PDA

View Full Version : My review of Day 1 at Bumbershoot

rage patton
09-03-2007, 02:34 AM
So, I am just getting around to my review of Day 1 (Sept 1) of Bumershoot 2007. First off, I was originaly planning on going all 3 days... but since Vegoose came along, I cut it short to one day. Also, photos and band setlists (if possible) to come as soon as possible. Anyways, on with the review.

My girlfriend and I arrived around 12:30 and parked our car by a giant pink elephant. We made it to the gates around 12:45 and heard this band playing on a stage right beside one of entrances. Since this was my first time at bumbershoot, we were going to explore the grounds before we saw any bands... but there was something familiar about this band that we were hearing to our left, so we went to go check them out. It turned out, they were this band called "The Cops"... never heard of them before.
THE COPS REVIEW: However, there was still something familiar about the lead singer's voice. About a song or two in, it came to me! It wasnt his voice I recognized, it was that his voice sounded almost exactly like Joe Strummers! I dont know what his voice sounds like on their recorded music... but live he sounded an amazing amount like Joe Strummer. They also had kind of a Clash flair, but more rock n' roll-ish. Anyways, they played for an hour and they were a great way to start off the day.

Next on the list, we went to go find one of the comedy stages. I just really wanted to check out Fred Armisen (SNL, Anchorman, etc.) However, after a frantic search and finally getting to the theatre... it turns out it was full and we were turned away. I then decided to call some of my friends, to see if they were going to make it... but it occurred to me I left my cell phone in the car. Good thing about Bumbershoot... they do have in and out privledges. However, I was to lazy to walk to my car, so I decided to find a pay phone. Well, we searched, and we searched, and we searched. We probably asked 10 people if they knew where a cell phone was. And after about an epic half-hour quest... we found a pay phone! As it turns out... our friends werent able to make it anyways. Bitches.

QUICK AVETT BROS. REVIEW: Fast forward a couple hours... and its 4:45 and we are infront of a stage waiting for the Avett Brother. I missed these guys at Coachella, and after watching some youtube videos, I decided I majorly regretted it. Unfortunately, the Aggrolites were playing at 5:45, so I knew I was gonna have so miss some of the Avett Brothers. As luck would have it, The Avett Bros. were having some major sound issues and come on stage right around 5. Jebus Murphy can they ever rock an acoustic guitar, banjo and stand up bass! I only stayed for about 20 minutes, but what I saw, I absolutely loved! I would love to get another chance to see them. However... it was time to get a good spot for the Aggrolites.

Sure enough, I got a great spot for the Aggrolites, and met some really cool people there too. We met this guy named Slut and his girlfriend Paige. If you were at Bumbershoot, you probably got a picture of him and his foot+ long... blonde mohawk. We pretty much hung out with them for the rest of the night, and he probably got asked for, not kidding, 100 pictures. I had no idea mohawks were that amazing of a thing.

THE AGGROLITES REVIEW: The Aggrolites hit the stage right at 5:45. For the first little while of the show, the people at the front were dancing, and skankin along with the reggae, reggae music. But the rest of the crowd seemed to only be bobbing their heads. However, all of a sudden at about 15-20 there was a night and day difference in the crowd. Suddenly EVERYONE was dancing, skankin, jumping, moshing, and even got a train going through the crowd. From then on, the band seemed to realize the crowds sudden energy jump and they slammed the fuckin reggae down hard and dirty! The crowd was eating them up as much as they were feeding off the crowd. For such a laid back, feel good reggae band, they rocked hard! They didnt even speed up their music at the live show, they just put so much life and soul into the music, you couldnt hep but dance and sing. They then left the stage right at their scheduled time at 6:45, and the roadies came on stage and started packing their stuff up. However, the crowd just kept on cheering. Then everyone started chanting "Encore! Encore!" And I could see the stage manager talking to the sound people. Then looking back stage, making motions... sure enough The Aggrolites came back on stage and did an encore! Totaly unplaned. For that, Bumbershoot get extra points for allowing spur of the moment stuff. Their encore was great too, it included a medely of songs from The Clash, Toots and the Maytails and Sublime. Great, great show! If anyone gets the chance to see them, I suggest you go check em out.

Not only that though, we met the Aggrolites after the show. It was during an Autograph session, but nonetheless, they were really cool. Really funny guys. I talked to the lead singer about Yo Gabba Gabba, and he just laughed and said "You caught that eh?" He also went on to say that Christan Jacobs (lead singer of The Aquabats and creator of the show) is one of the coolest, nicest and funniest guys he knows.

Then after that, was food and anticipation... Gogol Bordello was up next! THE reason I was going to this. Their Coachella performance has forever been imprinted on my mind, and was not gonna give up another chance to see them. However, it was still almost an hour and a half away, so we went and got dinner. Right after the act that was on before Gogol was one, I went to get as close to the front as I could. Immediately, I knew somthing was different. I couldnt get to the front, and it was still 45 minutes till they started. At Coachella, I got their 15 minutes before they started and I was basically at the gate. I was still close at bumbershoot, but still probably 4 or 5 rows away, but still. I was also sort of distured because a couple feet away from me, were some bros screaming "GYPSYS RULE!" and shit like that, when obviously, they know jack shit about gypsy culture. I was hoping all the bros would be at Panic! At The Disco... but that wasnt the case. ANYWAYS. The banner droped and the crowd went nuts. However, it was still 10 minutes till starting time so I took a few quick pictures of the stage before the band started, just in case I couldnt during the show. (Turned out to be a good idea... I didnt get any pictures during the show) A few minutes later... it was time for the main event....

GOGOL BORDELLO REVIEW: Let me start off by saying, the band was amazing! Their energy level was high and Eugene was as manic as ever! They sounded great, and the Super Taranta material sounded great live too. However, this performance pales greatly in comparisson to the Coachella performance. I will explain throughout this review. As soon as the band started, the crowd surged forward! People were pushing and shoving trying to get closer. I almost felt like I was at Rage Against The Machine or something like that. This was different then at Coachella already, because it took the crowd a good 30 seconds-a minute to respond at Coachella. But as soon as they did, it was a giant friendly gyspsy punk pary! Basicaly, the crowd was the reason this Gogol show wasnt the same experience. However, the crowd wasn't bad the whole time... the show had its highs and lows. They opened up with Ultimate, then played Immigrant Punk, then Sally then after they played Not A Crime. During those songs... I hated the crowd. I was thinking if the crowd contiuned like this, for much longer, I was gonna have to move further back and watch from (somewhat) of a distance. However, (I believe) the next song they played was Mishto! and, thank god, suddenly this Coachella vibe hit the crowd! It was amazing, during that song, it felt like what I felt at Coachella. Everyone was jumping and dancing together! It was what made the Coachella show so great, the music made people feel unified. There was no violent pushing, there was no hardcore moshing, no slam dancing. Just people dancing, jumping, spinning around in circles, laughing, smiling and having a genuinely good time. This feeling went through a couple of songs, including Wanderlust King, wich was one of my favorite songs of that entire show. But then, all of a sudden, the crowd started acting like douches again. And this fluxuated from time to time during the show. That was the major difference.

But yes, the band left the stage at, well I had no idea what the time was, but it was well before their time was up. So I knew an encore was coming. The entire encore was great! I forget which songs they played and in what order, but it included Alcohol, Mala Vida and Baro Faro/Undestrutable. Baro Faro has this amazing ability, to give you more energy and, at Bumbershoot apparently, to stop acting like douches. But seriously at both Coachella and Bumbershoot, I was dead tired by the time the end hit. But that song jsut woudlnt let me stop dancing. One thing I was incredibly thankful for, was the slow songs they played. Tribal Connection during thier first set, then Alcohol during their encore. They provide a much needed rest for everyone in the crowd. I was also insanely overjoyed they played Mala Vida though. I had this feeling the entire time they werent going to play it, but when they did, my girlfriend and I went crazy. It was great.

Final impression: Still one of the greatest acts performing. It was totaly not the bands fault a number of people in the crowd were ass clowns. With that being said, I do have to mention, although their energy was intense and crazy as it always is live, it was nowhere near the calibre of Coachella. Eugene didnt have as much crowd interaction as he did at Coachella and his onstage antics were not as eccentric. Also, I dont know about the other Gogol shows on this tour, but one of the girls were missing! Eugene did let the crowd know she was missing the show, but he said she would be back. Im not sure wether it was Elizabeth or Pamela, but one of them were gone. That made a minor difference. Also, the guy who did the reggae kind of vocals on Not A Crime was on stage... but didnt perform his part. That was kind of weird to me. One thing that made a big difference though, they only took out the giant bass drum and cymbals out a couple times during the show. They only had em out a few times at Coachella, but they had them onstage a lot less at Bumbershoot and they played longer. And the biggest difference... they didnt do the bass drum crowd surf. That actually made a HUGE difference to me. It probably didnt to a lot of other people, but it did for me. I have a theory about that though. I think they may stop doing the bass drum surf... and build a legend out of it. So in the years to come, the people who actualy saw them do the bass drum surf, can have "bragging rights" of sorts. That or something a long those lines. It was funny though, after the show I could hear people saying "That was the best live band I have EVER seen!" "The enrgy they have is amazing" blah, blah, blah, blah. Stuff like that. All I could think was, it wasnt as good as Coachella. Then I started rethinking. Its funny because that show, WILL probably be one of, if not, THE BEST live show they have ever seen or will see.

All the things I mentioned above about Gogol Bordello not being as good as at Coachella, are just me nit-picking. They seriously are still are amazing live. I dont mean to discourage people from seeing them. The oposite actually. I am jsut being honest in my review. There is no doubt about it, they still are one of the best band performing today. I just think those of us who saw them at Coachella, got a very special treat. That will be a legendary show. This show, was great, still one of the best I have ever seen. But not legendary. Anyone who hasnt see Gogol Bordello MUST see them soon. See them before they get any bigger. The crowd for Gogol Bordello was massive.

Before this review gets any longer... I just want to saw, Bumershoot as a whole was fun. It wasnt an "experience" like Coachella, but it was just fun. It was a unique set up, with LOTS of other things to do when bands arent playing. However, at times the streets and paths would get so crowded it was hard to move. Especially when bands were just getting out. But I forgive them... because they had this HUGE fountain, that also doubled as a water park/cool down area.

If you stuck around to read this whole thing, then good on ya! I am impressed. If you are just looking for band reviews, I bolded the 4 main band reviews. I would love to hear what people thought about Bumbershoot, and in both bands and the festival itself. And not only this day, all 3 days.

anti-square
09-03-2007, 03:02 AM
The difference between the San Diego show and coachella for me was that I already knew what to expect the second time around. At coachella, I was pleasantly surprised by the awesome performance they put on, and that set the bar extremely high for the san diego show. With that said, the bar was definitely reached, but not surpassed. The first time is always the best I guess.

TomAz
09-03-2007, 11:54 AM
All the things I mentioned above about Gogol Bordello not being as good as at Coachella, are just me nit-picking. They seriously are still are amazing live. I dont mean to discourage people from seeing them. The oposite actually. I am jsut being honest in my review. There is no doubt about it, they still are one of the best band performing today. I just think those of us who saw them at Coachella, got a very special treat. That will be a legendary show. This show, was great, still one of the best I have ever seen. But not legendary. Anyone who hasnt see Gogol Bordello MUST see them soon. See them before they get any bigger. The crowd for Gogol Bordello was massive.

it's like you're apologizing for the content of your review.

rage patton
09-03-2007, 12:02 PM
Im not really appologizing. I was just saying this show just wasn't as good as their Coachella performance, but it was still an amazing show nonetheless. And as I said, it will probably one of the best shows most of those people there will ever see.

tessalasset
09-03-2007, 12:21 PM
ive been on such an avett brothers trip this month. their cd has not come out of my car's stereo. i was so excited for them to play el rey and all the crew guys turned into fans that night. they're really freaking good.

full on idle
09-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Sean Paul is awesome. Shook our booties to the floor.

gaypalmsprings
09-03-2007, 04:01 PM
So, I am just getting around to my review of Day 1 (Sept 1) of Bumershoot 2007. First off, I was originaly planning on going all 3 days... but since Vegoose came along, I cut it short to one day. Also, photos and band setlists (if possible) to come as soon as possible. Anyways, on with the review.

My girlfriend and I arrived around 12:30 and parked our car by a giant pink elephant. We made it to the gates around 12:45 and heard this band playing on a stage right beside one of entrances. Since this was my first time at bumbershoot, we were going to explore the grounds before we saw any bands... but there was something familiar about this band that we were hearing to our left, so we went to go check them out. It turned out, they were this band called "The Cops"... never heard of them before.
THE COPS REVIEW: However, there was still something familiar about the lead singer's voice. About a song or two in, it came to me! It wasnt his voice I recognized, it was that his voice sounded almost exactly like Joe Strummers! I dont know what his voice sounds like on their recorded music... but live he sounded an amazing amount like Joe Strummer. They also had kind of a Clash flair, but more rock n' roll-ish. Anyways, they played for an hour and they were a great way to start off the day.

Next on the list, we went to go find one of the comedy stages. I just really wanted to check out Fred Armisen (SNL, Anchorman, etc.) However, after a frantic search and finally getting to the theatre... it turns out it was full and we were turned away. I then decided to call some of my friends, to see if they were going to make it... but it occurred to me I left my cell phone in the car. Good thing about Bumbershoot... they do have in and out privledges. However, I was to lazy to walk to my car, so I decided to find a pay phone. Well, we searched, and we searched, and we searched. We probably asked 10 people if they knew where a cell phone was. And after about an epic half-hour quest... we found a pay phone! As it turns out... our friends werent able to make it anyways. Bitches.

QUICK AVETT BROS. REVIEW: Fast forward a couple hours... and its 4:45 and we are infront of a stage waiting for the Avett Brother. I missed these guys at Coachella, and after watching some youtube videos, I decided I majorly regretted it. Unfortunately, the Aggrolites were playing at 5:45, so I knew I was gonna have so miss some of the Avett Brothers. As luck would have it, The Avett Bros. were having some major sound issues and come on stage right around 5. Jebus Murphy can they ever rock an acoustic guitar, banjo and stand up bass! I only stayed for about 20 minutes, but what I saw, I absolutely loved! I would love to get another chance to see them. However... it was time to get a good spot for the Aggrolites.

Sure enough, I got a great spot for the Aggrolites, and met some really cool people there too. We met this guy named Slut and his girlfriend Paige. If you were at Bumbershoot, you probably got a picture of him and his foot+ long... blonde mohawk. We pretty much hung out with them for the rest of the night, and he probably got asked for, not kidding, 100 pictures. I had no idea mohawks were that amazing of a thing.

THE AGGROLITES REVIEW: The Aggrolites hit the stage right at 5:45. For the first little while of the show, the people at the front were dancing, and skankin along with the reggae, reggae music. But the rest of the crowd seemed to only be bobbing their heads. However, all of a sudden at about 15-20 there was a night and day difference in the crowd. Suddenly EVERYONE was dancing, skankin, jumping, moshing, and even got a train going through the crowd. From then on, the band seemed to realize the crowds sudden energy jump and they slammed the fuckin reggae down hard and dirty! The crowd was eating them up as much as they were feeding off the crowd. For such a laid back, feel good reggae band, they rocked hard! They didnt even speed up their music at the live show, they just put so much life and soul into the music, you couldnt hep but dance and sing. They then left the stage right at their scheduled time at 6:45, and the roadies came on stage and started packing their stuff up. However, the crowd just kept on cheering. Then everyone started chanting "Encore! Encore!" And I could see the stage manager talking to the sound people. Then looking back stage, making motions... sure enough The Aggrolites came back on stage and did an encore! Totaly unplaned. For that, Bumbershoot get extra points for allowing spur of the moment stuff. Their encore was great too, it included a medely of songs from The Clash, Toots and the Maytails and Sublime. Great, great show! If anyone gets the chance to see them, I suggest you go check em out.

Not only that though, we met the Aggrolites after the show. It was during an Autograph session, but nonetheless, they were really cool. Really funny guys. I talked to the lead singer about Yo Gabba Gabba, and he just laughed and said "You caught that eh?" He also went on to say that Christan Jacobs (lead singer of The Aquabats and creator of the show) is one of the coolest, nicest and funniest guys he knows.

Then after that, was food and anticipation... Gogol Bordello was up next! THE reason I was going to this. Their Coachella performance has forever been imprinted on my mind, and was not gonna give up another chance to see them. However, it was still almost an hour and a half away, so we went and got dinner. Right after the act that was on before Gogol was one, I went to get as close to the front as I could. Immediately, I knew somthing was different. I couldnt get to the front, and it was still 45 minutes till they started. At Coachella, I got their 15 minutes before they started and I was basically at the gate. I was still close at bumbershoot, but still probably 4 or 5 rows away, but still. I was also sort of distured because a couple feet away from me, were some bros screaming "GYPSYS RULE!" and shit like that, when obviously, they know jack shit about gypsy culture. I was hoping all the bros would be at Panic! At The Disco... but that wasnt the case. ANYWAYS. The banner droped and the crowd went nuts. However, it was still 10 minutes till starting time so I took a few quick pictures of the stage before the band started, just in case I couldnt during the show. (Turned out to be a good idea... I didnt get any pictures during the show) A few minutes later... it was time for the main event....

GOGOL BORDELLO REVIEW: Let me start off by saying, the band was amazing! Their energy level was high and Eugene was as manic as ever! They sounded great, and the Super Taranta material sounded great live too. However, this performance pales greatly in comparisson to the Coachella performance. I will explain throughout this review. As soon as the band started, the crowd surged forward! People were pushing and shoving trying to get closer. I almost felt like I was at Rage Against The Machine or something like that. This was different then at Coachella already, because it took the crowd a good 30 seconds-a minute to respond at Coachella. But as soon as they did, it was a giant friendly gyspsy punk pary! Basicaly, the crowd was the reason this Gogol show wasnt the same experience. However, the crowd wasn't bad the whole time... the show had its highs and lows. They opened up with Ultimate, then played Immigrant Punk, then Sally then after they played Not A Crime. During those songs... I hated the crowd. I was thinking if the crowd contiuned like this, for much longer, I was gonna have to move further back and watch from (somewhat) of a distance. However, (I believe) the next song they played was Mishto! and, thank god, suddenly this Coachella vibe hit the crowd! It was amazing, during that song, it felt like what I felt at Coachella. Everyone was jumping and dancing together! It was what made the Coachella show so great, the music made people feel unified. There was no violent pushing, there was no hardcore moshing, no slam dancing. Just people dancing, jumping, spinning around in circles, laughing, smiling and having a genuinely good time. This feeling went through a couple of songs, including Wanderlust King, wich was one of my favorite songs of that entire show. But then, all of a sudden, the crowd started acting like douches again. And this fluxuated from time to time during the show. That was the major difference.

But yes, the band left the stage at, well I had no idea what the time was, but it was well before their time was up. So I knew an encore was coming. The entire encore was great! I forget which songs they played and in what order, but it included Alcohol, Mala Vida and Baro Faro/Undestrutable. Baro Faro has this amazing ability, to give you more energy and, at Bumbershoot apparently, to stop acting like douches. But seriously at both Coachella and Bumbershoot, I was dead tired by the time the end hit. But that song jsut woudlnt let me stop dancing. One thing I was incredibly thankful for, was the slow songs they played. Tribal Connection during thier first set, then Alcohol during their encore. They provide a much needed rest for everyone in the crowd. I was also insanely overjoyed they played Mala Vida though. I had this feeling the entire time they werent going to play it, but when they did, my girlfriend and I went crazy. It was great.

Final impression: Still one of the greatest acts performing. It was totaly not the bands fault a number of people in the crowd were ass clowns. With that being said, I do have to mention, although their energy was intense and crazy as it always is live, it was nowhere near the calibre of Coachella. Eugene didnt have as much crowd interaction as he did at Coachella and his onstage antics were not as eccentric. Also, I dont know about the other Gogol shows on this tour, but one of the girls were missing! Eugene did let the crowd know she was missing the show, but he said she would be back. Im not sure wether it was Elizabeth or Pamela, but one of them were gone. That made a minor difference. Also, the guy who did the reggae kind of vocals on Not A Crime was on stage... but didnt perform his part. That was kind of weird to me. One thing that made a big difference though, they only took out the giant bass drum and cymbals out a couple times during the show. They only had em out a few times at Coachella, but they had them onstage a lot less at Bumbershoot and they played longer. And the biggest difference... they didnt do the bass drum crowd surf. That actually made a HUGE difference to me. It probably didnt to a lot of other people, but it did for me. I have a theory about that though. I think they may stop doing the bass drum surf... and build a legend out of it. So in the years to come, the people who actualy saw them do the bass drum surf, can have "bragging rights" of sorts. That or something a long those lines. It was funny though, after the show I could hear people saying "That was the best live band I have EVER seen!" "The enrgy they have is amazing" blah, blah, blah, blah. Stuff like that. All I could think was, it wasnt as good as Coachella. Then I started rethinking. Its funny because that show, WILL probably be one of, if not, THE BEST live show they have ever seen or will see.

Before this review gets any longer... I just want to saw, Bumershoot as a whole was fun. It wasnt an "experience" like Coachella, but it was just fun. It was a unique set up, with LOTS of other things to do when bands arent playing. However, at times the streets and paths would get so crowded it was hard to move. Especially when bands were just getting out. But I forgive them... because they had this HUGE fountain, that also doubled as a water park/cool down area.

If you stuck around to read this whole thing, then good on ya! I am impressed. If you are just looking for band reviews, I bolded the 4 main band reviews. I would love to hear what people thought about Bumbershoot, and in both bands and the festival itself. And not only this day, all 3 days.

Cliff notes?

rage patton
09-03-2007, 04:14 PM
Sean Paul is awesome. Shook our booties to the floor.

Im not even joking, he was one of the main reasons I wanted to go on Sunday.
So FOI, did you decide not to go today (Monday)? Also, who did you decide to see, Gogol or Devotchka?

rage patton
09-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Cliff notes?

Bumbershoot is a cool unique festival. A little crowded, but its all good.

The Cops sounded a lot like the Clash.

The Avett Bros. knew how to rock the bajo, acoustic guitar and stand up bass like pros. Wish I coulda seen more.

The Aggrolites slammed down the reggae! After a slow start, the crowd dug them up and even cheered them back on stage for an unplanned encore. I met them after the show and they are really nice, cool guys.

Gogol Bordello were amazing, but not as good as at Coachella. The main reason being the crowd. They are still one of the best live bands out there today, and if you havent gotten a chance to see them, see them now before they get any bigger.

:)

frankl
09-04-2007, 12:28 AM
Well Bumbershoot is over and it's started raining in Seattle.

I wasn't as excited by this year's performances, but did enjoy these acts I'd never heard before: St. Vincent, Andrew Bird, My Brightest Diamond.

Also got to see Fergie sing "My Humps".

full on idle
09-04-2007, 01:09 AM
Im not even joking, he was one of the main reasons I wanted to go on Sunday.
So FOI, did you decide not to go today (Monday)? Also, who did you decide to see, Gogol or Devotchka?

We didn't go today. Last night didn't really end until this morning and everybody was kindof burnt out. I wanted to watch Lupe Fiasco but ah well. I ended up watching Gogol on Friday, mostly because you were hyping it. It was pretty intense. We started up pretty close to the front but two seconds after they took the stage we got the fuck out of dodge because we were getting pushed around in these giant waves and it was too much for my delicate sensibilities. I ended up in the beer area because I could watch from the center, but behind the barricade so no one would knock me over. Intense crowd. I love shit like that where everyone knows all the words and when to do the special handclaps. I'm glad I watched the gypsy punks.

I really liked Apples in Stereo on Sunday, me and these like 50 year old ladies in front of me were getting down to them. There were a lot of confused looking teenagers. The singer seems kindof neurotic. Stayed around for Art Brut, they rule. Probably the second best of the day for me, even though we had to leave a little early. The singer came out and ran through the whole crowd singing, did anybody else see that? He walked right past us. He's lost weight. They're a great band.

Well Bumbershoot is over and it's started raining in Seattle.
It's totally thunderstorming in Seattle right now and it's the first thunderstorm I've heard in almost a year. I love it. I made my friend open all the windows.

rage patton
09-04-2007, 08:49 AM
The crowd was pretty intense for Gogol Bordello that for sure. So I dont blame ya for going to the beer garden. That was probably a perfect spot to watch them. Glad you enjoyed them.
And I know what you mean about Apples in Stereo... I didnt watch them, but the same thing happened to me with another band. While I was watching the first band I saw on Saturday, The Cops, the whole crowd was standing still, but thier music was kind of dancable, or at least it made me and my girlfriend wanted to move. We ended up dancing next to this couple probably in thier late 40s. They were really funny and really nice.

Also, its raining here in Vancouver as well. Boo.

J~$$$
09-04-2007, 09:41 AM
Ohmega Watts? yay? nay?

full on idle
09-04-2007, 10:17 AM
I letchoo down.

J~$$$
09-04-2007, 10:25 AM
Itzallgood. Im sure invisiblerobots went to see him.

fatbastard
09-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Great review rage.

J~$$$
09-04-2007, 12:26 PM
Did anyone go to the Blue Scholars show? Anyone. I heard it was fanfuckintastic.

chiapet
09-04-2007, 01:55 PM
I didn't think the crowd was too bad for Gogol, and I was not too far back either. It was just insanely crowded. There were a few people nearby being really obnoxious, mostly really young chicks, who moved along quickly when realizing no one in the vicinity was going to put up with their shit.

Did you get any pictures? People at work were asking me if I'd gotten any... there is no way I could have taken my camera out at that show, I imagine it would have been lost within minutes.

The crowd at the San Francisco show (last Wednesday) was far worse, with a bunch of aggro little boys that were trying to start shit with any guy who got near them. Of course, they were too worn out to move even before the first encore!

I am still trying to piece together bumbershoot, I went for all three days, and because there were few bands I felt I *HAD* to see, I checked out a lot that I normally wouldn't have. It was a lot easier to check out partial sets and then move on.

This was my first year there (and first year at Coachella too) and some things I liked about Bumbershoot:

- Re-entry policy is definitely nice. It seemed like a lot of people showed up early to get mainstage show passes, or to check out one set, and then left until the headlining shows. Fine by me. There were also a number of restaurants and stores near the venue, making it easy to get real food instead of living on pizza and corn on the cob for three days.

- Real bathrooms with running water, soap, flushing toilets, that were kept pretty clean. No line most of the time, too.

- No noise bleedover between stages that I noticed. I also really liked how the bigger stages were laid out, it was pretty easy to get between the three stages that had the majority of bands I wanted to see -- made it quick and easy to check out a few bands per time slot.

- Bags not checked coming in, and able to bring in outside food, drinks, etc. Because they weren't checking bags, there was no line for entry any time I came in.

- The mainstage was a hassle to go to (this might sound like a complaint, hear me out) -- you couldn't take bottles (including the water bottles you just bought) in, bag searches, required passes for the night shows, long lines, etc. So, it kind of required a commitment to go to those shows -- once you got down there, you probably wouldn't want to go back through the lines again to check out other sets between mainstage shows. Especially at night, this meant a mass exodus of people away from the other stages, and made the general grounds much more tolerable.

full on idle
09-04-2007, 06:41 PM
I agree with chiapet about the main stage. That's why we skipped the Shins. It was a daunting line and everything outside of the arena was fun so we didn't want to go in. I'm glad we did for Sean Paul though.

frankl
09-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Pitchfork has some good pictures.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/45348-photos-bumbershoot-seattle-wa-0901-090307

rage patton
09-05-2007, 11:22 PM
Thanks for those pictures. Wow... Devandra Banhart is a hairy mess. Even more so than usual. I would have loved to see him though.
And those Gogol Bordello pictures weren't taken during thier Bumbershoot show.