PDA

View Full Version : Porcupine Tree

RotationSlimWang
09-22-2007, 01:49 PM
Band that just got brought to my attention recently, although you musicophiles may have known about them for years, but they're really impressive. Hints of Floyd with occasions of hardness that shake your bones. Should be at Coachella 08.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=61819211

Down Rodeo
09-22-2007, 02:19 PM
Absolutely agreed. This band rocks exceptionally well, especially on their album, In Absentia. I would have loved to see them at this year's Coachella. I'll be very pleased if they're added to next year's lineup.

RotationSlimWang
09-22-2007, 02:26 PM
They start their first ever live shows in October. Please pass this along, Dani--I swear to God they are really, really genuinely amazing, and fit rather perfectly with the Coachella aesthetic I think. I'm not sure how good the songs on their myspace are, but My Ashes and Anesthetize off of their newest album Fear Of A Blank Planet should be convincing to most of y'all.

vinylmartyr
09-22-2007, 03:14 PM
I have seen live bootlegs from years ago by that band on dime.

RotationSlimWang
09-22-2007, 03:20 PM
Oh, sorry, I misinterpreted this line on wiki: In recent news the band has announced that Porcupine Tree will play their first-ever show in Mexico on October 6, 2007.[2]

first-ever show in Mexico. Well don't I feel sheepish.

RotationSlimWang
09-24-2007, 09:28 AM
Bump because I'm loving this album. Hit up that myspace and just start listening to the Fear Of A Blank Planet selection. Apparently it's the whole album. First song's banging right now.

John Peel is My Co-pilot
09-24-2007, 12:37 PM
A couple of us have been pimpin' the Tree on here for a while now. The new album is up there in terms of best albums of 2007, but it's not even their best IMO. As Rodeo mentioned, In Absentia is excellent, but my favorite is Deadwing, if for no other reason than the near 13 minute opus that is Arriving Somewhere, But Not Here.

For more mellow Tree, check out the Stupid Dream album.

Oh, and live they are as tight as a crab's arse at 20 fathoms...

Down Rodeo
09-24-2007, 06:07 PM
Really, you like Deadwing the best? I thought that album was a little weak compared to In Absentia. It has some good tracks like the title track, "Shallow", and the aforementioned "Arriving Somewhere, But Not Here"; however, I feel like much of the album is kind of boring.

I will agree with you on Fear of a Blank Planet, though. It is fantastic, especially the insanely long "Anesthetize." I would love to see them live; I'm still pissed at myself for missing their SF show a few months ago.