PDA

View Full Version : Rescheduled Cure 2008 tour announced.

M Sparks
09-13-2007, 08:18 AM
Myspace bulletin this morning...Phoenix added!

13TH SEPTEMBER 2007
THE CURE ANNOUNCE RE-SCHEDULED 2008 NORTH AMERICAN 4TOUR SHOWS

AT LAST!
WE ARE VERY HAPPY TO ANNOUNCE THE NEW 2008 DATES OF OUR POSTPONED NORTH AMERICAN 4TOUR.

EIGHTEEN OF THE NINETEEN PREVIOUSLY ANNOUNCED SHOWS HAVE BEEN RE-SCHEDULED IN THE ORIGINAL VENUES, AND ALL 2007 TICKETS WILL BE HONOURED FOR THESE NEW 2008 CONCERTS.

(THE ONLY ONE WE COULDN’T GET SWITCHED WAS SEATTLE… BUT INSTEAD OF NO CURE SHOW AT ALL, WE WILL BE CLOSING THE SASQUATCH! MUSIC FESTIVAL ON SUNDAY 25TH MAY (MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND) AT THE GORGE AMPHITHEATRE, WHERE WE HAVE BEEN GUARANTEED 150 MINUTES ONSTAGE! ALL TICKETS FOR THE ORIGINALLY SCHEDULED CURE KEY ARENA CONCERT WILL BE HONOURED AT THE GORGE, BUT PLEASE NOTE: ALL TICKETS FOR THE SASQUATCH! FESTIVAL ARE GENERAL ADMISSION, INCLUDING ANY PREVIOUSLY ISSUED CURE KEY ARENA TICKETS).

IT’S ALL HAPPENING SLIGHTLY LATER THAN WE EXPECTED DUE TO ‘THE PLAYOFFS’ – A LOT OF THE VENUES WE NEEDED WOULDN’T LET US CONFIRM DATES IN THE MARCH/APRIL PERIOD – BUT WE UNDERSTAND THEY ALL HAVE TO LIVE IN HOPE!

HOWEVER, AN UNEXPECTED BONUS OF THE NEW ROUTING IS THAT WE HAVE BEEN ABLE TO ADD IN KANSAS CITY, PHOENIX, AUSTIN, FT LAUDERDALE AND CLEVELAND… AND THERE WILL BE MORE DATES TO COME!

WE APOLOGIZE AGAIN FOR THE INCONVENIENCE AND UPSET THE ORIGINAL POSTPONEMENT CAUSED, AND WILL MAKE SURE THAT THE NEW SHOWS ARE MORE THAN WORTH THE WAIT…

SEE YOU ALL SOON,

LOVE ROBERT, SIMON, JASON AND PORL XXXX (THE CURE)

PS
ANYONE WHO WANTS A REFUND ON THEIR 2007 TICKET WILL BE ABLE TO GET ONE IN FULL FROM HIS OR HER POINT OF PURCHASE UNTIL 1ST NOVEMBER 2007.

>

THE CURE 4TOUR NORTH AMERICA 2008

MAY
09 WASHINGTON DC Patriot Center

10 PHILADELPHIA Wachovia Spectrum

12 BOSTON Agganis Arena

14 MONTREAL Bell Centre

15 TORONTO Air Canada Centre

17 CHICAGO Allstate Arena

19 KANSAS CITY Starlight Theatre – ADDED SHOW

21 DENVER Red Rocks Amphitheatre

23 SALT LAKE CITY E Center

25 GEORGE WA The Gorge Sasquatch! Festival (in place of Seattle - headlining from 9:30 to midnight)

26 VANCOUVER General Motors Place

29 SANTA BARBARA Santa Barbara Bowl

31 LOS ANGELES Hollywood Bowl

JUNE
03 SAN DIEGO Cox Arena

04 PHOENIX Dodge Theatre – ADDED SHOW

06 DALLAS American Airlines Center

08 AUSTIN Austin Music Hall – ADDED SHOW

09 HOUSTON Toyota Center

11 TAMPA St Pete Times Forum

13 FT LAUDERDALE Bank Atlantic Center – ADDED SHOW

15 ATLANTA Gwinnett Center

16 CHARLOTTE Charlotte Bobcats Arena

18 CLEVELAND (Venue TBD) – ADDED SHOW

20 NEW YORK CITY Madison Square Garden

suprefan
09-13-2007, 09:22 AM
No Coachella bitches!!!! Glad thats out of the way.

And I am very suprised Sasquatch would let them post that they are headlining a day.

rage patton
09-13-2007, 09:42 AM
Woh... So the Cure are headlining Sasquatch? Hmmm... perhaps I will return my Vancouver ticket and plan a trip to Sasquatch.

luckyface
09-13-2007, 09:59 AM
That's pretty cool. I just wish the LA show wasn't at the Bowl.

hangthedj112
09-13-2007, 10:00 AM
Fuck the playoffs.

Deviate_420
09-13-2007, 10:11 AM
despite their impact on music, the Cure is vastly overrated.....

M Sparks
09-13-2007, 10:13 AM
My favorite live band, even though I rarely listen to their albums.

ThomThom
09-13-2007, 10:23 AM
That's pretty cool. I just wish the LA show wasn't at the Bowl.

You don't like the Bowl?

luckyface
09-13-2007, 10:35 AM
You don't like the Bowl?

Not really. Such a pain to deal with getting there/parking, and I have only sat towards the middle/back and had to deal with morons. I am going to AF/LCD next week and have garden box seats, so I will let you know if that changes things.

fatbastard
09-13-2007, 10:59 AM
Nice. I have a concert to go to after Coachella.

starrdogg
09-13-2007, 11:42 AM
You guys don't think they have a shot at headlining one day at Coachella next year? I mean, they wouldn't announce it this far in advance, and it will have been 4 years since they last played it. I don't particularly want it to happen, but I think they are a pretty realistic possibility to be one of the headliners next year considering when the tour starts and the new album coming out, etc.

summerkid
09-13-2007, 11:44 AM
You guys don't think they have a shot at headlining one day at Coachella next year? I mean, they wouldn't announce it this far in advance, and it will have been 4 years since they last played it. I don't particularly want it to happen, but I think they are a pretty realistic possibility to be one of the headliners next year considering when the tour starts and the new album coming out, etc.

No shot a headliner can't play LA that close to the festival especially in a big venue like the hollywood bowl. They are officially out of the running.

M Sparks
09-13-2007, 11:47 AM
They are officially out of the running.

Except for the part about it being official.

Boourns
09-13-2007, 11:51 AM
Exactly. Why haul ass out to the desert to see The Cure when you can see them a month later in Hollywood?

Sasquatch already has a headliner...pretty early, eh?

starrdogg
09-13-2007, 11:56 AM
Exactly. Why haul ass out to the desert to see The Cure when you can see them a month later in Hollywood?

Sasquatch already has a headliner...pretty early, eh?

I guess I can buy into this logic, but isn't it also true that 50% of Coachella-goers aren't from California at all? And a good chunk of the 50% that are from California aren't from the LA area. I think the issue of them playing the Hollywood Bowl a month later wouldn't be nearly as big of an issue next year as it would've been, say, 5-6 years ago when Coachella wasn't as much of a destination festival.

superfiction
09-13-2007, 11:57 AM
thats lme that we know a sasquatch headliner so early

M Sparks
09-13-2007, 12:02 PM
So you only go to Coachella for the headliner, Booums?

And for some of us, Hollywood is farther away.

I'm not disagreeing with you or Summerkid, just pointing out the flaws in your logic/choice of words/ect. Cause I'm a dork.

summerkid
09-13-2007, 12:12 PM

I'm not disagreeing with you or Summerkid, just pointing out the flaws in your logic/choice of words/ect. Cause I'm a dork.

There is an agreement every year with the artists that they can't play the LA area within a certain time span. Now there were a few exceptions last year like Arcade Fire at the Greek but that was scheduled after Coachella was already sold out and there was an obvious demand to see them and even then Arcade Fire was not a headliner.

M Sparks
09-13-2007, 12:21 PM
There is an agreement every year with the artists that they can't play the LA area within a certain time span.

Ahem...

"I'm not disagreeing with you or Summerkid, just pointing out the flaws in your logic/choice of words/ect. Cause I'm a dork."

rage patton
09-13-2007, 01:28 PM
Its a full month after Coachella... I could see then headlining a day at Coachella. However, if we are going for repeat headliners right now, I would take Radiohead over them. I can see the Cure in Vancouver (I have tickets) or at Sasquatch (depending on the line up.)
So what about refunds... when are they being offered up until? Is it a limited time thing... or can I return the tickets the day before the show if I so wished?

M Sparks
09-13-2007, 01:50 PM
So what about refunds... when are they being offered up until? Is it a limited time thing... or can I return the tickets the day before the show if I so wished?

PSSSSST...

the answer is in this very thread

:winkiss

rage patton
09-13-2007, 01:54 PM
PSSSSST...

the answer is in this very thread

:winkiss

Haha thanks... totaly didnt notice that.

November first eh? Damn... I was gonna wait until I saw the Sasquatch line up. Looks like I will have to make my decision a little faster.

Boourns
09-13-2007, 02:25 PM

I never said I did, just that this is the headliner rationale. A lot of people every year are there just for the headliner (more for Rage and Radiohead, obviously), but even for the others who consider it all a package deal, the headliner is a big part of that for a lot of them. Having The Cure play Coachella a month before a previously announced Hollywood Bowl gig would discourage at least 10,000 people from attending. More people come from LA than any other place, obviously since it's the closest major metropolitan area. That's why bands are forbidden from doing such shows, with exceptions made for non-headliners only. Duh.

M Sparks
09-13-2007, 02:31 PM
I never said I did, just that this is the headliner rationale. A lot of people every year are there just for the headliner (more for Rage and Radiohead, obviously), but even for the others who consider it all a package deal, the headliner is a big part of that for a lot of them. Having The Cure play Coachella a month before a previously announced Hollywood Bowl gig would discourage at least 10,000 people from attending. More people come from LA than any other place, obviously since it's the closest major metropolitan area. That's why bands are forbidden from doing such shows, with exceptions made for non-headliners only. Duh.

Ahem...

"I'm not disagreeing with you or Summerkid, just pointing out the flaws in your logic/choice of words/ect. Cause I'm a dork."

suprefan
09-13-2007, 03:01 PM
Haha thanks... totaly didnt notice that.

November first eh? Damn... I was gonna wait until I saw the Sasquatch line up. Looks like I will have to make my decision a little faster.

Sasquatch doesnt get announced until March or so ya know. Get the refund, you wont feel so horrible with that money back in your pocket so you can see some other shows you have been tearing yourself up about as it is due to lack of funds. And MORE MONEY FOR VEGOOSE, think about it.

rage patton
09-13-2007, 03:04 PM
Right now, I am REALLY debating going to Vegas a day early to catch Serj Tankian @ The House of Blues in Vegas... that money WOULD be helpful.
Damn you The Cure! Or perhaps I should be thanking them... Hmmm.

suprefan
09-13-2007, 03:08 PM
Do it, trust me you will love having that extra money in your hands. And yeah when could you catch Serj ya know? Also, thats interesting that he is in town that weekend(well kind of) hmmmmm.

bmack86
09-13-2007, 03:10 PM

For most bands, this may be true, but the Cure have a notoriously rabid following.

amyzzz
09-13-2007, 04:16 PM
Yay for the Phoenix date.

M Sparks
09-13-2007, 05:03 PM
Yay for the Phoenix date.

Dodge Theater seems weird...kinda small. I've seen them twice at America West Arena (or whatever it's called now) and once at Desert Sky Pavilion (or whatever it's called now) and they were always pretty full. The Dodge is like 1/3 the size.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-13-2007, 05:46 PM
Woot Woot! Not until the end of MAY! Glad I kept my tickets after all!

Somewhat Damaged
09-13-2007, 06:44 PM
I'm not the hugest Cure fan but I like them enough and know a couple people who are really eager to see them (one would probably kill someone if it meant she'd get tickets to the show) so I'm really glad to see this news and now have something to do 6/4/08.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-13-2007, 06:50 PM
My fiancee really wants to see them...which is another reason I didn't return my tickets...

rage patton
09-13-2007, 07:02 PM
Do it, trust me you will love having that extra money in your hands. And yeah when could you catch Serj ya know? Also, thats interesting that he is in town that weekend(well kind of) hmmmmm.

I forgot to mention... he has a show in LA on the 28th and San Fran on the 29th.
Vegoose. DENIED.

If I wanted to catch this Serj show in Vegas I would have to return my Cure tickets, and sell my Rodrigo y Gabriela tickets and my Ozzy/Rob Zombie tickets. Even then, it might be hard to get an extra night in a hotel and change flights and all the shit.

I really, really hope Serj is at Coachella next year.

And Im thinking of returning my Cure ticket anywhich way and just going to Sasquatch next year. Anyone know if there are any fake posters for that yet?

captncrzy
09-13-2007, 07:04 PM
Wow I'm really suprised about the Dodge date. The Dodge is a pretty small venue in comparison to what they usually play. Maybe they're going to make the floor GA to get more people in there or something.

I'm glad I got a refund on my Chicago tix now.

i_like_cake530
09-13-2007, 07:33 PM
Ahem...

You didn't point anything out....elaborate please. Didn't you take english in highschool?...you can't use a quote without backing it up.

M Sparks
09-13-2007, 10:44 PM
You didn't point anything out....elaborate please. Didn't you take english in highschool?...you can't use a quote without backing it up.

1)I'm not talking to you. I'm pretty sure the people it was intended for- Boourns and Summerkid- are smart enough to figure out what I was driving at.

2)The word "English" should be capitalized. You can't put ellipses after a question mark. High school should probably either be two words, or hyphenated. And you need a comma between "elaborate" and "please".

I may not be a perfect writer... for one thing, I tend use ellipses where they aren't necessary...but you know all about that. I also tend to use numbered lists for no good reason, when a paragraph would suffice. And, of course, I go off on a lot of tangents. However, I would consider myself in the top 25% of internet posters as far as having a grasp of the English language, simply because I at least ATTEMPT to capitalize, punctuate, and spell correctly. I may be a "B-" student, but it's not really something you can attack me on- especially with a "C+" post.

3)I can do whatever I want with the quote, I'm quoting myself. What, are you going to red-pen my post because my footnotes are incomplete? This is a message board, not a thesis.

The large type "AHEM" was an attempt at humor, as it was the second time I had been misread/misunderstood. If I was speaking out loud, I probably would have repeated the sentences with different emphasis on different words each time, maybe with a funny speaking-out-the-side-of-my-mouth kind of thing. That kind of subtlety is difficult on the internet...maybe I should have gone for italics and boldface. But I went with the "AHEM" as a kind of "read this again and you'll understand" cue.

Since subtlety isn't working today, I will elaborate.

I'm not disagreeing with you or Summerkid

You see, I kept REPEATING this, because Boourns and Summerkid both took up defensive positions against me. I felt this was unnecessary, since I was in no way disagreeing with their points...and had stated this explicitly. They both felt the need to explain their positions further...I was merely pointing out that I agreed with them.

However, I took issue with the way they expressed them, which I felt was explained by the following sentence.

just pointing out the flaws in your logic/choice of words/ect.

Essentially, I was "nitpicking". Specifically, I took issue with the following statements.

They are officially out of the running.

I agree with Summerkid that the chances of The Cure playing are virtually zero. However, there's nothing "official" about it. Even if Goldenvoice had made their contract stipulations public in the past (which I doubt), there is not- as far as I know- a hard and fast rule on the subject. There were also no announcements from official sources that would preclude them from playing Coachella. For example, if Goldenvoice officially announced next year's dates, and The Cure announced conflicting tour dates, then one could say they are "officially" out. But there's really no way they can be "officially out" without ANY statements from officials, or a strict rule-set to apply.

(Note...I am not trying to perpetuate the myth that you "can't prove a negative." You absolutely can in most cases...it's just that no one has in this particular case.)

Why haul ass out to the desert to see The Cure when you can see them a month later in Hollywood?.

In this case, while this is an obviously rhetorical question, I misunderstood Boourns slightly. He was simply trying to explain the "conventional wisdom" on the subject. I thought he was expressing his personal opinion. I responded with...

So you only go to Coachella for the headliner, Booums? (sic) And for some of us, Hollywood is farther away.
(note that I misspelled Boourns name here...this font makes that particular letter combination hard to read, I guess)

My question was also rhetorical...I'm relatively sure that Boourns didn't feel that way. I was simply trying to point out that there were many other reasons to go to the festival. In fact, the reverse argument would probably be more valid...why pay $60 to see The Cure in May, when you can pay $85 to see them AND 40 other bands at Coachella a month earlier?

As for "hauling your ass to the desert", I thought I pointed out pretty clearly that for many (including me), Coachella is closer than Hollywood.

Essentially, Boourns rhetorical question was riddled with flaws, in that I had an answer- a REAL answer- that countered the argument. Perhaps I should have simply come out and answered the question..."I would drag my ass to the desert to see a ton of great bands...plus, Hollywood is a very long drive for me.

However, I did not disagree with Booruns basic point. I was actually trying to help strengthen the argument being made, by pointing out it's weaknesses. Many debates are lost in the details, not the truth.

Finally, I ended with...

Cause I'm a dork.
This was an attempt to lighten the mood...to make sure they knew I was just teasing their choice of words. Self deprecation helps to ease tensions. I just wanted to let them know that I wasn't fighting with them.

You may have noticed that I'm not being self deprecating now. This is because I'm genuinely annoyed with your humorlessness and your patronizing, insulting, mildly ironic insult.

Class dismissed.

M Sparks
09-13-2007, 10:57 PM
Wow I'm really suprised about the Dodge date. The Dodge is a pretty small venue in comparison to what they usually play. Maybe they're going to make the floor GA to get more people in there or something.

I think they top out around 5000 no matter what. It'll be fun to see them in a slightly more intimate setting.

As long as the AC is working! I saw Blue Man Group there, and had awful seats- balcony, back row, far right. It was easily 95 degrees up there, though apparently the lower levels were fine.

An usher saw us sweating and fanning and sucking down bottled water. (We're from up north, so we're pussies about the heat.) After the opening acts, he gave us a "Psst...follow me" gesture, and put us in an unused luxury box. Pretty sweet.