PDA

View Full Version : Its raining important NYC club founders...

Mr.Nipples
08-29-2007, 10:25 AM
there, i followed protocol...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070829/ap_en_mu/obit_hilly_kristal

CBGB founder Hilly Kristal dies

NEW YORK - Hilly Kristal, whose dank Bowery rock club CBGB served as the birthplace of the punk rock movement and a launching pad for bands like the Ramones, Blondie and the Talking Heads, has died. He was 75.

Kristal, who lost a bitter fight last year to stop the club's eviction from its home of 33 years, died Tuesday at Cabrini Hospital after a battle with lung cancer, his son Mark Dana Kristal said Wednesday.

Last October, as the club headed toward its final show with Patti Smith, Kristal was using a cane to get around and showing the effects of his cancer treatment. He was hoping to open a Las Vegas incarnation of the infamous venue that opened in 1973.

"He created a club that started on a small, out-of-the-way skid row, and saw it go around the world," said Lenny Kaye, a longtime member of the Patti Smith Group. "Everywhere you travel around the world, you saw somebody wearing a CBGB T-shirt."

While the club's glory days were long past when it shut down, its name transcended the venue and become synonymous with the three-chord thrash of punk and its influence on generations of musicians worldwide.

The club also became a brand name for a line of clothing and accessories, even guitar straps; its store, CBGB Fashions, was moved a few blocks away from the original club, but remained open.

"I'm thinking about tomorrow and the next day and the next day, and going on to do more with CBGB's," Kristal told The Associated Press last October.

Kristal started the club in 1973 with the hope of making it a mecca of country, bluegrass and blues — called CBGB & OMFUG, for "Other Music For Uplifting Gourmandisers" — but found few bands to book. It instead became the epicenter of the mid-1970s punk movement.

"There was never gourmet food, and there was never country bluegrass," his son said Wednesday.

Besides the Ramones and the Talking Heads, many of the other sonically defiant bands that found frenzied crowds at CBGB during those years became legendary — including Smith, Blondie and Television.

Smith said at the venue's last show that Kristal "was our champion and in those days, there were very few."

Throughout the years, CBGB had rented its space from the building's owner, the Bowery Residents' Committee, an agency that houses homeless people.

In the early 2000s, a feud broke out when the committee went to court to collect more than $300,000 in back rent from the club, then later successfully sought to evict it. By the time it closed, CBGB had become part museum and part barroom.

At the club's boarded-up storefront Wednesday morning, fans left a dozen candles, two bunches of flowers and a foam rubber baseball bat — an apparent tribute to the Ramones' classic "Beat on the Brat." A spray-painted message read: "RIP Hilly, we'll miss you, thank you."

Other survivors include his wife, Karen, and daughter, Lisa.

canexplain
08-29-2007, 10:29 AM
he probably died because of those asshole owners that took the club ... i went there 3 times back in the day ... cr****

JustSteve
08-29-2007, 10:41 AM
took the club from him? he repotedly owed hundreds of thousands of dollars on it, sounds like they let him keep it far longer than many landlord's would.

J~$$$
08-29-2007, 10:49 AM
The city should have stepped in a designated it a NYC landmark.

disgustipated
08-29-2007, 10:51 AM
Absolutely!

thinnerair
08-29-2007, 11:45 AM
The city should have stepped in a designated it a NYC landmark.

such crap.

J~$$$
08-29-2007, 11:47 AM
???

bug on your lip
08-29-2007, 11:47 AM
Don't make God angry or another Ramone gets it !!!!

thinnerair
08-29-2007, 11:58 AM
???

!!!
i meant it was crap when everyone was petitioning for the city to make it a landmark and the city just procrastinated until CBGB got booted from the spot. It's shitty.

J~$$$
08-29-2007, 12:02 PM
ahhhhh......How much did they sell the building for? They wanted to make tax money on the building not spend it. Thats fucking bull shit. Music history is so important I may nominate Cr*** to be put up as a national landmark.

thinnerair
08-29-2007, 12:06 PM
the surrounding areas are all homeless shelters and rehabilitation centers, so down the paper trail, the city owns part of it. developers are trying to re-locate the shelters so they can put up condos and developments all over there. new york doesn't need anymore fucking condos.

canexplain
08-29-2007, 12:13 PM
ahhhhh......How much did they sell the building for? They wanted to make tax money on the building not spend it. Thats fucking bull shit. Music history is so important I may nominate Cr*** to be put up as a national landmark.

tnx, can i be one of those ones with my arm out so the pigeons have a place to sit and watch stupid human tricks :) cr****

J~$$$
08-29-2007, 12:14 PM
I bet this is the work of that goddamn dog Trouble and those meddling kids. He murder Helmsley and made sure that he was in Cahoots with Giulianii and the Suadi Boys before carrying out 9-11, so he could boot Kristal and his club to put up condos......yes.....

Seriously, you know the developer is in some city officials pocket in NYC. A brother or a cousin or some shit....kick backs are a mother fucker.

fatbastard
08-29-2007, 12:20 PM
took the club from him? he repotedly owed hundreds of thousands of dollars on it, sounds like they let him keep it far longer than many landlord's would.

Is this person related to you?
http://badattitudes.com/MT/archives/Leona%20Helmsley.jpg

canexplain
08-29-2007, 12:25 PM
Is this person related to you?
http://badattitudes.com/MT/archives/Leona%20Helmsley.jpg

she is sooooo scary .... tammy helmsley .... oh and on cbgb's ... i got three "rock stripes" from them (ramones, television and talking heads) so i am glad i went when i could ... it would be like closing red rocks here .... shoot em all .... cr****

thinnerair
08-29-2007, 12:32 PM
The last good show I saw @ CBGB was Helmet.
They tore the place up. They went in with no set list and just had the crowd pick songs for them to play. It wasn't the original lineup, in fact I think the drummer was the dude from ANTHRAX. They did do something like 28 songs or some shit like that.

fatbastard
08-29-2007, 12:33 PM
Ron, you seen ramones, television and talking heads at CBGBs?

canexplain
08-29-2007, 12:41 PM
Ron, you seen ramones, television and talking heads at CBGBs?

yea, i had to be sometime in the 70's when i was stationed in nashville ... the base i was at was a training base and all the pilots had to have flying time, so we would fly to bases all over the US, just for the weekend or even for lunch sometimes .. it sure was fun back then, not that i am not having fun now ... cr****

bug on your lip
08-29-2007, 12:55 PM
yea, i had to be sometime in the 70's when i was stationed in nashville ... the base i was at was a training base and all the pilots had to have flying time, so we would fly to bases all over the US, just for the weekend or even for lunch sometimes .. it sure was fun back then, not that i am not having fun now ... cr****

+ 146

bballarl
08-29-2007, 12:57 PM
They tore the place up. They went in with no set list and just had the crowd pick songs for them to play. It wasn't the original lineup, in fact I think the drummer was the dude from ANTHRAX. They did do something like 28 songs or some shit like that.

Oh damn. They tore it up when they played the Troub last year. Such a killer live band.

fatbastard
08-29-2007, 12:58 PM
You have seen alot of music in your day. Just impressed to see someone with that much music under their belt and still interested in what's "next".

bballarl
08-29-2007, 01:01 PM
I want to meet Ron in person and pick his brain.

fatbastard
08-29-2007, 01:10 PM
I want to meet Ron in person and pick his brain.

Let's hope he's on season 2 of The All New Yablo Show.

canexplain
08-29-2007, 01:22 PM
You have seen alot of music in your day. Just impressed to see someone with that much music under their belt and still interested in what's "next".

I actually get flack for my music adventures …. My same age buds all think I listen to and go to crap concerts …. I could have not spent so much money on music but then so what (I have two big screens , do I need three …. I have 2 laptops and 2 top desktops and about 4 others that are just old , and 8 monitors lol … do I need more ..probably not) ….my house would be paid off, but I only owe for 6 more years anyway …. But I just love music if you haven’t guessed ….. that is why Coachella is the best for music … fresh, vibrant, and current (usually) … cr****

fatbastard
08-29-2007, 01:26 PM
I hear you. Take it from someone who is looking from outside your world. You have been making the right decision(s). You may want to retire a couple of those monitors:-)

canexplain
08-29-2007, 01:34 PM
I hear you. Take it from someone who is looking from outside your world. You have been making the right decision(s). You may want to retire a couple of those monitors:-)

i just have a hard time tossing electronics ... doesnt matter what it is ... old headphones, mp3 players, tv's, and of course like i said pc's and monitors ... i bet a few of them wouldnt even work with vista anyway .... and tygerlady would love it if i threw some stuff away :) ... btw gang, i hope you wont put a "raining cr****" thread here ... i have to get a double (or maybe triple) bypass in the next few months ... grrrrrr ... but i have to wait till after vegoose :) there are priorities ......cr****

disgustipated
08-29-2007, 01:35 PM

They did the same thing a few years back during SXSW. MF Doom was before them..wierd.

Yeah it was the Anthrax drummer Charlie Benante. They took requests and played for almost 3 hours. The last time I saw them Charlie wasnt with them anymore.

mob roulette
08-29-2007, 01:38 PM
+ 146

I'm going to go ahead and kick it up to an even 200. No offense, Bug, but you're kind of lowballing him here. Saying.

fatbastard
08-29-2007, 01:50 PM
i just have a hard time tossing electronics ... doesnt matter what it is ... old headphones, mp3 players, tv's, and of course like i said pc's and monitors ... i bet a few of them wouldnt even work with vista anyway .... and tygerlady would love it if i threw some stuff away :) ... btw gang, i hope you wont put a "raining cr****" thread here ... i have to get a double (or maybe triple) bypass in the next few months ... grrrrrr ... but i have to wait till after vegoose :) there are priorities ......cr****

Double bypass? I have never been under the knife but it sounds scary. They prep you for hours so that you can't "get a drink on" before the procedure. he good news is that this procedure is so common now days that the chances of anything going wrong are real low. Worst case scenario; you die. It sounds like you have lived and loved more than most. Remember that old movie with Rosalind Russell, "life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death". I'm sure you will be rested and ready for 2008.

breakjaw
08-29-2007, 01:53 PM
I'm going to go ahead and kick it up to an even 200. No offense, Bug, but you're kind of lowballing him here. Saying.

Agreed.Television at CBGB's back in the day??!!Worth at least 200 alone.

canexplain
08-29-2007, 02:12 PM
Agreed.Television at CBGB's back in the day??!!Worth at least 200 alone.

i dont deserve points for just being somewhere do i lol .. maybe next year i can make it to the points board ... if i try reallllly hard :) cr****