PDA

View Full Version : what is so great about radiohead?

unknowndrummer66
09-24-2007, 07:54 PM
please

tell me

ive yet to find it

cansei de ser sexme
09-24-2007, 08:17 PM
kill yourself and the answer will come

garrett222
09-24-2007, 08:19 PM
if you listen to the entire OK Computer and don't like Radiohead, it'll never happen

DeltaSigChi4
09-24-2007, 08:45 PM
Take cansei's advice and run with it.

E

unknowndrummer66
09-24-2007, 09:16 PM
if you listen to the entire OK Computer and don't like Radiohead, it'll never happen

hmm i listened to it again

itsweird
i must be the only one that doesnt feel like jumping on thoms cock

cansei de ser sexme
09-24-2007, 09:34 PM
i dont want to jump on his cock. i think you are making a stereotype that all radiohead fans are gay.

ficklecycle
09-24-2007, 09:50 PM
nothing

unknowndrummer66
09-24-2007, 09:57 PM
i dont want to jump on his cock. i think you are making a stereotype that all radiohead fans are gay.

no im not assuming they are gay

its just the majority of their fans cream when ever you mention them

i just wanna know whats so amazing about them

same thing with arcade fire fans

dont get me wrong i like both bands
but i just dont see it

DeltaSigChi4
09-24-2007, 10:02 PM
No one wants you to see it. Kanye West can't see it either. No one cares. More room in the pit, imo.

E

cansei de ser sexme
09-24-2007, 10:05 PM
i would say that it is what their music contains that others lacks that i like about arcade fire and radiohead. it is rare you can find a band with the layers of arcade fire. it is also rare that you can find a band that is always so advanced in its genre for that era. think of when Ok computer was released.1997. what was the other music then? i mean it was fucking no doubt and Madonna singing dont cry for me argentina.

unknowndrummer66
09-24-2007, 10:06 PM
No one wants you to see it. Kanye West can't see it either. No one cares. More room in the pit, imo.

E

mmm true

less and less indie kids to deal with

ficklecycle
09-24-2007, 10:21 PM
mmm true

less and less indie kids to deal with

Get original.

fober
09-24-2007, 11:00 PM
I'm thinking it's a lot less about you "getting it" and a lot more about you being able to say "I don't get Radiohead", because folks, outside of the mainstream, it's hard to stand out amongst fans.

lowfront
09-25-2007, 12:42 AM
HDS4wOd_o1I

This is what I always show my friends that "don't get it"

alllallllallllallllalll
09-25-2007, 12:56 AM
awesome, reminds me of frC0v-J3fPU

Boourns
09-25-2007, 03:38 AM
Accept the fact that you'll never develop taste and move onto the Juggalo Gathering.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-25-2007, 02:16 PM
Accept the fact that you'll never develop taste and move onto the Juggalo Gathering.

HA!

menikmati
09-25-2007, 07:53 PM
go practice your Deep Purple beats

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-27-2007, 07:33 AM
HDS4wOd_o1I

This is what I always show my friends that "don't get it"

there you go....

Amneeziac
09-29-2007, 01:23 PM
What is so great about you, huh? Yeah, that's what I thought.

cansei de ser sexme
09-30-2007, 02:43 PM
the "yeah, thats what i thought" comes after he hasnt posted an answer for like a day or two, not in the same message

DeltaSigChi4
09-30-2007, 08:35 PM
Yeah, that's what I thought.

E

Amneeziac
09-30-2007, 09:15 PM
the "yeah, thats what i thought" comes after he hasnt posted an answer for like a day or two, not in the same message

Eh, go to hell. Mwah.

rage patton
09-30-2007, 09:36 PM
That Fake Plastic Trees video is amazing. When everything went electric... I got goosebumps. Wow. I REALLY want to see Radiohead after watching that video.
OK Computer is pretty much amazing. Sure, they are pretty pretentious and shit... but goddamn do they ever make good music!

gaypalmsprings
09-30-2007, 09:42 PM
OV3Aowcqy2E

brando4n82
10-01-2007, 12:36 PM
please

tell me

ive yet to find it

wtf, you are the same chump asking what is so good about TOOL. I think you are here to push this boards buttons

cansei de ser sexme
10-08-2007, 05:53 PM
OV3Aowcqy2E

for a second there i almost thought you had a serious post...

trivium1
10-12-2007, 02:59 PM
I think it's a synthetic moral support complex that attracts me to that sound. There's something about it... I can't quite explain. I feel the same way about 'Love and Rockets'.

suprefan
10-12-2007, 03:17 PM
please

tell me

ive yet to find it

They are not Tool, so what makes Tool so great? ANSWER

sound
10-12-2007, 06:22 PM
please

tell me

ive yet to find it

You're obviously not looking hard enough.

radiohead727
10-22-2007, 07:39 PM
um yeah unknown ****** you should probably commit suicide

they are one of the most influential, genre defining, original, and arguably the BEST band in the world, right now

and not to give rolling stone much credit, but they listed radiohead #2 in best band playing live right now (behind the white stripes)

drugks Gillespie
10-23-2007, 01:04 AM
****** is such a harsh sounding word. Unknown Douchebag. Or retarded fuck-stick I think are better.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-23-2007, 06:35 AM
I like retarded fuck stick....

mandelbaum
10-23-2007, 02:45 PM
please

tell me

ive yet to find it

I have been wondering this for many years as well. Radiohead is a good band, but they were better back in the 90s. For me, Pablo Honey, The Bends and OK Computer were all vastly superior to everything that has been released since then.

The only thing that bothers me about Radiohead are the fans. First off, if you don't like Radiohead (or even don't proclaim your undying love for Radiohead), they always go nuts and just start calling you an idiot (similar to this thread). My other problem is that I can't help but think Radiohead fans just accept whatever the band puts out as pure greatness without question. I was on another message board once and people were discussing In Rainbows. Of course, all the fanboys and fangirls proclaimed it the best album of the year, but then numerous people also made the statement "they could put out complete shit and I'd still like it" (or something similar). That is exactly what bothers me about Radiohead fans. They annoint every album as one of the greatest of all time no matter how bad (or boring) it is. The two albums after Kid A were certainly not GREAT albums (I found them to be awful personally, but I'm sure there are plenty of people that enjoy them). But yet, everyone just automatically proclaims these albums to be great just because it is Radiohead. This is impossible to implement, but I would love to see these fans listen to In Rainbows without knowing it is Radiohead and get their unbiased opinions.

With all that said though, Radiohead is still one of the best options for headlining a night at Coachella next year. I would probably check them out for a little while (haven't seen them since 1998), but honestly, I enjoy remembering my last live Radiohead experience as one where I was actually into the music they were putting out (and when the venues were more intimate).

betao
10-23-2007, 07:12 PM
I have been wondering this for many years as well. Radiohead is a good band, but they were better back in the 90s. For me, Pablo Honey, The Bends and OK Computer were all vastly superior to everything that has been released since then.

The only thing that bothers me about Radiohead are the fans. First off, if you don't like Radiohead (or even don't proclaim your undying love for Radiohead), they always go nuts and just start calling you an idiot (similar to this thread). My other problem is that I can't help but think Radiohead fans just accept whatever the band puts out as pure greatness without question. I was on another message board once and people were discussing In Rainbows. Of course, all the fanboys and fangirls proclaimed it the best album of the year, but then numerous people also made the statement "they could put out complete shit and I'd still like it" (or something similar). That is exactly what bothers me about Radiohead fans. They annoint every album as one of the greatest of all time no matter how bad (or boring) it is. The two albums after Kid A were certainly not GREAT albums (I found them to be awful personally, but I'm sure there are plenty of people that enjoy them). But yet, everyone just automatically proclaims these albums to be great just because it is Radiohead. This is impossible to implement, but I would love to see these fans listen to In Rainbows without knowing it is Radiohead and get their unbiased opinions.

With all that said though, Radiohead is still one of the best options for headlining a night at Coachella next year. I would probably check them out for a little while (haven't seen them since 1998), but honestly, I enjoy remembering my last live Radiohead experience as one where I was actually into the music they were putting out (and when the venues were more intimate).

understandable about the fans, though not every one of them will proclaim that anything radiohead does is genius.

I myself am a huge Radiohead fan, and although I do think that some of their albums are masterpieces, not all of them are. For instance, HTTT is good. Not great, just good. There are a few gems on it (There There, 2+2=5, Sit Down Stand Up just to name a few), and the rest is meh ok. Nothing to get crazy over. Same with Pablo Honey, and a few songs from The Bends or Amnesiac.

As for the new album, I thought In Rainbows was good the first time listening, but it grew on me. I now love it, and one thing it goes to show is that after nearly 15 years of making music (after 6 albums), they can still put out something original. That alone is very impressive, and is one reason why the band receives the praise it does. In some cases, it is deserved.

I obviously don't really care if you don't like Radiohead. That's fine, its simple matter of opinion. But just leave it at that - dont try to say they suck, because even if you don't like them, you should respect them for their contributions to music. They have influenced many bands that are gaining success today. For instance, I don't really care for bands like RHCP or Nirvana, but I hold great respect for them because of what they do (or did, in Nirvana's case). They are pioneers in their own way.

To close this rant, I will apologize on behalf of the good (not elitist) Radiohead fans for some of the wankers of fans that get elitist and don't accept anyone else who doesnt worship their beloved band.

mandelbaum
10-23-2007, 08:43 PM
Well said betao. Just for the record, I said that Radiohead was a good band and I do have a lot of respect for their work. By no means did I try to imply they suck.

betao
10-23-2007, 09:46 PM
yeah I know, that last paragraph was directed more towards people who think like that. I think that kind of opinion can come from the vibe that you get from elitist fans though. If the fans are really annoying, it will eventually put a dent in the interest of that band :(

PassiveTheory
10-23-2007, 11:42 PM
yeah I know, that last paragraph was directed more towards people who think like that. I think that kind of opinion can come from the vibe that you get from elitist fans though. If the fans are really annoying, it will eventually put a dent in the interest of that band :(

Quoted for truth.

PassiveTheory
10-24-2007, 07:50 AM
Bump over the stupid shoe selling spammer.

RotationSlimWang
10-24-2007, 08:15 AM
Some people think The Beatles suck too. We just call both these kinds of people "dumb bags of shit."

PassiveTheory
10-24-2007, 08:54 AM
There are people that think the Beatles suck?... O.o

RotationSlimWang
10-24-2007, 08:59 AM
Yeah dude. I've met more than I'm comfortable with knowing are alive.

You're not the first dude to decide to hate the best musicians of his era just because everybody lauded the shit out of them, you know. =)

crazzz2007
10-24-2007, 01:20 PM
and not to give rolling stone much credit, but they listed radiohead #2 in best band playing live right now (behind the white stripes)

ummmmm, this is the worst possible argument you can make for why radiohead is a great band.

PassiveTheory
10-24-2007, 07:54 PM
Yeah dude. I've met more than I'm comfortable with knowing are alive.

You're not the first dude to decide to hate the best musicians of his era just because everybody lauded the shit out of them, you know. =)

Again, I don't hate Radiohead. I just don't think they're as good as people claim them to be. I definitely hate a lot of Radiohead's fans, though, I'll openly admit that.

ThomThom
10-24-2007, 09:41 PM
I can always count on you Passive...XOXO

PassiveTheory
10-24-2007, 11:57 PM
Aren't you the guy who called the Foo Fighters the Poo Fighters?...

ThomThom
10-25-2007, 09:40 AM
Aren't you the guy who called the Foo Fighters the Poo Fighters?...

Yeah that would be me...It has a nice ring to it doesn't it?

PassiveTheory
10-25-2007, 10:09 AM
If this was occurring back in the 5th grade, possibly.

i_like_cake530
10-25-2007, 10:33 AM

Pablo Honey, really? id easily call that their worst album. The Bends is alright, but Kid A and Amnesiac are far superior IMO.

ThomThom
10-25-2007, 11:31 AM
If this was occurring back in the 5th grade, possibly.

The Poo Fighters seems applicable since they have sucked Poo for several years now. I think your just jealous that you didn't come up with it.

PS - I know you are but what am I?

DeltaSigChi4
10-25-2007, 11:35 AM
Who are the Beatles?

E

ThomThom
10-25-2007, 12:43 PM
Who are the Beatles?

E

I don't know but I can bet money that Passive Theory thinks Maroon 5 is better than them.

i_like_cake530
10-25-2007, 12:57 PM
ThomThom, I like you, I'm keeping you around.

ThomThom
10-25-2007, 01:17 PM
ThomThom, I like you, I'm keeping you around.

Your a swell guy...XOXO's for you buddy.

boyalien0
10-25-2007, 01:35 PM
hooray for attempting to objectively explain something that is purely subjective.

PassiveTheory
10-25-2007, 02:08 PM
I don't know but I can bet money that Passive Theory thinks Maroon 5 is better than them.

Your material's as old as Delta's bit about not knowing about any other band than Arcade Fire.

ThomThom
10-25-2007, 02:13 PM
Passive, what is your all time favorite Maroon 5 song like EVER?

PS - Your avatar makes me want to club baby seals

PassiveTheory
10-25-2007, 05:46 PM
Better question; why do almost all of your posts as of late fixate on me? What's your fucking deal?

jenga66
10-25-2007, 09:36 PM
Radiohead fans killed the band for me more than the actual music itself did. I remember being in jr. high, hearing "The Bends" and enjoying it until all of this elitist bullshit began. Aditionally, I find it very annoying that people want to hear Radiohead at Coachella every fucking year.

RotationSlimWang
10-25-2007, 09:52 PM
People want to hear lots of bands at Coachella every year. They're called devotees.

WHO GIVES A FUCK?

PassiveTheory
10-25-2007, 11:22 PM
The people that are just worn out by the ridiculous number of requests for Radiohead to headline?

I mean, if it were any other group that's played Coachella before, I'd wager that half of the board would be up in arms about having "another repeat headliner" and "wanting more originality"...

Right.

There's just a difference between Radiohead devotees and most other devotees, and you can only take so much before enough's enough.

Besides, in my mind, I'm cool with Radiohead headlining, provided GV give us some actual alternatives to Thom Yorke and co. as opposed to 2004's alternatives. And no, ThomThom, not Maroon 5, sorry for stealing your one and only punchline away from you. Well, no, not at all.