PDA

View Full Version : In-depth review of Crowded House/Pete Yorn/Liam Finn tonight

bballarl
08-29-2007, 12:37 AM
I was pretty down before going to this show, to the point of almost not going. I'm so glad I went. The entire evening was awesome.

The Greek is a really beautiful venue. I had never been up in the hills like that before, and I was impressed by the houses and view and all of that. The walk to the venue wasn't bad at all...really scenic obviously. Anyway, I got in line at the box office to buy a cheap ticket when a guy with a backstage pass approached me. He asked me if I wanted a ticket, I asked what section, where it was, etc. He told me I could have it for whatever I wanted to pay. It was a $65 ticket, and I didn't plan on paying the venue or a scalper more than $40, so I paid him that. I ended up with a really good seat right above the walking area that seperates the lower and upper sections (section B). So that was exciting.

Liam Finn (Neil's son, who also is part of Crowded House when they play live) opened the show with a roughly 15 minute set. He played solo and electric, but with a litany of pedals. He would sample himself and build the songs as they went along, sometimes even going to drums after getting all the guitar parts looped and playing. He was really fun, had good songs, and sings like his dad, which is to say he's a very fucking good singer. He really brought a lot of energy to the beginning of the show.

Next was Pete Yorn. I have only heard his first record, and that was a long time ago...right around when it came out. He and his band sounded great. He brings kind of a country-rock vibe, mixed in with guitar pop and introspective stuff. He and his band reminded me a lot of the Jayhawks or other so called alt-country groups. I'll dl all his albums before I buy them, but if this set was any indication of their quality I should be picking them up. A really good opening set.

Between Pete Yorn and Crowded House I went to pick up Liam Finn's CD. I only had $10 on me and the CD was $15, so I was kind of bummed. But the guy next to me in line gave me $5. I don't know what was up with people tonight, but the overall vibe of the show was amazing. People were really nice and laid back. I couldn't believe that a stranger would do something like that at a concert (or anywhere for that matter). I couldn't thank him enough, and it really made my night.

Crowded House put on an amazing show. Their stage set-up, light show, and all-around performance was extremely professional and well done. The banter between songs was a lot of fun. There was far too much to recount it all here, but highlights included Neil asking a woman to walk down the lighted steps off to the side in time to the music (I think it was to "Pour Le Monde"), Neil talking about Split Enz, and Neil and Nick talking about the Observatory and lunar eclipse. Anyway, setlist (missing a few bits, if anyone knows them they can fill them in):

Something So Strong
Say That Again
Don't Stop Now
Fall At Your Feet
English Trees
(I'm a mess, I'm a message boy)
Walked Her Way Down
Whispers and Moans
Silent House
Private Universe
(Paris) (Mark Hart on piano, joined by band)
Don't Dream It's Over
Happy Together (Turtles cover)
Pineapple Head
(Fireplace by myself) (Neil on piano, fucking around)
Pour Le Monde
Locked Out
Distant Sun

Encore:
Weather With You
World Where You Live
Mean To Me
Better Be Home Soon

This was just a really, really good show. Musically, the vibe, the people, the venue, everything. It really put me in a good mood. Crowded House are such a good live group. I'm glad I got to see them in an environment that was a little more friendly than pre-Rage Coachella. The sing-alongs were awesome. Fantastic show.

theburiedlife
08-29-2007, 12:38 AM
Glad you had a good time. But i must ask, where did you park? From what i saw at the AF concert it was horrific.

bballarl
08-29-2007, 12:39 AM
Off a street called Aberdeen...the side street started with a C...Crowley maybe? I can't remember. It worked out well though.

Yablonowitz
08-29-2007, 08:08 AM
Crowded House put on an amazing show. Their stage set-up, light show, and all-around performance was extremely professional and well done. The banter between songs was a lot of fun. There was far too much to recount it all here, but highlights included Neil asking a woman to walk down the lighted steps off to the side in time to the music (I think it was to "Pour Le Monde"), Neil talking about Split Enz, and Neil and Nick talking about the Observatory and lunar eclipse. Anyway, setlist (missing a few bits, if anyone knows them they can fill them in):

Something So Strong
Say That Again
Don't Stop Now
Fall At Your Feet
(Must be wiser now)
(I'm a mess, I'm a message boy)
Walked Her Way Down
Whispers and Moans
Silent House
Private Universe
(Paris) (Mark Hart on piano, joined by band)
Don't Dream It's Over
Happy Together (Turtles cover)
Pineapple Head
(Fireplace by myself) (Neil on piano, fucking around)
Pour Le Monde
Locked Out
Distant Sun

Encore:
Weather With You
World Where You Live
Mean To Me
Better Be Home Soon

This was just a really, really good show. Musically, the vibe, the people, the venue, everything. It really put me in a good mood. Crowded House are such a good live group. I'm glad I got to see them in an environment that was a little more friendly than pre-Rage Coachella. The sing-alongs were awesome. Fantastic show.

Awesome, Andrew. Are the songs in parenthesis ones you don't know the title of? If so, (must be wiser now) would be "English Trees" from their new album. While I think "Better Be Home Soon" is an awesome closer, I think I'd actually prefer them to sing "People Are Like Suns" which I think just may be the best song Neil Finn has ever written. I love their new album probably more than anyone else whose heard it...at least that I know of. It's so different from their last albums but so fucking solid and heavy and sad and beautiful all at the same time. (I'm NOT going to cry, I'm NOT going to cry.)
"Pour Le Monde" is also a great tune.

amyzzz
08-29-2007, 09:12 AM
Every time I've seen Crowded House, they've always put on a great show. I'm glad you had an awesome time.

Also, I will search for those streets when I go see Air next month. My hotel is 2 miles away so maybe I can just walk all the way there....

downingthief
08-29-2007, 09:26 AM
Thanks, Andrew. Great review. My jealousy is raging right now, though...would have loved to have seen them there.

amyzzz
08-29-2007, 09:28 AM
Yeah, I regret not going to the CH show here the day before Coachella. The camping-on-Thursday-night thing was way overrated. :p

bballarl
08-29-2007, 09:54 AM
Also, I will search for those streets when I go see Air next month. My hotel is 2 miles away so maybe I can just walk all the way there....

I believe it was a right off Vermont onto Aberdeen, then a right onto Inverness, then a left onto Cromwell (I think that was the name). But I even saw people park on Aberdeen.

John Peel is My Co-pilot
08-30-2007, 10:00 PM
I saw them at the gorgeous Pabst Theater in Milwaukee a couple of weeks back and was stunned at how good they were, not least because of a welcome lack of Rage douchemunches to fuck things up.

Neil killed the PA for a few minutes and had the entire audience, without any backing, sing the first 2 verses and choruses of Four Seasons In One Day. It was a hairs-on-the-back-of-the-neck moment...

bballarl
08-30-2007, 10:05 PM
He did that for Fall At Your Feet. It not only highlighted how amazing that melody is, but it sounded gorgeous as well.

bballarl
08-30-2007, 10:09 PM
How was the crowd at that show btw?

xxxxxxxxxx
08-31-2007, 12:25 AM
I was at the Oakland Paramount show. I got there in time to see the last 15 minutes. Enjoyed what I saw.

Jenniehoo
08-31-2007, 12:26 AM
Hey wait i think i've been there

John Peel is My Co-pilot
09-03-2007, 05:36 PM
How was the crowd at that show btw?

Full house and very knowledgeable, which surprised me. I half expected, after the various festivals this year, half of the crowd to fuck off after "Don't Dream It's Over", since that's the only track anyone seems to know!

They even made a convert of my wife who only went because she knows I'm a huge fan. Actually, we had a deal - she goes to Crowded House and I'll go to Gordon Lightfoot with her. So I better learn more than just the Edmund Fitzgerald song I guess!

Yablonowitz
09-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Full house and very knowledgeable, which surprised me. I half expected, after the various festivals this year, half of the crowd to fuck off after "Don't Dream It's Over", since that's the only track anyone seems to know!

They even made a convert of my wife who only went because she knows I'm a huge fan. Actually, we had a deal - she goes to Crowded House and I'll go to Gordon Lightfoot with her. So I better learn more than just the Edmund Fitzgerald song I guess!

"Sundown," request it in Mob's request thread. I like that song. I wish I had it.

bballarl
09-03-2007, 11:19 PM
From Losanjealous (pics and stuff included in the link):

http://www.losanjealous.com/2007/08/30/crowded-house-pete-yorn-liam-finn-the-greek-82807/

If the criteria for Indie music is complex plots, no big name stars (well, no big egos anyway) and no Hollywood endings, then you could make an argument that Crowded House may have unintentionally been one of the first in the genre. Throw in the lack of commercial success (in America at least) but abundant critical acclaim for later albums and the argument gets stronger. But I’m not even going to front. The main reason I went to see Crowded House was to hear their pop masterpiece “Don’t Dream It’s Over.” It’s one of those perfect pop songs that should be embedded in time capsules sent into outer space. Somewhere there are victims of extra-terrestrial breakups that would appreciate a free download. Not content to rest on their laurels, Crowded House came close to matching this perfection several times in their career, and songs like “Fall at Your Feet,” “Weather with You,” and “Better Be Home Soon” had most of the crowd dancing in unison and singing a capella. The band, reunited after over 10 years, kept a spontaneous feel to the set and both Neil and Mark took turns with solo performances during the night. This spontaneity, as Neil laughed later, was partially due to an old setlist that was taped to his keyboard. The band also inserted into the set a cover of The Turtles “Happy Together” to the delight of the audience. They played the song impromptu earlier that day on Jonesy’s Jukebox. Not to be outdone, opener Pete Yorn performed an inspired and energetic version of Peter Björn and John’s “Young Folks.” There seemed to be a good number of Yorn fans in the crowd that weren’t phased by Pete’s whistlesynching. One of the pleasant surprises of the night was the solo performance of Neil’s son Liam Finn. Liam has been a touring member of Crowded House during this tour and he went on stage prior to Yorn. He played drums, guitar, and theremin on three progressively rocked out songs from his debut album “I’ll Be Lightning.” Lastly, kudos go out to bassist Nick Seymour’s amazing set design, inspired by his own album artwork, which kept on changing throughout the night.

Setlist:

Something So Strong
Say That Again
Don’t Stop
Fall at You Feet
English Trees
(Neil Finn solo song – unknown title)
Walked Her Way Down
Whispers and Moans
Private Universe
(Mark Hart solo – unknown title)
Don’t Dream It’s Over
Happy Together (The Turtles cover)
Pineapple Head
Pour Le Monde
Locked Out
Distant Sun
[encore]
Weather With You
World Where You Live
Mean to Me
Better Be Home Soon

bballarl
09-03-2007, 11:27 PM
Fuck, they opened with Recurring Dream in Oakland. I wish I could have gone to that too. What a great live band. And a great band, period.

mob roulette
09-03-2007, 11:41 PM
y9RCyiC6odY

mob roulette
09-04-2007, 09:37 AM
I like Crowded House.

Yablonowitz
09-04-2007, 10:07 AM
I like Crowded House.

I made a Crowded House mix the summer before last when I was certain they were going to fade away into obscurity, especially after the loss of their drummer. I think my mix brought them back together and all of a sudden they were playing Coachella and having people flip them off and throw water bottles at them. It was amazing.

full on idle
09-04-2007, 10:19 AM
Hey wait i think i've been there

shudder

full on idle
09-04-2007, 10:20 AM
I made a Crowded House mix the summer before last when I was certain they were going to fade away into obscurity, especially after the loss of their drummer. I think my mix brought them back together and all of a sudden they were playing Coachella and having people flip them off and throw water bottles at them. It was amazing.

They got really hot on the 2007 Macy's elevator circuit, it was all big money time from there.

mob roulette
09-04-2007, 10:36 AM
Shit. I already changed my sig once today.

Yablonowitz
09-04-2007, 10:49 AM
They got really hot on the 2007 Macy's elevator circuit, it was all big money time from there.

You want to go? I'll lay down right now. Step off, Idle. I'll cut ya.

full on idle
09-04-2007, 10:51 AM
You're all hopped up on Mexican Train adrenaline. I ain't scurred.

Yablonowitz
09-04-2007, 10:53 AM
You're all hopped up on Mexican Train adrenaline. I ain't scurred.

Watch out, the fucking Mexican Train express is gonna roll over your trash talking sorry ass shit! WHOOO HOO! MEXICAN TRAIN COMING DOWN THE TRACKS BITCHES!

J~$$$
09-04-2007, 10:54 AM
Domino??

full on idle
09-04-2007, 10:56 AM
Money's on the mark.

full on idle
09-04-2007, 10:57 AM
/insert Tomaz comment "Gee willackers I don't get what's going on at all."

Yablonowitz
09-04-2007, 10:59 AM
Bye bye caco sig.