PDA

View Full Version : AIRPORT to FESTIVAL info

crooked
01-27-2007, 01:31 AM
I don't drive at all. The thing I am most worried about is how I am going to get from the airport to the festival. I haven't booked the flight yet because I don't want to book it until I know which airport is the best to go to in account of getting a ride from said airport to festival. My first choice is actually flying to LAX, even tho its the farthest away cos the flights are cheaper. So, is there a bus or train or cab that I can take from there to the grounds (and how much will it cost me?) What about for Ontario and Palm Springs?

invisiblerobots
01-27-2007, 01:32 AM
Palm Springs is, by far, the closest. Check the Carpool section for transport from there. LAX is the furthest away and the hardest to get to Coachella from, IMO.

crooked
01-27-2007, 01:35 AM
Palm Springs is, by far, the closest. Check the Carpool section for transport from there. LAX is the furthest away and the hardest to get to Coachella from, IMO.

how long of a drive from LAX to festival? and from Palm Springs & Ontario?

invisiblerobots
01-27-2007, 02:09 AM
There are so many variables involved. I'd advise flying into Palm Springs which is a 20-30 minute drive to Ind!o. The last time I drove from Ontario there were wildfires burning across the highway which made the trip about 5 hours but normally it should only take about 2 1/2 hours depending on traffic. LAX on a Friday, well I just couldn't give you an accurate estimate. It's gonna suck.

crooked
01-27-2007, 02:43 AM
There are so many variables involved. I'd advise flying into Palm Springs which is a 20-30 minute drive to Ind!o. The last time I drove from Ontario there were wildfires burning across the highway which made the trip about 5 hours but normally it should only take about 2 1/2 hours depending on traffic. LAX on a Friday, well I just couldn't give you an accurate estimate. It's gonna suck.

hmm well if it's only a 20-30 min drive to the festival from Palm Springs how much would that be in cab fare? ive heard $60+ but surely not for a half hour ride...?

Mystagogue
01-27-2007, 02:49 AM
hmm well if it's only a 20-30 min drive to the festival from Palm Springs how much would that be in cab fare? ive heard $60+ but surely not for a half hour ride...?

$50 or so sounds about right for a cab ride from the Palm Springs airport to Indio.

You can always ask a few different drivers and try to get one that'll give you a flat rate off the meter.

paranoidsamdroid
01-28-2007, 07:39 PM
What about taking a bus there from the airport?
How could I find some info on that?

Courtney
01-28-2007, 07:51 PM
What about taking a bus there from the airport?
How could I find some info on that?

Which airport?

Bus from Los Angeles to Indio: http://www.greyhound.com/
Bus from Palm Springs to Indio: http://www.sunline.org/

But neither of these options is going to get your very close to the Polo Fields. Shared rides are a much better way to go.

Adam2uBer
01-28-2007, 09:26 PM
how long of a drive from LAX to festival? and from Palm Springs & Ontario?
I'll just say how long it would take from when you get ON the freeway until the time you get OFF. Once you get off the freeway...it will take up to an hour because of traffic even though its only a 5-10 minute drive to the venue on a regular day.

===

LA to Coachella - 2+ Hours (Traffic is bad on weekends)
Ontario to Coachella - 1.5+ Hours (Traffic is...okay on weekends)
Palm Springs to Coachella - 20-30 Minutes. (Hardly any traffic on that freeway)

===

I suggest taking the Washington Avenue exit. It will be a lot faster since Jefferson Street has construction and the construction companies here are terrible and slow and probably won't finsish by the time Coachella is here. So once you take the Washington Avenue exit take a right and drive down until you reach 50th and take a left onto 50th. It's about a 3 mile drive. It's past Highway 111.

Rhydz
01-29-2007, 11:07 AM
Hi. I'm an Australian who recently moved to Houston so I'm pretty knew to the US of A. Anyways I got a 3 day pass for my self and my girl friend along with 2 camping passes.

I'm wondering if we fly into LAX from IAH how do we get to coachella.

I noticed that Greyhound does not have a terminal at LAX so we would have to make our way to downtown (i.e. 1716 E 7TH ST, Los Angeles, CA 90021 where the bus terminal is located). From there we would catch the bus to Indio and walk to coachella its only roughly an hours walk?

My question is how do people usually get from LAX to Coachella?

What time/dates can you enter the camp grounds? Do they shut at all?

Meadowsmeister
01-29-2007, 12:28 PM
ello mate. Im english.

We're getting the amtrak train from Union station (also in downtown) to Palm springs Int. Airport. Then we're getting a cab up to the polo fields (or as close as possible) if you like, we could get a big cab, and split it (work out much faster, and even if you dont have the cash strapped, im pretty well off, and im covering the cab anyway)

so PM me if your interested in splitting the journey (that goes to everyone!)

-Chris.

Courtney
01-29-2007, 12:38 PM
I noticed that Greyhound does not have a terminal at LAX so we would have to make our way to downtown (i.e. 1716 E 7TH ST, Los Angeles, CA 90021 where the bus terminal is located). From there we would catch the bus to Indio and walk to coachella its only roughly an hours walk?

My question is how do people usually get from LAX to Coachella?

The best way to get to Coachella is to rent a car or rideshare. But if you insist on taking the bus, you can find information about how to get from LAX to the downtown Greyhound station here (or you could take a cab too):
http://www.lawa.org/lax/laxFAQs.cfm#q5

What time/dates can you enter the camp grounds? Do they shut at all?

http://www.coachella.com/visitors/onsite-camping

Courtney
01-29-2007, 12:41 PM
ello mate. Im english.

We're getting the amtrak train from Union station (also in downtown) to Palm springs Int. Airport. Then we're getting a cab up to the polo fields (or as close as possible) if you like, we could get a big cab, and split it (work out much faster, and even if you dont have the cash strapped, im pretty well off, and im covering the cab anyway)

so PM me if your interested in splitting the journey (that goes to everyone!)

-Chris.

If you're taking Amtrak, you might be interested in knowing that there's a new shuttle bus that runs directly from LAX to Union Station. It's cheaper than taking a cab. You can read more about it here:
http://www.lawa.org/flyAwayInfo2.cfm

Meadowsmeister
01-29-2007, 03:15 PM
thanks for that!

shoegazer76
01-29-2007, 03:19 PM
Check out flights into Vegas too. About a 2 1/2 hour drive from there. I flew in the past two years to Vegas. I'm sure you can catch a Greyhound from there. I may be looking into sharing gas & car rental expenses.

york707
01-29-2007, 03:51 PM
Get thee to the Carpool forum.

Rhydz
01-30-2007, 07:38 AM
do you know the location on google maps where coachella will be so i can work out how far the walk is from the grey hound station in indio.

Chris how much are you expecting the taxi fare to be?

ayla123
01-30-2007, 08:13 AM
do you know the location on google maps where coachella will be so i can work out how far the walk is from the grey hound station in indio.

Chris how much are you expecting the taxi fare to be?

Hey Rhydz,
The address is listed on the Coachella directions page:
http://coachella.com/event/directions

EMPIRE POLO FIELD
81-800 AVENUE 51
INDIO, CA 92201

Rhydz
01-30-2007, 10:57 AM
is it next to the plantation golf club?

devilray223
01-30-2007, 11:02 AM
I love how everyone thinks public transportation or buses are going to be an easy way to get to coachella. It would be nice, and should be an easier option. But in southern california, public transportation sucks, everything is spread out and having a car is a must.

Coachella is 2 1/2 hours away from LAX and it will be very difficult to get there without driving. Onatario is about 1 hour away from coachella and will still be difficult to get to coachella. Palm Springs is the only option. You can take the public buses and get into Indio. And a cab ride will only be around 60 bucks.

ayla123
01-30-2007, 11:45 AM
I love how everyone thinks public transportation or buses are going to be an easy way to get to coachella. It would be nice, and should be an easier option. But in southern california, public transportation sucks, everything is spread out and having a car is a must.

Coachella is 2 1/2 hours away from LAX and it will be very difficult to get there without driving. Onatario is about 1 hour away from coachella and will still be difficult to get to coachella. Palm Springs is the only option. You can take the public buses and get into Indio. And a cab ride will only be around 60 bucks.

Thanks devilray, it's hard to know what to expect when you're not familiar with the area. I think I'll fly into Palm Springs because it just seems like it will be the least hassle (2 hours each way for LAX + LA traffic? Ugh!) and I have a free flight on miles :cool:. But I'm having trouble convincing my friends to spend the extra money on the plane ticket to PSP vs LAX. Aside from the sheer convenience factor (time saved is money saved in my book) it just seems that the cost of ground transportation from LAX is gonna bring it up to even anyway!