PDA

View Full Version : In Depth Review of Les Savy Fav

bmack86
09-23-2007, 11:25 PM
I saw Les Savy Fav at the Bowery Ballroom in New York last night, and it was fantastic.

The Bowery Ballroom doesn't quite have a comparison in LA. The floorspace is about 1/2 to 2/3 that of the El Rey's main pit, and there's a balcony above. The sound quality is excellent, and i really liked the set up. Good venue, and some nice people there as well.

S Process opened the show. They apparently were really active a while back, but just reformed. They reminded me of a badass mix between Fugazi, Shellac and The Ex. They were noisy and very precise in their playing. They also had an intense stage presence. I could tell the night was going to go well when they played.

After them was Parts and Labor. I'd not heard them before, but recognized the name. They had a core 3 piece band, consisting of alternating synths while one guy would play either bass or guitar. Two singers, both really good. For this show, they also brought a three piece horn section which added to the sound. They started playing, and my first thought was, "Damn, these guys sound like the best of Husker Du, but noisier and much more intense." The whole set was absolutely astounding. I fell in love with these guys in a big way, and will most definitely be seeing them.

Between sets, I went down to the bathroom and ran into a guy from UCLA. Odd.

Les Savy Fav started up with a new song. Before they even began, Tim told a story about Carol Channing taking a shit, poured whiskey on the first row and ripped off his shirt. Other antics include him tossing his mic onto the balcony, climbing up there and then hanging from the rails while singing, getting the whole crowd to lay on the ground, ripping up his dress and generally singing like a man possessed. They were really entertaining, and I'm so glad I finally got to see them play.

rage patton
09-24-2007, 06:48 AM
Who are these guys? They sound awesome! I will have to check them out when I get time...

bmack86
09-24-2007, 10:41 AM
Some Pictures Pitchforkys took (http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/45830-photos-les-savy-fav-new-york-ny-092207)

dorkfish
09-24-2007, 10:50 AM
when's the last time they played California?

mountmccabe
09-24-2007, 11:09 AM
I considered going to Vegas sometime in 2005 to see them but did not go. I can't recall any other Western dates over the last 4 or so years.

bmack86
09-24-2007, 11:18 AM
when's the last time they played California?

They opened for The Hold Steady at the Avalon I believe. It was some sort of show like that in 2005. I immediately regretted not going, even though it was my mom's birthday, if I recall.

Yablonowitz
09-24-2007, 11:57 AM
They opened for The Hold Steady at the Avalon I believe. It was some sort of show like that in 2005. I immediately regretted not going, even though it was my mom's birthday, if I recall.

I'd never heard of them until recently and it seems as though they are being considered as a seminal band. I grabbed their new album on e-music - it rocks. Some pretty potent shit.

bmack86
09-24-2007, 12:04 PM
here's Parts and Labor's 2006 album. Normally I wouldn't link an album, but, dammit, I want people to hear this.

Stay Afraid (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=BDC345CE1ECE25E8)

dorkfish
09-24-2007, 12:09 PM
my favorite LSF song is "Bass Song." It's so incredibly badass.

mountmccabe
09-24-2007, 01:07 PM
I'd never heard of them until recently and it seems as though they are being considered as a seminal band. I grabbed their new album on e-music - it rocks. Some pretty potent shit.

Their last album proper was 2001's Go Forth. Also notable of late is Inches from 2004 which is a compilation of seven 7" singles that've been released on 7 different labels over the 7 years of their existance. The last three of these singles are all post-Go Forth and are awesome.

And yeah, their new album is fantastic.

And yeah, they've always been awesome.

mountmccabe
09-24-2007, 01:09 PM
Also remember when I was drunk/depresed/whatever and posted lyrics from Go Forth on near everybody's MySpace? That was awesome.