PDA

View Full Version : Foomoiey, join me in praising Pavement

bmack86
09-15-2007, 10:43 PM
Best band of the nineties. The only band better than Nirvana, in my opinion, but Malk was a better songwriter, and he's still chuggin along, writing great tracks. Spiral stairs ain't bad either.

rage patton
09-15-2007, 10:45 PM
I went to go find some Pavements CDs the other day actually. I didnt find any just plain CDs. However, I did find a bunch of special edition sets and box sets such such. The cheapest one was $30.
I didnt buy any.

sonofhal
09-15-2007, 11:27 PM
The special editions have only recently been released, with tons of extra tracks. Well worth the investment.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-15-2007, 11:52 PM
I liked Pavement but not as much as most people...maybe I should listen to more Slanted and Enchanted again....

bmack86
09-16-2007, 12:33 AM
I liked Pavement but not as much as most people...maybe I should listen to more Slanted and Enchanted again....

You do it and you like it!

breakjaw
09-16-2007, 01:32 AM
I had the misfortune to be stuck outside the club when Pavement first played London (when Gary Young was the drummer) because of the lame fuckin' touts charging too much,and the good fortune to see them years later at a small club here in Phoenix.
Slanted And Enchanted (on vinyl) is sometimes the only thing I can stand to listen to.
Sorta like my weird Sinatra moods...

mountmccabe
09-16-2007, 09:58 AM
I went to go find some Pavements CDs the other day actually. I didnt find any just plain CDs. However, I did find a bunch of special edition sets and box sets such such. The cheapest one was $30.
I didnt buy any.

The first several records have been released as special editions. The extra investment probably doesn't make sense if you don't already know the band but then again you could buy the double-CD thing and start with just the original version of the album for listening and then move on when you feel comfortable.

Or you can look in brick and mortar/online used shops because the original single-CD versions are relatively plentiful now from folks selling them off to buy the double-CD version.

noisemachine
09-17-2007, 06:58 AM
I didnt buy any.

What store is selling them for $30? I got all the reissues for $15 or less each new. Definitely buy the special editions for the first 3 albums. They are so worth it. They pack in lots of good b-sides and live stuff. Definitely one of my all time favorite bands.

Yablonowitz
09-17-2007, 08:00 AM
"In the end, though music can be brilliant at times, the whole medium comes off as derivative of Pavement."

Tylerdurden31
09-17-2007, 09:42 AM
while I like Pavement and I do understand what they did for the underground music scene...I find them to be a bit overrated

*duck*

bmack86
09-17-2007, 11:28 AM
You do need to duck.

shoegazer76
09-17-2007, 11:46 AM
My favorite Pavement recording I ever bought was this bootleg looking tape called Stuffing up the Cracks that had this song called Haunt you Down on it. That recording in my opinion rivaled Crooked Rain Crooked Rain, & Wowee Zowee. Its very silimiar to Slanted & Enchanted. I lost the tape (probly to a music thief) & would love to find another copy. Does anybody know anything about this recording?

shoegazer76
09-17-2007, 11:51 AM
Wowee Zowee is the best album of all time to listen while indulging in Nitrous Oxide.

bmack86
09-17-2007, 11:57 AM
Stuff Up the Cracks is an imported recording that collects B-Sides, Peel Sessions and unreleased tracks from around Slanted and Enchanted era. It's badass. I can try to yousendit, but i'm not sure how good my internet connection is here.

shoegazer76
09-17-2007, 12:03 PM
Stuff Up the Cracks is an imported recording that collects B-Sides, Peel Sessions and unreleased tracks from around Slanted and Enchanted era. It's badass. I can try to yousendit, but i'm not sure how good my internet connection is here.

Thanks for the info greatly appreciated. I've been looking for this recroding with no success. I'm in the middle of changing internet providers at the moment, when I get that situated I would greatly appreciate you attempting to send it. I'll PM you when I get everything in order. I can't tell you how greatly appreciative I would be. You're absoulutely right too that recording is badass & might be better than any full length they put out.

bmack86
09-17-2007, 12:15 PM
yeah, just hit me up and i'll get it to ya.

full on idle
09-17-2007, 12:18 PM
All praises, all praises.

breakjaw
09-17-2007, 12:28 PM
That's funny I almost just put Haunt You Down on the mix I just made and will upload to the Depository shortly.I got it from the Captain's Dead website:
Stuff Up The Cracks Pt.1 (http://www.captainsdead.com/2006/09/06/stuff-up-the-cracks-1-o-2/)
Stuff Up The Cracks Pt.2 (http://www.captainsdead.com/?p=571)

bmack86
09-17-2007, 12:30 PM
Well played Breakjaw, well played

breakjaw
09-17-2007, 12:32 PM
Nice job on your rundown in the Young'uns thread.I had my mix all finished,and am just now uploading it.You summed it all up very well.

bmack86
09-17-2007, 12:35 PM
I rushed it a bit because I thought I had to work this morning. It turns out I don't work til 4. Oops.