PDA

View Full Version : Gogol Bordello in San Diego

Sexecutioner
08-27-2007, 11:08 PM
oh man, what a fuckin show! my ears are still ringing like crazy. i got some pretty sweet video footage near the end, and a few good pics as well. ill post them as soon as i can. it was crazy, they had metal detectors when i walked in, so i was kind of tripping on my camera, especially since they have hassled me bad at another HOB, but i got lucky and the guy was talking to somebody else and just let me walk right by without even checking me with the wand. i kept looking around and i think i was the only person with a camera. some dude behind me told me i had to put my footage on the net, lol.

for coachella i was kind of far back, but in this awesome venue i was so damn close, and it made it so much better! granted there is something to be said for seeing a show in the middle of the fuckin desert, but the intimacy made this almost as nice. i was bummed they didnt crowd surf on the drum, since i had told my friends about it, but needless to say they were still blown away. for anybody who was there, or who will be going to see them soon...2 words: FUCK YES!

i know this isnt a very good review of the show, but im wasted and dont have time to describe it very well right now. ill give a review with the shit from my camera soon. it speaks better than i do.

ps. damn it was hot in there!

rage patton
08-27-2007, 11:13 PM
Good to hear it was a great show! Too bad you too far back at Coachella. I was almost touching the drum there.

They didnt do the drum there though? Oh well, perhaps HOB said no for some reason. I am seeing them at Bumbershoot and I hope they do it there!

Its hard to capture a Gogol show in words, I know.

theburiedlife
08-27-2007, 11:19 PM
I wanted to go to that show so badly, le sigh.

Sexecutioner
08-27-2007, 11:29 PM
Good to hear it was a great show! Too bad you too far back at Coachella. I was almost touching the drum there.

yea, i had my girl in tow at coachella. she came with me this time too, but i was able to leave her with friends to hit up the pit for a while this time. shes usually a trooper though and will head up there with me if its just us, but if she has the choice, she will stay back a bit...best concert buddy.

I wanted to go to that show so badly, le sigh.

dude, i cant believe how sold out it was. there was a lot of people begging for tix outside. some guy said people had been hanging out there for hours trying to get tix. it was pretty packed inside too.

theburiedlife
08-27-2007, 11:34 PM
Yeah i bet man, the tickets weren't a problem. It was a fight between a couple of friends and me that set things off, otherwise i would have been supporting those drums upfront with you.

summerkid
08-27-2007, 11:53 PM
Yeah i bet man, the tickets weren't a problem. It was a fight between a couple of friends and me that set things off, otherwise i would have been supporting those drums upfront with you.

haha i was at wilco. Andy no excuse for not going to one of the shows tonight no excuse tsk tsk tsk.

Sexecutioner
08-28-2007, 06:58 AM
Gogol covering Manu Chao last night:

1UZihgAQAAQ

M Sparks
08-28-2007, 07:34 AM
I'm always surprised when that little guy comes out...I forget about him.

clarky123
08-28-2007, 07:38 AM
I like the Russian "Salty Old Seadog!" violinist in this band.

keriann
08-28-2007, 07:52 AM
that looks fun as hell

Sexecutioner
08-28-2007, 08:00 AM
haha i was at wilco. Andy no excuse for not going to one of the shows tonight no excuse tsk tsk tsk.
you chose...poorly. haha, jk, that was a tough conflict to have. both at great venues, too.

that looks fun as hell
it was dude, it was. my ears are STILL RINGING!

TomAz
08-28-2007, 08:05 AM
October 24, Marquee Theatre. I am so there. Great video. I love that band.

Sexecutioner
08-28-2007, 08:19 AM
yea, i love the beginning of that video, he sees my camera and starts playing right to it.

here is some more pics, and a couple more vids as well: http://picasaweb.google.com/jransom22/GogolBordelloInSanDiego

disgustipated
08-28-2007, 09:12 AM
Sexecutioner...I was right next to you while you were taking that video, actually watching through your screen when that guy behind you said "he's getting great video".

The show was amazing. I was standing on the riser right behind the sound board for about 5 songs, it was a perfect view. Then we made our way up to the pit, rail, then finally on stage...thats right, on stage.

I was drenched.

The after party at the Kava lounge was cool too. Eugene played a DJ set and I danced with Sergei ( violinist) and the little asian drummers ( I forget their names, it was a long night) Then we went to the after-after party at the Kava lounge owners house...CARAAAZAY night.

unfortunately they found my camera, so I had to use my phone. I will post them as soon as I receive them in my email.

canexplain
08-28-2007, 09:25 AM
tnx for the vid , very cool ... ya know, the only thing i hate about taking vids is you cant dance .. you have to stand as still as possible of course to make it come out, then people rows back from you are saying, what a dork just standing there lol ... cr****

disgustipated
08-28-2007, 09:29 AM
not one soul was standing still in that place last night Ron, not one.

Sexecutioner
08-28-2007, 09:36 AM
Sexecutioner...I was right next to you while you were taking that video, actually watching through your screen when that guy behind you said "he's getting great video".

The show was amazing. I was standing on the riser right behind the sound board for about 5 songs, it was a perfect view. Then I made my way up to the pit, rail, then finally on stage...thats right, on stage. I was drenched.

The after party at the Kava lounge was cool too. Eugene played a DJ set and I danced with Sergei ( violinist) and the little asian drummers ( I forget their names, it was a long night) Then we went to the after-after party at the Kava lounge owners house...CARAAAZAY night.

unfortunately they found my camera, so I had to use my phone. I will post them as soon as I receive them in my email.

haha, nice. that was funny when the dude said that. i turned around with a big smile on my face. i think i was the only one in there with a camera. good job on getting up there. i tried to get up onstage too when everybody was jumping up there, but right before i tried, they stopped letting people, and the dude grabbed me tight and made sure i couldnt jump up there. i had my camera in one hand too, so couldnt maneuver very well as i was getting tossed over the railing.

i wish i could have gone to the afterparty, but knew i had a long day today, so we just went home after the show.

tnx for the vid , very cool ... ya know, the only thing i hate about taking vids is you cant dance .. you have to stand as still as possible of course to make it come out, then people rows back from you are saying, what a dork just standing there lol ... cr****

true dat. i try to take some video cuz i know ill appreciate it later when im trying to remember the show, but i can only do it for so long till i look around and see all the fun everybodys having and decide i need to do the same.

disgustipated
08-28-2007, 09:47 AM
the view from behind the soundboard

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p7/disgustipatedone/gogol.jpg

a bit closer

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p7/disgustipatedone/gogol2.jpg

Eugene the DJ

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p7/disgustipatedone/gogoldj1.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p7/disgustipatedone/gogoldj3.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p7/disgustipatedone/gogoldj2.jpg

p.s. this reminds me I need a new phone with a better camera.

M Sparks
08-28-2007, 09:58 AM
October 24, Marquee Theatre. I am so there. Great video. I love that band.

Waaaaaa?

I don't think I can financially justify going down for that, since I'm going to Vegoose. :(

TomAz
08-28-2007, 10:26 AM
Waaaaaa?

I don't think I can financially justify going down for that, since I'm going to Vegoose. :(

well they're playing vegoose too right?

M Sparks
08-28-2007, 10:33 AM
well they're playing vegoose too right?

Yeah, that's what I mean...can't justify two trips in three days to see them.

I'm going to Muse at Mesa Amp, but that's 5 weeks before Vegoose, and I already had tickets before Vegoose was announced.

M Sparks
08-28-2007, 10:36 AM
I danced with ... the little asian drummers

Watch out...you don't want to get Elijah Wood mad at you. He gets mean when he's jealous.

PassiveTheory
08-28-2007, 11:13 AM
Glad you guys had fun... Definitely regret not getting tickets...

anti-square
08-28-2007, 11:41 AM
Looks like you were right behind me sexecutioner. I was the drunken asshole in a white tee on the rail. That show was a fucking blast. I literally feel like I am recovering from a long day at coachella!

You should upload the video on sharebig so I can dl it!

higgybaby23
08-28-2007, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the reviews, vids and pics everybody. I wish I could have been there, but I have to wait until Oct. 26 for the Tucson show.

FYI: The "asian dancers" are named Elizabeth and Pamela, and the "salty seadog" violinist is Sergey.

disgustipated
08-28-2007, 12:21 PM
yes thats it...they introduced themselves as Liz and Pam.

summerkid
08-28-2007, 12:22 PM
i think one of them is dating Elijah Wood.

M Sparks
08-28-2007, 12:32 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c6/Elijahandpammela-cannes.JPG/300px-Elijahandpammela-cannes.JPG

You'd think he could afford a taylor to hem those lil' pantlegs up.

disgustipated
08-28-2007, 12:54 PM
Almost forgot. I snagged the setlist from the sound guy...

Ultimate
Immigrant Punk
Sally
Not A Crime
East Infection
Zina Marina
Wonderlust King
Mishto
Tribal Connection
American Wedding
60 Revs
Start Wearing Purple
Fuck Globally

Harem In Tuscany
Punk Rock Paranda
Your Country

Ave B
Mala Vida
Baro Foro

edit: now that I can think again, this isn't the complete setlist. I remember an acoustic version of Alcohol.

rage patton
08-28-2007, 12:57 PM
Oh my god! They played Mala Vida!!!

Holy shit, I am excied now!!! They fuckin better play it at bumbershoot!!!

And by the way, thats a cover of a Mano Negra song, not Manu Caho. Mano Negra was the band Manu Chao was in before he went solo.

rage patton
08-28-2007, 12:58 PM
Second post... thats an awesome setlist!!! 2 encores!!! :)

How long were they playing for? 2 hours? 1 1/2 hours?

disgustipated
08-28-2007, 01:01 PM
a bit over two hours.

rage patton
08-28-2007, 01:09 PM
A bit over two hours... argh!!! I want to go to one of thier shows. Nnot just festival shows!

They are only playing for an hour and half! They need longer. They better play Mala Vida!

Oh, and how did the new material from Super Tarata sound?

anti-square
08-28-2007, 01:13 PM
the new material is ridiculous live!!! I was pleasantly surprised how awesome it sounded. Every single song had me pumped and jumping the whole time.

rage patton
08-28-2007, 01:23 PM
I find it funny they played Tribal Connection. Its one of thier slower songs, and I cant immagine how it translates live. Dont get me wrong, I like it. Did they speed it up or something?

I am however, somewhat disapointed they didnt play My Strange Uncles from Abroad. That is one of my favorite songs from the new album!
*double checks setlist*
Wait a second... they didnt play Supertheory of Supereverything!?!?! Are you sure that setlist is right?
Also, did they mix Undestructable with Baro Faro as thier final song, just like at Coachella? Or did they just play Baro Faro?

disgustipated
08-28-2007, 01:32 PM
"my strange uncles" was on East Infection as well.

I am assuming the setlist is correct, it was the list the sound guy had taped to the board, and I'm always way too into the show to keep up with the songs.

Yes the ending was a mix of the two, I thought it was never going to end.

Sexecutioner
08-28-2007, 02:01 PM
a bit over two hours.

i think it was actually just under 2 hours.

rage patton
08-28-2007, 02:01 PM
"my strange uncles" was on East Infection as well.

I am assuming the setlist is correct, it was the list the sound guy had taped to the board, and I'm always way to into the show to keep up with the songs.

Yes the ending was a mix of the two, I thought it was never going to end.

Really? I have searched high and low for their pre-Gypsy Punk stuff.. and not a single store carries it. When I have more money, I will order them off a website or something.

You thought it was never going to end... was that a good thing or a bad thing? Because I got the same feeling at Coachella... but I was embracing it! I wanted the show to never end! If Gogol played a 2 hour set, all 3 days at Coachella, I would have seen all 3 of them. No matter who the conflict or what the cost may be.

Sexecutioner
08-28-2007, 02:02 PM
And by the way, thats a cover of a Mano Negra song, not Manu Caho. Mano Negra was the band Manu Chao was in before he went solo.

whoops. my bad.

rage patton
08-28-2007, 02:05 PM
Haha, no problem. Most people think that is a Manu Chao song. Common mistake. If you havent listened to Mano Negra before, you should check them out.

disgustipated
08-28-2007, 02:08 PM
Get Voi-la Intruder, Multi Kontra Culti and East Infection if you can find them. There is also a 2 disc live album from the Casbah here in San Diego. Voi-la Intruder was the first album I heard and was instantly hooked.

Believe me, I embraced every moment of the finale.

i think it was actually just under 2 hours.

They came on at exactly 9:07 and walked off around 11:15-11:20

rage patton
08-28-2007, 02:24 PM
Believe me, I embraced every moment of the finale.

Oh, I believe you.

At Bumbershoot they play from 9-10:30. I hope they play longer though. Panic! At the Disco are at another stage until 11. And I dont even wanna hear them on my way out.

Sexecutioner
08-28-2007, 02:50 PM
They came on at exactly 9:07 and walked off around 11:15-11:20

you are right about the start, but i thought they finished at 11 or so. i remember looking at my watch when we were outside on the street and it was 11:15, and that was after hanging out for a minute, then waiting for my friend to take a piss after the show. and i definitely didnt leave until it was over. the dj dude was coming on as we were about to leave. maybe my clock was wrong, but i dont think so. whatever though...

daftmonkey64
08-28-2007, 05:12 PM
Gogol covering Manu Chao last night:

1UZihgAQAAQ

DUDE! I'm the guy in the black pants that Eugene pulls onstage like halfway through that. There were two security gaurds holding me but he just yanked me up there. Too bad you cut away right when i did a huge stage dive, haha AWESOME vid dude. That show rocked everyone in the building, cant wait to go crazy at vegoose again.

p.s. i feel like a douche for asking this, but could someone tell me how to embed a video?

Sexecutioner
08-28-2007, 08:45 PM
DUDE! I'm the guy in the black pants that Eugene pulls onstage like halfway through that. There were two security gaurds holding me but he just yanked me up there. Too bad you cut away right when i did a huge stage dive, haha AWESOME vid dude. That show rocked everyone in the building, cant wait to go crazy at vegoose again.

p.s. i feel like a douche for asking this, but could someone tell me how to embed a video?

nice dude! but sorry i cut away before your dive. i was trying to film people who got up there, cuz i know i would be stoked if that happened to me and i found footage of it on the net.

somebody asked for the full quality vid of that, ill put it on share big soon and post a link...

theburiedlife
08-28-2007, 10:56 PM
Oh BTW Dailon, i was never INVITED to go see Wilco with you and your father, sheesh. I wasn't exactly prepared to see them by myself.

Bosco
08-28-2007, 11:10 PM
Gogol is one of those groups that need to play Coachella two years in a row.

BTW, they played a 2 hour set in Chicago with two encores, too. And IT PWND!!!!

rage patton
08-29-2007, 12:23 AM
I would love for Gogol to play Coachella next year!

However, they have basicaly been touring non stop since Coachella this year. And they have been bouncing all around the world. I think they may take a break for a while next year. However, you cant hold Eugene down! Soooo...

DJ Hutz for the Sahara next year! Now THAT would kick ass!

daftmonkey64
08-29-2007, 07:25 AM
yeah dude, just not DJ scratchy. that guy fuckin blew so much balls.

disgustipated
08-29-2007, 09:20 AM
Hutz spun the same stuff...although a bit smoother than Scratchy, he could not pull off the Sahara.

anti-square
08-29-2007, 09:42 AM
I don't know what you're talking about, I was definitely digging DJ Scratchy. He got the right vibe going right before the concert. Everyone around me was into it. Then again, we were right on the rail in the front.

rage patton
08-29-2007, 10:40 AM
So wait... Did Euegene and another DJ open up the show with a DJ set? Whats going on?

disgustipated
08-29-2007, 10:43 AM
No, Hutz spun at an after party.

anti-square
08-29-2007, 10:44 AM
Dj Scratchy opened... I think he meant Eugene spinning the afterparty

rage patton
08-29-2007, 10:44 AM
Ohhh, ok. I still think he could do the Sahara. Just like an afternoon one.

By the way, who did open up the show?

EDIT: Nevermind.

M Sparks
08-29-2007, 11:26 AM
Really? I have searched high and low for their pre-Gypsy Punk stuff.. and not a single store carries it.

I'd tell you you can everything from E-Music, but last time I mentioned it, I got accused of spamming.

So I won't mention it.

Sexecutioner
08-29-2007, 11:30 AM
Here are some videos i took in high quality if you want to download them:

http://cob22.sharebig.com/share.php?id=s12ehgeirssbUYd1V

Also, here are the pics I posted before, if you have picassa installed, you can download the whole album in high quality.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jransom22/GogolBordelloInSanDiego

higgybaby23
08-29-2007, 12:47 PM
Get Voi-la Intruder, Multi Kontra Culti and East Infection if you can find them. There is also a 2 disc live album from the Casbah here in San Diego.

Check out amazon.com. They have all the GB albums available except the live San Diego discs.

M Sparks
08-29-2007, 02:29 PM
Check out amazon.com. They have all the GB albums available except the live San Diego discs.

E-Music has the Live at the Casbah AND Live at Maxwell's. They are E-Music exclusives...there are no CDs.

But I can't mention it. Because E-Music sucks, and I'm a spammer, and I should just steal it from Limewire.

(Baro Foro is 20 minutes on the Casbah album)

disgustipated
08-29-2007, 07:52 PM
There are discs out there.

Casbah records every show for sale immediately afterwards.

chiapet
08-30-2007, 12:29 AM
Just got back from the SF show, which was a bit insane. First, I've got to say, in SF shows are a bit dead usually -- pit that's only several people deep, and with the rest of the crowd nodding their heads and being too cool to dance. Well, not tonight. Everybody in the place was moving. They went on around 9:40 or 9:45, ended around 11:30. Almost two hours including two encores. I didn't manage to keep track of the set list. Maybe someone will come along with it.

I did not fully appreciate at Coachella how hard working they are. Holy crap, most of the crowd looked dead tired after about an hour or hour-and-a-half, but no one wanted to stop dancing. (Regretting that a bit now, and realizing I'm going to be very very sore tomorrow). They did not do the drum crowd surfing in SF either. Really doubt that's something they can do in the venues they're playing.

One thing I do have to say though... as great as tonight was, I preferred the set at Coachella. The show tonight at the Fillmore was almost twice as long as the Coachella set, and of course better sound, (slightly) more space, but the crowd just didn't feel the same at all. Really made me appreciative of the really friendly pit at the Coachella show.

rage patton
08-30-2007, 01:03 AM
What kind of venues are they playing down in Cali? In Vancouver, they are playing a 19+ gig at a small venue. Needless to say, it sold out very quick. So quickly infact, they had to upgrade to a bigger venue, but still pretty small ~900 capacity. Those tickets sold out right away as well.

Anways, so what venues are they playing down there? Perhaps these venues are stricht and told them they are not allowed to do the drum thing. But Gogol Bordello doesnt seem like the kind of band to listen to that... I am still looking forward to Bumbershoot and Vegoose!

chiapet
08-30-2007, 06:00 AM
In SF, they played the Fillmore, which isn't a "huge" venue, but maybe 1300-1500 capacity. I think they are more strict in policy though.

M Sparks
08-30-2007, 08:19 AM
Gogol Bordello doesnt seem like the kind of band to listen to that...

"I'M A GROWN MAN, I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING!"

disgustipated
08-30-2007, 09:45 AM
funny...

rage patton
08-30-2007, 01:53 PM
"I'M A GROWN MAN, I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING!"

OH MY GOD! I was laughing soooooooooooooooooooo hard when he said that! I was actually so close to him when he said that, I heard his actual voice! Not just his voice through the sound system. Teaches those guards! But seriously, secuirty looked so confused the ENTIRE time of the Gogol Bordello set at Coachella. I loved it.

I think, next to that one, my favorite thing Eugene said was "This song is proven a very effective in party atmosphere!" *kicks off Not A Crime*

:)