PDA

View Full Version : Coachella Cancellations

Somewhat Damaged
08-30-2007, 07:31 PM
I was listening to Future Sound of London's Accelerator at work today and enjoying it like I always do and wishing that they hadn't pulled out of Coachella in 2004. The excitement people on the board had over FSOL's inclusion in the lineup piqued my curiosity and I bought Lifeforms, We Have Explosive, and the previously mentioned Accelerator. I got really pumped to see them but before too long, they had withdrawn from the festival. But as I was thinking about the missed opportunity, I wondered when they would have performed exactly. They were scheduled for Saturday, if I recall correctly, and Kraftwerk were the Sahara headliners that day so the most likely time for FSOL would have been the Mark Farina slot, 9:00 - 10:30. Thing is, that just happened to be the exact time Radiohead played, so I probably would've missed FSOL anyway.

And thinking about that, I remembered how Wilco had also pulled out of Coachella that year because Jeff Tweedy entered rehab. Had Wilco played, they would have been on the main stage, right? And if they had, that would have bumped all the slots up a notch, which would have meant that either Radiohead closed the night at the same time as Kraftwerk or that somebody other than Radiohead would have closed out the main stage.

That being said, aside from Doves and Cocteau Twins, the past few years haven't really seen the cancellation of any major acts, have they? Although I must say, those examples from '04 really turned out to benefit me (and I'm sure more than a few others who would've cursed Paul Tollett for creating those conflicts). And while Wilco has made good on the "raincheck," what do you suppose is the likelihood of any of the other bands finally making an appearance?

psychic friend
08-30-2007, 07:33 PM
one word: paragraphs

dorkfish
I believe Sparta played in Wilco's spot... I could be wrong.

bballarl
22-20s pulled out in '04, when I was really excited to see them. They played the year before but I didn't go. Then they broke up. At least they put out a live EP.

gaypalmsprings
one word: paragraphs

word

Somewhat Damaged
08-30-2007, 07:38 PM
Actually, there are 3 paragraphs. The first one ends with the following sentence: "Thing is, that just happened to be the exact time Radiohead played, so I probably would've missed FSOL anyway." The second paragraph ends even more conspicuously. So "word" invalidated.

EDIT: does that make it easier for you to read?

dorkfish
08-30-2007, 07:39 PM
fine. paragraph spacing.

gaypalmsprings
08-30-2007, 07:40 PM
uh huh, Last edited by Somewhat Damaged : Today at 07:39 PM. Reason: Negating the potential for snide remarks about using paragraphs, which I clearly did.

suprefan
08-30-2007, 07:42 PM
I believe Sparta played in Wilco's spot... I could be wrong.

Yes they were in Wilcos spot, We Are Scientists ''technically'' cancelled this year. But it was a premature confirmation on the ine up, so this year had no cancellations which was nice. nothign major has happend though. 2006 had a few things. Hard Fi went bye bye and The Subways too.

psychic friend
08-30-2007, 07:45 PM
cancellation of any major acts or minor acts sucks. 'line up subject to change' is a sad reality of concert biz. There could be any number of reasons a band doesnt play.. we dont advertise them until they commit. (even if they advertise it first). and still that is not enough sometimes. And if it works for them to come back, yay. (not working could be a bazillion reasons we wont publish for their own privacy)

bmack86
08-30-2007, 07:45 PM
T. Raumschmiere canceled because he almost died.

dorkfish
08-30-2007, 07:47 PM
was there ever a reason for T Raumschmiere to cancel in 2004? it seemed like they canceled the day of the show, because there was no announcement besides a piece of paper at the tent saying that they weren't performing.

dorkfish
08-30-2007, 07:47 PM
ha, i like typing a question. then getting juice. finishing. submitting. then seeing the post above.

psychic friend
08-30-2007, 07:48 PM
was there ever a reason for T Raumschmiere to cancel in 2004?

could be a bazillion reasons we wont publish for their own privacy

i personally dont know but if i did, i wouldnt write about it.

bmack86
08-30-2007, 07:53 PM
He announced that there was a severe medical emergency, something like his appendix rupturing or something.

orbit
08-30-2007, 09:16 PM
was there ever a reason for T Raumschmiere to cancel in 2004? it seemed like they canceled the day of the show, because there was no announcement besides a piece of paper at the tent saying that they weren't performing.

T. Raumschmiere is one guy.

Did Richard D James say why he didn't perform on 2001?

GTI_GRL
08-30-2007, 09:38 PM
Yeah its a little of subject, but it really isn't. Coachella Cancellations is a little vague...lol

How many artists signed autographs at the Virgin tent this year? It seemed like most canceled, is that usual? I didn't really pay attention in 06, nor did I hear anything about artist no shows that year. It appears that artists agree to sign at the Virgin tent to sell more albums at the venue. Old timers, is that usual?

Boourns
08-31-2007, 01:07 AM
Jem cancelled in 2004. Jimmy Eat World got added late and dropped out ten seconds later. I believe there was also some concern about the Flaming Lips dropping out, but obviously that did not end up happening.

Okay, so far we have...
Wilco
Future Sounds of London
22-20's
Jem
Jimmy Eat World
Coctease Twins
Doves
We Are Scientists
Hard-fi
The Subways
T. Raumschmiere

And yeah, there sure were a lot of cancellations at the autograph tent this year. CSS didn't even properly cancel...they just didn't show up. What the hell? That sucked because I stood out there frying in the sun without shade or water for over an hour.

Was anyone at all surprised that Amy Winehouse cancelled her autograph session? I'm surprised she even performed. Oh yeah, Amy and her crew stole Jarvis Cocker and co.'s beer. Class act.

I read on a couple music blogs back in the day that the second 2004 headliner was going to be Nine Inch Nails, but Trent cancelled because he wasn't anywhere near ready to put out a new album.

breakjaw
08-31-2007, 01:31 AM
Madonna should have cancelled.

crazzz2007
08-31-2007, 01:33 AM
Flaming Lips might as well have canceled.

Stefinitely Maybe
08-31-2007, 02:20 AM
I was upset about these:

Jimmy Eat World
Doves
Hard-fi
The Subways

Didn't care too much about the rest.

gaypalmsprings
08-31-2007, 05:01 AM
T. Raumschmiere canceled because he almost died.

It's not on Wikipedia, so I think his health was fine.

algunz
08-31-2007, 09:32 AM
Flaming Lips might as well have canceled.

Agreed. But, atleast the few songs we got were great.

Cake wanted to cancel half way through their set. They were pissed about going on late. They were passed about "all the noise" coming from the main stage. Babies!!

ficklecycle
08-31-2007, 10:40 AM
So what happened to Erol Alkan?

rage patton
08-31-2007, 10:41 AM
I really wanted to see We Are Scientists this year.

suprefan
08-31-2007, 10:47 AM
I was upset about these:

Jimmy Eat World

They were on the line up for like 30 sconds then it dissappeared so unless there is something else I never found out they were just a glitch more or less on the line up. I wish I couldve had a screenshot of the line up before the cancellations and whatnot happend in 2004. Just think if it all stayed though, Wilco, Future Sounds, JEW, and T Ramschmiere with the rest of it.

I really wanted to see We Are Scientists this year.

Kind of wasnt bummer a lot because it wouldve ended up being a conflict on friday I think for sure. I like them a lot so it will be cool to see them next year with another album under their belt, Mojave tent for sure though.

TickleMeElmo
08-31-2007, 01:07 PM
So what happened to Erol Alkan?

That wasn't really a cancellation. He never really confirmed for this year, he already had gigs booked and GV prematurely put him on the lineup,

DeltaSigChi4
08-31-2007, 01:07 PM
JEW

Anti-semite.

E

malcolmjamalawesome
08-31-2007, 01:09 PM
Erol Alkan was too busy blowing up HARDCORE ALL OF THE TIME and dropping SICK BEATS on EVERYBODY to confirm

bmack86
08-31-2007, 01:30 PM
I definitely remember it being posted on the board in 04 that he canceled due to some emergency surgery.

menikmati
09-01-2007, 09:06 AM
Jimmy Eat World were on the lineup for about a week, before dropping out. Also I'm fairly confident that either The White Stripes or The Killers (more likely the latter) were signed onto to pre-headline the first day of 2005 before Coldplay, but dropped out, causing the promoters to scramble and offer Bauhaus a weekend to either yay or nay an idea of reuniting and playing there.

menikmati
09-01-2007, 09:07 AM
Also, it wasn't really a cancellation, but Evil Nine never showed up for the early slot in 2005. I think it was due to some miscommunication between the band and promoters.

PassiveTheory
09-01-2007, 09:54 AM
Which they fixed by giving them the final slot of the night this year... No excuse to be late for that, eh? No matter that I'm still irritated about that time slot and the trouble it caused me...

I also remember very clearly that Amy Winehouse was prevalent on everyone's lists of "who's going to drop out this year?", and I think it's a testament to the power of Jack Daniels that she was able to make it on stage this year.

orbit
09-01-2007, 10:02 AM
Evil Nine should be booked again, their new album -after 3 years since the last one- is supposed to be out for next january.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-02-2007, 12:09 PM
I was listening to Future Sound of London's Accelerator at work today and enjoying it like I always do and wishing that they hadn't pulled out of Coachella in 2004. The excitement people on the board had over FSOL's inclusion in the lineup piqued my curiosity and I bought Lifeforms, We Have Explosive, and the previously mentioned Accelerator. I got really pumped to see them but before too long, they had withdrawn from the festival. But as I was thinking about the missed opportunity, I wondered when they would have performed exactly. They were scheduled for Saturday, if I recall correctly, and Kraftwerk were the Sahara headliners that day so the most likely time for FSOL would have been the Mark Farina slot, 9:00 - 10:30. Thing is, that just happened to be the exact time Radiohead played, so I probably would've missed FSOL anyway.

And thinking about that, I remembered how Wilco had also pulled out of Coachella that year because Jeff Tweedy entered rehab. Had Wilco played, they would have been on the main stage, right? And if they had, that would have bumped all the slots up a notch, which would have meant that either Radiohead closed the night at the same time as Kraftwerk or that somebody other than Radiohead would have closed out the main stage.

That being said, aside from Doves and Cocteau Twins, the past few years haven't really seen the cancellation of any major acts, have they? Although I must say, those examples from '04 really turned out to benefit me (and I'm sure more than a few others who would've cursed Paul Tollett for creating those conflicts). And while Wilco has made good on the "raincheck," what do you suppose is the likelihood of any of the other bands finally making an appearance?

I was a huge fan of FSOL back in the day..."Dead Cities" was one of my 1st electronic music albums..quite epic in my book. However, I had mixed feelings about them dropping out in 04' since they were due the same day as Radiohead it would have killed me to the my camping spot at the mainstage to have seen FSOL. So when they dropped out it was a great relief. So I am in the same boat as you. Though I still hope they make it back to Coachella in the near future. As far I know most bands that drop out have never returned bar Wilco. Aphex Twin, The Cocteau Twins, The Doves and FSOL have never made it back after dropping out...I know there is more examples but those stick out the strongest.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-02-2007, 12:11 PM
Jem cancelled in 2004. Jimmy Eat World got added late and dropped out ten seconds later. I believe there was also some concern about the Flaming Lips dropping out, but obviously that did not end up happening.

Okay, so far we have...
Wilco
Future Sounds of London
22-20's
Jem
Jimmy Eat World
Coctease Twins
Doves
We Are Scientists
Hard-fi
The Subways
T. Raumschmiere

And yeah, there sure were a lot of cancellations at the autograph tent this year. CSS didn't even properly cancel...they just didn't show up. What the hell? That sucked because I stood out there frying in the sun without shade or water for over an hour.

Was anyone at all surprised that Amy Winehouse cancelled her autograph session? I'm surprised she even performed. Oh yeah, Amy and her crew stole Jarvis Cocker and co.'s beer. Class act.

I read on a couple music blogs back in the day that the second 2004 headliner was going to be Nine Inch Nails, but Trent cancelled because he wasn't anywhere near ready to put out a new album.

Jem did make it back in 2005. I saw her set and it was great.