PDA

View Full Version : Primal Scream Live DVD

bballarl
09-17-2007, 09:41 PM
Brits, does this exist?

"The Riot City Blues Tour - LIVE DVD

The Primals first live DVD is due for release on 6th August. Includes 2 hours of live footage recorded at Hammersmith Odeon last November. Also features 12 promo videos, plus interviews with Mani and Bobby"

If so, and if you have seen it, how is it?

Hello, awesome setlist:

Accelerator

Dolls

Jailbird

Shoot Speed/Kill Light

Suicide Sally

Burning Wheel

When The Bomb Drops

Hole In My Heart

Medication

Rise

Swastika Eyes

Country Girls

Rocks

Damaged

Loaded

Movin' On Up

Kick Out The Jams

bballarl
09-17-2007, 09:48 PM
Out in the US on October 9th. Booyah.

Still, if anyone has seen it...how is it?

shakermaker113
09-17-2007, 10:06 PM
at least it's not one of the shows where they started playing songs twice. "we've run out of material so we're going to play some songs again" was their excuse. from a band with how many albums? please.

I hope this footage is better than the material bundled with the evil heat album. oh hello 12 promos. some of their videos are cool, I recall. I was downloading them all at some point in college.

shakermaker113
10-17-2007, 10:57 PM
I picked up this dvd today.

I was a little discouraged to see the extremely low production the packaging -- very cheap, poor cover art, no inlay at all! it could have been a bootleg I had bought off the street.

in the end that really didn't matter though. watching the dvd I was pleasantly surprised -- the show they filmed was a great performance, and had a pretty darn good set list. it started off a bit iffy, but it just kept getting better as it went along. I was reminded that, although this group can be a trainwreck at times, they have produced some great music over the years. I remembered why I first got into these guys back in college (which was fairly late in the game, not that it matters).

I thoroughly enjoyed watching, and started wishing they'd come back to the US, even though their performance at coachella 2003 was awful. this showed they are capable of putting on a show that does their records justice. the live renditions were a little different in many cases, but a good different.

the video collection is also awesome -- 13 promo videos from over the years, covering a lot of the songs that weren't performed in the live part of the dvd, and capturing some of their better videos. I haven't watched the interview yet, so I can't comment on that.

there are parts where the cameramen zoom in and out erratically, to no good effect, while the director decided to simultaneously change between camera angles like he has ADD. this can be a little sickening at times, but is worth enduring.

it loses points for not including a live version of kill all hippies, and not including higher than the sun in any form. it also loses points since some of the promo videos are sandwiched between a 'primal scream' text on the left & right sides rather than using the entire screen. but then it regains some points for reminding me that I really liked these guys. :-)

I'm satisfied with my purchase. (a little over $17 from virgin after taxes...) I'd recommend it. B+.

orbit
10-17-2007, 11:17 PM
Sweet, I'll buy it this weekend.

buymarshon
10-17-2007, 11:27 PM
I wish theyd play Coachella..i prefer Evil Heat and XTRMNTR to all their other stuff..nothing beats MISS LUCIFER for me.

shakermaker113
10-18-2007, 09:30 AM
OH I almost forgot to mention... the director should be shot because there are long parts of the live show where the cameras zoom in and out erratically while it changes camera angle like the guy has ADD. but it's bearable, and it doesn't happen throughout the entire thing.

I'll edit my review above to add a comment about this now.