PDA

View Full Version : My review of the Silversun Pickups show last night.

Stefinitely Maybe
08-31-2007, 05:38 AM
I missed the Pickups at Coachella and I was on the guestlist for last night's show because my ex-band were supporting, so I decided to go and check them out.

My ex-band played a decent set, although I still think a couple of them lack presence on stage, and the guy who replaced me on bass doesn't sing at all - he doesn't even have a mic - whereas I used to sing a lot of backing vocals. So a lot of the harmonies and vocal parts of the songs have been left out, and it sounds weird to me, but I guess you wouldn't notice it if you were hearing the songs for the first time. Anyway, they sounded okay, and the crowd reaction was all right, but not amazing.

In between bands some Japanese dude came up to me in the crowd and said he was a fan of my ex-band and he had been following us for a long time and he recognised me as the ex-bassist, from myspace. It was a little weird. He shook my hand and nodded his head a lot and seemed excited. I left to get a drink.

Then the Pickups came on and rocked the place. That drummer is a MACHINE. They played for about 90 minutes and the crowd loved it. They finished with a quieter song, sung by the female bassist, which reminded me a little of Bull In The Heather. The singer had a lot of energy and really connected with the crowd too. However, all of the songs sounded pretty samey, and there was nothing I could really sing along to or distinguish as a catchy tune. I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't really feel the need to see them again, and I own the album, but rarely listen to it.

So, it was a good show. I think my ex-band have better tunes, but need to work on their stage presence, whilst the opposite is true for the Pickups.

schoolofruckus
08-31-2007, 07:01 AM
The song that the girl sang was most likely their cover of "Creation Lake" by their friend band The Movies. Unless they've written a new one for her.

I wish they'd come back here and play somewhere small.

canexplain
08-31-2007, 07:02 AM
hey stef, i think the cd sounds like Lush or even the pumpkins some .... did you get that from them live .... cr****

ShyGuy75
08-31-2007, 07:18 AM
I love this band and would travel to hell to see them again for the fourth and half time. Can't stop listening to them.

"So, it was a good show. I think my ex-band have better tunes, but need to work on their stage presence, whilst the opposite is true for the Pickups."

Easy there mate. I think if you knew the words to the songs (no, not Lazy Eye), you would have a different outlook on all of this. Each song is a journey. They are not suppose to be "catchy".

fober
08-31-2007, 07:27 AM
They're like the Siamese Dream Smashing Pumpkins with Billy replaced by someone with a relatively tolerable singing voice.

Stefinitely Maybe
08-31-2007, 07:29 AM
hey stef, i think the cd sounds like Lush or even the pumpkins some .... did you get that from them live .... cr****

No I bought it when I was in LA, before Coachella this year. I can see some Pumpkins similarities, yeah.

[QUOTE=ShyGuy75;285640]Easy there mate. I think if you knew the words to the songs (no, not Lazy Eye), you would have a different outlook on all of this. Each song is a journey. They are not suppose to be "catchyQUOTE]

The production on the CD just really put me off ever listening to it. I'll give it another try though.

schoolofruckus
08-31-2007, 07:54 AM
The production on "Carnavas" is definitely sub-par in contrast to that of their first EP, "Pikul" (which has "Creation Lake" on it). And it's nowhere near as good as their live sound, though I do love the songs anyway.

DeltaSigChi4
08-31-2007, 07:58 AM
Silversun Pickups > Smashing Pumpkins

E

luckyface
08-31-2007, 08:38 AM

E

Delta's opinion < Anyone else's opinion

bballarl
08-31-2007, 08:44 AM
The Pumpkins are far better than Silversun Pickups, sorry.

What defines the Pumpkins for me is a kind of metal, arena rock side, and Silversun doesn't have that. Which isn't a criticism.

suprefan
08-31-2007, 08:52 AM

E

How did I know this was going to be posted if somebody said Silversun was meh at a show?

Delta's opinion < Anyone else's opinion

Very true.

PassiveTheory
08-31-2007, 09:35 AM
Of course the argument could be made that neither band would exist without My Bloody Valentine, and thus MBV > all, but that's just being fickle...

Either way, I think I want to see a Pickups full show sometime soon, given that I left their Coach set early to try and get in for Amy Wino (bad idea), but yeah, thanks for the review Stef.

ficklecycle
08-31-2007, 10:19 AM

E

Agreed.

bartelby
08-31-2007, 10:25 AM
I think they are more Gish-like than Siamese-like...

Another couple of solid albums though and I'll rate them above SP.

I must find this EP now!

idrive1life
09-01-2007, 06:33 AM
That girl was horrible at Coachella. I like Brian a lot. ;) He excitedly screamed looking at me ("MYOOOOOOOOOOZE", he is also a Muse fan, I found out later) when he saw my Muse shirt and I was like walking from a distance towards the autograph booth with Carnavas LP in my hand.

Silversun Pickups (Carnavas) > The (new) Smashing Pumpkins (and/or Zetgeist)

sonofhal
09-01-2007, 07:33 AM
I wanted to go to that show, but already had tickets to The Little Ones (who i enjoyed, but could in no way review due to the number of pints consumed).

SonicFlyer seem to be supporting everyone these days.

hitthenorth
09-01-2007, 12:33 PM
Well I never really cared for Smashing Pumpkins but I'm loving Silversun Pickups. Your right like, the drummer is a machine.

rampaige
09-01-2007, 02:28 PM
I saw Silversun at a small venue in OKC this past March. They were amazing. And the drummer was so much fun to watch. Afterwards my husband and I talked with the band while they did the meet and greet thing. They all seemed really nice and down to earth. And the bass player is freaking adorable.

MarkO
09-02-2007, 12:28 PM
Not once but twice I managed to miss the Pickups in Portland this past year.
:(