bad. So so bad. Stand Up was nothing short of terrible. Everyday was killed by Glen Ballard, and Busted Stuff was a rehashed, watered down version of the Lillywhite Sessions, which were pretty awesome. DMB hasn't put out a solidly good album since Before These Crowded Streets, which happens to be their best, I think.

I am missing them on this tour unfortunately, but I haven't missed them in like 7 years. I still would say that they are my favorite band, but I really don't listen to them much anymore.

JustSteve
09-25-2007, 08:54 AM
the acoustic shows he does with tim reynolds is the only stuff i really like from him.

canexplain
09-25-2007, 09:46 AM
one thing about some of these posts: "I liked them when I was like 17" ... ok taste changes, but i still like a lot of the bands i did when i was 17 ... i wasnt a cretan so i hope i had some taste way back then ... canx**

TomAz
09-25-2007, 10:56 AM
Do all coachellians hate DMB, or just a bunch? He may not have indie cred, but he's put out some of the best music in the last 10 years imho.

Yes, and Chili's is haute cuisine.

bmack86
09-25-2007, 11:59 AM
Under the Table and Dreaming is entertaining for me. This thread has sparked a nostalgia trip which means I'll be listening to a ton more Pavement soon.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-25-2007, 01:34 PM
Where's the "meh" option?

This would be my answer too...

Bud Luster
09-25-2007, 04:03 PM
He and the band are super talented, just not my cup of tea. His voice really gets on my nerves. I get why so many people like DMB though...

AEversW
09-25-2007, 07:29 PM
Before These Crowded Streets is still one of my favorite albums of all time. I was really into them before Stand Up came up. That album really turned me off of them. His solo album and the stuff he does with Tim Reynolds is great. I wouldn't mind seeing Dave Matthews & Friends at Coachella though not the band.

menikmati
09-25-2007, 07:33 PM
I like Two Step, Dreams of Our Fathers, Everyday, and Crash.

hawkingvsreeve
09-25-2007, 11:11 PM
Two Step is great live. When there isn't a 5 minute keyboard solo.

M Sparks
09-25-2007, 11:57 PM
We need a poll answer for "I just don't frickin' get it."

I honestly can't figure out why their music would provoke any sort of passion, positive or negative. It's a bunch of technically excellent musicians performing limp 70's MOR pop. They are too good as musicians to hate and too damn boring to love.

Bosco
09-26-2007, 12:08 AM
superfiction loves dave!

RotationSlimWang
09-26-2007, 12:28 AM
Where's the option for "Why would anyone want to go to a Dave Matthews Show where there's not a parking lot full of hippies to buy acid from and then leave?"

Boourns
09-26-2007, 12:40 AM
Absolutely terrible. Not even worthy of being a guilty pleasure.

bartelby
09-26-2007, 08:55 AM
I like Dave but definitely agree that its all been crap since Before These Crowded Streets (which is #1 of his - I love the Dreaming Tree)

While they've certainly tailed off musically lately I think a big reason they've become 'lame' is because of their fanbase...I went to a show a few years ago and thought I'd walked into an Abercrombie&Fitch convention

canexplain
09-26-2007, 09:48 AM
I like Dave but definitely agree that its all been crap since Before These Crowded Streets (which is #1 of his - I love the Dreaming Tree)

While they've certainly tailed off musically lately I think a big reason they've become 'lame' is because of their fanbase...I went to a show a few years ago and thought I'd walked into an Abercrombie&Fitch convention

ditto, people are always saying the only peeps that like dave are frat boys ... not totally true, but some truth there ... canx**

C DUB YA
09-26-2007, 10:23 AM
Dave mathpews should fucking die.

hawkingvsreeve
09-26-2007, 10:24 AM
You really are just a huge peice of shit aren't you?

bartelby
09-26-2007, 11:01 AM
agreed.....

canexplain
09-26-2007, 02:34 PM
You really are just a huge peice of shit aren't you?

guessing you dont mean me

canx**

Alchemy
09-26-2007, 02:41 PM

canx**

If there is one person on this board that isn't a huge piece of shit, it's you canx**.

But yeah, C DUB YA. That was very G DUB YA B of you to wish death upon Dave. I mean that in the most disappointed way possible. After rumors of my favorite rapper dying, I'll have no death wishes on my favorite frontman.

hawkingvsreeve
09-26-2007, 04:22 PM

canx**

No no Ron. You are at the top of my list of Coachella people to meet. If I can get picture with you in that Buffalo Bill get up you have going on, my 2008 Coachella experience will be complete.

canexplain
09-26-2007, 05:02 PM
tnx dudes, if i dont agree with someone, i will make it known, but usually i just like to see all the information i can get from this board, which its funny, is a lot .... sort of like a blog i guess .. but if i offend anyone, i want to know why, and then deal with it from there ... yikes .... so good to know your friends, and even better to know the others lol .. canx**

bartelby
09-26-2007, 08:19 PM
canx**** i'm so keeping my eye out for you next year.... we were 1000k post bros and we'll be chella 2008 bros!! lol...

canexplain
09-27-2007, 08:52 AM
canx**** i'm so keeping my eye out for you next year.... we were 1000k post bros and we'll be chella 2008 bros!! lol...

for sure, it will be good to meet ya and the others on the board ... canx**

C DUB YA
09-28-2007, 10:26 AM
that was harsh - and in ill taste - my apologies.

xbnmx
09-28-2007, 12:07 PM
Going to see these guys tonight. Wish you could be there Brandon.

canexplain
09-28-2007, 12:53 PM

and i bet you have a damn good time too .... canx**

Sexecutioner
09-28-2007, 01:14 PM

im seeing them too! i was a big dave fan in college, around the time of crash and before these crowded streets, when dave was at his peak, imo. man, going to a dave show back then was the shit. nothin like hearing two step when you are rollin balls. i guess that could be said for any song though, lol.

these days, im not that into him anymore, mostly cuz all the stuff he puts out just doesnt really do it for me like the old stuff. lillywhite was cool though. i saw him like 2 years ago and it was cool, but too much new crap and not enough old. im sure he sitll puts on a good show though. im actually only going tonight cuz my 18 yr old brother is all into him now i guess, so asked me if i wanted to go with him. so im going with him and my little sister, kind of like a little family concert, except with weed and booz. :)

hawkingvsreeve
09-28-2007, 01:22 PM
Yeah, I would go, but I work till 9. Sorry Dave.

J~$$$
09-28-2007, 01:25 PM
im seeing them too! i was a big dave fan in college, around the time of crash and before these crowded streets, when dave was at his peak, imo. man, going to a dave show back then was the shit. nothin like hearing two step when you are rollin balls. i guess that could be said for any song though, lol.

these days, im not that into him anymore, mostly cuz all the stuff he puts out just doesnt really do it for me like the old stuff. lillywhite was cool though. i saw him like 2 years ago and it was cool, but too much new crap and not enough old. im sure he sitll puts on a good show though. im actually only going tonight cuz my 18 yr old brother is all into him now i guess, so asked me if i wanted to go with him. so im going with him and my little sister, kind of like a little family concert, except with weed and booz. :)

That was probably the only reason I went to DMB concerts when I was younger. 95% of the girls were drunk or on ecstasy, but so was I. I swear to god every girl in that place wanted to make out with someone. I owe a lot of my youth to Dave Matthews. It was a show in '95 or '96 at red rocks it was just amazing.

Sexecutioner
09-28-2007, 01:31 PM
That was probably the only reason I went to DMB concerts when I was younger. 95% of the girls were drunk or on ecstasy, but so was I. I swear to god every girl in that place wanted to make out with someone. I owe a lot of my youth to Dave Matthews. It was a show in '95 or '96 at red rocks it was just amazing.

hell yea, i cant tell you how many random hot chicks i made out with while rolling at a dave show. actually, i can, probably about 3.

aaahh, the good ole days...

xbnmx
09-28-2007, 02:14 PM
Dave isn't a good match for rolls in my mind but hey, whatever floats your boat. I'm just going to get my drink on.

J~$$$
09-28-2007, 02:16 PM
I did it because all the cool kids were doin it.

TomAz
09-28-2007, 02:23 PM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20070928/images/matthews.jpg

"uh, whaddya mean, I look like a dick?"

downingthief
09-28-2007, 02:34 PM
My take...

DMB are all extremely talented musicians, but not extremely talented songwriters. There only have been a handful of their songs that I've heard that I can honestly say are great songs. "Crash" is their best overall song, IMO.

That being said, since they are great musicians, their live shows are usually excellent. Although, saw them last year, and I must admit the show was pretty weak. I did not see them this tout, but from what I heard, they killed it.

gaypalmsprings
09-29-2007, 07:20 AM
Oh, shit: Another load of Dave Matthews news

Dave Matthews Band's Big Stink by Josh Grossberg Aug 25, 2004, 10:30 AM PT

... The state of Illinois has filed a lawsuit against the Dave Matthews Band for allegedly dumping up to 800 pounds of liquid human waste from its tour bus into the Chicago River earlier this month.

The suit, filed on Tuesday by Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan, claims that a bus rented by the usually eco-friendly group was traveling cross town to the band's hotel on Aug. 8 when it pulled up alongside a metal grating on the Kinzie Street Bridge. That's when, the suit claims, bus driver Stefan A. Wohl emptied the contents of the vehicle's septic tank into the river.

And that was bad news for Chicago's First Lady, a passing tour boat filled with 100 people on an architecture sightseeing cruise that was doused by the falling excrement.

sydaud
09-29-2007, 08:14 AM
I was not much of a fan of Dave Matthews until I saw him on Charlie Rose years ago:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-888492387036904670

Great interview.

bartelby
09-29-2007, 01:08 PM
fantastic interview...thx sydaud

RotationSlimWang
09-29-2007, 01:09 PM
I got into an argument with some chick the other day about how hard it is to meet people in LA who don't suck and her answer was seriously, "Try Starbucks, or a Dave Matthews concert." and I was like, "THIS IS WHY YOU SUCK!"

hawkingvsreeve
09-29-2007, 01:15 PM
Oh, shit: Another load of Dave Matthews news

Dave Matthews Band's Big Stink by Josh Grossberg Aug 25, 2004, 10:30 AM PT

... The state of Illinois has filed a lawsuit against the Dave Matthews Band for allegedly dumping up to 800 pounds of liquid human waste from its tour bus into the Chicago River earlier this month.

The suit, filed on Tuesday by Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan, claims that a bus rented by the usually eco-friendly group was traveling cross town to the band's hotel on Aug. 8 when it pulled up alongside a metal grating on the Kinzie Street Bridge. That's when, the suit claims, bus driver Stefan A. Wohl emptied the contents of the vehicle's septic tank into the river.

And that was bad news for Chicago's First Lady, a passing tour boat filled with 100 people on an architecture sightseeing cruise that was doused by the falling excrement.

Oh shit, more news. Oh wait. THIS WAS THREE FUCKING YEARS AGO.

hawkingvsreeve
09-29-2007, 02:38 PM
I was not much of a fan of Dave Matthews until I saw him on Charlie Rose years ago:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-888492387036904670

Great interview.

I would like to see an interview now, as none of them feel like Everyday was a successful record, either commercialy or creatively. Carter especially. Thank you for the link though.

Sexecutioner
09-29-2007, 03:06 PM
show was good. too much new stuff, but thats expected. no two step though, damnit! highlights for me were ants marching, crush, and he closed with tripping billies, which was pretty cool.

canexplain
09-30-2007, 10:43 AM
show was good. too much new stuff, but thats expected. no two step though, damnit! highlights for me were ants marching, crush, and he closed with tripping billies, which was pretty cool.

read your other post ... glad you had a good time ... canx**

canexplain
03-24-2009, 07:25 AM
is the board going wacko today ? my post above is a really old post and not today ..... cr****

Leeartlee
03-24-2009, 08:57 AM
Absolutely terrible. Not even worthy of being a guilty pleasure.

What, and FNM is? At least they are contemporary.

hawkingvsreeve
03-24-2009, 09:30 AM
This thread reminded me of Ben. Haven't thought about him in a while.

Alligator Bogaloo
03-24-2009, 09:36 AM

No, he hasn't.

Ardentbiscuit
04-25-2009, 11:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS48wia2tSM&feature=related

unitedwestand
04-26-2009, 11:43 AM
the good song is pretty good

unitedwestand
04-26-2009, 11:43 AM
that song* is pretty good

TomServo
10-27-2013, 01:43 PM
I will never attend a music festival where DMB headlines. The fest could be in my backyard, I'd leave town. Hearing him "sing" makes me want to kill.

zircona1
10-27-2013, 02:32 PM
I like about a dozen DMB songs. I saw them live in '99 and did not enjoy the show - they extended most of their songs and all of the jamming sounded the same. It was boring.

However, I did see Dave and Tim Reynolds at Farm Aid a few years ago and they were surprisingly good.