PDA

View Full Version : In which we discuss LA area record stores that are not Amoeba.

ewiggy
09-17-2007, 03:08 PM
there has got to be alternatives. googling just brings up a ton of places that may or may not be closed and may or may not suck.

LA area or OC area is cool. but most of you are not in OC area. anyway, i rarely find anything great at Amoeba. it's generally the place i go if i want a used copy of a CD that no one else would ever want. like Our Lady Peace or something. i said it.

i understand you probably don't want to give me your platinum pick, but maybe your gold or silver would work. i'll have to stumble into the other ones.

bballarl
09-17-2007, 03:10 PM
Fingerprints in Long Beach is cool, plus they have in-stores. Chris and Keriann and I saw Silversun Pickups do an acoustic thing there last year.

marooko
09-17-2007, 03:55 PM
but most of you are not in OC area.

hmm

RotationSlimWang
09-17-2007, 03:57 PM
there has got to be alternatives. googling just brings up a ton of places that may or may not be closed and may or may not suck.

LA area or OC area is cool. but most of you are not in OC area. anyway, i rarely find anything great at Amoeba. it's generally the place i go if i want a used copy of a CD that no one else would ever want. like Our Lady Peace or something. i said it.

i understand you probably don't want to give me your platinum pick, but maybe your gold or silver would work. i'll have to stumble into the other ones.

Our Lady Peace? Seriously? Why the fuck would anyone feel the need to be sure they actually buy an Our Lady Peace album so that those Canadian assholes get their 25 cents from the sale, further perpetuating that Dane Cook-lookalike cocksucker's vocal crimes against humanity? Is this 1999 or something? What the fuck is your malfunction, Wiggums?

ewiggy
09-17-2007, 04:07 PM
i am so glad you only exist on the internet.

suprefan
09-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Greene Records in Santa Ana is pretty cool. Its very small but they have a good punk/indie/alternative and vinyl selection so check that place out. And you cant deal with going to virgin Megastore? Also, grab the OC Weekly there is bound to be record store ads in there for local places.

Mr.Nipples
09-17-2007, 04:18 PM
Our Lady Peace? Seriously? Why the fuck would anyone feel the need to be sure they actually buy an Our Lady Peace album so that those Canadian assholes get their 25 cents from the sale, further perpetuating that Dane Cook-lookalike cocksucker's vocal crimes against humanity? Is this 1999 or something? What the fuck is your malfunction, Wiggums?

the "resident prick" act is getting old...

gaypalmsprings
09-17-2007, 04:19 PM
is this thread official?

ewiggy
09-17-2007, 04:24 PM
And you cant deal with going to virgin Megastore?

why would i want to go there?

Also, grab the OC Weekly there is bound to be record store ads in there for local places.

i am currently boycotting the OC Weekly for personal reasons.

suprefan
09-17-2007, 04:25 PM
Because you could find stuff there. And boo hoo you are s.o.l. then not reading the weekly then. And go to the place I said, its better than NOTHING.

psychic friend
09-17-2007, 04:40 PM
is poobahs still around?

gaypalmsprings
09-17-2007, 04:42 PM
is poobahs still around?

http://marketing.corante.com/img/poobahrecords.GIF

http://www.poobah.com/

tessalasset
09-17-2007, 04:43 PM
i personally like second spin in santa monica. you wont always find amazing albums there, but every once in a while if i spend a long time in there i strike gold.

bballarl
09-17-2007, 04:43 PM
Oh, and Record Surplus in Santa Monica is most excellent.

psychic friend
09-17-2007, 04:45 PM
ya poobahs!

ewiggy
09-17-2007, 04:49 PM
thanks dudes. i will be going to all of these places.

bballarl
09-17-2007, 04:51 PM
Don't bankrupt yourself. I try to limit myself to one record store trip per few months because otherwise my spending gets out of hand. And in the places I have been, it is hard to show restraint.

Be strong.

ewiggy
09-17-2007, 05:05 PM
yeah for real. i won't even be going anywhere for like a few months. this place makes a poor person out of everyone. there is too much awesome that is not free.

DylanJohnston
09-17-2007, 05:20 PM
i am so glad you only exist on the internet.

Hahaha

instinct
09-17-2007, 06:15 PM
I'm in OC.. For actual RECORDS.. the best/closest place to me is Music Revolution in Fullerton.

Boourns
09-17-2007, 08:01 PM
Aron's in Hollywood is awesome. Oh wait...nevermind. But if you're ever in Westwood, check out Rhino or Penny Lane. Oh wait...nevermind.

I know people still talk shit about about Pugz (an oddly renamed Tower Records), but I can't. I got some cheap goodies there before they closed.

fatbastard
09-17-2007, 08:12 PM
is poobahs still around?

Yep. I just passed by it right now. Not sure how long it's been since you were last there. They are now on Colorado Blvd as opposed to Walnut.

keriann
09-17-2007, 10:58 PM
there is too much awesome that is not free.
hahaha this is so true.

Also, what Andrew said about Fingerprints. They have awesome in-stores. I just check their website often to find out about them - fingerprintsmusic.com. The guy who owns/runs it rules. I always wonder how he gets such big bands to play that tiny/random little place.

I have no other words of wisdom because that's the only place I've been to so far.

JorgeC
09-18-2007, 07:12 AM
Rhino Records in Claremont...not LA or OC...in the IE.

JustSteve
09-18-2007, 08:20 AM
huntington beach had/has one called vinyl solution, mainly punk rock kinda stuff. another one up the street from me in newport is/was noise, noise, noise in costa mesa. been awhile since i've been into those so not sure if they are still around.

vinylmartyr
09-18-2007, 10:12 AM
bagatelle

ewiggy
09-18-2007, 10:23 AM
what kind of stuff does noise, noise, noise have? i am primarily interested in used CDs and used/new vinyl.

tessalasset
09-18-2007, 12:34 PM
The Ataris had a record store in Santa Barbara called Down on Haley - is that still around anymore?

AMultitudeOfCasualities
09-18-2007, 03:03 PM
I dont think noise noise noise is around anymore. Also Music Revelution is mainly a head shop, they have some records but unless you are looking for hip hop or drum n bass I wouldnt go there. Bionic in Fullerton is alright, they have a pretty decent Vinyl section and the people are cool and will order pretty much anything you can think of thats still in print.