PDA

View Full Version : The "omg what was that song?" thread

DaOneManWonda
09-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Im sure its happened to everyone at least once...you hear a song on the radio or tv or whatever, but you miss the artist or the song title. this thread is for people to help each other figure out the songs...

i just head a song and i think its called "when did your heart go missing"...im not sure who the artist is, but it sounded exactly like the Hot Hot Heat. does anyone know what i'm talking about?

menikmati
09-15-2007, 01:25 PM
this is why there is google, and if you asked it, it would tell you it's by Rooney.

bballarl
09-15-2007, 01:33 PM
I heard this song the other day that sounded like a group of men dressed in costumes. The chorus was something like "Y, M, C, A. It's fun to stay at the Y.M.C.A yeah". Anyone know what this tune was?

PineapplePete
09-15-2007, 01:39 PM
I heard this song the other day that sounded like a group of men dressed in costumes. The chorus was something like "Y, M, C, A. It's fun to stay at the Y.M.C.A yeah". Anyone know what this tune was?

its by BOC...its on their demo.

i_like_cake530
09-15-2007, 01:50 PM
I can't tell if Pete is being sarcastic or not...

Somewhat Damaged
09-16-2007, 01:53 AM
How about that song that goes across different centuries -- I think it came out in the 70s -- and the only verse I remember goes, "In the year, 2525..."? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

breakjaw
09-16-2007, 02:09 AM
From Wiki:

Zager and Evans were a Lincoln, Nebraska rock-pop duo of the late 1960s and early 1970s named after its two members, Denny Zager and Rick Evans, who met at Nebraska Wesleyan University. Artists Dave Trupp and Mark Dalton backed up the duo.

Zager and Evans are best known for their immensely popular "In the Year 2525", written by Rick Evans. The song warned of the dangers of technology, portraying a future in which the human race would at length be destroyed by its own technological and medical innovations and Divine wrath. The last stanza of the song intimates a continuing cycle of birth, death and rebirth of mankind.

"In the Year 2525" hit number one on the pop charts in 1969. It claimed the #1 spot for six weeks, a remarkable achievement. It also topped the charts in the UK. Coincidentally, it was number one on July 20, 1969 in the USA, the date of the first manned moon landing by astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin. It was nominated for a special Hugo Award that same year.
I'd post it but I fuckin' hate that song.

tessalasset
09-16-2007, 02:11 AM
you know whats rad, is my phone does this for me. i sit listening to the radio in the car and have my phone listen to the song for 10 seconds and it tells me what it is. it got every song. even totally obscure eastern european dj shit on kcrw. i love it.

Somewhat Damaged
09-16-2007, 02:31 AM
From Wiki:

I'd post it but I fuckin' hate that song.

Thanks! And I haven't heard the song in probably over a decade, so I don't know what I'd think of it now. Probably better to just let that reside in my memory.

Benis23
09-17-2007, 08:40 PM
I heard this song a little while ago that I really liked. I thought it sounded like Rammstein at the time, and it had a chorus with the words "here comes the thunder." But I googled it and couldnt find anything. That sound familiar to anyone?

Alchemy
09-17-2007, 08:46 PM
you know whats rad, is my phone does this for me. i sit listening to the radio in the car and have my phone listen to the song for 10 seconds and it tells me what it is. it got every song. even totally obscure eastern european dj shit on kcrw. i love it.

If you sing a song to your phone, will it find it out also? Does it have to hear the actual recording?

KenMixtape
09-18-2007, 12:13 AM
probably a longshot.
it's an old school breaks tune I used to hear in the early 90s.
it samples Eric B & Rakim "I Know You Got Soul":

Dance to the speaker til you hear them blow. Dance to the speaker til you hear them blow. blow-blow-blow blow blow blow D-d-d-dance to the speaker Dance to the speaker Dance to the speaker til you hear them blow.

It's not Jessica's Jaw, as was once suggested.
I've been desperately trying to pluck this from my past for over a decade...

tessalasset
09-18-2007, 12:52 AM
If you sing a song to your phone, will it find it out also? Does it have to hear the actual recording?
i tried that and it did not work. altho my friend played a live song from his iphone and it got it. so who knows.

ewiggy
09-18-2007, 12:18 PM
eons ago i downloaded a song from a band's myspace music page. they were not big, or popular, and i don't even remember how i found them. i think i had just randomly searched for like, "indie", and started clicking on shit. i know all of the lyrics and the song is very good. googling does nothing.

the song is called Fragments, and it sounds sort of reminds me of Cursive.

dude. hold up. i have googled that shit so many times over the past few years. i just thought i'd try it again and so i googled the first line of the song, and ONE result came up, and it's the band!

they apparently were called Seven AM or some variation of that, and all that exists of them now is this page: http://www.sonicgarden.com/sonic-web/artist.cfm?artistid=17872#

that was so anti-climactic.

oh my god, whatever you do - do not listen to the version of the song on that page. i will upload it here if anybody wants.

Alchemy
12-09-2007, 09:03 AM
Does anybody know where I can find the song "future perfect" by Autolux? I don't know why that one is not on the album. I mean they have the same name and all...

If someone could send it to me, that would be even more awesome.

EDIT: I know it doesn't make sense to put it in this thread, but I didn't know where else to ask. Meh.

fasttrack
12-09-2007, 09:12 AM
How about that song that goes across different centuries -- I think it came out in the 70s -- and the only verse I remember goes, "In the year, 2525..."? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

that song was also used as the theme song for the short lived sci-fi t.v. show "cleopatra 2525"

gaypalmsprings
12-09-2007, 09:16 AM
here's the lyrics

Before you split house-train the body you leave behind
there’s only one voice you can count on to keep you down
skin the bees and stripe the ceiling where you wake up
cuz all that movement under cover
is just bad luck

i change my head so i won’t be followed
i change my head so my friends don’t call me
i change my head so no one can fault me
i change my head so i won’t be bored

you know a certain brand of escape that gives you hope
so afraid of being found out you let it go
you never had the kind of focus to play a part
now soar away and give up people
it’s like an art

i change my head so i won’t be followed
i change my head so my friends don’t call me
i change my head so i won’t be bored

bmack86
12-09-2007, 11:09 AM
I had a song like this for the longest time.
I knew that it said something like,
"Grassman knows where the grass won't grow, the grass won't grow when the grassman goes. Grassman!"
And I remembered having seen the music video for it. The guy who sang was in a boat, floating down a bayou, in a grass suit, playing a ukelele or something like that. I remembered it being bizarre, having only seen it once at 1 am around 1995 on MTV, but my brother was there too, so we both knew we saw it, and we could never figure out who or what it was.

Earlier this year, I had an epiphany. After searching, and failing, for years, I tried again. I googled this shit out of this motherfucker, trying all variations. Some weird white power forum had a reference to Beavis and Butthead making fun of a video that was very similar sounding.
It took quite a bit of searching to find that, as I thought he was saying Grassman, but i finally came up with this video.
TZ4RgUc0sYw

It's Gary Young from Pavement!

woogie846
12-09-2007, 01:23 PM
"I get knocked down, then I get up again, I get up again, but I get knocked down I get knocked down?"

Anyone?

Alchemy
12-09-2007, 01:25 PM
here's the lyrics

Before you split house-train the body you leave behind
thereís only one voice you can count on to keep you down
skin the bees and stripe the ceiling where you wake up
cuz all that movement under cover
is just bad luck

i change my head so i wonít be followed
i change my head so my friends donít call me
i change my head so i wonít be bored

you know a certain brand of escape that gives you hope
so afraid of being found out you let it go
you never had the kind of focus to play a part
now soar away and give up people
itís like an art

i change my head so i wonít be followed
i change my head so my friends donít call me
i change my head so i wonít be bored

Yeah, that's the one. I can't believe it is not on the album.

Alchemy
12-09-2007, 01:39 PM
KHkPig9YCxs

Here is a youtube of the song.

matsuolost
12-09-2007, 01:47 PM
k2WCewlEC9c

what is that song?

Benis23
12-09-2007, 01:57 PM
"I get knocked down, then I get up again, I get up again, but I get knocked down I get knocked down?"

Anyone?

"You get what you give" by New Radicals. you're welcome.