PDA

View Full Version : In depth review of Dinosaur Jr./Band of Horses tonight

bballarl
09-09-2007, 12:27 AM
Bryan and I went to go see Dinosaur Jr./Band of Horses at the Wiltern. The show was sponsored by Camel, which was pretty fucking lame. They were giving out free posters and cigarettes, but you had to answer questions or some shit and give them a number or email address. I really wanted a poster so I stupidly gave them my cell phone number. I hope those fuckers don't call me at some point. The kid next to me got the cigarettes. Anyway, the fact Camel was sponsoring the show was really fucking lame.

We walked in and Band of Horses had already started playing. They exceeded my expectations. They had a really nice, full sound and their singer sounded fantastic. They played for almost an hour and got a pretty good audience response, which they seemed pleasantly surprised by. They are worth seeing for those who haven't, and I'll definitely check them out again.

Dinosaur Jr. killed it, as usual. They weren't as loud as in the past, but it seemed like they were just playing out of the amps, rather than the amps and the house. J was ON FIRE on the guitar. The new material sounded amazing, and J would just kill all his solos, some of which got extended. The show seemed a bit short in the end, and while it was satisfying, I wish we had gotten more.

Oh by the way, Mountain Man was amazing. J played a reverse flying V or something. It was sick.

I also didn't do the best job with the setlist tonight, so I apologize. When the official one surfaces I'll edit this. I'm not good with the titles on the new record, and I always mix up Kracked, Tarpit and Sludgefeast. Sorry.

Setlist:
Tarpit
?
Back To Your Heart
No Bones
Little Fury Things
?
Been There All The Time
Feel The Pain
Pick Me Up
Crumble
Forget The Swan
Sludgefeast

Encore:
Freak Scene
In A Jar
Mountain Man

Other highlights included a guy in front of us who was dressed in rock n' roll attire who was dancing like a fucking maniac. He took the rock too far. He was doing full on kicks and looked like he was having seizures and shit. He would also play air guitar, but it looked like he was masturbating really vigorously rather than playing guitar. If anyone has seen Jersey Boys, he looked like whoever it is that plays Bob Crewe in the SF production.

bmack86
09-09-2007, 12:34 AM
The guy who bled rock was pretty great. i really enjoyed the show. Band of horses was fantastic, and Dino were so intense, loud and cool.

suprefan
09-09-2007, 01:09 AM
I wouldve loved to see a photo of this rocker dude doing spin kicks. Sounds liek an awesome show, I am glad I got to see dino at the Troubadour, and Band of Horses wouldve been awesome to see again.

sonofhal
09-09-2007, 08:30 AM
I listened to Cease To Begin for the first time today. Possible album of the year.

Ardentbiscuit
09-09-2007, 08:32 AM
I had tickets to that but didn't make it. I wish I had gone. Camel does these concerts once a month or so and they are always free.

They won't call you. They just swipe your drivers license and get your email address because they email cigarette promotions and mail you some free gifts in the mail and they set you for a free account on their site. Which is really only any good to print out tickets (when it's working) for their shows. You have to call customer service to get the id and password and usually the people are really dumb on the customer service line.

I went to the one they did with The Faint, Ladytron, Ratatat, and Steve Aoki. Good show!

bug on your lip
09-09-2007, 08:52 AM
i have some video of the Dino show in Minneapolis

audio isn't that great tho, cuz they were so fukkin loud & it was a small venue

full on idle
09-09-2007, 09:34 AM
I am excited for this show tonight and I will be bringing earplugs.

Also, Cease to Begin is pretty good but I wouldn't say album of the year status yet. Needs more listens.

ewiggy
09-09-2007, 10:44 AM
I listened to Cease To Begin for the first time today. Possible album of the year.

woah for real? i have yet to listen to it, but i've been waiting for it. but dang. i didn't think album of the year.

also i am very sad i didn't get to go to this.

bballarl
09-09-2007, 10:48 AM
You missed out on a rockfest, as evidenced by the dude in front of us. I should have got video of it or something, but I'm not sure my phone can do that.

miscorrections
09-09-2007, 10:48 AM
i kind of like imagining it better anyway.

keriann
09-09-2007, 10:56 AM
You've had a good week of overrockers, Andrew.

I like the new Band of Horses. Except it's a little too quiet for me. But I think as a whole I might like it more than the first one. But not seeing the album of the yearness yet.

bballarl
09-09-2007, 11:03 AM
That is a good observation Keriann. I think it is safe to say this has been the best week of overrockers in my life. I'd like to thank fate for bringing the overrockers into my general vicinity.

ewiggy
09-09-2007, 11:08 AM
i am hoping for at least one at spoon on tuesday.

bballarl
09-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Last night's overrocker was the king. If you get anything remotely close, you will be satisfied.

bmack86
09-09-2007, 11:17 AM
There's no way to get even remotely close
That guy was golden.

bballarl
09-09-2007, 11:23 AM
Oh, forgot to add in the review:

While driving to/from the show, Bryan and I listened to the entire new PJ Harvey record. It is much more in the vein of "Is This Desire?" than the other material, but that is only a good comparison because it is soft by her standards. I would characterize the new record as somewhat gothic and theatrical, but understated and haunting (so not a Rufus Wainwright doing Judy Garland theaterical). The record is basically piano and her voice. There are other instruments accenting things here and there, but it is really soft. The hauntedness reminds me of Billie Holiday. Really good stuff.

bmack86
09-09-2007, 11:25 AM
And we drove by the Playboy mansion. Don't forget that.

bballarl
09-09-2007, 11:28 AM
That's true. Hef invited us inside, but we politely declined.

bmack86
09-09-2007, 11:34 AM
Let's be real. He begged, and we were gracious in our refusal.

bballarl
09-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Yeah, that's more accurate. I just don't want to make Hef look bad.

sonofhal
09-09-2007, 12:04 PM
I am excited for this show tonight and I will be bringing earplugs.

Also, Cease to Begin is pretty good but I wouldn't say album of the year status yet. Needs more listens.

I did say possible - i have quite a big list of possibles.

PotVsKtl
09-09-2007, 11:39 PM
There was a little pudgy dude in a sweater vest stagediving repeatedly. I'd say a good 65% of the audience was overrocking this evening.

bballarl
09-09-2007, 11:53 PM
Do tell.

mountmccabe
09-10-2007, 06:26 AM
You wore a sweater vest, Pot?

dorkfish
09-10-2007, 06:37 AM
Sweater vest guy climbed on stage a minimum of 4 times to kiss Lou Barlow's hair and to yell incoherent babblings. Then the security guard threw him back to the crowd. Then the security guards decided to put the beat down on some other guy for unknown reasons. This turned into an odd 3-man melee that involved a security guard choking out the guy while bumping into Pot&I.

J~$$$
09-10-2007, 08:34 AM
please say there are pictures of sweater vest guy?

full on idle
09-10-2007, 08:49 AM
Sweater vest guy climbed on stage a minimum of 4 times to kiss Lou Barlow's hair and to yell incoherent babblings. Then the security guard threw him back to the crowd. Then the security guards decided to put the beat down on some other guy for unknown reasons. This turned into an odd 3-man melee that involved a security guard choking out the guy while bumping into Pot&I.

ha HA this makes me glad I left when I did.

That guy is olllllllllllld.

I liked it when the brown haired guy told the audience to "shut up."

Band of Horses sounded great, a little tired I think. The new songs were good.

This has been my thoughts on the matter, by Valarie.

mob roulette
09-10-2007, 08:56 AM
Thank you for sharing. Choking out sounds totally unnecessary though. Unless he was just like uncontrollable or something. Guy sounds funny.

PotVsKtl
09-10-2007, 09:30 AM
I didn't see any justification for the security beatdown, although what with the beatee launching into our area of the crowd from the stage which he was scrambling across in his daring escape attempt, it's hard to say. He could have been attacking the security guy's mother with a battleaxe for all I know. Whatever it was I hope it was impressive, because the crackdown seemed way over the top.

And no, you are not glad you left, the show was hilarious and just got better in the encore. People were going fucking nuts. Also, the music was good but that seems irrelevant.

keriann
09-10-2007, 10:00 AM
This is a serious "I wish I had been there" moment for me.

dorkfish
09-10-2007, 10:22 AM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1179/1354311220_deea9c266c_o.jpg

j is looking a bit older.

bballarl
09-10-2007, 03:57 PM
J still brings the rock Brad. Even if his hair is gray/white and he looks like a Blockbuster employee.

tessalasset
09-11-2007, 01:25 AM
Anyone wanna point me in the direction of the new BoH?

PotVsKtl
09-11-2007, 09:57 AM
<- INTERNET ->

kroqken
10-30-2009, 05:58 PM
Is anyone seeing Dinosaur Jr. at the House of Blues? I would but it is the same night as the Pixies concert. Also, I hate the House of Blues, the security are the biggest assholes in southern California.