PDA

View Full Version : In depth review of BRMC tonight

bballarl
09-07-2007, 01:33 AM
In short, BRMC killed. But this in depth, so I'm not going be short.

The show was out in Ventura, at the Ventura Theatre. Keriann, Keriann's friend and I went. The venue is very old and kind of creepy. Ween are playing there in November, for those who care.

The crowd was pretty thin for the opening band. They were called Magic Mirror (from LA I believe). They sounded like an exact mix of The Verve and Spiritualized, with a little Spacemen 3. It was not bad, but it wasn't enthralling either. Basically, the sounds were nice but the songs and melodies weren't so catchy. The way I judge opening bands is if I can see myself going up there and doing better, and I certainly felt that way with this group. Solid, but kind of uninteresting.

A few things about BRMC (I'm paraphrasing Keriann here a bit). One, their look is badass. Two, their stage show is very well put together. Three, the aesthetic is great. It all really comes together for their show. The lights are all solid, unmoving colors (minus a strobe or two) in red and black and stuff, and they have liberal amounts of smoke covering the stage. Basically, everything fits.

And then there's the actual sound of the group. They are heavy as fuck live. I mean, I know the records seem heavy (at least in terms of guitar tone and stuff). But these guys have a thick, heavy, nasty sound to them. The guitars remind me of The Kills (in the way they sound), which is the most brutally dirty and awesome tone I can think of. The drums are heavy and powerful. The bass is killer. They have an amazing, heavy sound.

(*) indicates that I'm not positive about the title because I only wrote down snippets of the lyrics. But I think I'm right. If I'm wrong, correct me.

Took Out A Loan
Berlin
Love Burns
Spread Your Love
Weapon of Choice
Whatever Happened To My Rock n' Roll (Punk Song)
Windows (*)
Killing The Light (*)
Red Eyes & Tears
666 Conducer
Not What You Wanted (*)
Fault Line
Complicated Situation
Ain't No Easy Way Out
Need Some Air (*)
American X (*)

Shuffle Your Feet
Going Under
(Slippery Slope) (*)
All You Do Is Talk

Some other highlights of the show included a middle age guy who was dressed like a 20 year old frat boy dancing (out of time, mind you) to a bunch of the songs, and some other people I can't remember because it's late.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff. But that's life. Any help finishing the setlist or getting the right one would be great.

The moral is see BRMC. They own. BRMC for Coachella 08. Thanks.

RotationSlimWang
09-07-2007, 02:10 AM
Who the fuck is BRMC again?

clarky123
09-07-2007, 02:12 AM
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. Christ almighty!

RotationSlimWang
09-07-2007, 03:16 AM
Christ almighty indeed. With that name, no way could they suck. No, wait a minute, that's not right...

Stefinitely Maybe
09-07-2007, 03:21 AM
Dude, they're named after one of the gangs in Rebel Without A Cause.

Anyway, I've seen BRMC several times:

-first time was at some small venue in London, I can't even remember where or when (they were great)
-second time was in 2002, supporting Oasis at the Albert Hall (they were great)
-third time was in 2003, supporting Oasis in Finsbury Park (they were great)
-fourth time was at Coachella 2004 (they were absolutely horrible, one of the worst shows I've ever seen, and definitely the worst I've ever seen at Coachella)

That last time kind of put me off seeing them again. I'm willing to forgive and forget, though.

RotationSlimWang
09-07-2007, 03:22 AM
Dude, James Dean sucked cock.

Stefinitely Maybe
09-07-2007, 04:06 AM
EXACTLY.

TomAz
09-07-2007, 08:08 AM
Randy, your subconcious is showing again.

miscorrections
09-07-2007, 08:28 AM
that's a great setlist. love burns followed by spread your love? YES.

shakermaker113
09-07-2007, 08:43 AM
I totally love BRMC live, their shows have only gotten better each time I saw them. although I regret not catching them in their early days. it's a shame to hear their coachella 2004 set was so bad -- I remember that was a huge conflict for me with someone, was it the flaming lips? not sure. still, bballarl I agree with what you have said about their live show. :-)

now, do I bother with the download festival? if they play the second stage, it'd be worth it. if they play the main stage, the download festival can suck my cock.

bballarl
09-07-2007, 09:07 AM
They had sound issues in Coachella 04. They had to play acoustically to compensate, if I remember properly.

mountmccabe
09-07-2007, 10:05 AM
At Coachella:

They had serious sound problems through their first two songs then the sound dropped out almost entirely halfway through "White Palms." And, yeah, they tried to cover by playing acoustically. That was cool. After a couple songs they tried the full sound system and it didn't work and they gave up.

That's how I remember it, at least. Overall very disappointing but I can't blame BRMC and it did seem pretty special to have heard them acoustically. This was before Howl came out, BTW, so acoustic for them was a huge stretch.

downingthief
09-07-2007, 10:13 AM
At Coachella:

They had serious sound problems through their first two songs then the sound dropped out almost entirely halfway through "White Palms." And, yeah, they tried to cover by playing acoustically. That was cool. After a couple songs they tried the full sound system and it didn't work and they gave up.

That's how I remember it, at least. Overall very disappointing but I can't blame BRMC and it did seem pretty special to have heard them acoustically. This was before Howl came out, BTW, so acoustic for them was a huge stretch.

That sums it up well, John. I was really disappointed; they were one of the bands I was really looking forward to that year.

mountmccabe
09-07-2007, 11:14 AM
I had seen them three times before and have seen them three times since so it didn't bother me that much, I guess.

I think I'm going to listen to Baby 81 now.

mountmccabe
09-07-2007, 12:02 PM
OK, quick story.

First time I saw BRMC was at 'Canes in April 2002 opening for Spiritualized. My friend had already seen them twice the previous December opening for Mercury Rev in Texas so he knew what to expect and we bet a round of drinks on how many words BRMC would say during their time on stage. The line was set at 7, I took over and won as they said a combined total of 9 words. The next morning I tore my ACL playing pickup ultimate frisbee on a beautiful grass field near in view of the beach. Then I drove back to Phoenix because my friend can't drive manual. And went to see Spiritualized/BRMC again, this time in Tempe at Bash on Ash. Then the next day I went to the doctor.

Also we drove out to 'Canes again a few months later to see Mercury Rev with the Shins opening. We took Monday off and lazily made our way out there for the show and then drove right back after to make it to work Tuesday. Anyway we had another bet with that same line of 7, on the number of rings that Jonathan Donahue wore. I took under and lost. Dude ruled.

TomAz
09-07-2007, 12:06 PM
BRMC and Mercury Rev? what an odd pairing.

J~$$$
09-07-2007, 12:07 PM
I get to see BRMC for the first time next week.

mountmccabe
09-07-2007, 12:39 PM
BRMC and Mercury Rev? what an odd pairing.

Sure, by December 2001 Mercury Rev was fully Jonathan's band but they weren't totally divorced from their more psychedelic roots.

BRMC had only released their first album that April and Peter was in Brian Jonestown Massacre and their early sound had a definite psychedelic bent to it.

So I wouldn't consider it that odd.

I mean, sure if you look at it now as Mercury Rev has gone more towards the grand sweeping chamber rock and BRMC went on their country/roots side track that seems odd but six years ago not so much. Especially since BRMC were such a nothing band at the time.

mountmccabe
09-07-2007, 12:45 PM
Sorry for a real response there but I couldn't decide between "Are you 12?" and "Are you going senile slightly prematurely?"

keriann
09-07-2007, 01:31 PM
we bet a round of drinks on how many words BRMC would say during their time on stage. The line was set at 7, I took over and won as they said a combined total of 9 words.
hahaha. I kind of love this about them. Because it's not like it's out of disengagement with the audience, it's more that they are there to play rock and roll and not fuck around.

Nice review Andrew.

Here are a few random thoughts:

I really hope the people who have only seen them at Coachella and were disappointed by that set have the chance to see them again. I have seen them twice since then and they have completely slayed. They're one of the most solid live bands I've seen.

Though slightly creepy, I think Ventura Theatre is a really cool place to see a show. Especially when it's not crowded.

I thought it was interesting how they are electrifying the songs from Howl to make them fit more cohesively with the rest of their set. It's creative.

Their drummer has almost the same haircut as I do.

Have you seen them since Baby 81 came out, John? Very different show from the Howl tour.

TomAz
09-07-2007, 01:34 PM
Sorry for a real response there but I couldn't decide between "Are you 12?" and "Are you going senile slightly prematurely?"

understood. and what you say makes sense.

but given Andrew's review and his repeated use of the word 'heavy', and MR's stuff which I would call "whispy", it just seemed funny.

fatbastard
09-07-2007, 03:31 PM
http://harpmagazine.com/img/news/20070131_Black_Rebel.jpg

http://www.sawf.org/newsphotos/James_Dean_Rebel_Without_Cause_200509290648416710_ afp.jpg

bballarl
09-07-2007, 05:12 PM
BRMC are way cooler than most bands.

miscorrections
09-07-2007, 05:22 PM
BRMC are cooler than you.

bballarl
09-07-2007, 05:23 PM
True statement. BRMC ooze cool.

woogie846
09-07-2007, 09:30 PM
BRMC ooze so much cool, they could make like 10,000 cool smoothies with an extra and free cool boost at Jamba Juice.

miscorrections
09-07-2007, 09:32 PM
next time i go to jamba juice i'm going to ask for a cool boost.